author remove search highlighting

posted: 5 Dec 2015 09:27

BigAndy

Macclesfield - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hello all,
              This is my first posting on here and I really am very new to understanding Templot.

I am currently modelling Glasgow Queen Street in EM circa 1988 and a very good friend of mine, who has a computing background, very kindly learned how to use templot and then drew out the trackplan for me.

However, It has been drawn in Bullhead rail and I need to convert this to Flatbottom rail in order to crack on with tracklaying etc. I originally posted on RmWeb re this and was directed here by Martin Wynne, who has correctly stated that the difference in construction of FB turnouts compared to BH turnouts, is quite different.

I apologise in advance for being semi computer illiterate and need instruction at a very base level - don't worry, I won't be offended if you have to word it for dummmies!!3095_050425_020000000.jpg3095_050425_020000000.jpg

I've attached this shot as it shows the trackwork and turnout types.

cheers

Andy

posted: 5 Dec 2015 14:07

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Andy,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

Your picture shows a cast crossing and Pandrol fixings, so if that is 1988 it represents recent renewals at that time and is almost certainly 1432mm gauge vertical switches and crossings. Which is a much heavier design than bullhead track and noticeably different. How are you intending to model it? Colin Craig supplies some 4mm/ft components for such track, and also detailed templates showing the baseplates and fixings: 

http://colincraig4mm.co.uk/#/s-c/4532599929

http://colincraig4mm.co.uk/#/templates/4532603468

Unfortunately it is not possible to convert a Templot bullhead track plan to this with just a few clicks. It would require a redesign, using the restricted range of crossing angles normally employed in this track (7, 8, 9.25, 10.75, 15, ...) for natural-angle turnouts, and the double-curved vertical switches. These are not directly supported in Templot and would require partial templates to correctly represent them. They can be approximated using custom curved switches, and given the discrepancy in EM gauge preventing exact-scale representation of prototype track, this would probably be acceptable.

Clearly if you have a bullhead plan you could simply build it with flat-bottom rail, and Templot could be set to show the rail foot on the construction templates for that very easily. But it would not be a proper representation of the flat-bottom track in your picture.

If you post again and attach your Templot .box file, I will have a look at it and see what might be best.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 5 Dec 2015 14:56

BigAndy

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to use C+L individulay sleepers, Peco Pandrol clips and Peco Code 82 FB for the plain track, however, I'm planning on using Colin Craig's wonderful point kits - I've dropped him a message for some advice on construction etc.

I know I apologised for my complete lack of understanding when it comes to anything computer related, but erm, how do I attach the Templot.box file?

cheers

Andy:?

posted: 5 Dec 2015 15:24

Martin Wynne

BigAndy wrote:
how do I attach the Templot.box file?
Hi Andy,

Below where you are posting there is a button labelled Browse... or Choose... .

When you click it a dialog window will open for you to select the file to be attached.

Navigate to wherever you saved the Templot .box file. Which will be wherever you saved it when your friend sent it to you, or usually in the C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\BOX-FILES\ folder. Click on the file. It will then be attached to your post when you send it.

If you can't find it, in Templot click the files > (save) save all templates... menu item, and save a copy of the file in a known place where you can find it again when posting.

If that's too difficult, perhaps you could ask your friend to post it here?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 5 Dec 2015 17:04

BigAndy

Hi Martin,
               Ok, I think this is the correct .box file
Attachment: attach_2184_2800_glasgow_queen_street_2014_11_15_2224_49.box     303

posted: 7 Dec 2015 15:03

Martin Wynne

Hi Andy,

Thanks for uploading your file.

I'm working on creating approximations to the double-curved vertical 1432mm FB switches. These were used for renewals in the UK between the years circa 1970 - 2000.

Double-curved switches are not (yet) directly supported in Templot, although they can be exactly represented using partial templates. But I doubt many modellers would want to go that far, bearing in mind that it would only make sense if they are also precision-machining the chamfered planing, and using 1432mm track gauge (18.79mm in 4mm/ft scale). Perhaps a few modellers in the larger model engineering scales.

However, very close approximations, within normal modelling tolerances, can be created using single-curved switches. This is something I have been intending to do for years, so thanks for giving me a nudge to get on with it. :)

It will take a day or two, and then I will re-work your track plan using them as custom switches.

I'm intending to include them as a new range of pre-set switches in the next Templot program update.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 7 Dec 2015 17:18

BigAndy

You're a Gentleman Martin, thanks for digging me out of a hole.
Ask me to respray a 37 - no problem - ask me to do something on a computer and I get a sweat on........
No excuse though, I really must learn how to use Templot properly.

Cheers

Andy

posted: 27 Jul 2016 07:02

BigAndy

Hi Martin,
I know it's been a while since the last contact, but I've been in and out of hospital for most of this year, thankfully on the mend now.
I just wondered if you had managed to get round to re-working the trackplan at all?

I'm aiming to be getting back to some serious modelling at last and will be at the stage of needing a printout in the not too distant future.

Many thanks

Andy

posted: 28 Jul 2016 11:36

Martin Wynne

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear you have been ill, I hope you are feeling better soon.

I too need hospitalisation -- for a new brain.

Nowadays I keep getting side-tracked and forgetting things. I made a start on adding the double-curved vertical FB switches to Templot, but something else came up, and now I've forgotten where I got to. :(

But I must get on with it, because a program update is long overdue. When that's done I will be able to convert your plan and you will be able to use it.

Sorry about the delay. If you need it urgently I can quickly convert it to the BS-113A inclined FB, but that would pre-date most of the track in your photograph. Of course hardly anyone would know the difference in an EM model, especially if you built in some cast crossings and lengthened the check rails.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 28 Jul 2016 19:01

BigAndy

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the speedy reply. Don't worry, to be honest, modelling has been the last thing on my mind for the last few months anyway!

Anyway, hmmmmmmm, in all honesty I would probably be looking at needing the trackplan ready for printing out within the next two weeks. I don't know if you would class that as urgent or whether you can get the program update done within that time, and then convert the Queen St plan or not, but approx two weeks is when we'll be looking at getting the trackplan stuck to the boards.

Many thanks

Andy

posted: 26 Sep 2016 13:35

BigAndy

Hi Martin,
Sorry to mither you, but I was just wondering how the update is coming along. I'm going to be in a position to start laying the plan down fairly soon, so thought I'd just drop a line to see how things are going.

cheers

Andy

posted: 6 Dec 2016 11:10

BigAndy

Hi Martin,
I'm very nearly at the point of needing the trackplan for tracklaying!

I was wondering how the update is going?

Many thanks

Andy

posted: 7 Dec 2016 06:58

Martin Wynne

Hi Andy,

I'm sorry to say I haven't had much time for Templot recently. :(

I can't give any date for the next update, and I can't guarantee that a new range of FB vertical switches will be in it. It is long overdue, so I may need to leave some unfinished stuff out of it in order to get it released.

I don't believe many folks would notice or know the difference if you used the existing BS-113A inclined FB switches which are already in Templot. Especially as it is EM so can't be an exact scale model of the prototype.

To change, for each turnout, put the peg on CTRL-4 and then change the switch  in the list. It will likely make the turnout a fraction longer, but not enough to disrupt your plan.

At some stage in the future Templot will definitely contain the vertical 1432mm switches, but I don't do dates, sorry -- that's one of the reasons Templot is free. Also I'm not yet decided what to do about the 1432mm gauge (now abandoned by Network Rail) which should be 18.79mm in P4. The difference will be noticeable when zoomed in on the screen.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Help for Someone new
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020