topic: 2909Straight Diverging route on a turnout with contraflexure
author remove search highlighting

posted: 8 Aug 2016 05:45

mightbe

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi all,
I've finally been prompted to give in and register--the primary motivation being that, for the first time, I have a question that I haven't been able to find an answer to. 

I'm toying with ideas for a P4 test track and decided I should include a slip of some sort. Going for ease and aesthetic value, I opted for a 'double track with trailing connection to siding' sort of arrangement. Additionally I put the whole thing on a curve which transitions to straight track at each end. (the idea being that the test track can be tarted up and used as a photo plank as well). Due to the small size, one turnout and the slip lie within a transition. 

What I want is for the diverging route of the lower turnout to be completely straight, and I'd prefer a B8 (ish) or something that doesn't require a switched diamond within the slip. I have no idea how to get rid of the pesky curve that makes itself evident whenever I make a branch track. Once I get the straight diverging road set up I think I'll be able to follow the video for diamonds within transitions, and then afterward I'll insert a slip road.

To illustrate, this is the general arrangement made with the default curving when using regular common crossings: undefinedundefined

(image also attached below)

Quentin
Attachment: attach_2316_2909_P4_test_4a.jpg     306

posted: 8 Aug 2016 10:48

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Quentin,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

I'm not sure what you are asking for. :?  You seem to have achieved the classic trailing slip crossover connection to a yard, all on a nice gentle curve. It's very likely that most such prototypes would be exactly like that.

Which part do you want to be straight? The diverging road of a turnout can never be dead straight, you will always have the switch deflection angle from the main road, with the corresponding set in the stock rail. But you can get quite close by adjusting the V-crossing angle and the contraflexure radius in the main road.

If you mean you want the road across the diamond to be straight beyond the turnout, that can be done by creating an irregular diamond-crossing. Use tools > make branch track on the turnout, and then change it to straight. You can then do peg/align tools > make diamond-crossing at intersection, and add the slip roads in the usual way.

If the outer curve is within a transition zone at that location, it gets a bit more involved, but there is a video showing how to proceed, click help > watch a video > Scruff Video Andrew transition diamond.

If you want a shorter diamond, change the turnout to a curviform pattern V-crossing before you start. Depending on your ruling radius, that may be preferable anyway.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 9 Aug 2016 09:18

mightbe

Hi Martin,

I suppose I want the road running across the diamond to be straight.

I take it that the 'make branch' function takes its radius cue (on regular crossings) from the radius of the diverging route at the V. If the main road is straight, the branch track will be straight (again, assuming a regular and not curviform crossing). I also take it that the radius of the diverging route is affected by the curvature of the main road. If not, I would not expect the two roads to ultimately curve in the same direction.

Because I want to avoid the non-transition created by simply changing the branch to straight, the solution would seem to be to manipulate the turnout such that at the extreme heel end of the diverging route is straight. Is this even possible, or with a curved main road is this ruled out?

To clarify, I don't want the whole diverging road to be ramrod straight--just the little bit after the V.

Quentin

posted: 9 Aug 2016 10:43

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Quentin,

By default, tools > make branch track creates curvature in the new branch track matching that at the rail joint in the splice rail (i.e. at the CTRL-6 TVJP peg position). In the cases of a regular or generic V-crossing that means the branch track will always be curving in the same direction as the main road. For a curviform V-crossing it could sometimes be curving in the opposite direction.

The two standard options for the radius in the splice rail section of a V-crossing are:

regular or generic V-crossing: same radius and direction as the main road

curviform V-crossing: same radius as the turnout road from the heel of the switch

If you want some other radius in the splice rail section, as in this case (you want it to be straight), you need to shorten the turnout road exit to the minimum. To do this (change to a curviform* V-crossing and then) use the CTRL+F12 mouse action:

2_090527_560000000.png2_090527_560000000.png

You can then peg on your straight branch track at the shortened exit. For a siding you would need to omit the overlying sleepers from the branch track using the shove timber functions. As you will be making a diamond-crossing at this location, some tidying up of the timbers will likely be needed in any event.

p.s. the above applies to Templot2 only.

In the next program update I have added TMINP and TEXITP peg positions to assist the above. For the present put the peg at the CTRL-6 position and then move it back to the end of the rails using the CTRL+F8 mouse action.

*the choice of curviform/regular for the short remaining length through the V-crossing will depend on the intended direction of curving in the branch track. (If you want a geometrically perfect result, i.e. in this case with the turnout exit dead straight from the FP position, you would need to build up the turnout from several partial templates -- probably swapping the hand of the V-crossing over the short length of the actual nose. That would be a lot of work for a barely perceptible change in the finished turnout. If you want the straight to begin further back in the turnout, you could try using a left-hand switch in a right-hand turnout, or you could build up the entire turnout from partial templates.)

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Straight Diverging route on a turnout with contraflexure
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020