topic: 2737Help please adding a background shape
author remove search highlighting

posted: 22 Aug 2015 11:09

Hayfield

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Could someone give me a bit of help please as I am having a senior moment in trying to add a background shape My club is in the process of building a new layout Belmont on the old Stanmore to Harrow Weald Line. When loading the previous plan I ended up with a miniscule plan which somehow I managed to enlarge. I would line to get the latest hand drawn plan in at the correct size please I open Background shapes, then go to add a shape. I chose scanned model trackplan and this is where I am making a mistake. Its on a sheet of A4 297 mm x 210 mm The 2 boards total 8' long and are 1/9th scale. 255 mm long x 48 mm Please what do I enter in X dimensionY dimensionNo idea of the DPI so entered 150 in both as suggested and 9  for the scale now its come out at about 50 % too wide and what looks like 25% to long Also please how easy is it to move the shape to line it up with the bottom left corner and how to do it please
edit
One thought is to cut the plan from the paper and rescan, would that help in positioning it with the bottom left corner ?
Last edited on 22 Aug 2015 11:15 by Hayfield
posted: 22 Aug 2015 12:25

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi John,

To have the corner of the picture shape on the grid origin in the bottom left corner, set X and Y to zero (0). You will usually want the corner of the baseboards on the grid origin, which means you need to shift the shape afterwards (see 6. below).

Your dimensions are a bit confusing. If you have drawn boards 8ft long as 255mm, the drawing scale is 1 : 9.56

If entering 150dpi has produced incorrect results, obviously that was not the setting on your scanner. You should be able to set the dpi to whatever you want on the scanner preview dialog. I suggest 300dpi is a good setting to use.

If all that is too confusing, it may be easier to scale the image manually. Do this:

1. set the grid lines to 1ft spacing. That's trackpad > trackpad grid options > 1ft spacings menu item.

2. don't forget this. Click  trackpad > trackpad grid options > grid in front of shapes menu item.

3. don't forget this. Click geometry > notch > reset notch on grid origin menu item.*

4. add the picture shape and select the green bar option other map, drawing or diagram.

5. set  X=0,  Y=0,  picture width = your best guess, say 2400 mm.

6. click action > mouse actions: shapes > shift shape menu item.

7. using the mouse, move the image so that the corner of the baseboards (not the corner of the paper) is over the bottom left grid origin lines.

8. it may be a good idea to zoom in while doing this for greater accuracy.

9. zoom out again so that you can see all of the image.

10. click action > mouse actions: shapes > scale shape menu item.

11. using the mouse, adjust the size of the image until it matches the 1ft grid lines.

12. it may be a good idea to zoom in on the top right corner while doing this for greater accuracy.

When you have it right, don't forget to save your background shapes file (.BGS file) before quitting the Templot session.

If all that is too difficult, please attach your scanned image here and I will scale it for you. :)

(*more experienced users may not realise that by default image scaling takes place referenced (locked) to the notch location, which you can move to other locations over the image if you wish. This is useful if you have some existing templates on the trackpad, or multiple overlapped picture shapes. There are other options on the background shapes dialog to lock scaling to the grid -- i.e. to the bottom left corner, or to the spacing-ring instead.)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 22 Aug 2015 13:29

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Martin
Thank you very much and when you know how its quite easy, should be out painting the soffits and will do now but here is a quick download, the bridge end is not quite decided on as we have had to make a few compromises. This is a rough and I will need to tidy it up a bit, but that's later
We plan to make a half size card mock up, just to have an idea of what goes where and has it a balanced look.
At the Stanmore end we plan to make a representation of the narrow gauge railway used by the contractors building the housing
The club has had to move premises and are planning to make a quickie layout based about the 30's LMS period. (I hope they will let the odd LNWR loco on) It will be built to 00-sf using the Exactoscale plastic track parts and fastrack bases. The reasoning behind this is the strength given with these components and detail that can be achieved. As it will not have a permanent home and hopefully will go on the exhibition circuit.
We have quite a bit of detail but would like more on both the station buildings and signal box
Attachment: attach_2153_2737_Belmont_station_4.box     237

posted: 11 Oct 2015 14:03

Jubilee42

Rødovre - Denmark

Hi
This is a separate but vaguely related question. I have with success got a scanned track sketch as my background shape, but when my brain begins to fry I turn Templot off for a rest! When I turn it on again the track comes back, but the background image doesn't. It also doesn't appear in the shapes box until I click on recent files. So I can get it back, but I'd rather it just sat there from the start. Is that possible?

posted: 11 Oct 2015 14:23

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Jubilee42 wrote:
When I turn it on again the track comes back, but the background image doesn't. It also doesn't appear in the shapes box until I click on recent files. So I can get it back, but I'd rather it just sat there from the start. Is that possible?
Hi,

Re-save your background shapes with the file name start .

Templot will then load it automatically on startup. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 11 Oct 2015 23:01

Jubilee42

Rødovre - Denmark

You're quite right! It does! Thanks!

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Help please adding a background shape
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020