topic: 2922Image Size
author remove search highlighting

posted: 6 Sep 2016 09:01

Julian Reynolds

Christchurch - New Zealand

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi I am new to Templot and slowly working my way through the tutorials and videos  I am trying to load a background image of the Dulverton Station but keep getting the following message when attempting to save my work.  The scanned image is 3.89mb as a jpeg but 297mb as a bmp image.  Am I just trying to load too much Data?  I fortunately have a son who is good with Photoshop so if this is the issue expect I can get this resolved.
Many thanksJulian
3169_060357_550000000.png3169_060357_550000000.png

posted: 6 Sep 2016 12:05

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Julian,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

Thanks for posting a nice clear screenshot. That is a message from the system, not from Templot. When I write error messages I try to be a bit more helpful and make suggestions to avoid the problem. :)

Your image must be heavily compressed in the JPG file to go from 297 MB in the bitmap down to only 3.89 MB in the file.

It is the bitmap size which Templot has to deal with internally after expanding the file, and 297 MB is on the large side of normal expectations. Your screenshot shows it to be 20513 x 5076 pixels.

There are several things you can try. The obvious one is to resize it in Photoshop to a smaller size. If you reduce it to say 33%, 6838 x 1692, that would reduce the bitmap size 9-fold to 33 MB which would almost certainly be ok. You would lose some of the image detail in the process, bit probably not enough to affect the track design process. 

If you don't want to do that, you could try reducing the colour-depth in Photoshop to grey-scale (or alternatively 8-bit colour). This will reduce the size of the bitmap 3-fold to about 100 MB which would probably still be ok. Grey-scale will preserve almost all of the detail, 8-bit colour retains some colour but is likely to lose fine detail, although possibly not enough to notice.

If you want to retain the full resolution and detail of the image, my suggestion would be to split the image into smaller sections. You can have several picture shapes side-by-side on the screen. Templot can then deal with them one at a time when loading and saving, and not all in one go. If you split your image into say 5 sections, each one would be about 4000 x 5000 which is still a large image in general terms. This would actually be beneficial for zooming and panning when working over the image in Templot, which otherwise is likely to be very slow. You could have each picture shape in a separate BGS file and load only the file(s) needed for the area which you are working on.

Also I suggest saving it from Photoshop as a PNG file rather than JPG. The file will be larger, but Templot will have less work to do in expanding it, and the resulting internal memory requirement will be the same.

If you would like to post your 3.89 MB JPG image as an attachment here I will try these options and see which produces the best results, or maybe suggest something else.

(Don't try to put it in the Image Gallery, it is much too large.)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 12 Sep 2016 22:35

Julian Reynolds

Hi Martin
Thank you for your informative reply. I have sent the image to my son to try the Grey Scale option first, once he has done this I will try inserting back into Templot and let you know how I get on. I am waiting to receive a better scanned image from the Wiltshire Heritage society which I think will retain the scale better than the current digital photos that I have.

Thanks again
Julian

posted: 15 Sep 2016 08:26

Julian Reynolds

Hi Martin
Just received the "Grey Scale" image back from my son and I am pleased to say that I have been successful in downloading and saving the background image. I will now continue with the videos and lessons and put this knowledge to use in building the Dulverton track plan on the back ground image.

Thanks for your very informative advice

Regards
Julian

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020