author remove search highlighting

posted: 26 Nov 2015 10:58

grob1234

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Martin,
OK, so I understand from the brief RMW chat that for an irregualr crossing, I have to join the tracks up manually.
So here is what I did:
templot%20q2.pngtemplot%20q2.png

Which became this, after I erased the underlying tracks:
templot%20q3.pngtemplot%20q3.png

OK, fine! But the timbering on the crossing looks 'weird'. How can I sort that out?
Also, would the same principles apply if I wanted to create an irregular single/double slip within existing crossing plain track? I have watched the video on making slips and I think I just about have it, although thats for making ladder style crossings. My track plan seems to just have random slips all over the place, hence the need for the irregular ones. Hope my words make sense!
Many thanksTom

posted: 26 Nov 2015 16:27

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Tom,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

Instead of explaining in words, I have made you a bit of video.

This link is in the awful smudgy MP4 format, playable on all devices:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=uJpRngddpc2Hc8Pf8dHzgA2

And even smudgier on YouTube::

The file attached below is in the much better crisp FBR format and will play on the Templot FBR player if you are using Windows or Linux (but maybe not on Apple devices).

This is a short-angle diamond crossing, for which prototypes vary a lot. The timbers therefore need to be shoved manually to match your prototype, or to whatever you want. I will make another bit of video showing that shortly. Likewise the K-crossing check rails need some adjustments.

regards,

Martin.
Attachment: attach_2177_2792_clip2_edited.fbr     308

posted: 27 Nov 2015 01:36

Martin Wynne

Hi Tom,

Here's a bit of video showing timber shoving and check rail adjustments on the diamond-crossing.

Note that this can be a tedious task, so don't do it until your track plan is finalised. Otherwise it will be work wasted and needed to be done again. :(

Smudgy interactive MP4 version:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=4sfUlPH-MXJvUr1DPYDGDQ2

And also on YouTube even smudgier:

File attached below is the crisp FBR version.

regards,

Martin.
Attachment: attach_2179_2792_clip3_edited.fbr     244

posted: 27 Nov 2015 21:45

Jubilee42

Rødovre - Denmark

Martin Wynne wrote:
Hi Tom,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

Instead of explaining in words, I have made you a bit of video.

This is a short-angle diamond crossing, for which prototypes vary a lot. The timbers therefore need to be shoved manually to match your prototype, or to whatever you want. I will make another bit of video showing that shortly. Likewise the K-crossing check rails need some adjustments.

regards,

Martin.
Hi Martin,
 What a really useful video!!!

Best wishes
Richard

posted: 30 Nov 2015 16:12

grob1234

United Kingdom

Martin, thanks once again for posting this, it really helps :D

posted: 6 Dec 2015 15:56

grob1234

United Kingdom

Hi Martin,
Continuing on with my silly questions!
I have mastered diamonds and slips now, I'm quite happy with those, and they look rather lovely! As you may notice, I am working my way through plotting a well known ECML station.
The next question I have is, what is the best way to join A to B, below:
templot%20q4.pngtemplot%20q4.png

When I goto Tools > Make branch track, this happens:
templot%20q5.pngtemplot%20q5.png

Curving this piece of track would mean a kink at B, and using swell curving, would introduce a kink at A. So there must be a way to join these two pieces of track together using some sort of transition curve?
Many thanks in advance,Tom

posted: 6 Dec 2015 16:37

Martin Wynne

grob1234 wrote:

As you may notice, I am working my way through plotting a well known ECML station.
Hi Tom,

A sensible question would have been:

"Is it a good idea to try to learn Templot while designing my next major project, or would it be better to learn all the Templot stuff first on simple trial layouts, and then apply my Templot skills to my intended project?"

Guess what my answer would have been? :)

As you are you are likely to get well into making sawdust, and then realise when you know more about Templot that you could have made a better plan. Even at a basic level, Templot is 10 times easier to learn without a background scan obscuring what you are seeing. Aligning tracks over a prototype map is at the deep end of Templotting, and a good result usually means using all of the available Templot functions.

A point I have made many times, but no-one ever takes any notice, they all do the same as you, and dive straight in to the most difficult thing they can find. :)

In this case you need the make transition functions. I will make a bit of video shortly showing that.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 6 Dec 2015 16:51

grob1234

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
grob1234 wrote:

As you may notice, I am working my way through plotting a well known ECML station.
Hi Tom,

A sensible question would have been:

"Is it a good idea to try to learn Templot while designing my next major project, or would it be better to learn all the Templot stuff first on simple trial layouts, and then apply my Templot skills to my intended project?"

Guess what my answer would have been? :)

As you are you are likely to get well into making sawdust, and then realise when you know more about Templot that you could have made a better plan. Even at a basic level, Templot is 10 times easier to learn without a background scan obscuring what you are seeing. Aligning tracks over a prototype map is at the deep end of Templotting, and a good result usually means using all of the available Templot functions.

A point I have made many times, but no-one ever takes any notice, they all do the same as you, and dive straight in to the most difficult thing they can find. :)

In this case you need the make transition functions. I will make a bit of video shortly showing that.

regards,

Martin.
Martin,
You are of course quite correct. Believe it or not, I am using the plan to learn my Templot skills, and I have learned loads so far! It's not for a layout, just a practise. I find that if I just make plain templates I tend not to be very inventive when it comes to track formations. Anyhow, I enjoy the challenge, and so far have made (in my humble opinion) quite a nice start. I very much appreciate your continued support, and I also understand your feelings with regards to novices like myself biting off more than they can chew. Personally, if I don't push myself, then I won't learn, so the challenge is welcome. And I still think its a cracking piece of software :D 
Please rest assured, no wood will be harmed in the making of this plan :D

posted: 6 Dec 2015 17:07

Martin Wynne

Martin Wynne wrote:
Even at a basic level, Templot is 10 times easier to learn without a background scan obscuring what you are seeing.
p.s. Background images can be switched on and off by pressing the SHIFT+HOME keys. This makes it much easier to see what you are doing when making fine adjustments. (Also on the trackpad menu.)

Martin.

posted: 6 Dec 2015 19:43

Martin Wynne

grob1234 wrote:
Please rest assured, no wood will be harmed in the making of this plan :D
Hi Tom,

Ok, I understand. I still think you are making things unnecessarily difficult for yourself, trying to learn such functions as make transition, and make it fit over a background map at the same time. :)

Anyway, here is a bit of scruff video, showing the process.

If you find it can't be made to fit over your plan, it probably means that you need to change the V-crossing angle on the upper turnout, or adjust the relative positions of the two turnouts a little. Small changes can make a big difference in a situation such as this.

This is the smudgy MP4 video version, viewable on all devices:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=BNOraL16geCfC7-6T4zZfg2

Attached below is the crisp FBR version, which will open in the Templot video player.

regards,

Martin.
Attachment: attach_2185_2792_clip5_edited.fbr     275

posted: 7 Dec 2015 05:56

grob1234

United Kingdom

Martin,

Superb, thank you very much. The tip about shift and home is really really useful.

I've had a go at the transitions between points, and the result is really pleasing.

I can imagine you banging your head against the literal wall when it comes to people like me trying to plot the entire British Rail network at their first ever go at Templot! It seems you take a lot of pride in Templot, and that shows in the way you readily help people on this forum and others. I also imagine you don't want people to go right ahead and start printing templates for a layout design that is fundamentally wrong, so I think I know where you are coming from.

At this stage I am very much in the experimental phase and I imagine I will go through many iterations of the 'plan' as my plotting skills improve.

Thanks once again for the prompt responses, its greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Tom

posted: 7 Dec 2015 12:02

Martin Wynne

Hi Tom,

You're welcome. :)

I see from your plan that your next task will be to make an irregular diamond across the transition curve. There is a video showing how to do that -- help > watch a video > Scruff Video Andrew transition diamond menu item.

Basic info about transition curves here:

http://templot.com/martweb/gs_geometry.htm#transition

regards,

Martin.

posted: 8 Dec 2015 12:32

madscientist

Awesome stuff Martin , just awesome. Videos right when I need them, you are becoming a clairvoyant :D

Dave

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Irregular Diamonds and Making Transition
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020