Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 2933Baffled Beginner? Oh yes; that's me!
author remove search highlighting

posted: 12 Oct 2016 11:56

RichardS

Norwich - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
After several (actually probably dozens!) attempts I have 'finished' my first Templot plan. I say finished - if a carpenter was aiming for a smooth plank then he and I have just felled the tree!

Scanned an OS map                      : check  (1/2500 at 300dpi h and v)

Created a shape                             : check

Created templates to follow            : check

Deleted templates I seemed to create at random during the process : check

(deleted templates I wanted to keep) : check : doh!

Saved/Stored to Box File                : check 

But it doesn't look quite right.

The original plan - on a curve - had some slightly 'curvy linear' sidings which I couldn't see how to replicate. I found ways to add track but it doesn't flow as I hoped.

I also tried using curviform V crossings - but this didn't seem to help.

Really I'm quite pleased with the outcome as my first try but I would be delighted if somebody more experienced might have a few minutes to cast an eye over the outcome please?

I've also attached my scan which is obviously copyrighted to OS - I doubt they'll mind too much as it's for educational purposes and a very old map.

For the record - this is Hellesdon Station on the M&GN line from Norwich City Station to Melton Constable. I could see trains on this line when I was very small if I stood in our kitchen sink.

Thanks in advance

Richard
Attachment: attach_2331_2933_Hellesdon.bgs     248

posted: 12 Oct 2016 12:12

RichardS

Norwich - United Kingdom

Sorry about all the gaps in the text, I've tried editing it but they just re-appeared.
I've also now added the Templot file as well couldn't seem to add two files as attachments.
Richard
Attachment: attach_2332_2933_Hellesdon.box     263

posted: 12 Oct 2016 12:59

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Richard,

Which browser were you using? I have edited out the big gaps.

Please attach also your .SK81 file (which contains your actual map image). It's in the SHAPE-FILES folder (same place as the BGS file).

Sorry, this software allows only one file attachment per message (and there must be at least one word of text with it). But at least that avoids confusion if each file has its own description.

To add images to a message you use the gallery buttons above the posting editor, not file attachments. There is no restriction on the number of those.

OS maps are out of copyright if more than 50 years old.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 12 Oct 2016 15:20

RichardS

Norwich - United Kingdom

Hello Martin, thank you for replying.
The browser is IE11. My 'reply' to my OP was 'normal.'  When I was creating the message I was trying to add more than one attachment and ended up deleting one and then re-adding in the preview pane. I'm sure it was a user problem!

Here is the .sk81 file. 

Many thanks

Richard
Attachment: attach_2333_2933_Hellesdon.sk81     256

posted: 18 Oct 2016 21:30

RichardS

Norwich - United Kingdom

I think I may be getting somewhere.

Mrs S had a look at what I was doing and her comment was 'that's a very clever programme!'

One of the problems I had with the Hellesdon plan was matching the track to the map. Running before walking perhaps. However, I discovered that Anyrail has now added some P4 Exactoscale templates to it's OO track library. (Probably best not to raise that subject)

So I knocked up a freehand track plan with one 'standard point' in it, an A6. And using the 'flexitrack' option (2000mm long incidentally) I described some flowing curves over a drawing of the base boards I will probably use for my project.

This I exported as a .png at the curious dpi of 262 (max allowed but I'm sure there's a reason) and a scale of 1:4.

Importing this into Templot as a background I then set about plotting templates over the Anyrail track. I experimented almost all day but finally have what I think is a usable plan. I've attached a jpeg for interest. If anybody is sufficiently curious I'm happy to add the Box and .sk81 file.

Although the plan is based on Hellesdon, I'm moved the location to the middle of the Norfolk Broads and designed the plan to comply with the Scalefour Society 'Standard Gauge Workbench' initiative - it seems as good a place to start as any.

It's an end to end 'through' location and I've adopted - I think it was Ian Rice's idea of - a hidden return loop meaning that only one 'fiddle yard' is required. I cannot quite get the three baseboards erected in the '47J Railway Parlour' so may have to reduce the size of the FY which I will probably make as a traverser.

So far so good - I hope!

Regards

RichardS
Attachment: attach_2336_2933_oby_station.jpg     260

posted: 19 Oct 2016 19:52

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Richard,

That's a very round-about approach. :)

I don't understand why it is easier to align tracks over an AnyRail plan than over an OS map?

Your original plan seemed a close match to the map:

2_191437_230000000.png2_191437_230000000.png

I was intending to tidy it up for you in places, but if you have now moved to a different prototype presumably this is no longer wanted?

Generally the way to get a track aligned over a map is to add 2 short dummy templates some way apart. Adjust them to the map curve using the CTRL+F10 swell mouse action, and then make a transition curve between them. You can then insert a turnout in it, or split it into new dummy templates to get a better match to the map. See:

http://templot.com/companion/swell_function_ctrl_f10.html

regards,

Martin.

posted: 21 Oct 2016 20:43

RichardS

Norwich - United Kingdom

Hello Martin, thank you for your reply.

I don't think it is necessarily easier to align over AR than a map. It seems to be essentially the same process. But what using AR meant was that I could create a 'free-hand' drawing to fit a specific baseboard while ensuring that the curves I created where not less than the minimum I specified.

Hellesdon to scale was, as I discovered, going to be far too big so what I have done is shortened and simplified the principal and I know it will fit my baseboard. Yes I could have sketched the same thing but I'm not the world's greatest draughtsman and that would still need scanning and scaling.

My problem with Hellesdon (which I was otherwise quite pleased with) was where things joined up. I will have a look at the swell function, which I had tried to use but without a transition and see how that impacts the latest manifestation.

The printed templates are superb.

Regarding Hellesdon I'm grateful for your offer but yes, I think that for a plan based on the prototype that is now past. One day I'll have more room....maybe.

There was an ideal property on Escape to the Country the other day. An old school in Luxulyan which had been modernised and there was effectively a 'long gallery' (Elizabethan style) in the roof one side.
(NB I don't watch EtotC - but Mrs S does)

Best wishes
Richard

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Baffled Beginner? Oh yes; that's me!
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020