topic: 2761New mouse actions -- adjust adjacent track centres
author remove search highlighting

posted: 19 Oct 2015 21:07

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Most of the recent changes in Templot have been to assist beginners.

So I thought it was time to do something for established users who know what they are doing. :)

I have added new mouse actions to adjust the adjacent track centres settings, instead of entering the dimensions directly. This makes use of the geometry > centre-line options > functions in order to see what you are doing, which means these need to be reset afterwards.

The new mouse actions will be useful in two situations:

1. where you have some existing double track at an unknown spacing, and wish to create some connecting double track into which you can insert a crossover, say.

2. when using the dummy vehicle tool to determine the required spacing for running clearance at different radii. I have made a quick bit of scruffy video illustrating that:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=r6BdZWxz5kk5ye1ek-P-Ag2

(That's in the awful fuzzy MP4 format, so everyone on the planet should be able to see it.)

You can see that I determined that a track spacing of about 46mm centres would be preferable for this EM track at this radius, instead of the usual 6ft way (44.67mm centres).

I could then have gone on to do tools > make double-track TS if I wished.

In the next program update, before which I will make a proper bit of video in a proper clear format, and explain all the settings.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 19 Oct 2015 22:51

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

I don't personally see a problem with the quality of the 'fuzzy' video. Surely the videos are meant to give a quick demo to users so they can go off and experiment once they see the basics ? Bells and whistles may add sales appeal to software but you aren't trying to sell anything here.

What is more impressive than fancy videos is the way you manage to program all the extra features into Templot.

Rgds
Rob

posted: 19 Oct 2015 23:14

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
I don't personally see a problem with the quality of the 'fuzzy' video. Surely the videos are meant to give a quick demo to users
Hi Rob,

I'm hoping that the videos will be rather more than that, and become the primary source of tutorial material. That way I don't need to write everything twice. See for example the help > watch a video > single slip menu item.

I can't speak for anyone else, but watching a fuzzy image gives me a splitting headache within seconds, and I am simply refusing to do it. If they can't be crisp and loss-less we won't be having any video from me. I'm satisfied that the FBR format delivers that (as does SWF Flash, but its days are numbered). HTML5 video/MP4 doesn't.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 20 Oct 2015 07:22

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
What is more impressive than fancy videos is the way you manage to program all the extra features into Templot.
Hi Rob,

Thanks. One advantage of the Templot-style mouse actions is that it is fairly easy to add more (there are currently 78 of them in total).

Using the Windows method of clicking and dragging a visible handle of some sort would make it much more difficult to add new ones. That method is used on the sketchboard because the engine for that is a bought-in component. It's not ideal when zoomed a long way out (the handles obscure the object) or zoomed a long way in (the handles are off the screen). Templot mouse actions work fine in such circumstances, or even when the object is not visible at all.

regards,

Martin.

posted: posted: 29 Oct 2015 23:45

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

Martin
Martin
I'm with Rob. The quality is fine in Windows at any rate...? Pictures speak a thousand words and don't require the same amount of brain power either! The video you did at my request for diamonds being another case in point. Its brilliant.
Kind regards
Andrew

29 Oct 2015 23:45

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

ahh sorry I thought I was just getting rid of the second Martin by editing it.

Obviously not!

Andrew
Last edited on 29 Oct 2015 23:47 by Andrew Duncan

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > New mouse actions -- adjust adjacent track centres
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020