Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 2901(L)NER crossover (splice rail lengths)
author remove search highlighting

posted: 16 Jul 2016 23:20

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Greetings fellow track builders.
I am building my first C9 crossover (P4) to (L)NER design after 'graduating' from B6 and B8 single units.
I have taken the diagram from the NERA books and shoved the timbers in Templot and verified with a close up photograph. All well and good. However, the diagram shows a 17ft splice rail* and that means the rail joint will be not only behind the opposing turnout's check rail but actually directly on a chair.
I have found a photo from a much earlier time at another location (NER) that shows the splice rail at the close end of the opposing check rail giving an approximate length of 8ft. I'm sure I read somewhere that short splice rails were done away with quite early and I have not found any reference to uses longer than 17ft.
Does anyone have any opinions on this please? Either for prototypical reasons or pragmatic modelling.

Any suggestions greatfully appreciated as usual.
Derek

(EDITED to remove spurious styling data- no idea what that was about)
Last edited on 16 Jul 2016 23:23 by DerekStuart
posted: 17 Jul 2016 06:12

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

DerekStuart wrote:
(EDITED to remove spurious styling data- no idea what that was about)
Hi Derek,

You perhaps copied and pasted from a word processor program? Word even? If you want to prepare a post in advance, use a plain text editor program such as Windows Notepad. If that was not the case, which browser are you using?

It's quite common to have a rail joint behind a check rail. Looking at the crossover diagrams on pages 78 and 80 in the NER 1912 book, there are several such rail joints, also notes of amounts "to be cut off splice rail" in making the joints. Also some rail joints are shown on a saddle chair.

The table on page 28 shows the splice rail length for a 1:9 crossing is 16ft-9in, although it is not clear where this is measured from. It's likely to be the length of the original raw rail -- the drawing on page 33 shows the end of the splice rail is 10.1/8" behind the blunt nose.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 18 Jul 2016 11:50

Stephen Freeman

Sandbach - United Kingdom

Hi,
whilst it happened in real life, I personally would try to avoid it if at all possible, though sometimes it just can't be helped. Not impossible just more difficult.

posted: 18 Jul 2016 12:57

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

Martin,
as ever, many thanks for your kind help. Is a saddle chair the one that looks like an overscale normal chair but has a hole in each side for a bolt rather than a wooden key? If so I have seen one before- indeed, uploaded here once as I thought it interesting.

I didn't use a word processor- just in the forum as usual. It might be windows 'edge' to blame. Come back Windows 7 or 8 all is forgiven.

Mr Borg Rail, thanks for your suggestion. I was thinking just that. As these turnouts have a 0 entry straight, I can see it being hard to go from straight to curved right at the end of the rail. Perhaps I would be better to put it at the far end of the check rail, which is where the (L)NER usually put it. I doubt anyone would notice.

Thanks gentlemen.

posted: 18 Jul 2016 13:26

Martin Wynne

DerekStuart wrote:
Is a saddle chair the one that looks like an overscale normal chair but has a hole in each side for a bolt rather than a wooden key?
Hi Derek,

No, a saddle chair simply supports and locates the rail foot, without any full jaws or rail fixings. Thus allowing for the presence of fishplates and access to fishbolts. There is a drawing of a saddle chair on page 4A in the LNER 1926 book.

I will look again at Microsoft Edge. It seemed to be working fine on here the last time I tried, but is constantly changing.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 18 Jul 2016 13:38

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

Thanks again Martin.

What I saw in the photo must have been the back of a slide chair used as a 'temporary' repair. I will look at the LNER 26 book, thanks for the page entry so I know what I'm looking for.

edge seems to have a lot of problems. I don't know if you use social media, but on farcebook it has a habit of double entering text and then disappearing (ms aware of it). It doesn't do it all the time.

I had a mishap with my old laptop (win 8) and replaced it with this thing. BTW if one was careless enough to not back up a Templot file (say if one was away from their backup server for a few days) and it became corrupted, are there any tricks that I can try that might recover some of the data? Sorry for the further o/t question.

Derek

posted: 18 Jul 2016 14:12

Martin Wynne

DerekStuart wrote:
BTW if one was careless enough to not back up a Templot file (say if one was away from their backup server for a few days) and it became corrupted, are there any tricks that I can try that might recover some of the data?
Hi Derek,

If a file is corrupted all bets are off. If you know the internal structure of a file you might be able to reinstate it using a program such as Hex Workshop.

However Templot makes it very difficult to lose significant amounts of data. By default, every time you save your work it creates a new file. So you can always go back to an earlier file, losing only your work since then. Also the restore previous session and restore prior previous session functions are always available to go back to the most recent two Templot sessions.

For backup, all members of Templot Club have a private space on here where you can upload your files for safe keeping. See:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_category.php?id=4

topic 835

regards,

Martin.

posted: 18 Jul 2016 18:51

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

Thanks for the further reply, Martin.

I did a marathon 'virtual modelling' of a major terminus in a day and all the recent files were lost except a few early in the morning that were recovered. Still, what I can do once I can do again.

Again, my thanks to you for spending time answering my questions.
Derek

posted: 18 Jul 2016 19:13

Martin Wynne

DerekStuart wrote:
I did a marathon 'virtual modelling' of a major terminus in a day and all the recent files were lost except a few early in the morning that were recovered.
Hi Derek,

Sorry to hear that. You need to take the computer or the old hard drive to your local computer fix-it shop. There's a fair chance they may be able to recover some of the files.

For the future I suggest a copy of AJC Active Backup, and a USB memory stick to receive a copy of the files as you create them:

http://www.ajcsoft.com/active-backup.htm

Set AJC Active Backup to start automatically when you start your computer, and point it at all files in the C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\ folder.

Then just remember to plug in the USB stick when working on Templot (or anything else important).

regards,

Martin.

posted: 18 Jul 2016 19:50

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

Thanks Martin. It is a works computer and backs up every time I go into the office or home. This was whilst out and about (waiting for a delayed ferry of all things). That AJC system sounds good as I am quite often away from the office for several days at a time. Given how much I dislike Windows 10 I can see this computer needing repaired (along with the plaster on the wall) before long.

The drive was sent away but one of the heads had impacted the platter badly. BTW If anyone ever needs low level data recovery (ie opening the drive in a clean room Vs in a USB caddy) I can recommend East Anglia Data Recovery. No connection other than a customer.

I hope that's OK to mention them there but understand if you need to delete that reference.

Derek

posted: 18 Jul 2016 20:57

Martin Wynne

DerekStuart wrote:
I hope that's OK to mention them there but understand if you need to delete that reference.
Hi Derek,

That's fine. In fact it is still fine if you were connected with them.

I'm happy with occasional advertising on here provided it is relevant to Templot or trackbuilding and contains useful information for members. i.e. not just price lists, etc.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > (L)NER crossover (splice rail lengths)
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020