Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 28731 : 500 OS Town Plans
author remove search highlighting

posted: 1 May 2016 12:42

John Palmer

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
The range of Ordnance Survey plans made available online by the National Library of Scotland continues to be extended.  I've just noticed that 1 : 500 scale Town Plans dating from the period 1840's to 1890's are becoming available, currently confined to certain cities/towns in an approximate  triangle bounded Wellington (Somerset) - Tewkesbury - Salisbury.

At this scale the track detail provided is quite impressive, the plans for Swindon, for example, showing broad, standard and mixed gauge lines of rail.

Link here

Hope this may be of some interest.

posted: 1 May 2016 14:04

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
John Palmer wrote:
The range of Ordnance Survey plans made available online by the National Library of Scotland continues to be extended. I've just noticed that 1 : 500 scale Town Plans dating from the period 1840's to 1890's are becoming available, currently confined to certain cities/towns in an approximate  triangle bounded Wellington (Somerset) - Tewkesbury - Salisbury.

At this scale the track detail provided is quite impressive, the plans for Swindon, for example, showing broad, standard and mixed gauge lines of rail.

Link here

Hope this may be of some interest.
Hi John,

Indeed, they are ideal for track planning. Until the NLS range is extended, they are also available on old-maps.co.uk covering many more towns and cities. I believe they were done by the OS for all towns over 4,000 population.

A £10 subscription to old-maps.co.uk gets you a month's worth of high-resolution screen-grabbing, until the NLS scans are available free.

See for example:

topic 2865 - message 20193

It was the availability of these maps which prompted me to add the crop/combine function for picture shapes in the next update, allowing multiple hi-res screen captures to be combined, see:

topic 2868

This function will be available in the next program update.

It's getting towards 6 months since the last Templot update, so I need to get on with it. :)

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Prototype pics > 1 : 500 OS Town Plans
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020