topic: 2768new symmetrical Y-turnouts
author remove search highlighting

posted: 29 Oct 2015 00:58

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Two requests in one day about Y-turnouts means "something must be done". :)

Full adjustable split-deflection switches have been on my NOD list ("nice one day") for over 20 years. Without getting any closer. But in a couple of hours today I have come up with a stop-gap solution which works far better than I dared hope. Which means I am now kicking myself for not doing something like this much sooner. It does rely on the irregular half-diamonds, so wouldn't have been possible before Templot2.

I have added a new peg position at peg on split deflection:

2_281934_280000000.png2_281934_280000000.png

This puts the peg on the TP switch toe position (CTRL-2) but at half the switch deflection angle. Which makes it easy to peg an irregular half-diamond onto a bit of plain track to create a switch front. The result is that I was able to create this with just a few clicks, and no timber shoving needed.

In most cases you will want to set the V-crossing to curviform for a symmetrical result.

In practice in many track planning situations there would be no need to create a separate switch front, it could be pegged directly onto an existing approach track. Then rolling the rails to put the switch-front rail joints in the right place.

It's not a perfect solution, because being a half-diamond template some turnout functions are not available. For example you can't have a joggled switch -- a prototypical REA semi-curved switch with straight planing it isn't. It represents a typical curved switch of no specific prototype.

But as a quick alternative to a full construction using partial templates I think it will be very useful.

edit:

I have now taken this a bit further, and added an option to replace the K-crossing timbering with the timber spacings and rail joint positions from any switch you choose (or those for a custom switch). This works best if you match the K-crossing angle with the switch deflection angle. For example in this case I selected a GWR 10ft curved switch, and set the K-crossing angle to 1:37 to match:

2_292120_090000000.png2_292120_090000000.png

This doesn't change any of the rail alignments, so it is still not a proper prototypical switch. But it looks better, with the switch tips correctly overlapping the timber centre, etc. (except for the NER of course). And if you choose a curved type switch from the list, it will be quite close.

Comparing the above with the previous one, you can see the improved timbering at the switch tips, and the rail joint positions.

This is now the alert message you see when accessing the switch settings dialog when there is a half-diamond in the control template:

2_292135_200000000.png2_292135_200000000.png

regards,

Martin.

posted: 30 Oct 2015 11:25

allan roy

York - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,
Phew! Didn't mean to cause you all this trouble. It's very much appreciated though.
Kind Regards
Allan

posted: 30 Oct 2015 16:51

Martin Wynne

allan roy wrote:
Phew! Didn't mean to cause you all this trouble.
Hi Allan,

Thanks, but it's not trouble, I enjoy the coding and adding extra features to Templot. :)

It is writing the explanations and help notes which causes me trouble. Which is often a disincentive to making changes and adding new features.

For example in this case, how do I explain to a beginner just arrived from the Peco catalogue that to create a symmetrical Y-turnout it needs a split-deflection switch? That to do that the most convenient way in Templot is to use an irregular half-diamond template instead of a turnout template? That such a Y-turnout is entirely different from an ordinary turnout having contraflexure, which on the prototype is far more common as an apparent Y-turnout than a rare symmetrical turnout?

A full explanation needs several pages of notes and diagrams. But I will now remove the original symmetrical Y-turnout tutorial dating from 2001 and make a new video. It will take me far longer to do than the actual coding change. :(

regards,

Martin.

posted: 10 Mar 2017 12:39

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Martin
This has gone completely over my head, I have been asked to make a plan to copy a Peco small Radius Y turnout. I have just come up with a dogs breakfast, please can you point me into the right direction to make something which looks (and I guess works) far better

Thanks John
Attachment: attach_2396_2768_Peco_small_Y.box     250

posted: 10 Mar 2017 16:00

Martin Wynne

Hi John,

This is the closest I can get to the Peco template. File attached below (00-BF).

This is created using an irregular half-diamond, and therefore comprises 2 templates:

2_101052_470000001.png2_101052_470000001.png

Overlaid on the Peco template:

2_101052_470000000.png2_101052_470000000.png

K-crossing angle: 1:40

V-crossing angle: 1:3 curviform

regards,

Martin.
Attachment: attach_2397_2768_peco_short_y_equiv.box     257

posted: 10 Mar 2017 17:44

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Martin

Thanks a million, every time I tried adjusting what I was doing it got worse

John

posted: 6 Apr 2017 20:55

dave turner

United Kingdom

At the risk of being totally castigated. Is there really a problem if one's model is not truly prototypical.

Martin's superb program can be all things to all men and why not?

It's your own choice and Martin has made it possible.

Dave

posted: 6 Apr 2017 21:05

Nigel Brown

dave turner wrote:
At the risk of being totally castigated. Is there really a problem if one's model is not truly prototypical.

Dave
On my GWR layout I use 3-bolt chairs. Because that is all that's available in 3mm/ft. Does it worry me? No :)

Nigel

posted: 8 Apr 2017 16:35

Hayfield

United Kingdom

dave turner wrote:

Dave
Dave
I think even in the ultra fine scales there are compromises, it is really down to the individual how detailed they want to go. If you are like Nigel in 3 mm scale and the only chairs available are 3 bolt, then that's all you can use

However if you model in one of the 4 mm gauges, then you not only have five (including ST flat bottom chairs) different types of standard chair within the C&L and Exactoscale but also a range of special chairs for both turnouts and crossings. I for one think the addition of the special chairs not only looks better but makes building them easier.

The best layouts seem to be those where the standards are maintained across all disciplines, so they each compliment each other.

posted: 8 Apr 2017 18:55

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Even with all the choice available in the 4 mm gauges and we are relatively speaking spoilt for choice, there will always be something that is not available, for instance, whilst 3 bolt LSWR chairs are available slide chairs to match are not. You pays your money and takes your choice.
Tony.

posted: 9 Apr 2017 08:51

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Tony W wrote:
Even with all the choice available in the 4 mm gauges and we are relatively speaking spoilt for choice, there will always be something that is not available, for instance, whilst 3 bolt LSWR chairs are available slide chairs to match are not. You pays your money and takes your choice.
Tony.
Tony
Same for GWR slide chairs, and most of the special chairs are for 3/4 bolt chairs

For GWR slide chairs I use the outer part of the standard chair and slide plate of the slide chair as a compromise, likewise for some special chairs as well

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > new symmetrical Y-turnouts
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020