Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 2861Background Shapes colour
author remove search highlighting

posted: 17 Mar 2016 08:09

PaulTownsend

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
An existing file of shapes has colours all very pale yellow so the lines are barely visible after adding a picture.
I have tried changing the shapes colour but it doesn't seem to work, although the line thickness switch works, and any individual shape selected appears in red

I am sure I have done this before successfully, what am I doing wrong?
Last edited on 17 Mar 2016 08:12 by PaulTownsend
posted: 17 Mar 2016 10:00

PaulTownsend

I found the inhibition to change shapes colour is connected with the fact that the imported picture has a frame that is in itself a shape and much larger than the picture. That shape gains the new colour requested.
So it seems the picture frame suppresses colour change of other shapes behind it, which is a shame.

posted: 17 Mar 2016 12:15

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

PaulTownsend wrote:
So it seems the picture frame suppresses colour change of other shapes behind it, which is a shame.
Hi Paul,

I can't reproduce that. :?

Could you post a step-by-step recipe to demonstrate it? You may find that the colours update if you zoom out a bit and then zoom back in. Or try pressing F12.

Are you referring to background shapes on the screen (the trackpad window)? Or on the output (printed templates, PDF, sketchboard, etc.)? or in DXF files?

The settings for each are separate.

Assuming you mean the screen (trackpad):

If you don't want the borders on picture shapes, you can turn them off by unticking this option:

2_170657_140000000.png2_170657_140000000.png

To change the shapes colours and line thicknesses, use these settings:

2_170657_140000001.png2_170657_140000001.png

If some lines are appearing faint, it may be because they are conflicting with the grid lines, in which case make sure this option is unticked:

2_170657_140000002.png2_170657_140000002.png

If you are referring to lines on the output (print, PDF, image files, sketchboard, etc.), see these topics:

topic 2848

topic 2855 - message 20069

regards,

Martin.

posted: 18 Mar 2016 12:34

PaulTownsend

The problem was on the trackpad.
I can import a set of background shapes and set their colour.
If I then import the picture it came with a white "canvass" which was much bigger than the picture and which hides the previous set of shapes, so although I can apparently change their colour they are invisible.

I am unsure how this large canvass was generated, during rescaling and twisting the picture.
New shapes added after the picture were visible.

I deleted the picture and other shapes and reimported the picture, rescaling etc and now the canvass is same size as picture.
By adding the other shapes from file AFTER the picture they are now fully visible and colour changes behave as wanted.

Problem solved!

posted: 18 Mar 2016 21:12

Martin Wynne

PaulTownsend wrote:
By adding the other shapes from file AFTER the picture they are now fully visible and colour changes behave as wanted.
Hi Paul,

The background shapes are drawn on the screen in the order they appear in the list. This means that those first in the list may be obscured by those later in the list. You can change the order by selecting a shape on the list and using the the brown arrow buttons to move it up or down:

2_181607_010000000.png2_181607_010000000.png

In addition, picture shapes can be displayed transparently, so that they don't obscure any shapes behind them. Select the picture shape on the list, then on the modify shape tab, tick the show image transparent option box. Note that Templot does this for any image, it is not necessary to create it as a transparent image in your graphics program.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 19 Mar 2016 13:48

PaulTownsend

Templot just gets better every time I use it......I must be a slow learner!

Thanks for those tips Martin, they helped a lot because when I reloaded the next day the "white canvas" around my picture was large again. Now the piccie is transparent it doesn't matter.

I had previously used the ordering of shapes tool but had not realised your point about them being displayed in order of creation and then the order of the list after tweaking that.

posted: 19 Mar 2016 15:59

Martin Wynne

Hi Paul,

If you use the twist function on a picture shape it does get larger, with triangular blank areas at the corners.

Also when scanning images they can sometimes contain unwanted blank areas, which only become a nuisance after loading into a picture shape.

You could of course save the oversize image (save... button), crop it to a more convenient size in a graphics program, and then reload it as a new picture shape.

The disadvantage there is that you would lose the size and position settings from the previous picture shape and need to establish these again for the new picture shape.

I am therefore adding a new crop function in the next Templot program update. It will be possible to create a rectangle shape over a picture shape, and then crop the picture shape to fit that rectangle. Thus preserving the position and scaling for the image:

2_191048_000000000.png2_191048_000000000.png

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Background Shapes colour
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020