click image to open Templot Club in a new tab
Templot club top logo
looking for Templot? - (free)

you are not logged in  - Login | Join

receive all messages by email: info

Recent Topics
Front Page  Search  Image Gallery  Gallery Upload  My Account  Members  Help  
make a donation  
please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors Templot Companion - User Guide
            messages archive on Yahoo
page trail:  Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > New to Templot - am I on the right lines?
Templot web site

New to Templot - am I on the right lines?
  Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page      
 Start new topic   Reply blank   Printer friendly 
  Rate this topic  
AuthorMessage
 Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
1st message | this message only posted: 27 Apr 2016 20:06
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank 
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hello,
I've put a couple of small O gauge layouts together in recent years, one using Peco track and points, the other using Peco track and Marcway ready-to-use point work. I'm now about to start on my big long term layout and have decided to take the plunge and have a go at hand-building all the scenic trackwork. Now this is something I've never done before, so I'm hoping somebody may be able to help and give me some guidance.

I've used Templot to draw out the track plan and make sure everything works, I'm lucky in having a large area to use, fortunately. But before I start spending time on the detailed aspects and actual building, would anyone be prepared to look over the Templot file for me and check for any major mistakes I may have missed?

Its things like: will signals fit between adjacent tracks, and whether coaches may catch on curves etc.. There are a few places where I have used diamond crossovers to represent double or single slips (or simply crossed straight tracks to represent crossings) because I'm not sure how to achieve slips, as yet.

Any help and constructive comments would be welcomed.

Rich

Edit: Added Templot File

Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
2nd message | this message only posted: 27 Apr 2016 20:58
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Please do not send requests for help direct to me via email or PM.

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Hello Rich,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

You have some close-spaced sharp curves there for a main-line layout in 0 gauge. For example the inner curve here is under 4ft-6in radius.

Templot has a dummy vehicle tool for checking clearances, and unfortunately as you can see you have some significant conflicts on these curves:

It does depend on the actual size of your rolling stock of course. Short 4-wheel coaches may clear on these curves, but bogie stock would need to be very narrow to clear.

I notice also that you are using the traditional GOG-F track standard. Most track builders in 7mm scale have abandoned this nowadays in favour of the 0-MF standard (31.5mm gauge, 1.5mm flangeways). This gives much improved running through pointwork with modern wheels such as those supplied by Slaters, while still accepting older wheels without problems. See for example:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=1811&forum_id=6

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=1394&forum_id=1

and lots of discussion on RMweb about 0-MF.

regards,

Martin.

3rd message | this message only posted: 27 Apr 2016 22:27
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin,
Many thanks for your response, and for the welcome. Yes that was what I was afraid of. I'd used the make double-track option within the software to create the curves, and just assumed that it would be ok - but didn't want to rely on assumption! Can you tell me how I can get into the dummy vehicle simulator?

To be honest, I went for GOG-F as I thought being Gauge O Guild that was the standard, its only recently when reading up on track making and the like that I discovered 0-MF. I think its about time to start with a blank and redo it!

Does the make double track option within the software, when used on straight track, adhere to the 6ft rule? I'm conscious that there are semaphore signals to go in between adjacent lines in places and want to make sure the clearances are there for those, but again, I'm not sure how to do that, or the measurements that should be worked to?

Cheers
Rich

4th message | this message only posted: 28 Apr 2016 01:07
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
RK wrote: Does the make double track option within the software, when used on straight track, adhere to the 6ft rule? I'm conscious that there are semaphore signals to go in between adjacent lines in places and want to make sure the clearances are there for those, but again, I'm not sure how to do that, or the measurements that should be worked to?Hi Rich,

The track spacing dimensions are template-specific. Each template has its own settings, according to the requirements of its position on the track plan. For example inside an engine shed you would expect the tracks to be more widely spaced than for a straight double-track running line.

Which means that normally before using the make double-track or the make crossover functions you should always set the required track centres dimension for the control template. Or at least check it. Click the tools > adjacent track centres... menu item:

(In the next program update I will be adding a note of the current settings directly in the menu for convenience -- shown boxed red above. But it's not there yet. The current settings are always shown on the information dialog, but it's quite quick just to click the menu item above regardless.)

There are separate settings for the turnout side (TS) and main side (MS) of the track, as in prototype practice. (6ft and 10ft way, i.e. 11ft-2in and 15ft-2in centres). However the default settings in Templot use the same dimensions for both in keeping with traditional model railway practice for space saving. Knowledgeable users re-set them differently as required.

The switch-on defaults vary with the different gauge settings.

The "finescale" gauges such as EM, 0-MF, etc., default to the prototype minimum 11ft-2in centres. For 4mm scale that is 44.67mm centres. For 7mm scale that is 78.17mm centres.

The older gauges default to the established or recommended spacings. For example for 00-BF that is 50mm centres, for GOG-F it is the Guild-recommended 80mm centres.

But for sharply curved track the spacing needs to be increased to provide clearance for vehicle overhangs. For this purpose the adjacent track centres settings can be adjusted by mouse action, using the dummy vehicle tool to check the clearance. Here is a video showing that being done. Sorry it is in fuzzy MP4 format, remaking it in FBR format is on my to-do list:

https://flashbackconnect.com/Movie.aspx?id=r6BdZWxz5kk5ye1ek-P-Ag2

You can see that I determined that a track spacing of 46.3mm centres would be suitable for this EM track at this radius, instead of the usual 6ft way (44.67mm centres). I could then have gone on to do tools > make double-track TS if I wished.

For more about using the dummy vehicle tool, see:

http://templot.com/companion/index.html?dummy_vehicle_tool.htm

I'm sorry the screenshots on that page are a little out-of-date, I find it impossible to keep the help notes up to date as I develop the program.

Obstructions between the tracks such as signal posts can be represented using the background shapes functions, or sketchboard items. You can then check the clearance from the dummy vehicle (as for the signal box on the above page).

regards,

Martin.

5th message | this message only posted: 28 Apr 2016 11:01
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hello Martin,
Many thanks. I thought I'd got a reasonable grip on Templot, but that reply makes me see I'm now where close!!! I'll go through a redesign of the layout into 0-MF and deal with the close curves and repost it, if that's ok. Let's hope I don't have too many queries along the way!!

Thanks again
Rich

6th message | this message only posted: 1 May 2016 11:48
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin,
Thanks for your advice. I've started to redraw the trackplan in 0-MF taking into account the bigger clearance for curves.

A couple of queries, if you dont mind, before i spend time putting the entire drawing together....

a) would you say I have solved the conflicts with spacing on the attached file?

b) Is there any process for going between the standard distance on double straight track and the amended difference on curves?

c) Could you point me in the right direction towards a tutorial or instructions for creating the crossover on the attached file, given that both lines are curving in opposite directions?  Its on the left hand side of the track diagram.

Cheers
Rich

7th message | this message only posted: 1 May 2016 13:24
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

RK wrote: c) Could you point me in the right direction towards a tutorial or instructions for creating the diamond-crossing on the attached file, given that both lines are curving in opposite directions? It's on the left hand side of the track diagram.Hi Rich,

That's the easy one. Starting from your posted file, click on the background template and then peg/align tools > make diamond-crossing at intersection menu item.

In this particular case Templot finds the wrong intersection first. Click the try other intersection option.

Then afterwards use F4 mouse action to extend the template into the gap.

As you can see, Templot doesn't do everything: :)

You now need to shorten the original background template from under the diamond. And because the diamond is so short, there is quite a bit of timber shoving needed to tidy it up. For which ideally you would have a drawing for your chosen prototype. Short-angle diamonds vary a lot. But don't bother with timber shoving until you know you have your finalised track plan, otherwise it is wasted work if you make changes. 

Note that in your file you also need to reset geometry > centre-line options > main road (normal) before going much further. :)

I will answer your other questions when I have had a bit more time to look at them.

regards,

Martin.

8th message | this message only posted: 1 May 2016 13:59
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin
Many thanks for that and for taking the time. Much appreciated. I need to go and read up on timber shoving!!

Cheers
Rich

9th message | this message only posted: 1 May 2016 14:05
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

RK wrote: Many thanks for that and for taking the time. Much appreciated. I need to go and read up on timber shoving!!Hi Rich,

By all means practice some timber shoving, but there is no need to bother with it until you know you have your finalised track plan. Otherwise it is wasted work if you make design changes afterwards. Timber shoving can get a bit tedious at times. :)

regards,

Martin.

10th message | this message only posted: 1 May 2016 18:42
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

RK wrote: a) would you say I have solved the conflicts with spacing on the attached file?Hi Rich,

Yes, but.. :)

You have got in a bit of a muddle by not resetting the centre line after using the adjustments to find a clearance spacing. Always do this before creating the double track. The dummy vehicle is always on the centre-line location, so if that's not in the centre of the track it can get confusing:

I will add an option to globally reset this on all background templates in one go.

The widest required clearance is on the smallest radius, so it makes sense to use that for measuring. I think you were rather overdoing it, a spacing of 92mm centres seems enough to give a clearance envelope around passing vehicles:

On the prototype 6ft and 10ft ways are alternated on pairs of multiple tracks. This is shown well on the cover of this book:

Although not essential on a model, it looks more prototypical to do the same, and allows space for signal posts, etc. So adding the same 4ft difference (28mm) to 92mm gives 120mm.

So for these tracks I set the TS spacing at 92mm and the MS spacing at 120mm:

A slightly smaller spacing than 92mm would be possible on the larger radius tracks, but it's more practical to keep them the same to avoid errors in construction and tracklaying.

The .box file for this is attached below. If you adopt it you will need to realign the pointwork, but it's all good practice in Templot. :)

But you might want to wait for my next reply, because the best way to reduce the centres into straight track is to use transition curves.

p.s. a quick way to see which side is TS and MS on plain track is to put the timber numbering on: trackpad > trackpad background options > trackpad background templates detail... menu item. The numbers are always on the MS side.

regards,

Martin.

11th message | this message only posted: 2 May 2016 08:58
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Thanks Martin,
I see what you mean about being more prototypical. Yes I'd misunderstood entirely. Thanks for taking the time to do that. I shall await your next message as suggested.

Richard

12th message | this message only posted: 2 May 2016 12:49
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hi Richard,

You didn't identify the purpose of these tracks. If the middle tracks are the up and down running lines, with slow lines or loops each side of them, the more usual arrangement would be 10ft way - 6ft way - 10ft way.  i.e. in this case 120mm, 92mm, 120mm centres. But that obviously takes up more space than having only one central 120mm spacing, so for this reply I will continue with that.

RK wrote:b) Is there any process for going between the standard distance on double straight track and the amended difference on curves?The usual way to do this is with transition curves, using the make transition function on each track separately. In other circumstances the slew functions can be used to increase or reduce the track centres spacing.

More about transition curves and slewing here:

http://templot.com/martweb/gs_geometry.htm#transition

http://templot.com/martweb/gs_geometry.htm#slewing

(those pages are 15 years old, but still mostly relevant)

In this case the first thing to do is set up some dummy templates at the required new spacing:

These are at the standard spacing for straight track of 78.17mm, 106.17mm, 78.17mm (6ft and 10ft way). The .box file for this is attached below.

The length of these dummy templates doesn't matter, nor their vertical position on the screen. However, if you shift them horizontally to the right of the positions in the file, it may not be mathematically possible to create some or all of the transition curves. You can if you wish move them to the left a little, which will have the effect of increasing the length of the transition zones.

Now we need to use the make transition function to link each one to the curved track. After which the dummy template can be deleted. More about that function here:

http://templot.com/martweb/info_files/make_trans.htm

(Another very old page.)

I have made you a quick bit of video showing that here:

https://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=udruXlLetMW8LAFfQcoNdQ2

Sorry it's so brief and poor image quality. I'm making some changes to automated boundary adjustments in the next program update, so I don't want to spend time making a video which will quickly become out of date.

Using the .box file below you can try following the video, and this should be the result:

More next time.

regards,

Martin.

13th message | this message only posted: 2 May 2016 13:19
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hi Richard,

Assuming you got that far, the next thing is to insert your junction pointwork into the plain track templates. To preserve your existing alignments that requires the pointwork to be partially within the transition zones. That's not something the prototype would ever do, but in fitting a railway into a small space, needs must.

I have gone ahead and made a trial stab at this. I doubt you will want to use this as-is, but it will give you the idea. I changed your B-6 turnouts to mostly curviform B-7s for easier radii and better flow of the curves:

It could be improved by moving the track through the diamond over to the left without its reverse curve, but that was not how you had it, and you may prefer the snaking effect of stock on the reverse curve.

No timber shoving has been done -- that's over to you. There is lots needed. :)

The .box file is below.

regards,

Martin.

14th message | this message only posted: 2 May 2016 14:07
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote:
Hi Richard,
You didn't identify the purpose of these tracks. If the middle tracks are the up and down running lines, with slow lines or loops each side of them, the more usual arrangement would be 10ft way - 6ft way - 10ft way.  i.e. in this case 120mm, 92mm, 120mm centres. But that obviously takes up more space than having only one central 120mm spacing, so for this reply I will continue with that.

Martin,
I really can't thank you enough for all your help with this. Very generous. I put admit I got a bit lost trying to take various things in with the instruction pages, but those couple of posts make sense!

I'll take a look and a try - it may be later in the week now, as work will get in the way from later today for a couple of days!

For reference, the lines on the left (i.e. those that end on straight track) are the Up and Down Main ( and will disappear into a lower level fiddle yard at the top end of the diagram ) while those two on the right (which finish with the point work) form the single track access into the loco depot. So as you look across the diagram, as in your screen shots above:-

Up Main
Down Main
Up Relief
Down Depot

Hence, having the single 10ft gap would to my way of thinking, be a logical prototypical layout.

Cheers
Rich

15th message | this message only posted: 2 May 2016 14:12
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote:

I have made you a quick bit of video showing that here:

https://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=udruXlLetMW8LAFfQcoNdQ2

Sorry it's so brief and poor image quality. I'm making some changes to automated boundary adjustments in the next program update, so I don't want to spend time making a video which will quickly become out of date.

Martin,
Please don't apologise! You've been incredibly helpful and I can totally understand what your doing and achieving. Through watching that I've learnt something else new!

Rich

16th message | this message only posted: 2 May 2016 16:40
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hi Richard,

Here's a variant to consider. I straightened out the road across the diamond, which looks a bit more prototypical. On the other hand you lose the effect of stock snaking through a reverse curve.

The middle turnout is B-5.5 curviform. The long straight turnout is C-10 regular.

.box file below.

regards,

Martin.

17th message | this message only posted: 2 May 2016 18:37
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,
Yes, I must admit, that looks a lot better. I must remember to change that top point to a diamond crossing, or else the Up Relief leads onto the Down Main! I'm going to try and have a look at some of these bits later tonight.

I see you've done one thing I thought about, but couldn't get to work, changing that bottom right point for a 'Y'! Thats was my original thought! The lines look far smoother now for freights to negotiate.

Thanks again

Rich

18th message | this message only posted: 2 May 2016 23:41
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

RK wrote:I must remember to change that top point to a diamond crossingHi Rich,

Oh I see. In that case I wouldn't recommend staying with the 1:10 angle. To be correct it would need to be done as a switch-diamond (movable K-crossings), which is probably not very prototypical for access to a relief line.

On the other hand in 0-MF you probably don't want to go flatter than about 1:7 for fixed K-crossings to avoid mis-tracking of wheels.

So here is an alternative design with the ladder crossover at 1:7. This also saves a bit of space at the top compared with a ladder at 1:10.

.box file below.

And in my next reply a further mod to save a bit more space.

regards,

Martin.

19th message | this message only posted: 2 May 2016 23:51
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hi Rich,

Here is further option with the inner diamond-crossing integrated as a half-scissors (still at 1:7). This saves a little more space at the top of the main lines. And makes an impressive bit of track construction.  :)

.box file below.

No timber shoving done in any of these. Over to you if you decide to use them. :)

regards,

Martin.

20th message | this message only posted: 3 May 2016 00:23
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote:
Over to you if you decide to use them. :)

If I decide! There's no question! Martin thank you (I always seem to be saying that on here!) the end result in far better and smoother than I could ever have come up with. I'm pleased I didn't get to spend time on it tonight or else I'd be starting again!!

I'll use that latest version as the base and see if I can put the point work together at the other end of the curve!

Looking forward more and more to actually building this! Always moved away from building trackwork, but seeing what you have done here actually makes me want to get on and make it!

Thanks again.

Rich

21st message | this message only posted: 5 May 2016 01:13
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin et all,
Thought i'd just post a quick update.  I decided to put the depot tracklayout in next.  As this is going to be quite a large layout, the depot will be built first, and the aim is to make it removable so that it can be displayed outside for photography and the like.

Hence i've used Martin's file as the base template and added the depot layout.  Ideally I would have liked a 12-20inch straight between the first point on the layout and the first point on the depot, to allow space for an exit signal and the like, but space is at a premium so that is one of the concessions.  When the depot is on its own I want to be able to portray a busy depot, so standing area has a higher priority.

All looks good to me - i just need to learn how to change the two overlaid points into a 3-way, but digging the instructions out on how to do that is a job for the weekend!

As ever, all comments are welcome.

Rich

22nd message | this message only posted: 5 May 2016 12:05
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Had some time this morning, so started working out the pointwork at the other end of the curves.  All appears to look good to me ... any comments, suggestions or critisms from anyone?

Rich

23rd message | this message only posted: 5 May 2016 12:28
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

RK wrote: Had some time this morning, so started working out the pointwork at the other end of the curves.  All appears to look good to me ... any comments, suggestions or critisms from anyone?Hi Rich,

This V-crossing cannot be checked because there is no room for the check rail.

The design of scissors crossovers needs great care to ensure full checking of all crossings.

Sorry this is brief, just home for some lunch in between election-day duties. :)

Martin.

24th message | this message only posted: 5 May 2016 12:42
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

p.s. An interesting post on the merits of 0-MF here today:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/110762-a-question-of-gauge/page-3#entry2296053

Martin.

25th message | this message only posted: 5 May 2016 22:25
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote:

This V-crossing cannot be checked because there is no room for the check rail.

The design of scissors crossovers needs great care to ensure full checking of all crossings.

Hi Martin,
Ah never thought about the check rails. I'll go back and check those tomorrow.

Thanks
Rich

26th message | this message only posted: 8 May 2016 15:25
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,
I've been playing around with this, but keep hitting problems. Im assuming its a case of positioning the points far enough back to allow the check rails to work fine - or am I missing something?

Cheers
Rich

27th message | this message only posted: 9 May 2016 16:49
Tony W
North Notts., United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Rich.
Where scissors crossovers are concerned the track spacing will also need to be taken into consideration (and adjusted) to allow the nose of the centre crossings acute of the diamond to be supported correctly on a timber as well as the longitudinal position of the turnouts. Only certain combinations will work and a degree of trial and error is needed to arrive at a workable solution. You would probably be better to practice on a straight scissors first to understand the effects of the separate factors involved.
Regards
Tony W.

28th message | this message only posted: 9 May 2016 17:51
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hi Rich,

Scissors crossovers are not straightforward, as Tony explained. There are two types. In a type 1 scissors, the V-crossings for the diamond are in the turnout curves. In a type 2 scissors, the V-crossings for the diamond are in extended crossing entry-straights on the turnouts. This has the result that all the crossings in the diamond have the same angle, making it easier to construct. The disadvantage on a curved scissors is that this reduces the turnout radius, requiring a longer turnout to compensate.

In finding space for check rails, the most significant factor is the track spacing. Unfortunately you are not able to do much about that in the available space, with the need for tight radii and a running clearance.

You may find that it helps to offset the diamond slightly towards one side. It is even possible to produce a hybrid scissors / outside slip arrangement like this:

which allows a bit more scope in moving things about.

Having said all that, the easiest solution is of course two separate crossovers, rather than a scissors.

I will see what I can suggest.

regards,

Martin.

29th message | this message only posted: 10 May 2016 01:13
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin/Tony,
As ever thanks for your replies. I've read them several times and I think I'm starting to understand the process a little. I'm going to see if I can change the track layout the to be more of a single slip than scissor crossovers, as I think that would be easiest, not just for drawing but for also for building.

Cheers
Rich

30th message | this message only posted: 10 May 2016 01:57
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

RK wrote:I'm going to see if I can change the track layout the to be more of a single slip than scissor crossovers, as I think that would be easiest, not just for drawing but for also for building.Hi Rich,

I was just looking at your plan when you posted this. There were some misalignments in your ladder track, so I was looking to recreate the diamonds:

But if you are thinking of changing the track layout I will hold fire.

Are there any board joints to be avoided in positioning the turnouts?

regards,

Martin.

31st message | this message only posted: 10 May 2016 08:18
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,
Thanks. What I'm thinking is to move the Up Main to Up Relief link up a little and have it feed into the Down Goods to remove that scissor. In essence the order at the top of that screen shot is Down Goods, Down Main, Up Main, Yard Transfer, Yard Access. On the left, working down is Down Depot, Up Relief, Down Main, Up Main and the straight at the bottom is the yard headshunt that feeds directly off the Yard Transfer line.

The Down Depot and Up Relief both merge into the Down Goods with both being connected to the Yard Access through that ladder track. My thought is to push the Up Main to Up Relief link back a little so it connects to the Down Goods instead, with the Down Depot to Down Goods point being above the point leading to the Up Main if that all makes sense. That way it gets rid of one point from the scissor. Then working across the ladder it would be single slip (up relief onto ladder) diamond crossing, diamond crossing, double slip.

Do you think that would work any better? There are no board joints as these baseboards will be built around the plan to avoid that issue.

Rich

32nd message | this message only posted: 10 May 2016 18:28
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hi Rich,

I think I need a diagram to follow that. :?

In the meantime it was wet today so I have pushed ahead with what I started. This is a first result:

I think all the crossings can be checked -- a couple are a bit tight but doable. The diamond at A is 1:9 and will need to be a switch diamond. The diamond at B is 1:8 and I would recommend doing that as a switch diamond too. The other diamonds are shorter and can be fixed K-crossings.

I hope you enjoy building track. :)

I will wait for your comments before doing any more on it. Which if any of the diamonds will be slips?

regards,

Martin.

33rd message | this message only posted: 10 May 2016 18:56
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,
Haha! Oops, sorry if I confused you! You've actually ended up exactly as I was trying to describe! With one minor difference around diamond B, which looking at what you've done I've realise my proposal couldn't possibly have worked anyway - reminder to myself, don't work things out in my head!!

The top diamond on the right hand side (like the 2 o'clock position from your A marker) is the only slip, in this case a single slip going bottom left to top (le like your B to A does) as we're looking at these diagrams, although I'm now wondering whether its big enough to work?

I'm really looking forward to getting down and building all this - I'm sure its gone to be a real experience! Although my already receding hairline may have completely gone by the time i've finished it!!! Im just hoping I'm not being too adventurous.

I know what you mean by a switch diamond ... well i think i do - you mean where the blades that form the diamond move like on turnouts, to set the route? From a construction point of view do these have to be be constructed in any specific way?

Im so glad that I asked for help and guidance before taking the next step! Honestly Martin, many thanks for all you help and time.

Rich

34th message | this message only posted: 10 May 2016 19:14
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

RK wrote:The top diamond on the right hand side (like the 2 o'clock position from your A marker) is the only slip, in this case a single slip going bottom left to topHi Rich,

That diamond is only 1:3.9, so it will need to be an outside slip. Fortunately I think there is room, although the turnout above it will need to move further north to make space. I will see what can be fitted in.

I know what you mean by a switch diamond ... well i think i do - you mean where the blades that form the diamond move like on turnouts, to set the route? From a construction point of view do these have to be be constructed in any specific way? That's right. In fact they are a lot easier to build, being little more than two short turnouts toe-to-toe. The only downside being the need for two extra point motors, fitted very close together. So some thought needed on the baseboard framing in that area.

regards,

Martin.

35th message | this message only posted: 12 May 2016 10:19
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hi Rich,

I managed to fit in an outside slip road, but it is down to 49" radius which is getting towards the sensible bottom limit for main line 0 gauge:

An outside slip involves far more partial templates than an inside slip, because it requires two additional V-crossings. I thought you may like to see how it is made up (.box file below).

If you hold down the SHIFT key, or put the CAPS LOCK on, and then run the mouse over the template labels, each partial template will highlight (and you can click the label to see its menu).

regards,

Martin.

36th message | this message only posted: 12 May 2016 14:05
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,
Thanks. I think that should be ok, as it will only be low speed and primarily only locos heading back to shed, or coming off shed onto trains.

I'm off to down load and investigate this outside slip box! Then see if I can get the sidings sorted out. At least this is the last of the complicated pointwork! I think the rest is all simple in comparison!

Rich

37th message | this message only posted: 15 May 2016 22:51
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hi Rich,

Sorry about the delay in coming back on this. Life has been getting in the way.

I will finish the partial templates for the half-scissors and post the .box file in a day or two.

regards,

Martin.

38th message | this message only posted: 17 May 2016 11:35
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin
No problem at all I'm very grateful for your help. I'm somewhat caught up at the moment, having ended up in hospital yesterday. Nothing too serious, but the bed rest is going to keep me away from modeling for a few days. Thank god for iPads!

Rich

39th message | this message only posted: 30 May 2016 23:38
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,
Hope all is well. Im back onto things now, so am back working on the track plan. Before i go too far, i just wondered if you'd been able to sort the outside slip out on those sidings? No problem if not, I'm grateful for the help and assistance you've given so far.

Rich

40th message | this message only posted: 31 May 2016 09:26
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hi Rich,

I've completed the actual design, I just need to split out the partial templates and adjust the checking:

However, it is a nice sunny day here, so I don't want to spend it on the computer. I will see if I can get it finished tonight.

regards,

Martin.

This is topic ID = 2872     Page created at 15:08 (local time) Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
You can type a quick reply to this topic here.

Click in the box to begin.

But to reply to an individual message, or to include images, attachments and formatted text, use the reply buttons on each message above.

To start a new topic in this forum, click the Start new topic button below.
To start a new topic in a different forum, click the Forum Jump drop-down list below.

Start new topic 

click to jump to a different forum:     Back to top of page

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > New to Templot - am I on the right lines?
about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Old Templot Companion Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines only

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2018