Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 2791representing Irish light weight flat-bottomed chairs
author remove search highlighting

posted: 23 Nov 2015 19:48

madscientist

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Common throughout the system in Ireland , till recently was the use of light weight flat-bottomed rail for less important sidings and MPDs etc

They were fixed to the sleeper by a flat chair and the rail was then secured using two chair screws ( one inside and one outside )

I include picture for reference:

2_240807_360000000.jpg2_240807_360000000.jpg 

Note that another similar common chair had a slightly more raised ( cast ) piece under the chair screw , as these ones look just like a flat plate

Is there anything in 4mm that could be used to represent this type of chair or its near equivalent

I was thinking of using code 55 for the rail as well

thanks

Dave
attachment.php?id=2176attachment.php?id=2176

posted: 23 Nov 2015 21:24

wcampbell23

Hamilton, Scotland - United Kingdom

Hi Dave

Perhaps not ideal for code 55 rail but Brassmasters does rail baseplates in etched brass intended for Peco codes 75, 80 or 82 rail.

Details at:

http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/track_details.htm

Regards.

Bill Campbell
Last edited on 23 Nov 2015 21:28 by wcampbell23
posted: 24 Nov 2015 00:51

madscientist

thanks

Yes I looked at those , The "spike" is more a US version , whereas the Irish /UK is a chair screw( bolt).

Maybe I can get a custom etch

posted: 24 Nov 2015 12:47

Matt M.

Australia

Hi Dave,

A custom etch is probably the only way other than cutting them out by hand.
All the US suppliers for HO or quarter scale make US style mainline types with
four or eight holes etched in them.

The plate may also be shaped with an inclined to throw the rail over to the required cant.
1 in 20 here in NSW.
Not necessary, nor easy to model in 4mm.
If laying the track using the rivet method you could slip half plates on either side
of the rail after soldering. You could use plastic or paper to represent them at that point.

I would suggest doing a trial section to see if any of this is worthwhile.
Even in 7mm the plates aren't that easy to see at normal viewing distances.
They are hard to spot in photographs of the prototype done at a normal viewing distances.

The screwspike you may be able to replicate with something from Grandt Line
but I have a feeling that you may require something smaller than they supply.
A Shapeways 3D print may work there.

With your version of a plate with "slightly more raised ( cast ) piece under the chair screw",
that is a plate with a shoulder. It can be a single shoulder or a double shoulder.
If single, the shoulder is usually located on the outside of the track. It is to help control
lateral movement and lets the screwspike only having to supply the clamping force.

Regards, Matt M.

posted: 24 Nov 2015 21:22

madscientist

Thanks. I have a better photo taken recently , still in the camera card , I'll upload it for info, tomorrow

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > representing Irish light weight flat-bottomed chairs
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020