Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 2773what type of diamond is this or is it
author remove search highlighting

posted: 3 Nov 2015 12:22

madscientist

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Im trying too model this crossing in Templot, to me it looks more akin to a flat crossing then a diamond?

any comments on how to represent this in templot

Thanks

Dave

Screenshot%202015-10-31%2019.16.05.png?raw=1Screenshot%202015-10-31%2019.16.05.png?raw=1
Last edited on 3 Nov 2015 12:23 by madscientist
posted: 3 Nov 2015 12:36

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Dave,

It is called a "double junction". There is a video showing how to create it in Templot -- click the help > watch a video > Scruff Video curviform double junction menu item.

Ask again if it is not clear. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 3 Nov 2015 12:38

madscientist

thanks, Ill have a peek at the video and then see if "alles klar"

thanks

posted: 3 Nov 2015 13:00

madscientist

Hi Martin, I released I already looked at this video and duplicated it on my templot

But what I was really asking , is if you look at the photo the arrangement of check rails etc, seems to suggest its not a diamond.

Is there a way to duplicate the prototype track work in templot

assuming I havent the wrong end of the stick

regards

Dave
Last edited on 3 Nov 2015 13:00 by madscientist
posted: 3 Nov 2015 13:15

Martin Wynne

madscientist wrote:
But what I was really asking , is if you look at the photo the arrangement of check rails etc, seems to suggest its not a diamond.

Is there a way to duplicate the prototype track work in templot
Hi Dave,

It is an irregular diamond, as often found in double junctions. The shortening effect of the long camera lens is making it look sharper than it really is. I can't see anything unusual about it, and I don't know any reason why there would be for an ordinary double junction.

It can be created in Templot as in the video, and explained in this topic:

topic 2617 - message 18013

Replicating the prototype exactly is certainly possible. It may require some of the more advanced adjustments in Templot, although this one looks fairly standard. It also requires of course that you have a full drawing of the prototype to work from.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 3 Nov 2015 13:27

madscientist

Im aware of the effect of the lens, I have created the crossing in Templot, and I can correct the check rails using Adjust check rail end etc

But while I can adjust a check rail end position, I cant adjust a check rail start position ? i.e. I select MS2 and I can only move the end flare , not the position of the start flare

thanks again

Dave

posted: 3 Nov 2015 13:45

Martin Wynne

madscientist wrote:
But while I can adjust a check rail end position, I cant adjust a check rail start position ? i.e. I select MS2 and I can only move the end flare , not the position of the start flare
Hi Dave,

The check rail is in the normal position, it is the effect of the lens making it look odd. If you moved it towards the camera the first train over the crossing would be derailed.

Use MS1 not MS2 to move the start position, but you can't move it past the 'A' timber (carrying the nose of the crossing), and you shouldn't even move it that far. If you really wanted to do that you would need to add the entire check rail on a separate partial template, although it wouldn't match any known prototype. :shock:

regards,

Martin.

posted: 3 Nov 2015 13:54

Martin Wynne

p.s. Dave, here is a bit more info, taken from:

topic 1465

The functional length of a check rail (i.e. the middle bit between the flared ends) must at least cover the break in the opposite rail. So for a V-crossing that means from the knuckle bend in the wing rail to approximately the centre of the A timber under the nose:

2_251630_520000000.gif2_251630_520000000.gif

In practice of course it would be very unusual to have such a short check rail. It would need a severe speed restriction and is only likely to be found in yards and sidings.

Note that for model gauges with overscale flangeway gaps, the knuckle is further from the nose and hence the minimum check rail will be longer to ensure proper running.

The check rail is much more important for traffic running in a facing direction, so the working length of a check rail is normally much longer than the extension length (see diagram).

Martin.

posted: 3 Nov 2015 15:31

madscientist

Thanks Martin, all understood, just trying to recreate the prototype , which seems to have short check rails on the crossing , that whole area had a 15 mile and hour speed limit typically

dave

Templot Club > Forums > Prototype pics > what type of diamond is this or is it
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020