author remove search highlighting

posted: 15 Sep 2015 11:36

rynd2it

Chabanais 16 - France

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hello,
I'm just getting started with Templot which is clearly a very powerful tool indeed, probably more than I need. I'm trying to create a track plan of Faringdon (GWR) as close to full size as I can. I've scanned in the background having shortened it a bit to fit and started laying track.
I've run into a few areas where I need clarification (it must be me, not the tool) and I'd appreciate some input.
a)   I read that the recommended starting point is to lay plain track and then add turnouts to it and not build the plan from small pieces. However after adding some plain track to the turnout road, I can't now bend the end of it to start the next curve. So should I shorten the straight track to the point of beginning the curve and then add a curved piece or is there a way to curve (or bend) around a midpoint (or other location)?
b)  Is there a way to "snap" one piece to another so that they line up correctly with correct sleeper spacing?
c)  How do you move the ruler? It only seems to display in one place and I need to move it to different locations?
I realise this is basic stuff but 5 minutes of explanation is worth about two hours of experimenting. I can attach my box *& bgs files if that will help
Thanks
David

posted: 15 Sep 2015 14:24

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

rynd2it wrote:
a) after adding some plain track to the turnout road, I can't now bend the end of it to start the next curve. So should I shorten the straight track to the point of beginning the curve and then add a curved piece or is there a way to curve (or bend) around a midpoint (or other location)?

b)  Is there a way to "snap" one piece to another so that they line up correctly with correct sleeper spacing?

c)  How do you move the ruler? It only seems to display in one place and I need to move it to different locations?
Hello David,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

a) I'm not too clear what you are asking. Within plain track it is usually better to have a transition from straight to curve, rather than an instant change.

But if that's what you do want you can insert a zero-length transition. geometry > transition curve > easement from straight. Then geometry > transition curve > zero-length instant transition at peg. You can then use all the mouse actions to move the transition zone to the desired position, change the radius at each end of it, etc.

Or you could split the straight template into 2 separate templates, and then curve the second one. See tools > make split > make split at peg menu item. You can move the peg to the desired position using the CTRL+F8 mouse action.

If that's not what you are asking, please attach your .box file. :)

b) The control template will snap onto a background template if you shift it close using the F7 mouse action. That function is intended for beginners coming from other software rather than experienced users. Getting the sleeper spacings correct across template boundaries uses the roll rails to match functions. That's intended for more experienced users and best left until your track plan is finalised, in the same way as other functions such as timber shoving. More information about rolling rails is here:

http://templot.com/martweb/pug_info_2.htm

Scroll down to new roll rails functions.

c) Each end of the ruler is moved independently. The ruler then stretches between them. It is primarily intended for measuring purposes -- if you want an object of fixed length which you can move around, instead of the ruler use a dummy plain track centre-line-only template.

ALT+LEFT-CLICK sets one end of the ruler. ALT+RIGHT-CLICK sets the other end. You can zoom in on each end to do this, and CTRL+FULL-STOP (period) changes the mouse pointer to cross-hairs for precision. For a precision read-out of the mouse position, click the tools > jotter • X-Y read-out menu item.

Alternatively you can move each end of the ruler with the mouse -- tools > ruler > mouse action: menu items.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 15 Sep 2015 15:34

rynd2it

Chabanais 16 - France

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the comprehensive reply, much appreciated. 
a)  I have attached by box and bgs files and you will see that the current item PL018 is a curve that needs to be extended in each direction with straight track to end up joined to PR017 and terminating in the engine shed. This what I was trying to do by making a straight track from PR017 and then bending the left end. I couldn't get that to work. So is there a simple recommended way to achieve the piece of track I need?
b) OK, I'll leave that until much later.
c) OK, I see how to move the ruler about - but would it not be a useful enhancement to be able to grab the ruler as a single item and move it close to the desired point and then adjust the ends to measure something? Sort of F7-Shift function for the ruler?
Regards
David
Martin Wynne wrote:
rynd2it wrote:
a) after adding some plain track to the turnout road, I can't now bend the end of it to start the next curve. So should I shorten the straight track to the point of beginning the curve and then add a curved piece or is there a way to curve (or bend) around a midpoint (or other location)?

Hello David,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

a) I'm not too clear what you are asking. Within plain track it is usually better to have a transition from straight to curve, rather than an instant change.

But if that's what you do want you can insert a zero-length transition. geometry > transition curve > easement from straight. Then geometry > transition curve > zero-length instant transition at peg. You can then use all the mouse actions to move the transition zone to the desired position, change the radius at each end of it, etc.

Or you could split the straight template into 2 separate templates, and then curve the second one. See tools > make split > make split at peg menu item. You can move the peg to the desired position using the CTRL+F8 mouse action.

If that's not what you are asking, please attach your .box file. :)

b) The control template will snap onto a background template if you shift it close using the F7 mouse action. That function is intended for beginners coming from other software rather than experienced users. Getting the sleeper spacings correct across template boundaries uses the roll rails to match functions. That's intended for more experienced users and best left until your track plan is finalised, in the same way as other functions such as timber shoving. More information about rolling rails is here:

http://templot.com/martweb/pug_info_2.htm

Scroll down to new roll rails functions.

c) Each end of the ruler is moved independently. The ruler then stretches between them. It is primarily intended for measuring purposes -- if you want an object of fixed length which you can move around, instead of the ruler use a dummy plain track centre-line-only template.

ALT+LEFT-CLICK sets one end of the ruler. ALT+RIGHT-CLICK sets the other end. You can zoom in on each end to do this, and CTRL+FULL-STOP (period) changes the mouse pointer to cross-hairs for precision. For a precision read-out of the mouse position, click the tools > jotter • X-Y read-out menu item.

Alternatively you can move each end of the ruler with the mouse -- tools > ruler > mouse action: menu items.

regards,

Martin.

Attachment: attach_2156_2744_Faringdon.box     226

posted: 15 Sep 2015 15:48

rynd2it

Chabanais 16 - France

and here's the bgs file which you will need but I could only attach one file at a time
Attachment: attach_2157_2744_Faringdon.bgs     220

posted: 15 Sep 2015 16:07

Martin Wynne

Hi David,

Thanks for the files.

Also need the .SK81 image file, which you will find in the same SHAPE-FILES folder as the .BGS file.

Martin.

posted: 15 Sep 2015 16:09

rynd2it

Chabanais 16 - France

Here you go
Attachment: attach_2158_2744_Faringdon.sk81     249

posted: 15 Sep 2015 16:26

Martin Wynne

Hi David,

Thanks for the files.

I suggest completing the track into the loop before inserting the turnout and siding for the engine shed.

Likewise I'm puzzled that you have taken the running line into the goods yard, rather than the platform. It's almost certain that the turnout into the yard is a right-hand turnout, with the main road into the platform.

Have a read of the make transition function:

http://templot.com/martweb/info_files/make_trans.htm

The usual way to begin that is to align short dummy templates at key positions over the background map, see:

http://templot.com/companion/index.html?swell_function_ctrl_f10.htm

Sorry I have to go out now. I will reply again later.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 15 Sep 2015 17:03

rynd2it

Chabanais 16 - France

Hi Martin,
Thank you - makes total sense to make the running line the primary piece of track and then make turnouts off it.  I will redo that and see how I get on.
May I say that as an ex-software developer (40+ years) I am impressed that you can and do provide this level of support - it's always the most demanding task in the business. 
I'll work on it in a couple of days time and see how I get on
Regards
David
Martin Wynne wrote:
Hi David,

Thanks for the files.

I suggest completing the track into the loop before inserting the turnout and siding for the engine shed.

Likewise I'm puzzled that you have taken the running line into the goods yard, rather than the platform. It's almost certain that the turnout into the yard is a right-hand turnout, with the main road into the platform.

Have a read of the make transition function:

http://templot.com/martweb/info_files/make_trans.htm

The usual way to begin that is to align short dummy templates at key positions over the background map, see:

http://templot.com/companion/index.html?swell_function_ctrl_f10.htm

Sorry I have to go out now. I will reply again later.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 23 Sep 2015 12:04

rynd2it

Chabanais 16 - France

Hi Martin,
I started again from scratch, this time just putting in plain track for the two main lines plus one turnout.
I have attached the .box file, and I'll make a separate message with the .bgs and sk81files. (unless there is a way to attach more than one file).
My questions now are:
a) am I on the right track (!) and is there a way to join the individual pieces if necessary?
b) is my turnout OK or have I missed something?
c) how do you make a catch point? there are two on the plan
Any other hints you can provide would be more than welcome
Thanks
David
Attachment: attach_2159_2744_Faringdon.box     231

posted: posted: 23 Sep 2015 12:05

rynd2it

Chabanais 16 - France

Here's the bgs file
Attachment: attach_2160_2744_Faringdon.bgs     196

23 Sep 2015 12:05

rynd2it

Chabanais 16 - France

and the sk81
Attachment: attach_2161_2744_Faringdon.sk81     270

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Confused beginner
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020