Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 2823Track bed Width
author remove search highlighting

posted: 18 Jan 2016 07:52

Gordon S

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Is it possible to lock the trackbed width to a specific dimension? I have double track width changing from 44.47mm on straight track to 50mm on curve track to avoid long wheelbase vehicles clashing.

I've only just appreciated that the track bed width is a function of the track centres and changes as the track centres change. Setting trackbed width at 90mm gives an overall width of 140mm when using 50mm track centres. Reducing that to 44.67mm track centres now means the trackbed is only 134.67mm wide.

When building an 'open plan' layout with dedicated trackbed rather than a flat baseboard, it would be useful to set double track trackbed as a fixed dimension for continuity purposes throughout the layout.

posted: 18 Jan 2016 08:25

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Gordon S wrote:
I've only just appreciated that the track bed width is a function of the track centres and changes as the track centres change. Setting trackbed width at 90mm gives an overall width of 140mm when using 50mm track centres. Reducing that to 44.67mm track centres now means the trackbed is only 134.67mm wide.
Hi Gordon,

The trackbed width is constant for a single track and not affected by changes to the track spacing setting.

But obviously for double track, if the distance between the tracks changes, the distance between the outer edges of the trackbed will change.

In most cases I would think that would be what you want? For example if the tracks are on an embankment, you would want the edge of the trackbed and/or cess to be a constant dimension from the nearest track. For the cess/ballast option you would want that in all cases.

I will look at adding an option in Templot (yet another :( ) to reference the trackbed edges from the double-track centre-line instead of the single-track centre-line. But at present the only option is to group all the templates with the smaller spacing, and use modify group to match on them to increase the trackbed width by the relevant amount. Sorry about that.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 18 Jan 2016 09:08

Gordon S

As always, Martin, there is no need to apologise...

I guess I'm looking at it from a baseboard building perspective and it wasn't until I had cut some new trackbed that I realised what had happened. I found a work round by setting the track bed width to 90mm for 50mm track centres and 95.33mm track bed width when using 44.67mm track centres.

Having a constant track bed width is quite useful when it comes to standardising the width of risers etc as if you are not too careful, you can end up with track bed screws either underneath the cork track bed or too near the edge of the riser and the wood splits. I always try to have the width of the riser the same as that of the trackbed, then I know exactly how much space I have to play with when using screws to secure the trackbed to the riser.

I also use the additional width of the trackbed as a support structure where you have tracks at different levels and may use retaining walls or a scenic cutting between the two levels. Changing the width of the trackbed means more thought has to go into how scenic elements are supported.

As I said, I do have a work round, but it would be a 'nice to have option' from a woodworking perspective.

posted: 24 Feb 2017 10:00

Jubilee42

Rødovre - Denmark

Hi Martin
in the very useful video you stuck on Gordons ET blog several years ago http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3422-eastwood-town-a-fresh-start/page-2
you showed how to do this, but I can't find the feature in 2.14a. Has it moved?

posted: 24 Feb 2017 10:25

Gordon S

Trackbed widths etc are still there in 2.14a.

They're under 'geometry' and then trackbed edges. You need to add trackbed edge TS and MS and then set the trackbed width. Once you have done this on one piece of track, it's easy to then use the group function and finally use the 'modify group to match' command to add the same trackbed width to the whole group.
Last edited on 24 Feb 2017 10:27 by Gordon S
posted: 25 Feb 2017 15:45

Jubilee42

Rødovre - Denmark

Thanks! Especially for the group tip - I'd not have thought of that myself. As I'm also building in 4-sf - what trackbed width do you use?
Gordon S wrote:

They're under 'geometry' and then trackbed edges. You need to add trackbed edge TS and MS and then set the trackbed width. Once you have done this on one piece of track, it's easy to then use the group function and finally use the 'modify group to match' command to add the same trackbed width to the whole group.

posted: 25 Feb 2017 15:48

Jubilee42

Rødovre - Denmark

Actually Gordon you've already answered this! Sorry!
Jubilee42 wrote:
Thanks! Especially for the group tip - I'd not have thought of that myself. As I'm also building in 4-sf - what trackbed width do you use?
Gordon S wrote:

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Track bed Width
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020