click image to open Templot Club in a new tab
Templot club top logo
looking for Templot? - (free)

you are not logged in  - Login | Join

receive all messages by email: info

Recent Topics
Front Page  Search  Image Gallery  Gallery Upload  My Account  Members  Help  
make a donation  
please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors Templot Companion - User Guide
            messages archive on Yahoo
page trail:  Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > 3D Printed Track and Turnouts
Templot web site

Rating                           3D Printed Track and Turnouts
  Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  2  3  4  5  6  7       
 Start new topic   Reply blank   Printer friendly 
  Rate this topic  
AuthorMessage
 Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
241st message | this message only posted: 4 Mar 2018 23:22
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank 
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
To align the chair's jaws with the rail you have to rotate it around the Z-axis. To do that, grab the X-axis handle with a "left click and hold" on the green green blob beside the X. Now drag the cursor to where the rail line intersects the edge of the timber and release the left mouse button.

That should result in the next two screen grabs.

Now deselect that chair by left clicking on a blank bit of the drawing. Right click and select the 3-D view and you should see something like this.

That chair is done. You can make it look nicer by left clicking and selecting one of the teacups to change the rendering, but you really don't want to do that once there are a lot of chairs on the template except to check that the entire model is complete.

We only had to rotate that chair a few degrees to align it with the rail. Had it been on the opposed rail we would have had to rotate it by an additional 180 degrees but the method is exactly the same.

Here's the chair again in "solid" mode.

Happy plonking!

Andy

Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
242nd message | this message only posted: 4 Mar 2018 23:52
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Please do not send requests for help direct to me via email or PM.

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Hi Andy,

Thanks for posting this stuff. :)

My TurboCAD Deluxe looks a bit different from yours. I can't find anywhere in the options to change it:

Note that mine is version 20.2 whereas yours is 21.2. Both 64-bit versions. But it tells me it is up-to-date and no updates are available. :?

What's more, it refused to load your TCW file, saying it had no filter available for that format. :?

However, it agreed to load the DXF, as you can see.

cheers,

Martin.

243rd message | this message only posted: 5 Mar 2018 00:17
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
By the way, I'm using TurboCAD Deluxe version 21 which came out around 2015 and has been superseded by TurboCAD Deluxe 2016 and 2017 (confusing, isn't it.)

Version 2016 is still available and less expensive. It's all you need for this. Even older versions will probably work too and some of them seem to be available for free download (legal or not I know not), but they will likely only run on XP and Vista.

244th message | this message only posted: 5 Mar 2018 00:26
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote: Hi Andy,

Thanks for posting this stuff. :)

My TurboCAD Deluxe looks a bit different from yours. I can't find anywhere in the options to change it:

Note that mine is version 20.2 whereas yours is 21.2. Both 64-bit versions. But it tells me it is up-to-date and no updates are available. :?

What's more, it refused to load your TCW file, saying it had no filter available for that format. :?

However, it agreed to load the DXF, as you can see.

cheers,

Martin.

The swines!

Looks like I can back rev the file to Version 18.

Here it is for Version 20.

Cheers!
ab

245th message | this message only posted: 5 Mar 2018 00:33
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Andrew Barrowman wrote:Here it is for Version 20.Hi Andy,

Thanks. It agreed to load that one.

So it seems I purchased version 20 (it was a special offer, around £10 I think), with no means to upgrade to 21 or later?

You would think they would at least try to sell me the later upgrades, rather than "no upgrades are available". :?

cheers,

Martin.

246th message | this message only posted: 5 Mar 2018 00:35
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
BTW Martin,

Is your monitor a modified Bush console TV or a Kindle?

Looks a bit on the small side :)

ab

247th message | this message only posted: 5 Mar 2018 00:45
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote:
You would think they would at least try to sell me the later upgrades, rather than "no upgrades are available".
I've noticed they do seem to go for a "take no prisoners" approach to marketing, although there probably was an upgrade opportunity on 20 for a limited time. On the other hand their software is extremely powerful, reasonably robust and dirt cheap compared with "professional" products.

They used to sell the Pro version outright but they are now trying to get an annual license fee for it. I can't say I blame them considering how much they must have invested in it.

248th message | this message only posted: 5 Mar 2018 00:52
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Andrew Barrowman wrote: Is your monitor a modified Bush console TV or a Kindle? :)

I restored down on the window to make a sensible screenshot size for posting. I'm not working at that size.

cheers,

Martin.

249th message | this message only posted: 5 Mar 2018 14:55
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides

250th message | this message only posted: 5 Mar 2018 15:24
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Thanks Andy.

Downloaded the upgrade, but no joy. It wants a serial number, and the only one I have, from the CD, is declared invalid. :(

Strangely, there is no mention of paying money to get one.

Martin.

251st message | this message only posted: 5 Mar 2018 16:38
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote: Thanks Andy.

Downloaded the upgrade, but no joy. It wants a serial number, and the only one I have, from the CD, is declared invalid. :(

Strangely, there is no mention of paying money to get one.

Martin.
Hi Martin,

I don't think there is anything wrong with your version. It's the way it's configured. Try this (from the manual):

"Customizing the UI
You can customize toolbars, menus, keyboard, and your IntelliMouse (if you use one).
You can invoke the Customize window at any time by right-clicking in any blank toolbar area.
Note: If you prefer an older interface for customizing toolbars and menus, select UI Themes, and select the classic interface.
Whenever you make changes to the UI settings it is best to save the Workspace file (under the Options tab accessed via Tools|Customize) in
order to accurately retain your changes."

Andy

252nd message | this message only posted: 5 Mar 2018 18:33
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,

When I saved my TC configuration it created two files in:
Documents - TurboCAD Deluxe21 - Config

You might be able to load them into your config folder then select my configuration via Tools - Workspace - Customize>

First file attached. It's a .xml

The second is a .xcfg which won't go. I'll try to fake the extension.

253rd message | this message only posted: 5 Mar 2018 18:37
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
I faked the extension to .dxf

You'll need to change it back to .xcfg

Andy

254th message | this message only posted: 5 Mar 2018 19:47
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
There are a few ways to make the timbers 3-D but this might be the most obvious.

You are going to draw a rotated box with a negative height (the reference plane is the top surface of the timers) aligned with the imported timber outline.

First set the Snap Mode to "vertex" (see the tools pallet to the right) then select:

Draw - 3D object - 3D Primitives - Rotated Box. Then on the "Inspector bar" (bottom LHS of the screen grab) type -1.2 into the height box and lock it by left clicking on the little padlock.

Now select a first corner of the timber, then a second, then the third. You should now see a 3-D timber. Rinse and repeat for all the other timbers (although as I mentioned earlier it's best to do that after all the chairs are in position.

255th message | this message only posted: 6 Mar 2018 10:35
Borg-Rail
Sandbach, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Sorry to butt in but I just have a small question.

This is something that I know I need to get into sooner rather than later but anticipate something of a learning curve as I've only ever done a small amount of 2D stuff.
However my initial question is, is it necessary to have the Lightworks Plugin for v22 to do the rendering?

256th message | this message only posted: 6 Mar 2018 16:19
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Borg-Rail wrote: Sorry to butt in but I just have a small question.

This is something that I know I need to get into sooner rather than later but anticipate something of a learning curve as I've only ever done a small amount of 2D stuff.
However my initial question is, is it necessary to have the Lightworks Plugin for v22 to do the rendering?
Hi,Not required. You'd only need it to produce photorealistic renderings.
Rgds, ab

257th message | this message only posted: 7 Mar 2018 06:59
Borg-Rail
Sandbach, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Thanks

258th message | this message only posted: 18 Mar 2018 00:03
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
If you want to experiment a bit I've made this crossing available on Shapeways (at cost).
Look there for "Trackoman".

Catchy, isn't it :)

259th message | this message only posted: 18 Mar 2018 00:32
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Andrew Barrowman wrote: If you want to experiment a bit I've made this crossing available on Shapeways (at cost). Look there for "Trackoman".Hi Andy,

Thanks. Here's a link for everyone:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/DPA6YSSHU/turnout-crossing-prototype-00?optionId=65053770&li=marketplace

Andy, I think you need to step back and explain a bit more from the beginning, because I'm a bit confused about where you are heading. :?

That link is for your metal cap idea? Is there a corresponding switch section? Have you posted details anywhere about making the cap?

But your recent posts have been about threading normal rail? Using the idea of staggered chair offsets to provide some grip on the rail?

My preference is still for John's (hayfield) brilliant idea of printing a base with half-chairs on the gauge-face side only. There is then no problem in threading bent rails through full chairs. The prepared rails can be located firmly against the half-chairs and fixed by sticking outer half-chairs tightly against them, with the base providing all the gauging and alignment functions. And all self-adjusting for differing width of rail sections. I think it is such a good idea that he should have patented it before publishing it. :)

cheers,

Martin.

260th message | this message only posted: 18 Mar 2018 00:59
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote: Andrew Barrowman wrote: If you want to experiment a bit I've made this crossing available on Shapeways (at cost). Look there for "Trackoman".Hi Andy,

Thanks. Here's a link for everyone:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/DPA6YSSHU/turnout-crossing-prototype-00?optionId=65053770&li=marketplace

Andy, I think you need to step back and explain a bit more from the beginning, because I'm a bit confused about where you are heading. :?

That link is for your metal cap idea? Is there a corresponding switch section? Have you posted details anywhere about making the cap?

But your recent posts have been about threading normal rail? Using the idea of staggered chair offsets to provide some grip on the rail?

My preference is still for John's (hayfield) brilliant idea of printing a base with half-chairs on the gauge-face side only. There is then no problem in threading bent rails through full chairs. The prepared rails can be located firmly against the half-chairs and fixed by sticking outer half-chairs tightly against them, with the base providing all the gauging and alignment functions. And all self-adjusting for differing width of rail sections. I think it is such a good idea that he should have patented it before publishing it. :)

cheers,

Martin.
Hi Martin,

Actually, I really don't care :)

The whole idea is to get people interested in using 3D printing methods based on Templot to print turnouts. They might print them using a service like Shapeways, or they might print them on their own 3D printers.

Either way I have no commercial interest. I am quite happy to share my models, such as they are. It's just a hobby.

Best,

Andrew

261st message | this message only posted: 18 Mar 2018 01:40
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Andrew Barrowman wrote:Actually, I really don't care :)Hi Andy,

I think we share the same failing. I know what I'm doing with Templot. You know what you are doing with your 3D printer.

The bit where we fail is the explaining to others. No-one else has the faintest idea what we are talking about or where we are trying to get to. :(

cheers,

Martin.

262nd message | this message only posted: 18 Mar 2018 09:01
Charles Orr
Leicester, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Andrew,

Did you say that you were going to make the stl files available?

I am very interested in trying to print them myself.

Regards

Charles

263rd message | this message only posted: 18 Mar 2018 19:02
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Charles Orr wrote: Andrew,

Did you say that you were going to make the stl files available?

I am very interested in trying to print them myself.

Regards

Charles

Hi Charles,

Certainly, yes - I'm attaching the stl file for the track sample I posted Feb 5. It's probably best to start there to see if you can get your printer to produce similar results before launching into a turnout. The chair jaws on that sample are sized to accept SMP rail which is a bit on the thin side. Thicker rail might break the chairs.

Let me know if you have a CAD program. I can post the model in other file formats which might allow you to edit it.

Cheers!

Andy

264th message | this message only posted: 18 Mar 2018 19:10
Charles Orr

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Andrew,

I'm going to print that now and see how it comes out.

I do have a copy of TurboCad.

I'll post a picture when It's completed.

Many thanks,

Charles

265th message | this message only posted: 18 Mar 2018 19:22
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Charles,

Is that TC Deluxe or Pro, and which version number?

Don't be too surprised it the print turns out a bit different. I'm using a 0.2mm extruder nozzle and double step x and y motors. I'm not really sure that the motors make much difference to the x/y resolution but the small nozzle does help - and it also slows things down quite a bit :)

Andy

266th message | this message only posted: 21 Mar 2018 12:46
Charles Orr

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Andy,

First attempt was not successful.  

I have a 0.4mm nozzle on my Prusa I3 Mk3 and tried PLA with a 0.2mm layer height.

Print looked OK initially but came off the bed as separate timbers.  The web was not not strong enough.

I have the deluxe version of TurboCad V24 2017 V24

Regards

Charles

267th message | this message only posted: 21 Mar 2018 20:41
Trevor Walling
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote: Andrew Barrowman wrote:Actually, I really don't care :)Hi Andy,

I think we share the same failing. I know what I'm doing with Templot. You know what you are doing with your 3D printer.

The bit where we fail is the explaining to others. No-one else has the faintest idea what we are talking about or where we are trying to get to. :(

cheers,

Martin.
Hello,
       The bit in bold may be true but I think most of us are enjoying the journey.
Regards,:)

268th message | this message only posted: 21 Mar 2018 22:19
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Charles Orr wrote: Hi Andy,

First attempt was not successful.  

I have a 0.4mm nozzle on my Prusa I3 Mk3 and tried PLA with a 0.2mm layer height.

Print looked OK initially but came off the bed as separate timbers.  The web was not not strong enough.

I have the deluxe version of TurboCad V24 2017 V24

Regards

Charles
Hi Charles,

I've never had that particular problem, but the web is a bit thin. (I'm using a layer thickness of 0.15 mm. )

How did the chairs turn out? Are they remotely acceptable?

That model was created in TC Pro. I'll create a version for TC Deluxe so you can edit it. That will take a little while.

Regards,

Andy

269th message | this message only posted: 21 Mar 2018 22:33
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Trevor Walling wrote: Martin Wynne wrote: Andrew Barrowman wrote:Actually, I really don't care :)Hi Andy,

cheers,

Martin.
Hello,
       The bit in bold may be true but I think most of us are enjoying the journey.
Regards,:)
Hi Trevor,

It is all a bit "experimental", although some might drop the first three syllables.

I had a cunning plan. To find out how many people were really interested in the super-high-definition versions from Shapeways I thought I'd make the print available, at cost, to anyone who wanted to examine the genuine article. Assuming I understand how Shapeways works the result, so far, has been a tad underwhelming. (In fact sales are zero :) )

Cheers!

Andy

270th message | this message only posted: 22 Mar 2018 11:01
Charles Orr

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Andy,

Chairs were OK.

I'm away from home at the moment, but I'll experiment with different settings next week.

Regards

Charles

271st message | this message only posted: 13 Apr 2018 18:56
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
The rail "cap" idea has some pluses and minuses and one of the minuses is higher electrical resistance due to the small cross sectional area (CSA) of the metal cap. SMP Code 75 rail has a CSA of 1 square millimeter. The cap has a CSA almost four times smaller (0.284 sq. mm).

However, after a bit of poking about I've found that phosphor bronze can be 7.5 times more conductive than nickel silver. Of course not everyone likes the appearance of phosphor bronze rail.

You cant win 'em all :)

272nd message | this message only posted: 13 Apr 2018 23:42
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hi Andy,

Have you found a way of making the cap in long lengths? If not the conductivity hardly seems relevant -- you will be having a dropper connection every few inches.

What is the thickness of the cap? It's going to be about 2mm wide strip, folded, so I suspect that is plenty of cross-section to conduct the current for a typical model motor without any undue voltage drop.

If it is say 5 thou thick, that's 0.13mm x 2mm = 0.26mm^2. For a copper wire that would be rated around 2-3 amps over several yards, so for say 300mA over a few inches nickel-silver should be no problem.

cheers,

Martin.

273rd message | this message only posted: 14 Apr 2018 00:44
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote: Hi Andy,

Have you found a way of making the cap in long lengths? If not the conductivity hardly seems relevant -- you will be having a dropper connection every few inches.

What is the thickness of the cap? It's going to be about 2mm wide strip, folded, so I suspect that is plenty of cross-section to conduct the current for a typical model motor without any undue voltage drop.

If it is say 5 thou thick, that's 0.13mm x 2mm = 0.26mm^2. For a copper wire that would be rated around 2-3 amps over several yards, so for say 300mA over a few inches nickel-silver should be no problem.

cheers,

Martin.

Hi Martin,

Greetings from the Pacific Northwet. It's chucking it down here :)

My stamping tool can make 9" long caps but I'm sure someone who actually knows what they are doing would be able to make them much longer. 18" might be about right.

The cap's CSA is 0.28 sq mm. That would be fine if it was copper, but the conductivity of NS is only 6.4% that of copper (which is why we always need all those stinking droppers :). There can be some pretty substantial currents flowing with DCC - several amps. If a turnout was not properly shunted there could be serious voltage drops and things might even get a bit toasty.

The conductivity of phosphor bronze can be 48% of copper (depends on the alloy - hopefully it does not have a trace of unobtainium.)  P-bronze caps would actually have less resistance than solid NS rail. Whether it's possible to actually make caps from P-bronze is another matter of course, but I think it should be possible.

Cheers,
Andy

274th message | this message only posted: 14 Apr 2018 01:32
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Andrew Barrowman wrote:There can be some pretty substantial currents flowing with DCC - several amps.But not in the rail? That's what the bus wires are for. Even if a rail is in yard lengths it is unlikely that any one rail will have more than say 2 locos on it at any one time, drawing maybe 500mA total, and even then at least one of them is likely to be close to the dropper wire.

I see DCC rated at say 5 amps and I wonder where all that power is going -- 5 amps at 20 volts is 100W being dissipated somewhere. Either there are 10 trains running fast at once, or something must be glowing in the dark.

cheers,

Martin.  

275th message | this message only posted: 14 Apr 2018 01:52
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote: Andrew Barrowman wrote:There can be some pretty substantial currents flowing with DCC - several amps.But not in the rail? That's what the bus wires are for. Even if a rail is in yard lengths it is unlikely that any one rail will have more than say 2 locos on it at any one time, drawing maybe 500mA total, and even then at least one of them is likely to be close to the dropper wire.

I see DCC rated at say 5 amps and I wonder where all that power is going -- 5 amps at 20 volts is 100W being dissipated somewhere. Either there are 10 trains running fast at once, or something must be glowing in the dark.

cheers,

Martin.  

Alas, you are assuming people actually do it properly :)  I'm willing to bet there are a lot of DCC layouts out there that don't have any bus wires at all. What makes it worse is that DCC cheerfully compensates for voltage drops.

This is topic ID = 2734     Page created at 12:08 (local time) Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  2  3  4  5  6  7     
You can type a quick reply to this topic here.

Click in the box to begin.

But to reply to an individual message, or to include images, attachments and formatted text, use the reply buttons on each message above.

To start a new topic in this forum, click the Start new topic button below.
To start a new topic in a different forum, click the Forum Jump drop-down list below.

Start new topic 

click to jump to a different forum:     Back to top of page

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > 3D Printed Track and Turnouts
about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Old Templot Companion Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines only

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2018