author remove search highlighting

posted: 12 Dec 2016 00:59

gibbard d

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi guys
Is anyone able to help me out by tidying up and adding the missing V crossing and check rails to my attached 3 way turnout please?
ive drawn it from 2 straight B6 turnouts. the positions, lengths and radius ideally cant be changed as the point needs to fit existing track layout already drawn. ive tried to follow the video on tandem points but every time its moving and altering the possition of the points and I'm not fully understanding the process :(

Also is there a way of inserting/ showing the differnt types of chairs required as i would like to use the C&L chaired track but am new to to this and so dont know which chairs are required or where they sit within the point work

Many Thanks

Attachment: attach_2350_2946_3_way.box     251

posted: 12 Dec 2016 14:31

Stephen Freeman

Sandbach - United Kingdom

Hi,
Unfortunately it won't work as drawn as the second B6 doesn't have enough clearance at the toe end, so I'd try an A6 instead. I can't advise on the central vee as I do it a "non-approved way", which I worked out for myself years ago, nowadays I know there is supposed to be an easier way to do it but it's quicker for me to carry on doing it the old way.
Chairs? not yet really.
I expect Martin will advise further.

posted: 12 Dec 2016 15:05

gibbard d

United Kingdom

ok cheers for the clearance advise. will changing the second turnout to an A-6 affect the exit positions on the turnout, meaning ill have to adjust and redraw the attaching tracks or does it just shorten the length of the blades/point?

i should add the turnout has been copied off a larger layout design so i have the one turnout instead of 7/8, that's the reason I'm worried about the entrance and exit positions moving

posted: 12 Dec 2016 23:59

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

If you wipe the second template to the control and move the peg to the Ctrl  4 position, you can adjust the switch type without the crossing moving. I have done this and attached the A-6 version box file. The next problem is that the middle crossing will be very close to the adjacent running rail so a full crossing vee will not fit.
Regards
Tony W.
Attachment: attach_2353_2946_3_way_A6.box     232

posted: 13 Dec 2016 01:50

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

As others have said there are a few issues with your tandem to fit in the check and wing rails for the middle crossing.

Ideally the first turnout needs to be a bit longer, maybe a B-7 or a 12ft switch -7.

You might also do better changing to 4-SF (00-SF) rather than 00-BF, as the narrower flangeways make more room.

If you can post a bit more of your .box file so that we can see how the connecting tracks align we may be able to find a better solution.

For the chairs, the best way is to study an Exactoscale template from C&L. If you are a member of the Scalefour Society you can download some of them from the Society's web site and zoom in to see all the chairing detail round the crossings and switch heels.

Here is a drawing showing the basic arrangement for crossings. You can see that an L1 bridge chair is used where there isn't room for a standard S1 chair:

2_050420_590000000.png2_050420_590000000.png

The "A" chair under the nose of the vee is normally built up as a "slab & bracket" chair with a bolt through the assembly:

2_061131_520000000.jpg2_061131_520000000.jpg
Thanks to Mick Nicholson for this pic.

The ends of a check rail have special angled chairs to create the flared ends.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 13 Dec 2016 02:23

gibbard d

United Kingdom

cheers for the advise/ instruction. I see what you mean about the v crossing
style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 238);"I've changed the first turnout to a B-8 and left the second at A-6 which appears to have solved the problems with the original setup

style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 238);"I haven't managed to 100% line the centre V with the other rails  :( will this be suitable for constructing the turnout or do I need to fully aline all the rails to be able to follow the drawing during construction?
style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 238);"

style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 238);"I've shoved the timber to what I believe to be correct, could check and confirm or advise any that are wrong and need adjusting
Attachment: attach_2356_2946_3_way_modified.box     227

posted: posted: 13 Dec 2016 02:25

gibbard d

United Kingdom

I've changed the first turnout to a B-8 and left the second at A-6 which appears to have solved the problems with the original setup

I haven't managed to 100% line the centre V with the other rails   will this be suitable for constructing the turnout or do I need to fully aline all the rails to be able to follow the drawing during construction?

I've shoved the timber to what I believe to be correct, could check and confirm or advise any that are wrong and need adjusting

(I don't know where all that extra text came from

13 Dec 2016 02:25

gibbard d

United Kingdom

I've changed the first turnout to a B-8 and left the second at A-6 which appears to have solved the problems with the original setup

I haven't managed to 100% line the centre V with the other rails   will this be suitable for constructing the turnout or do I need to fully aline all the rails to be able to follow the drawing during construction?

I've shoved the timber to what I believe to be correct, could check and confirm or advise any that are wrong and need adjusting

(I don't know where all that extra text came from

posted: 13 Dec 2016 02:35

gibbard d

United Kingdom

the requested Box file
the attached plan is still with both turnouts at B6's

I'm limited for space on the base boards of an overall length of 10ft and width of 2ft4, this is the reason for the two 3 way turnouts. the first LH turnout feeds into the coaling roads the rest feed into the engine shed roads.
Attachment: attach_2357_2946_engine_shed_design.box     270

posted: 14 Dec 2016 10:23

Stephen Freeman

Sandbach - United Kingdom

gibbard d wrote:
the requested Box file
the attached plan is still with both turnouts at B6's

I'm limited for space on the base boards of an overall length of 10ft and width of 2ft4, this is the reason for the two 3 way turnouts. the first LH turnout feeds into the coaling roads the rest feed into the engine shed roads.
Hi,

I've done the 3 ways my way, however there is of course still the consideration that the wing rail on the central vee is likely to cause you to need to take extra care (the length shown is only an approximation) to make sure that vehicles on the straight path will clear the end of it.
Attachment: attach_2358_2946_high_road_2016_12_14_1013_48.box     249

posted: 14 Dec 2016 14:30

gibbard d

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:

You might also do better changing to 4-SF (00-SF) rather than 00-BF, as the narrower flangeways make more room.

Hi martin cheers for the advise regarding the chairs

will changing to 4-SF (00-SF) still allow me to run RTR locos without changing back to backs? as ill be running my Granddad's locomotives which he also runs on his layout built  from peco track, that was my main reason so going with standard 00.The loco's ill be running are all newish RTR steam, with the smaller closer to scale flanges and a couple of kit built locos with Romford wheelsets.

if the change doesn't affect modern RTR locos is there a way of changing the whole template over with out it affecting the geometry and positions? as when I tried just now it only changed the one turnout and moved its position :(

many thanks
Daniel 

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > 3 way point help
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020