author remove search highlighting

posted: 17 Dec 2007 23:50

Raymond Gibson

Jacksonville - Florida USA

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Martin,

I am still (after six months) pondering on upgrading from my existing computer & having done various costings, long term projections & looked at working examples have decided that the large Mac computers are the best for my future requirements.

Am I correct in believing that Templot will not directly work on this range of computers, but that it would need Windows XP installing as a secondary system?  (It would be nice to dispense with Windows altogether!!).

Many thanks.

posted: 18 Dec 2007 14:29

roger_laishley

Raymond

I too am a Mac user, and can happily confirm that Templot runs very well indeed (and very fast) on the new iMac computers.

You can do this in two ways:
Either you install the latest Mac OSX, which is 10.5 (and called Leopard), which has an optional installer for a programme called BootCamp. This OS will be pre-loaded with any new Mac that you buy now. What BootCamp does is enable you to install a new version of Windows XP or Vista directly onto the Mac itself. You do need a new version, as it will be need to be registered with Microsoft in the usual way over the Internet. Then , you need to restart (reboot) the Mac when you want to operate Windows. Because all Macs have dual processors, it's very quick.

The other way is to buy a programme called Parallels, which you install on the Mac, and then also install Windows XP or Vista. Parallels grabs a protion of your Hard Drive and runs Windows in it. The difference is that no rebooting is required, as the Mac and Windows OS's run at the same time. The beauty of this is that you can seamlessly drag and drop between the two. You can also use all the same peripherals, like scanners, printers etc.

Although I'm not (yet) an expert in Templot, this has really opened Martin's programme up to us Mac users!

By the way, all the essential Templot keyboard shortcuts still work - as Macs do not have a left mouse button, you hold down the Alt (Option) key to access them all.

Roger

posted: 19 Dec 2007 22:12

Raymond Gibson

Roger,

Thanks very much for your advice - not only for the obvious guidance but, also, for the moral support to change over to Mac.  I have (yesterday) watched several online tutorials as well as trying out iMac & MacPro in a retailer; Mac is far superior to a Windows PC (rather like comparing the space shuttle to an old Lada!) & will handle all my other work in a far better & easier way.  It is not even worth having a PC built to my own matching specifications, as was my original intention.

Regards,

Raymond.

posted: 19 Dec 2007 22:37

roger_laishley

Raymond

I won't introduce a new debate about Macs v PC's here, as Martin will soon find his Forum awash with conflicting opinions, none of which will relate to Templot!

Suffice to say that, in my opinion (we have used them in a Design Studio environment for many years), they are very easy to use, very reliable, and (so far) don't suffer any viruses, also they quite nice to look at. Since they switched to Dual, Quad and 8-Core Intel processors, they will run any Windows programme faster than almost any PC machine - just watch Templot fly!!

So, go buy yourself a brilliant Christmas present!

Roger

posted: 20 Dec 2007 00:12

Cynric Williams

Just to add, that after some initial teething problems I have a totally trouble free installation of Templot running on my Macbook via VM fusion and Windows XP.
As for switching once you have done it you won't want to go back! I only use windows for Templot everything else is done in OSX or Ubuntu

posted: 20 Dec 2007 00:40

jhnj26

Putting aside the other problems (1), be sure you get a correctly functioning display:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/12/19/apple_display_update/

(1) http://www.tomsguide.com/us/mac-pro-imac,review-999.html

- John

posted: 20 Dec 2007 11:31

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

roger_laishley wrote:
I won't introduce a new debate about Macs v PC's here, as Martin will soon find his Forum awash with conflicting opinions, none of which will relate to Templot!

Hi Roger, Cynric, John,

No problem, but if it's not Templot-specific, please start a new Mac topic in the "Off track" forum. :)

Many thanks for the information about Macs.

Just to clarify -- can you now run Templot on a Mac straight out of the box, or do you need to buy/download/fit additional software/Windows/hardware first? If so, what is the typical extra cost on top of the Mac?

There are some hardware settings in Templot, and I would be interested to know how they affect cpu-usage, cpu-temperature, battery-life, fan-activity, etc., on a Mac? On the control room / program panel window, click the program > expert > cpu usage > menu options. There are some help notes to explain the options. Is there any difference in this regard between XP and Vista?

Can you shed any light on the matter of Windows Media Player on a Mac? In particular, what do you see when you run:

http://www.templot.com/martweb/videos/turntable_part_3_test.exe

and are you using Windows XP or Vista? If you have both, is there any difference?

Many thanks.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 21 Dec 2007 00:35

Cynric Williams

Martin
Just to clarify -- can you now run Templot on a Mac straight out of the box, or do you need to buy/download/fit additional software/Windows/hardware first? If so, what is the typical extra cost on top of the Mac?
[You need a virtual machine or bootcamp (which comes with osx10.5) I use VM ware fusion which costs £50 you also need a copy of windows XP

There are some hardware settings in Templot, and I would be interested to know how they affect cpu-usage, cpu-temperature, battery-life, fan-activity, etc., on a Mac? On the control room / program panel window, click the program > expert > cpu usage > menu options. There are some help notes to explain the options. Is there any difference in this regard between XP and Vista?

I couldn't comment! Vista was a pain I just run CPU on 100% the fans never come on so it isn't stressing it much!

Can you shed any light on the matter of Windows Media Player on a Mac? In particular, what do you see when you run:

nothing in osx it can't execute the file. if it was a wmp it would pay in quicktime with flip4mac

and are you using Windows XP or Vista? If you have both, is there any difference?

Vista was a nightmare with the virtual machine last time i tried so I would suggest XP

as an aside
http://www.codeweavers.com/ could be the best solution but I haven't tried it and it would mean reactivating templot etc although I could download the trial and give it a go sometime
I think it is fair to say that templot should run without problems in xp on a virtual machine or bootcamp. BUT It would be unreasonable to expect full support from you running it in this configuration.
Cynric

posted: 21 Dec 2007 01:39

Templot User

Posted By Email

----- from ncliffe2001 -----

Martin Wynne wrote:

It would all be software costs. As Templot is a Windows application, the Mac owner needs to get Windows onto their machine.

A new Mac with "Leopard" version of MacOS includes the Bootcamp software. An older Mac may need to purchase an upgrade to a version with "Bootcamp". That allows the Mac to hardware to boot a different operating system.

A Mac user can optionally purchase "Parallels". That allows another operating system to run within a sub-window under MacOS. More flexible than "bootcamp", but at higher cost if customer already has a Leopard version. (May be cheaper than upgrading to Leopard, though would need to check compatibility).

In either case, the customer must also obtain Microsoft Windows. Officially this would be a full retail package, though I imagine many will push the licensing rules towards their limit and obtain an OEM copy.

Costs -
Leopard (free with a new Mac) is £85
Parallels is £50
Windows is from about £50 (OEM) or £170+ (Retail)

So, minimum cost is £50 for OEM Windows for someone who already has a Mac OS with "Bootcamp". Maximum would be over £300 for everything, including a full retail Windows.

Someone with a genuine full Windows CD (not necessarily a manufacturer specific one) might be able to scrap their old PC and then re-register the serial number of their Windows license with Microsoft. Consult the licence for how much this is permitted.

Hope this helps. ( And tried hard to avoid any Windows vs MacOS debates/wars ).

posted: 21 Dec 2007 15:40

roger_laishley

Just to reply on this point... when Martin's video .exe file is double clicked in Mac OSX (with Parallels installed) the Mac will automatically open Parallels, which will then, for the first time only, ask for a "TSCC Video Codec" to be installed, offering a direct link to the download site. Once this is installed (in the Mac OS, not Windows), future video .exe files will open and play automatically in Windows.

posted: 9 Jan 2008 04:13

Raymond Gibson

Hi everyone,

Belated Best Wishes for the New Year, & thanks for all the very valuable information.  I have spent the last few weeks browsing Apple shops in Washington & Salem (my time is now split between homes in the USA - having been granted permanent residence - & UK!!) before deciding on the specification of the new computer.  It will be the MacPro because of the greater scope for upgrades (iMac looks nice but, surprisingly, is limited to a maimum memory of 4GB); anticipated purchase date is end of February/beginning of March.  Having tried some of its capabilities in the shops, I am now licking my lips in eager anticipation!!  So very much better than the dreadful (Ford) Windows setup!  Fast & beautiful.....the computers' equivalent of a Porche

Here in the US, Parallels or Fusion cost $78 (about 40 in British coinage) but have not yet decided between them as opinions seem to be equal as to which (if any) is best.  Either will avoid the hassle of having to restart the computer everytime Templot is used.

Is it possible to transfer the Windows on my old PC, so as not to have to pay Microsoft for another copy of XP (even if it is OEM)?

Raymond.

posted: 15 Feb 2008 21:19

John Searle

Hi Everyone

Encouraged by reading this thread, I have now installed Templot on my Mac. So far everything seems to run very well. I have calibrated my printer which seems to work as it should. The program runs quickly and I have had no problems so far.

My Mac is an iMac Intel Core Duo 2GHz with 2GB of memory running OSX 10.5.2

I am using Parallels3 with a copy of windows XP which came with an old computer. The printer is a Canon MP210. The tutorials all run in Parallels without problem even when Templot is not running.

Now to learn the program

John

posted: 29 Feb 2008 00:43

Graham Astill

Hi Mac users,
I too have now installed Templot onto my new iMac running on OSX10.5 Leopard using the Bootcamp facility and windows Vista.
Everything seems to be in place but I have problem in that the function(F) keys do not activate the procedures as per the software.  F3,4,5 and 6 are ok but the other F keys elicit no response.
I note from prevous messages that use of the 'Option' key is required for keyboard shortcuts (which I have not as yet tried) but no mention of the 'F' keys other than the response to Brian Lewis regarding problems with wireless controls - mine are the old-fashioned wired-up versions.
Help please,   Thank you.

Graham Astill

posted: 29 Feb 2008 12:31

John Searle

Hi Graham

I am using parallels with Windows XP. I have checked my function keys and find that F1 to F7 are working normally. After that the keys revert to the Mac system - F8 is spaces and so on. I tend to use the menus most of the time so I don't miss the missing F keys.

One small problem that I do have is that when I use the printer in Templot, windows seems to grab the printer and refuse to let go. The only way I can get the printer to work again on the Mac side is to reboot the computer. Not a major problem, it just means I have to organise my printing sessions.

regards

John

posted: 1 Mar 2008 00:26

BeamEnds

Just a note to remind everyone about Linux (Mac OS 10 is a flavour of Linux/Unix by the way - what out for those viruses!) - and it's *all* free! Templot works well with Wine, but I've only got it going in read-only mode at the moment....

Cheers
Richard

posted: 1 Mar 2008 00:42

Ashley

I use 10.4.11 and Templot using Virtual PC. My function keys only work reliably if I press the combination of the fn key and the F# key.

posted: 3 Mar 2008 00:30

Graham Astill

Many thanks for your replies and help.  From the info provided I think I have cracked the non-functioning function key problem. 
Now to draw some trackwork:)
Best wishes,  Graham Astill

posted: 18 Mar 2008 00:43

Simon Dunkley

Oakham - United Kingdom

Templot User wrote:
----- from ncliffe2001 -----

In either case, the customer must also obtain Microsoft Windows. Officially this would be a full retail package, though I imagine many will push the licensing rules towards their limit and obtain an OEM copy.

Costs -
Leopard (free with a new Mac) is £85
Parallels is £50
Windows is from about £50 (OEM) or £170+ (Retail)

What's the deal here with the OEM version? OK, so it is probably bending the rules a little, but I have recently bought an iMac (very nice apart from the very un-ergonomic keyboard), and want to put Templot on it. I have no other need for Windows on the machine, but cannot (legally) take the copy of Windows that came with the PC I no longer use (except for Templot) as that has passed to my daughter.
I don't mind paying £50 to get Templot up and running (on a pounds per hour basis, I have found Templot very cheap. Also very expensive whilst on the steep upwards learning curve!) but £170 is too much, even if cheaper than being caught for software piracy...

And can I second the idea that an area is put aside here for Mac users?

Simon

posted: 18 Mar 2008 01:17

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Simon Dunkley sayeth:
What's the deal here with the OEM version? OK, so it is probably bending the rules a little, but I have recently bought an iMac (very nice apart from the very un-ergonomic keyboard), and want to put Templot on it. I have no other need for Windows on the machine, but cannot (legally) take the copy of Windows that came with the PC I no longer use (except for Templot) as that has passed to my daughter.
The OEM version is only allowed to be used on the PC that it was supplied with.  Even if you buy another PC and scrap the first, you cannot legally transfer the OEM copy of Windows onto the new one.   You are allowed to "repair" that existing PC though :cool:  I think that M$ have relaxed the rules slightly though because on my new-build PC with an existing OEM license I fully expected to have to go through the telephone activation route yet again, but it went straight through online without having to enter any 42 digit numbers.

As an aside, dealers that sell OEM copies on their own are breaking M$'s license agreements.

posted: 21 Mar 2008 18:18

Raymond Gibson

Can someone save me time & help with a small hiccup, regarding the 82d Pug?

74b loaded onto my new Mac/VMFusion combination, & is working beautifully (as far as I have time to test it). When I downloaded the Pug update it went into Finder.......my Home Directory>Downloads>templot_pug_082d_setup.exe

In all innocence(?) I clicked on this "setup.exe" file, expecting it to runbut, instead, had a window appear - full of code - & headed "This program cannot be run in DOS mode". With no real expectations, I tried dragging the file from Finder into the Templot window - & that did not work.

So, what can I do, please?

Hopefully, a simpler task is finding all my stored templates on the old computer & transferring them over: would the Pug also be somewhere on the old system & be easier to copy over via a memory stick?

Everything has some problems, especially when the system is very different. Off Templot topics, it is noticeable that, for example, my old WordPerfect Office (which is run courtesy of Fusion) is far better than Apple's iWork '08.
But I am really delighted with the changeover to Mac - it is brilliant! It just takes time to learn.

posted: 21 Mar 2008 19:06

Martin Wynne

Raymond Gibson wrote:
would the Pug also be somewhere on the old system & be easier to copy over via a memory stick?
Hi Raymond,

Mac-speak is a foreign language to me, so I can't help much. :(

However, assuming a USB stick saved on a PC can be read on a Mac (can it?), and assuming you kept your template files in the default location (\TEMPLOT\BOX-FILES), this is much the easiest way of transferring both the Pug and the template files.

Just copy the entire contents of your \TEMPLOT folder on the PC into your \TEMPLOT folder on the Mac, and you're done. All that will then be needed when Templot starts is to re-enter your new lock-release code.

If a USB stick won't work, you can do the same thing by copying your files on a CD.

This portability is the great advantage of keeping program and data all in the same place, something which has been questioned in another topic.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 22 Mar 2008 18:25

Raymond Gibson

Hi Martin - & Everyone,

It looks as some precise technical software guidance is what I need relating to copying things on Mac/Templot, as I have been able to transfer normal Word Processing files (or similar} quite easily.

What I did/did not manage to do is as follows:-

1) On the PC, delved down into the Templot Directories & found all the individual files (such as DXF-Files, SHAPE-FILES, etc). I did not find one obviously marked up as the 82 Pug, but did have the 2007 '90x' someodd one with the name TemplotZero.exe. Any files prior to 2007 were ignored, assuming that they would be on the original early program but recent ones - 2007 & 2008 - were chosen.

2) All selected files were successfully copied to a memory stick which was then plugged into the Mac.

3) The resultant stick icon was clicked & the individual files appeared in its Mac window. After spending time unsuccessfully, trying to find out how to copy these items to Templot, I opened up Windows Search (on Mac) & displayed all the existing folders just as I did with the PC.

4) Then I tried to Drag & Drop them from the memory stick window into the Search (Templot) window. The TemplotZero.exe appears to have taken: a message was displayed, saying that a file already existed from a very early date & did I want to overwrite it......to which I said 'Yes'.

5) However, when I tried the same technique with the DXF, pbo.ebk, etc. data, they would not move in the same way; but Mr. Mac gave me the dire warning "Are you sure that you want to Uninstall Templot". So I dare not risk any more stumbling attempts!

Regards,

Raymond.

posted: 22 Mar 2008 19:48

Martin Wynne

Raymond Gibson wrote:
It looks as some precise technical software guidance

Hi Raymond,

This is how to transfer Templot to a new computer.

1. On the brand new computer, download and install version 074b of Templot,
    but don't have it running.

2. On the OLD computer:

a. bung in a USB stick

b. in My Computer, navigate to drive C:

c. scroll down to the folder TEMPLOT

d. right-click on it

e. select Copy.

f. in My Computer, navigate to the USB stick, say it's drive F:

g. click Edit > Paste menu item.

h. when it stops flashing, remove the USB stick.

3. On the NEW computer (and in Windows, if it's a Mac)

a. bung in the USB stick

b. in My Computer, navigate to the USB stick, say it's drive G:

c. scroll down to the folder TEMPLOT

d. right-click on it

e. select Copy.

f. in My Computer, navigate to drive C:

g. click Edit > Paste menu item.

h. Windows will say "This folder already contains a folder named TEMPLOT".
      Click "Yes to All", and answer "Yes" to any other "Are you sure?" messages.

4. On the new computer, start Templot. It will ask for your new lock-release code. Enter it.

You will now have Templot running on the new computer exactly as you had it on the old, including all your data files, pug version, everything.

The above assumes that you have used the Templot defaults for the program and data locations on both computers. If you have done your own thing, only you know what that is and what to move where.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 23 Mar 2008 03:10

Raymond Gibson

Hi Martin,

Very many thanks for your step by step guidance. It was all laid out extremely clearly & proved easy to follow.

Although I have not had the time today for any actual work on Mac Templot, everything transferred over beautifully; Martin you are a GENIUS!!

Regards,

Raymond.

posted: 6 Apr 2008 01:57

Simon Dunkley

Oakham - United Kingdom

Well, I have installed Parallels and Vista, and gone to Epson's website to download the printer driver I need, and run their installation program.
Anyone got any idea how to get Vista to accept the *****y thing?:?
Presumably this would be an issue if I just had Vista anyway.

(I didn't mean to get Vista, but when I did a search in Google on XP and OEM, the link it gave me for one-click buying was for Vista. When it arrived and I saw what I had bought, I figured it was worth trying.)

Simon
Last edited on 6 Apr 2008 01:57 by Simon Dunkley
posted: 6 Apr 2008 15:38

Raymond Gibson

Hi Simon,

It will not be any real help, as I am useless with computers, but it might prepare the way for the experts to answer your problem.  Also, I installed my copy of XP(2) on my Mac.....being a lot cheaper, was used to it, & my local computer shop still not being happy with the Vista bugs; however, I assume the main layout will be very similar.  And forgive any suggestion of "Teaching Granny to suck eggs".

So.....

1).   Have you downloaded the Epson Drivers for the Mac & can you print Mac programs (when I downloaded, I forgot to install & spent hours wondering why there was a problem!!).

2).  In Control Panel>Printers & Faxes, is there an icon for the Epson or only the "install new printer" - clicking which will conjure up the Wonderful Wizard to set things going.  Did you do this, but with no success?

3).  If the Epson icon is there, then have you tried the Help & Support Centre>Fixing a Problem>
If you reached this stage, what results were obtained - everything ok (even if it was not), or did the computer just say "tough luck, cannot solve the problem?

If you reached this stage, then it will be a case for the resident experts at Templot Forums (bless their hearts).

Regards,

Raymond.

posted: 7 Apr 2008 14:30

Simon Dunkley

Oakham - United Kingdom

Raymond Gibson wrote:
Hi Simon,

1).   Have you downloaded the Epson Drivers for the Mac & can you print Mac programs (when I downloaded, I forgot to install & spent hours wondering why there was a problem!!).

2).  In Control Panel>Printers & Faxes, is there an icon for the Epson or only the "install new printer" - clicking which will conjure up the Wonderful Wizard to set things going.  Did you do this, but with no success?

3).  If the Epson icon is there, then have you tried the Help & Support Centre>Fixing a Problem>
If you reached this stage, what results were obtained - everything ok (even if it was not), or did the computer just say "tough luck, cannot solve the problem?

Hi raymond, I did step 1, but step 2 seems problematic: I am not sure which printer port to look for, for a start, as Vista is runnign within Parallels, and does not know there is a printer on the USB port - or indeed that the USB port exists, as far as I can tell.
Also, Templot cannot pick up the WPS in-house driver which comes with Vista.

Simon

posted: 7 Apr 2008 16:30

Raymond Gibson

Hi Simon,

Sorry my suggestions did not work - this is definitely one for the computer savvy members of Templot Club.  As mentioned, I used my old XP which (like you with Parallels) runs within VMFusion & operates an Epson C64; apart from my stupid gaffe in the beginning, luck held & there were no problems.

My new Mac is great but anyone else sensible enough to convert needs to be aware that there are going to be difficulties.  In my case, the Drawing Tablet just will not be accepted/not work, whilst the Visioneer Scanner (rather similar to your own problem) "Cannot be detected. Please ensure the device is turned on & connected to the computer", even though its icon shows on the Control panel (not helped by Windows seemingly looking for outdated software even though a more up-to-date version is installed!!).

Just for information, if you are not already aware of them: apart from Apple's official site,

http://www.apple.com/support

(which I find very complex & confusing), there are two others as yet untried:-

http://discussions.info.apple.com &

http://www.macfixit.com (sadly, the latter charges for the good stuff).

I hope that someone can come up with the answer for you,

All the Best,

Raymond.

posted: 8 Apr 2008 12:17

Raymond Gibson

Simon,

Just a PS, but did not think of it until I went to the Apple site with my problem & was redirected because it related to VMFusion & was not a Mac-associated one (obvious when one thinks about it - but this is a strenuous exercise to be avoided as much as possible!).

Therefore, Parallels must also have a forum or discussion site so a request there might produce a result?  Seems about a 72% chance of success with these places.

Raymond.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > OT-Mac Computers
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020