Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 2740Unusual trackwork/ optical illusion/ me losing the plot?
author remove search highlighting

posted: 1 Sep 2015 15:16

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hello all.
I'm sorry but I'm on the scrounge for information again. Can anyone work out what is happening here?

What I was expecting to find was a short turnout (A6) with the toe leading onto a diamond. The road above the green arrow and between the blokes bisects the other two (which should be down to one road BEFORE the diamond). The two closest roads must lead through the diamond and from there out onto the main line-  I presume that as it has a ground signal, whereas the rest of the shed is of course not signalled.
However, looking at the red arrow head, there's no wing rails, although you can just make out what I think is the turnout blade for the check rail closest to the camera.
What is puzzling me is just above to the right of the red arrow, it looks like another rail curving away like you would expect in a (single) slip. If it is a single slip then where does the opposite corner continue to? It LOOKS like the road between the blokes, but that would make no sense whatsoever.
Could this be a standard turnout interlaced with a single slip? I think I've seen such photos here and elsewhere for main important junctions, but never on a loco shed. (that said, this was rebuilt in 1908 and maybe had to have complicated track work to keep to existing space).
As Martin says- I cannot understand why people wait until there's a train in the way before taking photos of the track.
Below the photo I have a rough Templot outline of what I expected to find and also a small 1920's map extract.
Any opinions on this would be appreciated. It's either I find a solution or I take tranquilisers.Derek

Attachment: attach_2154_2740_strangetrackboghallshed.jpg     668
Last edited on 23 Sep 2015 17:34 by DerekStuart
posted: 13 Oct 2015 22:10

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hi Derek.
The fact that the piece of trackwork is half off the picture does not help with seeing what is there. The road in front of the loco beyond the ground disc has a double bladed trap in it, although only the nearest switch blade is visible, to protect the running line. It would follow that the right hand track would also need the same provision. The switch blade you can see that looks like part of a slip road would be the left blade of another double bladed trap. The fact that it appears very rusty is evidence that this is the case.
Tony W.

posted: 13 Oct 2015 22:44

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

Hello Tony
Thanks for that. I can see the trap immediately behind the loco.

I have since plotted this in Templot using many different sources (drawing lines on 1910 and 1928 OS maps lined up with streets, buildings etc and then repeated on a modern google map) to plot the location of the various items and have concluded that the picture is:

behind the loco is a trailing left hand A6 and on the diverging road from that turnout after about 6ft there is a right hand A6. It is the only combination that fits. As for it being a 7 chair check rail- this turnout originally was interlaced and had a 5 chair (whether or not it is interlaced there I cannot say). Best guess is that 2 timbers were rotten so they stuck a longer check rail to be sure that it was secured in enough locations.

As for this being a slip- signalling diagrams given to me would suggest that it is indeed a simple diamond (about a 1 in 3 and a bit).

A 1920s drawing that I have seen a copy of shows the trap and another trap on the diverging/joining branch of the turnout as you say.

If you look at (David Hey's site is excellent)

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page20.htm

go down to the Goathland picture and just in front of the water tower is a trap built into the turnout- and that is what I think I am looking at here. They are about 15 miles apart and probably built by the same crews, so likely the same design.

Would you agree?

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to that. It was really bugging me at the time. I have now spent some 600 hours trying to fact find over all these little issues and I think now I have a very accurate record for the whole site, probably down to less than 1% margin of error.

Thanks
Derek

posted: 13 Oct 2015 23:19

Tony W

Hi Derek.
I would agree except that the traps in the Goathland picture are single bladed, whereas the ones in the first picture must be double bladed to work. It is not uncommon to find traps in the middle of Turnouts where space was limited. I forgot to mention that there must also be another shunt signal out of shot to protect the other road exit.
Regards
Tony.

posted: 14 Oct 2015 00:10

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

"where space was limited"- that is a very good point. On the straight road, there was no real space issue, but on the diverging road after 6ft (I say that roughly as I don't have Templot on the work pc to check) there is the toe of the half-visible turnout and thus not enough space on that side.

So a conventional catch point on one side and the one built into the turnout for the other road.

Yes, there is another signal- although I don't have pictures of it, it is there on the diagram and- oddly- it is drawn as a quadrant flag (I believe that's the term)- a helpful chap on RMW showed me a picture of one leaving a yard and it was a low height and he tells me it was not unusual; I am assuming there's a very good reason not to use a ground dolly.

Thanks again
Derek

posted: 31 Aug 2020 01:24

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

Well I never thought it would happen- but today I found photographs of Whitby on the internet that I hadn't seen before.

Including this.

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p640292379/hA0F57125#ha0f57125

Mystery solved.

posted: 31 Aug 2020 17:52

Tony W

Just goes to show. Often someone somewhere will have taken a picture of the what you are looking for. If you are lucky they turn up. Usually after you have built it wrong!
Regards
Tony.

posted: 31 Aug 2020 18:32

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

You're right there, Tony. I've had a break of a couple of years and within 24 hours of coming back, I had dozens of new photographs that I'd previously never found.

Sadly, one still eludes me and it was one I lost when my last laptop failed. I know someone on RMW gave it to me, now I just need to work out who...

posted: 4 Oct 2020 18:14

Igor Kurgan

Netherlands

Tony W wrote: [highlight= rgb(248, 252, 255); color: rgb(153, 85, 0); font-style: italic;]Usually after you have built it wrong!
Regards
Tony.
Was that not mandatory?In my case a big y e s

posted: 4 Oct 2020 18:19

Igor Kurgan

Netherlands

DerekStuart wrote:
Sadly, one still eludes me and it was one I lost when my last laptop failed.
Always make a backup, especially in hobby's like this...I am used to it due to my work, so easy talk for me, i implemented my hobby's with it.
Label a USB stick as railways or something, with maps rail work, temp lot locos ect whatever.....For example, i would like to built curtain locos,very rare ones, i would hate it when all the pictures are gone and i have to google them again....for example: aa20 and the: big Joe or Hugh boy....good luck!
Not to speak of track plans.....
You accumulate a lot of data (thus a lot of time!) for your hobby, make a separate encyclopedia for it.
Just my two cent of thought.
With best regards, Igor
Last edited on 4 Oct 2020 18:25 by Igor Kurgan
posted: 5 Oct 2020 22:16

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

Hello Igor

You are of course quite correct. I was backing up the laptop daily for work reasons. Unfortunately I was not aware that it was only backing up the work folder rather than my personal files. It wasn't just railway stuff but bank, my address book etc.

I found a brilliant data recovery company that got most of it back, but sadly not all.

I now copy to HDD, USB and every now and then burn the lot to disc.

But on a positive note, had I not lost all that data then I'd not have been searching at all and not found the far greater range of data now available, nor had time to refine my Templot plan which I am now 99.99% convinced is greater than 0.01% ready.

Good luck with your loco builds; that's something I'm looking at now, but rather than bend and file sheet as most seem to do, I'm looking to design etches and get an etcher to do the hard work for me.

Best wishes
Derek

Templot Club > Forums > Prototype pics > Unusual trackwork/ optical illusion/ me losing the plot?
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020