Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 27424-SF / 00-SF in Templot
author remove search highlighting

posted: 9 Sep 2015 23:02

madscientist

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Martin, perhaps given that most templot users building 00-SF turnouts are going to connect it to 16.5 track that templot could be modified to flare the ends back to 16.5 for 00-SF. ?

Dave
Last edited on 9 Sep 2015 23:02 by madscientist
posted: 11 Sep 2015 18:32

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

madscientist wrote:
Martin, perhaps given that most Templot users building 00-SF turnouts are going to connect it to 16.5 track that Templot could be modified to flare the ends back to 16.5 for 00-SF. ?
Hi Dave,

I'm not too clear what you mean by "back" to 16.5mm? The track gauge for 00-SF is 16.2mm. I'm not convinced that the majority of users would connect it to 16.5mm track, and even then only for a few of the templates. A lot of users will be constructing 16.2mm plain track, if not for the entire layout then at least for short lengths within pointwork areas.

Handbuilt plain track allows jointed track to be properly modelled with closed-up sleeper spacing at the rail joints, correct pattern chairs, full-length keys protruding on one side of the chair, etc.

If desired, any plain track templates on an 00-SF track plan can be changed to 16.5mm gauge. Just select them as a group, then click the convert group button on the gauge/scale dialog.

See also the group > create smaller group > group all plain track templates menu item.

I think it could be very confusing to create templates with a variable gauge, which would need very bold marking on the template. If flaring to 16.5mm gauge is required it is easily done at the construction stage, without needing any changes to the template. Given the way Templot works it would be a major programming task, and I'm not convinced it would be a good use of my time. :)

If connection to 16.5mm flexi-track is required, it is easier to do it on the flexi-track rather than the pointwork. Connect it to a bit of 16.2mm track, warm up the rail ends with a soldering iron so that the chairs can soften and adjust, and hold it down flat while it cools. That way the 16.2mm pointwork is not compromised and could be lifted and re-used at a later date.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 14 Sep 2015 11:35

madscientist

Tks. Good idea re flexi.

My comments relate to creating 00-SF gauge narrowing at the crossing area only and making the turnout 16.5 at the ends. I find it easiest to flare out the heel and toe of the turnout so that the turnout can be used anywhere there is standard 16.5 track.

What the issue is that track planning has to be all done in 00-SF in templot as the turnout templates need to be right , but in reality there a slight mismatch between the plain track in templot ( which is 00-SF ) while the actual Layout is 16.5 plain track.

It was just a thought. I don't think anyone using 00-SF IS going to build any significant amount of plain track unless for very special reasons.

In reality therefor 00-SF is a " technique " for improving turnout s rather then a gauge

posted: 14 Sep 2015 11:53

Martin Wynne

madscientist wrote:
I don't think anyone using 00-SF IS going to build any significant amount of plain track unless for very special reasons.
Hi Dave,

The track gauge for 00-SF is 16.2mm. If parts of the layout use some other gauge, they are not 00-SF (apart from any gauge-widening required on sharp curves).

If I was building a layout in 00-SF I would certainly want to build the plain track (to 16.2mm), if only so that the prototype track details can be properly represented. I don't believe I'm alone in that.

In reality therefore 00-SF is a "technique" for improving turnouts rather then a gauge
I don't see it that way, but each to his own. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 14 Sep 2015 17:47

polybear

Martin Wynne wrote:

If I was building a layout in 00-SF I would certainly want to build the plain track (to 16.2mm), if only so that the prototype track details can be properly represented. I don't believe I'm alone in that.

regards,

Martin.

Hi Martin,

Snap. Though builders of layouts named (or similar to) Eastwood Town may perhaps be forgiven ;)

Regards,
Brian

posted: 14 Sep 2015 19:03

madscientist

Martin Wynne wrote:
madscientist wrote:
I don't think anyone using 00-SF IS going to build any significant amount of plain track unless for very special reasons.
Hi Dave,

The track gauge for 00-SF is 16.2mm. If parts of the layout use some other gauge, they are not 00-SF (apart from any gauge-widening required on sharp curves).

In reality therefore 00-SF is a "technique" for improving turnouts rather then a gauge
I don't see it that way, but each to his own. :)

regards,

Martin.

Martin , I suspect you'd count angels on the head of a pin

I think its entirely punctilious, to suggest that there are a body of users building plain 00-SF of any length, to 16.2mm. Given the subset of modellers in 00 specifically that are handbuiding any track at all, The 00-SF is very small and I would suggest those completing remaining within 00-SF for the whole layout is vanishing small. The stated befits are primarily gained around the common crossing area and not really of much benefit else where

Hence , my point that (a) it would be useful to have the temple flair out to 16,5 ( not withstanding the programming issues )

however I suggest that 10.567736E5 angels on a pin might be a better debate :)
Last edited on 14 Sep 2015 19:04 by madscientist
posted: 14 Sep 2015 19:32

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello,
       One thing that may have been overlooked. Building various length prototypical track panels is only possible by hand and I don't think it would make thing things easy if one had a variation in the OO-SF
gauge. Surely if you want 16.5 gauge track there are already settings for those in Templot. Lets face it we are all bonkers in our varying levels of attention to detail when it comes to something to run locomotives on. I agree with Martin that spreading the ends of RTR sections to match is the easiest option if one wants to go down that road. :)
Regards.
Trevor.

posted: 14 Sep 2015 19:42

Martin Wynne

madscientist wrote:
Given the subset of modellers in 00 specifically that are handbuilding any track at all, The 00-SF is very small and I would suggest those completing remaining within 00-SF for the whole layout is vanishing small.
Hi Dave,

The decision to include a setting on the Templot gauge/scale list is not based on how many modellers are actually using it. There are several settings on there which I doubt very much anyone is using. What I do know is that there are far more modellers building 00-SF track now than when I first included 00-SF on the list in 1998. :)

In EM and P4 there are many modellers who choose to handbuild plain track, despite the availability of flexi-track. I don't know any reason to assume the same would not apply in 00-SF (which is a variant of EM).

The track gauge for 00-SF is 16.2mm and I'm not intending to create 00-SF templates which depart from that.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 14 Sep 2015 19:53

madscientist

Trevor Walling wrote:
Hello,
       One thing that may have been overlooked. Building various length prototypical track panels is only possible by hand and I don't think it would make thing things easy if one had a variation in the OO-SF
gauge. Surely if you want 16.5 gauge track there are already settings for those in Templot. Lets face it we are all bonkers in our varying levels of attention to detail when it comes to something to run locomotives on. I agree with Martin that spreading the ends of RTR sections to match is the easiest option if one wants to go down that road. :)
Regards.
Trevor.

well, I asked, The master has replied.

I would take my hints from Gordon of Eastwood Town fame , He widens the turnouts at the heel and toe back to 16,5 , easy to do with gauges etc

My view is thats the best rather then mucking with flexi

posted: 24 Sep 2015 18:22

Martin Wynne

More than 15 years ago, when I included the "EM minus 2" gauge/scale setting in Templot, I gave it the shorter designation "00-SF".

At the time that seemed entirely reasonable, because it is intended that 00 models should run on it.

But with the benefit of hindsight it was clearly a big mistake. I believe the reference to 00 has been a primary cause of all the argument and contention over the years.

I don't think I can go on over and over again explaining 00-SF forever. The final straw has come today with a post on RMweb muddying the water with suggestions of using 16.2mm crossings on a 16.5mm layout, and building variable-gauge pointwork. That strikes me as a recipe for disaster in the long term.

00-SF is not 00. It is a variant of EM. It is a standard in its own right with a track gauge is 16.2mm. Everywhere -- except where gauge-widened on sharp curves in prototypical fashion. (Some users like to use 16.5mm flexi-track for that.)

As the inventor of the "00-SF" designation I can uninvent it. And I have now done so. I have changed the designation to 4-SF in Templot:

This is a naming change only. If you have been using Templot for 00-SF there will be no change to your files or designs.

I'm hoping to have a Templot program update available in the next few days.

I have also registered the domain 4-sf.uk and I will be copying the content from 00-sf.org.uk shortly.

edit October 2020: with 5 years hindsight the above was a mistake. I have reverted to the 00-SF designation in Templot v. 227a and the 4-sf.uk domain has expired. The information about 00-SF remains at:

http://00-sf.org.uk

Martin.

posted: 24 Sep 2015 22:50

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello Martin,
                   Just a thought Martin,
If you have decided to change the name what about calling it 16.2-SF. I would think that renders any reason for contention totally impossible as it says exactly what it is.
Regards.
Trevor. :)

posted: 24 Sep 2015 23:46

rodney_hills

United Kingdom

cross-posted from 00-SF Yahoo Group
Rodney Hills To00-SF@yahoogroups.comBCCRodney Hills
00-SFersMartin W clearly  has had it up to here.That's quite understandable.What he does with Templot is his businessas he owns the 00-SF website I guess he can fiddle about with that too.BUTI personally intend to stay with the 00-SF monikerAs you might know,  I own the 00-SF yahoo group..I'm about to put a poll up there to see what you folks think.regards, Rodney HillsBegin forwarded message:
From: "'Martin Wynne (on Templot Club)' forum@templot.com [templot]" <templot@yahoogroups.com>Date: 24 September 2015 18:22:16 BSTTo: templot@yahoogroups.comSubject: [templot] [Templot Club] re: 00-SF AND TEMPLOTReply-To: templot@yahoogroups.com
 from: Martin Wynne in forum: Templot talksubject: 00-SF AND TEMPLOT Web link - click here to read this message in original context with images and attachments,and with any subsequent amendments or additions:topic 2742 - message 19076Please use the above link to reply to this message. It is not possible to reply to this message by email.==============================More than 15 years ago, when I included the "EM minus 2" gauge/scale setting in Templot, I gave it the shorter designation "00-SF".At the time that seemed entirely reasonable, because it is intended that 00 models should run on it.But with the benefit of hindsight it was clearly a big mistake. I believe the reference to 00 has been a primary cause of all the argument and contention over the years.I don't think I can go on over and over again explaining 00-SF forever. The final straw has come today with a post on RMweb muddying the water with suggestions of using 16.2mm crossings on a 16.5mm layout, and building variable-gauge pointwork. That strikes me as a recipe for disaster in the long term.00-SF is not 00. It is a variant of EM. It is a standard in its own right with a track gauge is 16.2mm. Everywhere -- except where gauge-widened on sharp curves in prototypical fashion. (Some users like to use 16.5mm flexi-track for that.)As the inventor of the "00-SF" designation I can uninvent it. And I have now done so. I have changed the designation to | 4-SF | in Templot:gallery/2/original/2_241216_180000000.png This is a naming change only. If you have been using Templot for 00-SF there will be no change to your files or designs.I'm hoping to have a Templot program update available in the next few days.I have also registered the domain 4-sf.uk and I will be copying the content from 00-sf.org.ukshortly.regards,Martin.

posted: 25 Sep 2015 00:19

Nigel Brown

Martin

Can see where you're coming from. It IS a scale/gauge combination in its own right, and best viewed at that rather than some tweak to OO.

Wonder about the name though. 4-SF to me doesn't sit easily. Would SF4 be an acceptable alternative? Or would it be too close to S4? Maybe drop the dash and use 4SF?
Just a thought.
Cheers
Nigel

posted: 25 Sep 2015 00:37

Martin Wynne

Trevor Walling wrote:
If you have decided to change the name what about calling it 16.2-SF.
Hi Trevor,

It seems important to have some reference to the scale. Hence the "4" replacing "00". :)

I didn't want the track gauge within the designation because folks are much too concerned about that dimension. The two significant dimensions in any standard are the check gauge and the crossing flangeway gap.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 25 Sep 2015 00:42

Martin Wynne

Nigel Brown wrote:
Wonder about the name though. 4-SF to me doesn't sit easily. Would SF4 be an acceptable alternative? Or would it be too close to S4? Maybe drop the dash and use 4SF?
Hi Nigel,

Without the dash it seemed too close to S4 and P4 to avoid confusion.

Also as a purely practical matter, domain names without the dash were not available. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 25 Sep 2015 08:58

polybear

Hi Martin,

It's your ball, but I must admit to firmly favour the term 00-SF (though 16.2-SF has some merit).  I struggle a little with the term 4-SF; I suspect that for some time to come there will be many posts asking why 00-SF isn't catered for by Templot ;)
Something that might be worth considering is the fact that if anyone were to contemplate "4-SF" (unaware of it's previous designation) will find very little via a Google Search.  Whereas a search for 00-SF will find plenty....

All the best,
Brian
(polybear)

p.s. My Templot application loaded up this morning with "00-SF" still showing in in the Gauge/Scale selector, in protest... :D

posted: 25 Sep 2015 09:13

Martin Wynne

polybear wrote:
It's your ball, but I must admit to firmly favour the term 00-SF
Hi Brian,

So did I. It seems blindingly obvious that if you have some track which 00 models run on, it should be called 00 track.

Unfortunately it has become clear that the reference to "00" automatically brings an association with 16.5mm gauge in many minds. With the result that we have some posts now appearing referring to the practice of "gauge-narrowing" within 00-SF pointwork. I think this concept is flawed and could ultimately lead to a lot of grief. See my post today on RMweb:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102666-why-would-i-choose-00-sf/?view=findpost&p=2031802

So with some reluctance I have changed the name designation to replace the 00 reference with simply a reference to the scale.

I'm sure Google will soon begin displaying results for 4-SF. The relevant web site is already live:

http://4-sf.uk

regards,

Martin.

posted: 25 Sep 2015 12:35

rodney_hills

United Kingdom

polybear wrote:
Hi Martin,

It's your ball, but I must admit to firmly favour the term 00-SF (though 16.2-SF has some merit).  I struggle a little with the term 4-SF; I suspect that for some time to come there will be many posts asking why 00-SF isn't catered for by Templot ;)
Something that might be worth considering is the fact that if anyone were to contemplate "4-SF" (unaware of it's previous designation) will find very little via a Google Search.  Whereas a search for 00-SF will find plenty....

All the best,
Brian
(polybear)

p.s. My Templot application loaded up this morning with "00-SF" still showing in in the Gauge/Scale selector, in protest... :D

Brian,

you, of course, handed over our range of 00-SF Gauges to C&L... I imagine that carrying on with that designation would fit their 'shop window' layout.
Likely the same goes for other vendors of 00-SF products.

thinks... is the Henry Greenly(?) legacy Xmm/ft e.g. X=4 used in any other track gauge naming?
After all, it is everything EXCEPT the min TG that is made to. a scale of 4mm to the foot In "4-SF" !

regards, Rodney Hills
Last edited on 25 Sep 2015 12:41 by rodney_hills
posted: 25 Sep 2015 18:12

madscientist

personally I am of vie what 00-SF is a correct moniker

00 is primarily a Scale not a gauge, it was created to allow more room in small bodied british outline steam locos for the then electric motors of the day. H0 track was used because thats all there was at the time

hence all 4mm modellers are 00 modellers, including p4 and EM

what we should have to properly delineate 00 is a scale and track moniker

eg

00-P4
00-EM
00-HO
00-SF
00-DN

perfectly understandable

The purpose of 00-SF was not to create a new SCALE, but to offer a new track gauge for 00 models

hence the moniker is correct

if certain people like me want to mix 00-DN and 00-SF and 00-HO for example , thats our business thank you very much :D:D:D

dave
Last edited on 25 Sep 2015 18:58 by madscientist
posted: 25 Sep 2015 18:37

madscientist

polybear wrote:
Hi Martin,

All the best,
Brian
(polybear)

Polybear, I gather that you have supplied drawings of 00-SF gauges to C&L and I fully accept their commercial imperative

Given we have no gauge drawings for 4-SF , perhaps you could release those ones into the public domain

" to mis quote a famous sketch"
I need a fish license , there no such thing as a fish license , I need a fish license , here you go sir, but thats just a cat license with the word cat crossed out and fish written in crayon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnq96W9jtuw

:D:D:D

Dave
Last edited on 25 Sep 2015 18:48 by madscientist
posted: 25 Sep 2015 19:48

polybear

Hi Dave,
If I ever draw up some 4-SF Gauges I'll be quite happy to release them. However, such an event is unlikely since I only model in 00-SF. :D
Nice try Though!:thumb:

posted: 25 Sep 2015 19:49

madscientist

polybear wrote:
Hi Dave,
If I ever draw up some 4-SF Gauges I'll be quite happy to release them. However, such an event is unlikely since I only model in 00-SF. :D
Nice try Though!:thumb:

drat, polybears are clever :D
Last edited on 25 Sep 2015 19:49 by madscientist
posted: 25 Sep 2015 23:47

Nigel Brown

madscientist wrote:
00 is primarily a Scale not a gauge, it was created to allow more room in small bodied british outline steam locos for the then electric motors of the day. H0 track was used because thats all there was at the time
This only indirectly impacts on the discussion, but lets kill off once and for all the myth that 00 came about in order to fit motors into small bodied British locomotives. Motor technology was well advanced in those days; players such as Hornby made their own motors and could easily have designed ones to fit into HO British locomotives.

George Mellor, who was heavily involved in the decisions, wrote an article which made things clear. It was believed, quite understandably, that to manufacture succesful toy trains, which needed to run on clip together small-radius track often laid on carpets and similar, using anything like scale wheels were a total no go. Hence thicker wheels with deeper flanges were used. The problem which then arises is the British loading gauge, which on the prototype forces tight clearances between wheels and outside valve gear, and wheels and splashers, to give just two examples. The proposed wheels simply wouldn't work if the scale was right for the track. So they increased the scale.  Which is why commercial toy models of British locomotives in ALL scales use underscale track.

To return to the discussion, OO isn't primarily a scale. It is a scale/gauge combination, in the same way that EM and P4 are scale/gauge combinations.

Cheers
Nigel

posted: 26 Sep 2015 12:59

madscientist

Nigel Brown wrote:
madscientist wrote:
This only indirectly impacts on the discussion, but lets kill off once and for all the myth that 00 came about in order to fit motors into small bodied British locomotives. Motor technology was well advanced in those days; players such as Hornby made their own motors and could easily have designed ones to fit into HO British locomotives.

George Mellor, who was heavily involved in the decisions, wrote an article which made things clear. It was believed, quite understandably, that to manufacture succesful toy trains, which needed to run on clip together small-radius track often laid on carpets and similar, using anything like scale wheels were a total no go. Hence thicker wheels with deeper flanges were used. The problem which then arises is the British loading gauge, which on the prototype forces tight clearances between wheels and outside valve gear, and wheels and splashers, to give just two examples. The proposed wheels simply wouldn't work if the scale was right for the track. So they increased the scale.  Which is why commercial toy models of British locomotives in ALL scales use underscale track.

To return to the discussion, OO isn't primarily a scale. It is a scale/gauge combination, in the same way that EM and P4 are scale/gauge combinations.

Cheers
Nigel

Sorry you are suggesting it's not possible to produce HO models of British locomotives !!!! ( then or now )

posted: 26 Sep 2015 13:21

Martin Wynne

madscientist wrote:
Sorry you are suggesting it's not possible to produce H0 models of British locomotives !!!!
Unfortunately, yes that is the case. At least if you want them to be the correct scale-width models. All H0 models are overscale width on axleboxes, bogie sideframes, etc., to accommodate the daft arrangement of having overscale wheels on an exact-scale track gauge.

Fortunately the effect is not too bad on American-outline models, but UK locomotives with overscale splashers, etc. would look very odd in H0. Bear in mind that for train-set curves it is necessary to allow significant side-play on the wheels.

Also UK-style raised platforms would need increased gaps to clear overscale outside cylinders, etc.

Despite the frequent wailing about it, those who created the reduced 00 gauge for UK RTR models knew what they were doing, although they may have overdone the reduction a bit. The result is that 00 models can have accurate 4mm/ft scale locomotive bodies, ideal for conversion to EM or P4. Modellers using EM or P4 should give thanks for 00, rather than making fun of it as a few of them do.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Sep 2015 08:24

Hayfield

United Kingdom

If you look back at track products from the early 50's, 00 gauge systems were closer to 4 mm scale, than now which is closer to 3.5 mm scale. Peco spiked track, GEM, Formway and ABC. Somehow 00 track merged with H0, a totally backward step

The other item to consider is the finer standards that loco's and stock is now built to, allowing in some cases for the wheels to be re-set to EM gauge

posted: 29 Sep 2015 10:28

Jim S-W

Solihull / Brierley Hill - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
madscientist wrote:
Sorry you are suggesting it's not possible to produce H0 models of British locomotives !!!!
Unfortunately, yes that is the case. At least if you want them to be the correct scale-width models. All H0 models are overscale width on axleboxes, bogie sideframes, etc., to accommodate the daft arrangement of having overscale wheels on an exact-scale track

Best not to deal in absolutes. As there isn't any RTR british HO currently available and what was is decades out of date, why would it have to have over scale wheels. It would be niche anyway so why not RTR HO to proto87 standards?

Cheers

Jim

posted: 29 Sep 2015 10:43

Martin Wynne

Jim S-W wrote:
Best not to deal in absolutes. As there isn't any RTR british HO currently available and what was is decades out of date, why would it have to have over scale wheels. It would be niche anyway so why not RTR HO to proto87 standards?
Hi Jim,

RTR H0 normally refers to the NMRA H0 standard.

Proto-87 is not H0 in that sense.

It would be a brave manufacturer who invested in RTR with exact-scale wheels, and a lunatic one who chose to do it in 3.5mm/ft scale for British outline models.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 29 Sep 2015 11:16

Jim S-W

It would be a lunatic one to invest in RTR British HO anyway but impossible it certainly isn't (as you claimed and hense my reply, not viable yes but impossible, no way) The only way it would ever stand a chance, commercially, is if it offered something RTR doesn't and to me the no compromise approach would be the only way to go. Any compromise at all and people would automatically think its no better than 00

Cheers

Jim
Last edited on 29 Sep 2015 11:20 by Jim S-W
posted: 29 Sep 2015 11:24

Martin Wynne

Jim S-W wrote:
but impossible it certainly isn't (as you claimed
I was referring to H0 in the NMRA sense.

I didn't say it was impossible in 3.5mm/ft scale.

Let's leave it there -- we don't want to turn Templot Club into RMweb. :)

Martin.

posted: 29 Sep 2015 11:37

Jim S-W

You didn't say you were referring to the NMRA either when you said it was impossible, but happy to leave it there as you say.

As for your other quandary, the renaming of 00-sf. 4-sf implies to me some sort of super fine version of p4. Why not KISS and just call it 16.2mm gauge?

Cheers

Jim

(it would only turn to rmweb if you started editing away replies you didn't like, I doubt you would stoop to such levels! :) )
Last edited on 29 Sep 2015 12:28 by Jim S-W
posted: 29 Sep 2015 12:39

Martin Wynne

Jim S-W wrote:
4-sf implies to me some sort of super fine version of p4. Why not KISS and just call it 16.2mm gauge?
Hi Jim,

I think it is important to reference the 4mm/ft scale. That was the purpose of the previous 00- part of the designation. 16.2mm gauge track could be used in any scale.

Also the track gauge is not the defining feature. It is a battle of wits to get this point across. Modellers are far too preoccupied with the distance between the running rails.

The defining characteristics of 4-SF are:

Check Gauge: 15.2mm

Crossing Flangeway Gap: 1.0mm

The minimum track gauge is a derived dimension (by adding the above together) and it can vary in prototypical fashion -- for example on sharp curves.

In any event it is a done deed. Having paid to register the domain, I am not changing it now: :)

http://4-sf.uk

regards,

Martin.

posted: 29 Sep 2015 13:49

Jim S-W

I know what you mean. It's a discussion point I've used before in why p4 and EM look different. You can't really tell the .63mm difference in gauge but check rails and look of the wheels are where you can.

Thinking about it further I thought that keeping the 00 was essential as the 4 won't mean a lot to your potential market. 1:76 might have been better as that's what the RTR guys put on thier packaging.

As you say though it's all a bit after the horse has bolted.

Cheers

Jim

posted: 29 Sep 2015 13:53

Martin Wynne

Jim S-W wrote:
Thinking about it further I thought that keeping the 00 was essential as the 4 won't mean a lot to your potential market.
Hi Jim,

I don't have a potential market.

I write Templot as I think best, and folks either use it or not as they wish. It's free to use.

Martin.

posted: 29 Sep 2015 14:09

Jim S-W

You are selling an idea though, even if you don't charge for it. Otherwise why register a domain name for it?

Cheers

Jim

posted: 29 Sep 2015 14:19

Martin Wynne

Jim S-W wrote:
You are selling an idea though, even if you don't charge for it. Otherwise why register a domain name for it?
Jim, I'm not selling anything.

The web page is simply to provide information about it. A reader can then choose whether to adopt it, or even take the slightest notice of it, for himself.

The Templot web site costs are met by the Templot donations fund from users, for which I am very grateful.

Martin.

posted: 29 Sep 2015 20:41

Jim S-W

Martin Wynne wrote:

The web page is simply to provide information about it. A reader can then choose whether to adopt it, or even take the slightest notice of it, for himself.

That's a pretty great definition of what selling an idea means. :)

Cheers

Jim
Last edited on 29 Sep 2015 20:45 by Jim S-W
posted: 14 Oct 2015 03:21

Terry Flynn

Australia

Martin Wynne wrote:
More than 15 years ago, when I included the "EM minus 2" gauge/scale setting in Templot, I gave it the shorter designation "00-SF".

At the time that seemed entirely reasonable, because it is intended that 00 models should run on it.

But with the benefit of hindsight it was clearly a big mistake. I believe the reference to 00 has been a primary cause of all the argument and contention over the years.

I don't think I can go on over and over again explaining 00-SF forever. The final straw has come today with a post on RMweb muddying the water with suggestions of using 16.2mm crossings on a 16.5mm layout, and building variable-gauge pointwork. That strikes me as a recipe for disaster in the long term.

00-SF is not 00. It is a variant of EM. It is a standard in its own right with a track gauge is 16.2mm. Everywhere -- except where gauge-widened on sharp curves in prototypical fashion. (Some users like to use 16.5mm flexi-track for that.)

As the inventor of the "00-SF" designation I can uninvent it. And I have now done so. I have changed the designation to 4-SF in Templot:

2_241216_180000000.png2_241216_180000000.png

This is a naming change only. If you have been using Templot for 00-SF there will be no change to your files or designs.

I'm hoping to have a Templot program update available in the next few days.

I have also registered the domain 4-sf.uk and I will be copying the content from 00-sf.org.uk shortly.

regards,

Martin.
Hello Martin,
I think your name of 00-SF is better than any of the alternatives. The arguments are simply from people who do not understand tolerances and the fact 00 refers to a scale/track standard combination that has varied over the years. There are also others with 'political agendas'  who do not want to see change from existing  4mm foot scale and H0 scale standards. You have around 10 years of 'marketing' around the 00-SF brand. It's consistent with the 00 and 00-F scale track names, both standards use the same scale. Then there is 00-9, a different nominal track gauge, same scale. All the above 00 examples result with non interchange between the scale gauge standards, even when the nominal track gauge is the same. 
I say go back to using 00-SF.
Terry Flynn.

posted: 14 Oct 2015 04:21

Martin Wynne

Thanks Terry.

However, the change has now been made in Templot.

In fact I like the 4-SF name, it is short and distinctive. As you say there are a great many 00 variations and derivatives, so 00-SF could have been seen as just one more of many. 4-SF stands out as different.

4-SF also makes the 4mm/ft scale explicit, where some of the other options have 00 models running on track modelled at other scales.

But in the end, it is only a name. The rails are still in the same place. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 14 Oct 2015 07:08

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Martin

I am warming to 4-FS as a name, though still use 00sf when I fell its appropriate. Whatever happens it still will be confusing for some, as I guess does DOAG fine & DOAG intermediate are to many 00 gauge modellers who have no idea about the differing gauge standards

As you have said 4-SF is designed for track builders who one would hope may have at least a basic knowledge on the subject, hopefully with C&L now selling the gauges its prominence with the general modelling public should increase. Ironically with the title of 00sf not 4-SF

posted: 1 Nov 2015 09:01

roythebus

Aldington Frith, Ashford, Kent - United Kingdom

To add my two pen'orth, I would remind members, as I have posted elsewhere, that I believe the late Frank Dyer of Dorchester fame was one of the first to use the 16.2mm gauge. Back in 1980 he built the track for Dyers End station on the MRC's New Annington layout. He explained that was to 16.2mm gauge and that all RTR stock and BRMSB wheeled stock would run on it. He was right, it did, and it looked better than 16.5 gauge.

I built most of the rest of the track, along with help from others, to 16.5 gauge.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > 4-SF / 00-SF in Templot
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020