topic: 2887Ludgate Hill
author remove search highlighting

posted: 8 Jun 2016 10:20

Hayfield

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I have been asked to help someone with a Templot design for an approach to Ludgate Hill, as many know I am to clever with the finer points of Templot, with the help of the Tutorials I can handle slips and in the past with help have done a 3 way. 
This plan is a challenge that at the moment will give me something to do as my modelling activities are servilely curtailed owing to a house move and waiting for a modelling room to be built (9 months off ?)
I was given a plan with the station approach on, which was a good guide but no template. The first job was to rough out the plan getting the appearance of the prototype in a given space. I am now embarking on the next stage of turning the rough into a working building plan
There is a scissors crossing, a 3 way and 3 diamonds to build. I have started by moving the turnouts into what I believe is their optimum positions (I could be very wrong !!). Next is to make the 3 way, I have gone back to previous advice and placed the 2 turnouts in what I believe are the correct positions and will now go through the tutorial and try to get a working template
Once I have done the 3 way, I guess its the scissors next, then the other two diamonds. All of which are non standard and will require me learning a new process. Its to P4 standards.
If anyone can point out any glaring issues, or tips I would be very pleased, but these are all areas I should be now mastering as I have used Templot for less complicated items for some time. Got a feeling this will take me some time.
Attachment: attach_2299_2887_Ludgate_Hill_station3_A2.box     222

posted: 8 Jun 2016 11:36

rodney_hills

United Kingdom

Hello Hayfield,

What plan did you use as a basis?

OS 5feet/mile (1:1056) 1896 here:
http://maps.nls.uk/view/101201592

regards, Rodney Hills

posted: 8 Jun 2016 11:48

Ariels Girdle

There has already been a topic on this

topic 2400

posted: 8 Jun 2016 12:37

Hayfield

United Kingdom

rodney_hills wrote:
Hello Hayfield,

What plan did you use as a basis?

OS 5feet/mile (1:1056) 1896 here:
http://maps.nls.uk/view/101201592

regards, Rodney Hills
Rodney
Its a different later plan with 1 platform (disused?), no idea of its date or origin. 

posted: 8 Jun 2016 12:40

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Ariels Girdle wrote:
There has already been a topic on this

topic 2400
Thanks for the link, I will read it, though I think I am doing a later version of the station. The thread may even have been the catalyst for the layout

posted: 8 Jun 2016 13:20

Hayfield

United Kingdom

I have had a quick try to start altering the plan into a working drawing (after quickly reading the link)
Worked on some of the timbers in the scissors and started one of the diamonds, am I on the correct path with the diamond crossing please
Attachment: attach_2300_2887_Ludgate_Hill_station3_A4.box     189

posted: 8 Jun 2016 16:11

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Hopefully again I am on the correct path for the 3 way. Started to fit the curviform Vee Hopefully have got it correct this time
Attachment: attach_2301_2887_Ludgate_Hill_station3_A5.box     196

posted: 8 Jun 2016 17:05

Raymond

Bexhill-on-sea - United Kingdom

Your three way looks as though one of the turnouts is not lined up correctly. Try copying the underlying turnout, reverse the handing and work on it from there and it will be guaranteed to line up correctly.

posted: 9 Jun 2016 09:54

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Raymond

Thanks, was it the first box file 3A4 or second 3A5 as I noticed I had a duplicate template out or register

posted: 9 Jun 2016 10:09

Raymond

Bexhill-on-sea - United Kingdom

It was the latter.

posted: 9 Jun 2016 10:33

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Thanks for both the info and tip, I will have another go later. I had a problem snapping one on to the other from memory
Last edited on 9 Jun 2016 11:21 by Hayfield
posted: 9 Jun 2016 11:23

Hayfield

United Kingdom

I hopefully have tidied up the 3 way, and done a little more on the second diamond. Am I going in the right direction or making a complete pigs ear of it please
Attachment: attach_2303_2887_Ludgate_Hill_station3_A6.box     204

posted: 9 Jun 2016 12:01

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi John,

You are doing ok. :)

There are still some misalignments in your plan, but no doubt you will get them tidied up.

While you were posting that I was making you a quick bit of video showing how to get the base turnouts in a tandem aligned. It's really very simple, as Raymond explained. Just invert the handing and snake into place. See:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=Pl3SItCsGv8b3sM11eZtvw2

I'm very sorry there still isn't a proper up-to-date tutorial for tandem turnouts. Unfortunately it is a complex task, and a full tutorial is about a week's work. I just don't have time for that at present -- we haven't had a program update for 6 months, and I have started on a beginner's "Templot Explained" section in the Templot Companion which is going to take months of work.

For some guidelines on designing tandem turnouts, see this topic:

topic 2394 - message 16119

regards,

Martin.

posted: 9 Jun 2016 12:39

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Martin

That is brilliant and so quick, thank you very much.

I see you used snake through peg, I used slide through peg and then had to alter the curve slightly. What is the difference between the two.

I am also concerned about the diamonds, am I doing them correctly, as I am doing each half at a time and altering them to fit, is this correct ?

Also sometimes I cannot seem to get both to snap together, I get the red circle at the correct ends of both, but they still do not snap together. Is this where I am getting the alignment wrong ?

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Ludgate Hill
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020