topic: 2765Shove timbers on a Y turnout
author remove search highlighting

posted: 27 Oct 2015 21:40

Hayfield

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I think I have asked this question before but I cannot  find the answer, I have just made an asymmetric Y turnout, I think in the past when using Shove timbers there is a simple way of straightening up the sleepers, But  it is not working as I thought it would when entering in the twist centre boxes, help please

posted: 27 Oct 2015 22:39

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi John,

1. First you most likely need a curviform V-crossing for a Y-turnout. Click the green indicator until it shows C.

Then click real >timbering > equalized-incremental, which gets you most of the way there:

2_271728_130000000.png2_271728_130000000.png

If you want a better result:

2. click this mysterious button marked: ÷   It changes to: ¬ .

This changes the angles to reference from the template datum instead of from square-on to the main road.

Then click on the number of the timber which you want to shove (not the timber itself).

3. Click in the twist readout box, and then enter 0 (zero) on the dialog which appears. Repeat for as many other timbers as you wish to adjust.

Or depending on the alignment of the turnout you may want to enter some other angle, say 1.5 degrees, for all the timbers. If you set them all to the same angle they will all be parallel (after clicking the ÷ button).

regards,

Martin.

posted: 28 Oct 2015 05:55

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Martin

Thank you, forgot to press the divide symbol

posted: 28 Oct 2015 18:19

Martin Wynne

Hello again John,

My apologies. I forgot to mention that now in Templot2 a convenient way to represent a symmetrical Y-turnout is to use an irregular half-diamond template instead of a turnout template. This one hasn't needed any timber shoving:

2_281255_030000000.png2_281255_030000000.png

The V-crossing angle (curviform) is 1:6. I set the K-crossing angle to 1:24, so that this is approximately equivalent to an A-6 or 9ft-6 Y-turnout.

I rotated it by half the K-crossing angle (i.e. enter n-48 in the rotation dialog). And then adjusted the curving (F6) until the FP mark at the V-crossing was in line with the origin (the grid lines make a useful guide for this).

It is not a complete turnout of course, because there is no switch front. That has to be added as a separate bit of plain track template, as in the tutorial. It can't be directly pegged on, because of the rotation.

I'm sure I have posted this idea before, but I'm afraid my memory is not what it was, hence forgetting to mention this method earlier. Sorry.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 28 Oct 2015 18:25

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Martin

Thanks, I was following a plan (which has gone back and forth in paper, owing to the person having computer problems)which just has running lines and the connecting turnout had to be realigned with its attaching track to advert a very sharp radius. Now looks mighty fine

posted: 29 Oct 2015 01:03

Martin Wynne

Hi John, see:

topic 2768

Many thanks for nudging me into doing this. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 30 Oct 2015 00:40

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Thanks

John

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Shove timbers on a Y turnout
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020