Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 2964I wish it would.... allow Wing Rails to have a knuckle bend radius
author remove search highlighting

posted: 14 Jan 2017 14:06

ChrisBr

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
As I understand it (early) GWR Wing Rails were radiused according to the angle of the crossing as the became the check rail for the crossing nose. It would be nice (assuming I have not missed the capability in the system - I did look first) to be able to select this as an option under "Real, V-Crossing Options" when modelling these examples and for the printout to reflect this option.

Regards,

Chris

posted: 14 Jan 2017 14:55

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

ChrisBr wrote:
As I understand it (early) GWR Wing Rails were radiused according to the angle of the crossing
Hi Chris,

Not only GWR -- all* knuckle bends are radiused, with the result that the knuckle gap is wider than the flangeway gap. See the "knuckle gap" figures in the table of crossing data at:

http://templot.com/martweb/templot_forum.htm

2_050420_590000000.png2_050420_590000000.png

Some prototypes have a very noticeable knuckle radius, such as the NER.

This feature was missed out when I originally wrote the code for the template generator 30 years ago, and it has been on my to-do list ever since. :(

Likewise several other similar refinements, such as the bend radius at the bent check rail flares.

Of course, the templates are not and never were intended to be descriptive drawings of trackwork. They are for use as construction guides. As such, if you know there is a radius at the knuckle bend, there is no actual need for it to be shown on the template -- except perhaps to avoid misleading anyone into thinking the bend should be dead sharp.

Nevertheless it would be nice for the knuckle radius to show, especially when zoomed in on the screen, and I will get there one day. :)

Thanks for posting a reminder.

*You never say "all" or "never", but if the rail is inclined at 1:20 a dead-sharp bend is all but impossible to make and would require some serious hot-forging.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 14 Jan 2017 16:03

ChrisBr

Martin,

As ever thanks for the prompt reply. I appreciate one builds track using the template as an aid rather than an exact pattern, but there are enough things to think about and remember already so the more the template points you in the right direction the better in my view.

Maybe one day this will make it to the top of the list.... :cool:

Chris

posted: 15 Jan 2017 04:58

Martin Wynne

ChrisBr wrote:
Maybe one day this will make it to the top of the list.... :cool:
Hi Chris,

You hit a raw nerve with this request, so I have spent a few hours in the code. :)

There are some discrepancies with curviform and generic crossings shorter than about 1:3, but otherwise it is looking promising. It makes a more noticeable difference to the appearance of the template than might be expected.

The default setting will match GWR practice, or you can set a custom knuckle radius. There will also be an option to revert to a sharp knuckle if preferred.

In the next program update, which I hope will be very soon, as it is long overdue.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 16 Jan 2017 01:15

Martin Wynne

Hi Chris,

It took me a while to iron out some issues, but the end result is quite promising, and more noticeable than I expected.

I added some markers to show the extent of the knuckle bend, and its original sharp centre:

2_152001_080000000.png2_152001_080000000.png

2_152001_080000001.png2_152001_080000001.png

The normal setting matches the usual practice of having the knuckle bend radius in feet matching the crossing angle, i.e. for a 1:7 crossing the knuckle bend radius is 7ft.

Which is another way of saying that the length of the bend is 1ft for all angles.

It has to be a bit shorter for very short angles to fit in front of the vee nose and properly support the wheels.

The sharp setting reverts to the previous template design (without markers).

regards,

Martin.

posted: 16 Jan 2017 12:53

John Palmer

Martin Wynne wrote:
Likewise several other similar refinements, such as the bend radius at the bent check rail flares
Being able to show the correct radius at the knuckle is a very nice enhancement by itself, but an ability to put the correct radius of flare onto check/wing rail ends would really put the icing on the cake - see this post for an illustration of the quite pronounced flaring on a North British check rail.

posted: 24 Jan 2017 15:51

ChrisBr

Martin,

Just downloaded the new version and very pleased with the new functionality, thanks very much. Hope the raw nerve wasn't too painful....

Regards,

Chris

PS - also like the easier import of pictures into the background for overlaying track plans onto.

Templot Club > Forums > I wish it would... > I wish it would.... allow Wing Rails to have a knuckle bend radius
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020