topic: 285Keyboard shortcut for 'Wipe to current'
author remove search highlighting

posted: 13 Dec 2007 14:29

mattots

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I noticed the other day when using Templot on my laptop that nearly all the other functions I regularly use have a keyboard shortcut assigned to them (which I already use) but 'Wipe to current template' does not. Seeing as this is one of the most frequently used functions, it would be really nice if this could have a keyboard shortcut assigned to it.

Matt

posted: 13 Dec 2007 16:07

renluethi

Dietlikon - Switzerland

How about double clicking on the storage box items to delete them to the control?
René

posted: 13 Dec 2007 20:43

Alan Turner

Dudley - United Kingdom

mattots wrote:
I noticed the other day when using Templot on my laptop that nearly all the other functions I regularly use have a keyboard shortcut assigned to them (which I already use) but 'Wipe to current template' does not. Seeing as this is one of the most frequently used functions, it would be really nice if this could have a keyboard shortcut assigned to it.

Matt

How odd, I've never used Wipe to Current!

Alan

posted: 13 Dec 2007 21:56

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Hi All

I find that if I use wipe to current/control (depends on version) I get a shed load of templates whilst delete to control I only get one.

Cheers Phil

posted: 13 Dec 2007 22:35

mattots

United Kingdom

Doh... I've been using Wipe to Current all this time and then wondering why I had so many hundreds of spare templates crowding out my storage box!!!!!

OK, let me revise my request... it would be very useful to have a keyboard shortcut for Delete to Current!

Matt

posted: 13 Dec 2007 23:02

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

I was just thinking how many different ways there are to use Templot - I virtually never use "Wipe to Current" or the storage box!!

A "Delete to the control" (not 'current', any more!) shortcut would be quite nice though.

I'm also getting the impression there's some confusion over the different functions of Wipe, Copy and Delete.

'Wipe to control/current' leaves a copy of the background template in your storage box whilst removing it from the background.  A sure-fire way to clutter your storage box with unused templates if not used carefully (as Matt has discovered, I think).

'Delete to control' removes it from both the backgound and storage box and makes it your new control (or current, depending on version) template.  Probably the one I use the most.

'Copy to control' leaves it in both storage box and background, and makes the template your new control template.   This  one is a sure-fire way of getting multiple templates on top of each other if you're not careful!

Hopefully understanding that will prevent multiple copies of templates floating about!  I've certainly seen the "I've got lots of duplicate templates - how did that happen?" question quite a few times.

posted: 14 Dec 2007 00:44

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

mattots wrote:
I noticed the other day when using Templot on my laptop that nearly all the other functions I regularly use have a keyboard shortcut assigned to them (which I already use) but 'Wipe to current template' does not.
Hi Matt,

There aren't enough conventional shortcuts to go round, unfortunately.

However, wipe to current/control does have a shortcut -- the letter p. Just click on the template and then press P. You can see the letter p underlined as an accelerator key on the template's menu on the left:

accel_keys.pngaccel_keys.png

p.s. You may have set up your copy of Windows to show the accelerator key underlines only when you press ALT, in which case the shortcut becomes ALT+P.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 14 Dec 2007 01:02

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Paul Boyd wrote:
Hopefully understanding that will prevent multiple copies of templates floating about!  I've certainly seen the "I've got lots of duplicate templates - how did that happen?" question quite a few times.
Hi Paul,

It is all explained in the docs, but not everyone reads them! :( See:

http://www.templot.com/martweb/gs_bgpop.htm

which admittedly is way out of date, but it does actually explain these functions. I've emphasized the relevant bits in bold red:
-------------------------------------
  • copy to current
  • wipe to current
  • delete to current
    These three options all make the current template an exact copy of this background template.

For copy to current, the background template is unchanged, and the new current template will be drawn directly over the top of it. The background template will not therefore be visible until the current template is moved away. (Toggling the pad > hide current template menu item on and off or presing the HOME key will reveal the background template unchanged.) Use this option when you don't want to disturb the background template, but wish to use a copy of it, or a template derived from it, elsewhere.

For wipe to current, this background template is wiped from the pad, and is no longer visible. It remains in your storage box as an unused template and can if needed be re-instated as a background template by clicking the copy to background button on the storage box window. Use this option when you want to try making some changes to this template, without losing the option to revert to the previous design.

red_pointer.gifred_pointer.gifRemember to put the modified current template on the background in its place (control > store & background menu item) when you have finished making changes. The template which you are adjusting is the current template, not the unused one in the box.

For delete to current, this background template is deleted from your storage box. Use this option when you are sure that you do not want this template in its present form. You can undo the delete by selecting the edit > undo delete menu item on the storage box, but only if you have made no subsequent deletions from the box.

• regards,

• Martin.

posted: 14 Dec 2007 01:29

mattots

United Kingdom

That's great, I didn't realise there were access keys set up for the menus. Just what I was looking for. Thanks.

Matt

posted: 15 Dec 2007 00:26

richard_t

Nr. Spalding, South Holland - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:

regards,

Martin.

Microsoft's newer development tools now do two stage keypresses for shortcuts. It's a pain to relearn stuff, but it works. For example Debug / Breakpoint list is CTRL D followed by B whilst the control key is still down. Debug / Exceptions is CTRL D, E.

A pain to implement I'd imagine.

Richard.

posted: 15 Dec 2007 03:24

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

richard_t wrote:

Martin Wynne wrote:

regards,

Martin.

Microsoft's newer development tools now do two stage keypresses for shortcuts. It's a pain to relearn stuff, but it works. For example Debug / Breakpoint list is CTRL D followed by B whilst the control key is still down. Debug / Exceptions is CTRL D, E.

A pain to implement I'd imagine.

Richard.

Or it might be possible to do what some software packages do and allow the keyboard shortcuts to be selectable by the user,  and these selections can be saved as configuration files.   This doesn't get round the lack of shortcut combinations to cover every action available,  but it would allow users to set up shortcuts for the actions they want.

Jim.

posted: 18 Dec 2007 03:09

mattots

United Kingdom

Jim Guthrie wrote:
Or it might be possible to do what some software packages do and allow the keyboard shortcuts to be selectable by the user,  and these selections can be saved as configuration files.   This doesn't get round the lack of shortcut combinations to cover every action available,  but it would allow users to set up shortcuts for the actions they want.
That would be a nice feature.
Matt

Templot Club > Forums > I wish it would... > Keyboard shortcut for 'Wipe to current'
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020