click here for a list of all existing Templot documentation
Important Privacy Information cookie information pre-print options:    

click image to open Templot Club in a new tab
Templot club top logo
looking for Templot? - (free)

you are not logged in  - Login | Join

receive all messages by email: info

Recent Topics
Front Page  Search  Image Gallery  Gallery Upload  My Account  Members  Open Source  TemplotMEC  Help  
make a donation  
please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors Templot Companion - User Guide
            messages archive on Yahoo
page trail:  Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > New to Templot - am I on the right lines?
Templot web site

New to Templot - am I on the right lines?
  Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page      
 Start new topic   Reply blank   Printer friendly 
  Rate this topic  
AuthorMessage
 Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
41st message | this message only posted: 1 Jun 2016 11:37
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank 
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,
Many thanks again for all your help. No, i totally agree, when the sun is shining get away from the computer and enjoy it!! There's no rush, and I really do appreciate your help. I'd never have got things so smooth and sorted without your input - thank you.

Rich

Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
42nd message | this message only posted: 4 Jun 2016 20:16
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Please do not send requests for help direct to me via email or PM.

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Hi Rich,

Here is your .box file attached below. I have finished the partial templates and adjusted the check rails, but note that no timber shoving has been done. Over to you for that. :)

The diamond-crossing at A is 1:9 angle, so it will need to be a switch-diamond as shown.

The check rail end at B needs care. Make it as long as possible with a short filed flare. The back corner may need a bit of flaring too, if you have some coarser wheels.

.box file below. I hope I've got the track layout right. :)  Let me know if not.

regards,

Martin.

43rd message | this message only posted: 5 Jun 2016 00:27
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,
Thank you ever so much. That is far better than I could have achieved on my own, and yes the track layout looks spot on at that bit to me. I'll add the sidings and main lines at the top end over the next few days.

I've noted your comments about A and B. When it comes to building this, is your new that the long sweep from the left hand inner, across all the lines to the right hand outer track should be built as one, individual sections (i.e. scissor, outer slip, diamond, outer slip) or larger sections?

Rich

44th message | this message only posted: 5 Jun 2016 16:14
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
RK wrote:I've noted your comments about A and B. When it comes to building this, is your view that the long sweep from the left hand inner, across all the lines to the right hand outer track should be built as one, individual sections (i.e. scissor, outer slip, diamond, outer slip) or larger sections?Hold on Rich. There isn't a second outer slip. There isn't a switch anywhere within this entire red area:

It consists entirely of diamond-crossings, there isn't any means for trains to change from one track to another. If that's not what you wanted, the time to change it is now. (It does however require 2 point motors for the switch-diamond.)

As for building it you will get a lot of conflicting advice. Generally I think it is much better to build it in sections on a workboard on the bench. This allows you to turn it round to get at both sides, lift it up to eye along the alignments, and work comfortably in good light. Others like to build in one piece on the baseboard. It's a long way to stretch in 0 gauge, and difficult to make precise adjustments at arm's length.

You don't necessarily need to remove it from the workboard to transfer it to the baseboard. If you use say 6mm plywood and cork, you can transfer that onto the baseboard and screw it down ready-built in one piece.

regards,

Martin.

45th message | this message only posted: 6 Jun 2016 00:53
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote:
It consists entirely of diamond-crossings, there isn't any means for trains to change from one track to another. If that's not what you wanted, the time to change it is now.

Hi Martin,
Sorry thats my bad description. What you have there is almost exactly the plan, the one exception, which i suspect is going to cause a major issue to implement because of space, was I'd hoped to make the diamond on the top end of the scissor a single slip to allow departures from the yard - as per the black line on the graphic. But I don't think there is room to allow that, so probably the best thing to do will be to make the 'A' diamond a single slip so that becomes the exit road instead.

I think building it in two or three sections makes more sense, given your comments - and i bow to your superior knowledge!

Rich

2_051054_590000000.png

46th message | this message only posted: 6 Jun 2016 02:22
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hi Rich,

I've managed to fit in a slip road between X and Y. Is that what you wanted?

The slip switch at Y will have to be 1:24 ("A" size) because of the limited space, but in view of the contraflexure that will be ok. The slip road needed a bit of transition curve in it, but it's all good fun. :)

If you are quite sure this is what you want I will post the .box file.

regards,

Martin.

47th message | this message only posted: 6 Jun 2016 23:27
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,
I think you should change your forum name to the Master or the Wizard! Thats magic, thank you! Absolutely spot on.

Rich

48th message | this message only posted: 7 Jun 2016 17:54
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hi Rich,

Here is the .box file for that (no timber shoving done).

Let me know if anything doesn't look right when you print it out.

regards,

Martin.

49th message | this message only posted: 8 Jun 2016 01:33
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Thanks Martin,
Will do! Seriously, many thanks.

Rich

50th message | this message only posted: 26 Nov 2016 16:24
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,
Hope all is well with you. Im finally back on with things with the larger layout. A smaller depot layout to gain some experience building points and that has taken precedence recently, but I'm keen to start pushing on with things now.

Thank you again for all your help during the summer in sorting this track plan out for me.

Can I ask, you posted several, what I would term, simpler graphics showing the track plan with point blades etc (i.e. as per four posts above this) how can I screenshot or export from Templot in that style?

Thanks
Richard

51st message | this message only posted: 26 Nov 2016 18:21
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

RK wrote:Can I ask, you posted several, what I would term, simpler graphics showing the track plan with point blades etc (i.e. as per four posts above this) how can I screenshot or export from Templot in that style?Hi Richard,

Glad to hear you are back on the layout.

That is an exported image file, or done via the sketchboard, as you prefer. The sketchboard allows you to add additional marks, diagrams, arrows, text, etc.

1. output > output drawing options > element options... menu item.

2. untick timbering, and anything else you don't want, perhaps track centre-lines.

(If you want more control over the options you could use the generator settings instead, and then rebuild the background templates. For example you might want the timber outlines but not timber centre-lines.)

A. For an exported image file:

3. output > export a file... menu item.

4. click the image boundary: > draw new rectangle button.

5. click and drag a rectangle over your track plan to select the required area.

6. click export image: > create image file... button.

7. Templot will suggest you change to diagram mode. Don't. Click the green bar.

8. and again.

9. go to 12. below.

B. For doing it via the sketchboard:

3. click the sketchboard button (top left).

4. click the green bar.

5. click the trackplan tab on the sketchboard control panel.

6. untick the in diagram mode box.

7. click the draw new rectangle on trackpad button.

8. click and drag a rectangle over your track plan to select the required area.

9. go to the sketchboard again.

10. add whatever additional markings you want.

11. on the sketchboard menus, click file > export image file... menu item.

12. set the required name for the file, or accept the suggested name, and click Save.

13. it may take a moment to create the file, after which click view image in Templot.

14. you should then be seeing something like this:

The image is likely to be too large to upload directly to the Image Gallery here.

15. Click options > copy image menu item.

You can then paste it into your favourite image editor program, resize it down to a more suitable size, and do whatever else you want.

regards,

Martin.

52nd message | this message only posted: 26 Nov 2016 18:57
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin,
That's great, many thanks. Nice to be back designing in Templot again!

I know the basic guidelines for curves are to keep them as wide as possible, but is there a minimum radius that people would work as an absolute minimum when dealing with long wheelbase steam locos?

Rich

53rd message | this message only posted: 26 Nov 2016 19:18
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

RK wrote:I know the basic guidelines for curves are to keep them as wide as possible, but is there a minimum radius that people would work as an absolute minimum when dealing with long wheelbase steam locos?Hi Richard,

Everything depends on the loco, the wheels, axle sideplay, etc., and of course any applied gauge-widening in the track.

Most modellers in 0 gauge tend to regard anything below about 1500mm (5ft) as too tight for running lines, but if that's all you have room for...

1250mm (4ft) is probably the sensible bottom limit for curves in 0 gauge.

For 0-MF in Templot the warning comes on below 1750mm (5ft-9in), but of course you can change that to whatever you want.

regards,

Martin.

54th message | this message only posted: 26 Nov 2016 22:46
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Thanks Martin,

You've confirmed my views on what I have been working with.

Cheers
Rich

55th message | this message only posted: 3 Dec 2016 21:27
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Evening all,
I've been back on with trackplan designing for my new 7mm 1960s era loft layout.  I'm very lucky in having an area of 21ft x 11ft, roughly to play with.  I was thinking of a four track section and six or seven road yard, but the more i played with the yard two things hit me, one was the complicated nature of the point work to build, the other was that some of the curves were getting very close to 4' radius, which i didnt want.

Hence, a complete rethink, and the attached plan.  Its over two levels, the fiddle yard (Bottom Level) and the scenic file (Top Level).  I've also attached a sketchboard plan of the top level showing which are single or double slips, etc, as they are just included as diamonds at the moment.

I have a couple of queries, if anyone can take a look?

a) Before I go any further can anyone see any problems initially?

b) The three roads at the top of top level plan are Yard headshunt, Yard Arr/Dep, and Up Goods.  I have been trying to come up with a way of providing a connection from the Yard arr/dep and Up Goods, to the Goods Yard (centre) that will work and be reasonably prototypical, but im struggling?  Any ideas?.  This is only going to be 4 or 6 wheeled steam tanks/diesel and 4 wheel stock, so the sharpness of the current curve should be ok.

c) The pointwork for the goods marshalling sidings (centre right) seems quite spread out, can anyone suggest any way of tightening it up?

all comments/thoughts welcomed.

Rich

56th message | this message only posted: 3 Dec 2016 21:29
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Annotated Sketchboard

57th message | this message only posted: 3 Dec 2016 21:31
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Fiddle Yard Level

58th message | this message only posted: 4 Dec 2016 20:41
John Preston
Lethbridge, Alberta Canada

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hi Rich

Wow, what an ambitious
project.  Your Templot plans fit a 19 by
12 foot space whereas your space is roughly 11 by 21 feet.

Just a couple of
comments regarding the baseboard construction and the challenges it presents.

How much separation
are you planning between the two levels? 
Keep in mind that the baseboard depth for the upper level must give you
sufficient space to reach under to the lower level for maintenance, deal with
derailments etc.  If you plan on a 4%

grade the change in elevation is 4 cm. per meter of track.  This applies as well to the track in the
center of the upper level.  Where do your
grades start and end?

The lower level should
be completed before any baseboards are put in place for the upper level, as it

is almost impossible to install track, wiring etc. after the upper baseboards

are in place.  Further complicating
matters, the incline between levels is seriously in the way of anything that

requires to be done behind it.  How much
wiring etc. will be underneath the upper baseboards and how easy is it to

install and maintain?

Where is the access to
the room?  I presume you come up through
the floor somewhere in the middle. Does this conflict with your plan?  Consider there are places, particularly in
corners that you will nor b able to reach to on the lower level.

Regards

John

59th message | this message only posted: 4 Dec 2016 22:35
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
John Preston wrote: Hi Rich
Wow, what an ambitious project.  Your Templot plans fit a 19 by 12 foot space whereas your space is roughly 11 by 21 feet.

Just a couple of comments regarding the baseboard construction and the challenges it presents.

How much separation are you planning between the two levels?  
Keep in mind that the baseboard depth for the upper level must give you sufficient space to reach under to the lower level for maintenance, deal with derailments etc.  If you plan on a 4% grade the change in elevation is 4 cm. per meter of track.  This applies as well to the track in the center of the upper level.  Where do your grades start and end?

The lower level should be completed before any baseboards are put in place for the upper level, as it is almost impossible to install track, wiring etc. after the upper baseboards are in place.  Further complicating matters, the incline between levels is seriously in the way of anything that requires to be done behind it.  How much wiring etc. will be underneath the upper baseboards and how easy is it to install and maintain?

Where is the access to the room?  I presume you come up through the floor somewhere in the middle. Does this conflict with your plan?  Consider there are places, particularly in corners that you will nor b able to reach to on the lower level.

Regards

John

Hi John,Thanks for the reply and your comments.  I should also state that the subject should have been 7mm Track Plan, but the stupid PC keyboard went wrong, the autocorrect change the spelling and I never noticed!!!  Back on my Mac now, far better! 

Yes, it is a bit ambitious, but to be honest, I've done two or three smaller layouts that I've never finished, because shuttling up and down a small board just didn't hold my interest level.   Back as a kid, I had a large OO gauge layout in the loft with my Dad and that kept my amused for hours, so I'm going back to my roots!  The aim being that is a build, operate and keep principle!

My idea also is that being a 'round-and-round' if wanted, I can just sit and watch the trains go by, or I can shunt in the yard (something else I love) or in the goods warehouse sidings (middle bit) so there is variety.  The layout itself will be DCC operated, for which I've got some big plans for the signalling side too!

Answering your comments in turn, do shout if I'm missing something or you think I'm wrong!  Interesting your comment about the space, I'll have to check that as I specifically drew my boards and running area between the loft beams in Templot before starting.  Im going to have to get the tape measure out again!

In terms of separation, I'm going for six inches between the boards to account for being able to get in, also point servos under the top boards etc.  That should need a grade of around 13ft, and I've got about 16ft, so I think that should be ok.  I've done a few tests with different things and found that the double motors in O gauge locos should be able to handle that ok - also the grades are all in the open, bar for the first/last couple of feet, so I can get at them if needed.

The grades are both on the left hand side of the plan. Looking at the fiddle yard plan, they will start gently, just before the last point (bottom right) leading onto the single track, and end on the scenic plan, on the right hand middle to top, where the single becomes double, being level before the goods warehouse connection comes in.   The other line is the adjacent double track dropping down.  That one will be a little shorter on the grade, which shouldn't be an issue downhill, and uphill, trains will be running so its not like a standing start.  Keeping the inclines together on the left of both plans, also means that with the exception of the loop -> fiddle yard single track which is plain line, there's no wiring or access needed around, underneath or behind the inclines.

The bottom level will be done first, I'm currently planning on copper clad point work for that lot, all powered by servos, with the straight track probably being PECO for quickness as it will be out of sight.  Im also planning on a DCC feed every 12 inches - totally un-necessary for the electrics, but I'm hoping that should a wire come off, each road will have several connections so it shouldn't disrupt running.

Access is through a trap door in the floor, situated bottom left on the plan in the space above the fiddle yard (bottom level) and to the left of the goods warehouse sidings (scenic plan), and that should be fine as I've purposely left the area above clear!

I'm hoping Martin might come up with some superb looking, simple way to access to the goods warehouse sidings (centre on the scenic plan) from the Yard Access/Down Slow lines (very top of the scenic plan) as I'm struggling with that!

Thanks again John, I'm intending on keeping the construction progress online, both through a blog on my own website, and rmWeb on the 7mm modelling forum, so I hope you'll follow along and keep contributing thoughts and ideas!

Cheers
Rich

60th message | this message only posted: 5 Dec 2016 10:12
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Taking another look at the plans last night, I have a suspicion there are a couple of places where coach overhang could cause a problem :(. Thank god for the dummy vehicle option!

So will take a look at that, and the overall size of the plan, tonight hopefully.

Rich

61st message | this message only posted: 6 Dec 2016 13:27
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin et all,
I got a little confused the other day when I posted the new layout design, and put it in the Templot talk section rather than on here. Martin, if you have 10 mins any chance you could take a look and see if there are any obvious cock-ups for me?

No problem if your busy and don't have time.

Rich

62nd message | this message only posted: 8 Dec 2016 20:11
John Preston

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Rich,

I have taken the liberty to put two double slips in the right side of your Scenic plan where your Sketchboard file indicates.

It is, however, not possible to build a double slip on the left of your plan as the V crossings are less than 1 in 6.  The check/guard rails get in the way.

I have, instead, eliminated the crossing and inserted what I hope is a suitable switch.

Take a look and if this works for you, use it.

John

63rd message | this message only posted: 9 Dec 2016 22:12
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi John,
Many thanks - very kind of you. I'm thinking that left hand double slip, might need to be an outer slip instead. I need to have a play!

Cheers
Rich

64th message | this message only posted: 15 Dec 2016 00:47
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Evening all,
Well after discovering the problem of the curves being too close together, I have spent all of this evening redrawing the plan, to try and solve it - together with dealing with a couple of issues I had with the layout. Tomorrow's task is to redraw the storage yard!

Martin - I am struggling to get the diamonds on the top left to all sit and meet right. Is there any chance, if you have a few minutes, you could take a look please? I know its sharp pointwork etc, but it will only be six wheeled shunters and 4-wheeled wagons moving over that at slow speed so I think it will be ok.

John - thanks for adding those double slips in previously. I need to find out how to do those and 3-way points!

Rich

65th message | this message only posted: 16 Dec 2016 08:10
Stephen Freeman
Sandbach, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi,
Just dropped by for a quick look. I think that the problem with the diamonds is that you have made them with curviform vees, which is quite OK of course but the associated curved turnouts are regular. I've altered them according and using snake through peg I think they are now better lined up. There probably is a better (more correct) way to do it though.

I've also tinkered with the turntable down to a single rail.
RK wrote: Evening all,
Well after discovering the problem of the curves being too close together, I have spent all of this evening redrawing the plan, to try and solve it - together with dealing with a couple of issues I had with the layout. Tomorrow's task is to redraw the storage yard!

Martin - I am struggling to get the diamonds on the top left to all sit and meet right. Is there any chance, if you have a few minutes, you could take a look please? I know its sharp pointwork etc, but it will only be six wheeled shunters and 4-wheeled wagons moving over that at slow speed so I think it will be ok.

John - thanks for adding those double slips in previously. I need to find out how to do those and 3-way points!

Rich

66th message | this message only posted: 16 Dec 2016 20:55
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi,
Many thanks for looking at that for me. I've been back and reassessed a few minor areas today, after double checking the measurements of the loft space and needing to make a couple of adjustments. I believe all is now ok.

Martin - I note you havent commented at all. I hope all is well with you and that I havent upset you in anyway? Your feedback (along with that of everyone else is extremely valued.

Im hoping to make a start on building the copper clad storage yard trackwork in early January. I've not done copper-clad before, having kept to wooden sleepers and chairs, so any advice would be welcomed.

Cheers
Rich

67th message | this message only posted: 16 Dec 2016 20:56
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Helps if i attach the two new BOX files doesnt it!

Upper level - scenic.

Still need to learn how to convert diamonds into double slips and set up 3-way points!

Rich

68th message | this message only posted: 16 Dec 2016 20:58
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Lower level - Storage Yard

I am aware the 'Y' point at the very bottom right is currently showns as two overlapping plain tracks I need to change that to a proper Y point.

Rich

69th message | this message only posted: 16 Dec 2016 21:00
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
John Preston wrote: Hi Rich
Wow, what an ambitious project.  Your Templot plans fit a 19 by 12 foot space whereas your space is roughly 11 by 21 feet.
Regards
John

John,
Thanks for flagging that up, I went back up yesterday and remeasured the entire loft.  Templot plan was right (apart from it 18.75 feet long, so a minor adjustment. My 'remembering' of the space was totally wrong!

Rich

70th message | this message only posted: 16 Dec 2016 22:09
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

RK wrote:Martin - I note you haven't commented at all. I hope all is well with you and that I haven't upset you in anyway? Your feedback (along with that of everyone else is extremely valued.Hi Rich,

Thanks for your concern. I'm fine thanks, just a bit busy lately. I'm not upset about anything.

Currently in between everything else I am trying to get a Templot program update finished because it is now over 12 months since the last one. Unfortunately over the months I have created rather a lot of unfinished loose ends.

Generally on here I always try to answer questions about how to use Templot itself.

But for discussions about track and layout design I tend to leave it to others in the first instance. Generally there is no "right" answer and a full appraisal can take a lot of time, including printing out bits of it to look at full size, and staring out of the window for inspiration. :)

Preparing screenshots and writing down all the ifs and buts can take the best part of an evening.

Also it is now several months since I wrote this page, which is clearly crying out for a lot more:

http://templot.com/companion/4_where_do_i_start.html

How did I get into all this? :?

regards,

Martin.

71st message | this message only posted: 17 Dec 2016 01:21
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,
Ah that's fine! As long as I've not offended you, and you're keeping well! Yes can totally understand and agree with your comments.

I'm not sure how you got in it, but on behalf of many Templot users and modellers, can I say we're glad you did! Templot may drive me round the twist at times when I can't understand how to do something ... But it's far better than the alternative!

Keep going :)

Rich

72nd message | this message only posted: 17 Dec 2016 11:22
Judi R
Sutton-on-Sea, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
RK wrote: ... on behalf of many Templot users and modellers, can I say we're glad you did!I agree absolutely! Templot is fun and so satisfying when a tricky bit of design comes together. Now all I have to do is to start building ...

Judi R

73rd message | this message only posted: 18 Dec 2016 20:33
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Spent today tweaking a few section of the track plan, decided it looked awful and came back to the last version posted on here! As there's been no other comments from anyone, I'm assuming those who have looked at it haven't found any cock-ups! With that in mind, Im going to start printing the point templates off next week with a view to starting on them over Christmas.

Martin, I get the concept of timber shoving, and how to do it ... but I haven't come across anything that says how things should look? Ie are 'vees' suspended, or on sleepers, should the ends of check rails be on sleepers? etc.. I'm assuming given your attention to detail that you would have written something down as to how the sleepers should be positioned around the various parts ... could you possibly advise or direct me to where it is?

Rich

74th message | this message only posted: 18 Dec 2016 21:47
Tony W
North Notts., United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Rich.
The track spacing between turnout 25 and the adjacent track is too close on the scenic section and between templates 105 and 108 on the lower level.
For detail of timber positions, take a look at those on any template generated by Templot as these will be correct. The basic rules are that the nose of the crossing must be supported as must the tip of the switch blades. The spacings from those timbers are set at predefined distances for instance a 1:8 crossing has, working away from the switch end, Y X A B C & D chairs spaced at 2' 6" centres, the A chair being under the crossing nose. These cannot be changed without destroying the geometry as each crossing angle has an individually designed set of cast chairs. Switches are similarly predetermined. In between there is much more flexibility, but it can be very difficult to arrange timbering to meet this ideal situation in many situations and a great deal of ingenuity is sometimes required.

Regards
Tony W.

75th message | this message only posted: 18 Dec 2016 21:52
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

RK wrote:Martin, I get the concept of timber shoving, and how to do it ... but I haven't come across anything that says how things should look? Ie are 'vees' suspended, or on sleepers, should the ends of check rails be on sleepers? etc.. I'm assuming given your attention to detail that you would have written something down as to how the sleepers should be positioned around the various parts ... could you possibly advise or direct me to where it is?Hi Rich,

The special chairs (i.e. any other than ordinary chairs) will fit the rails in only one position, so you must have some timber under those positions. For example the "A" chair fits one position only under the crossing nose:

You can change the actual position of the "A" chair relative to the vee nose to match your prototype at real > V-crossing options > customize V-crossing > blunt nose... menu item.

Check rails have special left and right-hand end chairs for the flared ends, but generally check rails can be extended or shortened as necessary so that those chairs come over a timber. If you change from square-on to equalized timbering, Templot moves the check rails accordingly.

I have written a lot in the past, but I'm too tired tonight to find it all, sorry. Here are some links:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_postx.php?post_id=2272

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=2628&forum_id=22#p18087

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=1153&forum_id=6#p6920

regards,

Martin.

76th message | this message only posted: 18 Dec 2016 21:57
Tony W
North Notts., United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Rich.
Also have a look under the TEMPLOT COMPANION heading to the right of the screen under REAL TRACK. There is a lot of useful information there.
Tony.

77th message | this message only posted: 18 Dec 2016 22:00
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Tony W wrote: Hi Rich.
The track spacing between turnout 25 and the adjacent track is too close on the scenic section and between templates 105 and 108 on the lower level.
For detail of timber positions, take a look at those on any template generated by Templot as these will be correct. The basic rules are that the nose of the crossing must be supported as must the tip of the switch blades. The spacings from those timbers are set at predefined distances for instance a 1:8 crossing has, working away from the switch end, Y X A B C & D chairs spaced at 2' 6" centres, the A chair being under the crossing nose. These cannot be changed without destroying the geometry as each crossing angle has an individually designed set of cast chairs. Switches are similarly predetermined. In between there is much more flexibility, but it can be very difficult to arrange timbering to meet this ideal situation in many situations and a great deal of ingenuity is sometimes required.

Regards
Tony W.
Hi Tony,Oh what an idiot, I never actually thought about looking at an existing template! (Hits head against brick wall hard!)   Thanks - also thanks for the comments bout those two points .. I'll go look at those.

Thanks also for the background info, thats useful.

Rich

78th message | this message only posted: 18 Dec 2016 22:03
RK
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote:
I have written a lot in the past, but I'm too tired tonight to find it all, sorry. Here are some links:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_postx.php?post_id=2272

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=2628&forum_id=22#p18087

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=1153&forum_id=6#p6920

regards,

Martin.

Hi Martin,
No problems at all thats fine, thanks for the pointers and links, I've obviously been searching the wrong keywords, but now I know its definitely there, I'll go delve again over the next few days!

Also thanks to Tony for the additional info.

Cheers guys

Rich

79th message | this message only posted: 18 Dec 2016 22:21
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Tony W wrote: Also have a look under the TEMPLOT COMPANION heading to the right of the screen under REAL TRACK. There is a lot of useful information there.Tony, thanks for helping Richard.

Here's the link: http://templot.com/martweb/gs_realtrack.htm

Martin.

80th message | this message only posted: 18 Dec 2016 22:25
John Preston

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Rich,

Again, I have taken the liberty, this time, to superimpose the upper and the lower plans (jpg file attached).  You will notice I have the lower plan in blue and the upper plan in red.  I have the following concerns regarding the lower and left side of the combined plan.

It would appear that some of your upper grades are coming down directly over lower level trackwork, particularly in the lower left corner.

It appears the lower level ramp up to the upper level needs to come back down to arrive at the turntable and fiddle yard.  Clearances here look rather tight.

I would suggest that ramp elevations from the lower level are calculated and put on the plan, keeping in mind that the maximum clearance between lower level rail height and underneath of upper level baseboards is likely to be about 5 inches (125 mm.) unless you are using rather thin baseboards.

Regards

John

Arksley combined Version 2.jpg

This is topic ID = 2872     Page created at 14:16 (local time) Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
You can type a quick reply to this topic here.

Click in the box to begin.

But to reply to an individual message, or to include images, attachments and formatted text, use the reply buttons on each message above.

To start a new topic in this forum, click the Start new topic button below.
To start a new topic in a different forum, click the Forum Jump drop-down list below.

Start new topic 

click to jump to a different forum:     Back to top of page

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > New to Templot - am I on the right lines?
about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2018