topic: 2794 Bodmin general track plan, part 1 test track
author remove search highlighting

posted: 26 Nov 2015 17:47

Hayfield

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I need a test track for a couple of locos I am building and the thought being it could start off as a scenic plank which could in the future grow into a layout. I have chosen Bodmin General as the track plan either at the junction or into the engine shed both show promise as a test track/plank layout which could be enlarged at a future date. As the locos are in 00 gauge I have chosen 4fs 
Initially I was thinking of copying out today's track layout, but I failed to find an appropriate plan to copy. I did find one which I think is of the 30's. I don't think I have got the map up to 4 mm scale but just appx to size, and a bit of compression may be required. I have just used B6 turnouts, where other sizes may be more appropriate. 
The junction + goods yard turnout may be a good idea, though would it be challenging enough to test locos? 
Next would be the engine shed area. Compression of length would be needed, do I model it as historic (single road) or copy the double road engine shed, if so do I copy the turnout as it is with the double trap/catch points or fit in a double slip with a short head shunt ? Thoughts and ideas would be very welcome
Attachment: attach_2178_2794_Bodmin_general.box     316
Last edited on 26 Nov 2015 17:49 by Hayfield
posted: 20 Mar 2016 15:40

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Just about to move house (as planned) in just over a week and initially will only have a work bench to carry out my railway modelling. The currant plan is to build or have built a shed 10/12' long by 7' wide to house my layout and more importantly my work bench.
I have a soft spot for the Bodmin and Wenford Railway, especially the engine shed part. As I said before initially a small diorama is in my mind which can be extended into a layout when time and space. Bodmin could be modelled either as it was when GWR or as a preserved layout (allowing SR visiting locos etc) or as a Bodmin themed layout.
Firstly I have plenty of GWR chairs (both C&L and Exactoscale) so at least the cameo part could be chaired track with keys
Next I have been asked to demonstrate hand built track on the 7th of May, so I could take with me the turnout and slip partly built to work on. OK I know there is not a slip at the engine shed at Bodmin, but this is a Bodmin themed idea. Not too certain if to have a one road shed with a carriage siding between it and the running line, or a 2 road shed. The other end would have a small signal box at the end of the head shunt (which is there just to give additional operational interest
I have uploaded the latest revamped version, it may be better to have a switched diamond rather than a slip, also I have not made the track centres wide enough between the engine shed and main running line. At worst hopefully it will be a nice cameo to use to photograph stock once buildings and scenery are added, at best it can develop into a layout
Thoughts and suggestions are most welcome.
Attachment: attach_2248_2794_Bodmin_general.box     257

posted: 20 Mar 2016 20:23

Nigel Brown

Hi Hayfield

This may not be strictly relevant, but my current railroom is 10'3" x 8'6", not too different from your proposed shed. It houses a workbench and an L shaped 3mm layout (just, I'd half built the layout before deciding that's where it was going to go).

However, just out of interest I decided to see if I could fit a plan for a workable P4 layout in the same space, another L shaped layout in fact. I found I could. So you might have the room for a layout and not just a shunting plank.

posted: 20 Mar 2016 22:42

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Nigel

That's the idea in the long term. The short tern
m is that I have a full height cupboard which is 50" wide and 30" deep with double doors so I can fit a 2'deep building bench and close the doors behind me. A board with the turnout, slip and shed will be about 4' long but at least the route to Parkway is curved, a bit of modellers licence will be required or perhaps go outside ?

Initially may be a good piece to demonstrate track building, and best of all I have all the parts in stock

One thought is to change the slip into a switched diamond as the crossings are 1-6.

Thanks for the info

posted: 1 May 2016 10:40

Richard_Jones

Heswall - United Kingdom

Hi Hayfield,

Have you tried this resource for track plans:

http://maps.nls.uk/view/105993571

There only appears to be the 1907/08 plan available on the 25" to the mile series

Good luck with your project

regards

Richard

posted: 4 May 2016 15:26

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Richard

Thanks for the link, its very useful. I do have time to think about this as our latest idea about my workshop is to build a room on the side of the house at the same time we extend the rear of the property, sadly rather than permitted development it will need planning permission, so just have a bench in a large cupboard

John

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > Bodmin general track plan, part 1 test track
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020