topic: 2965Wheel Profiles 4mm - 00-SF and EM
author remove search highlighting

posted: 15 Jan 2017 10:32

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
In the EMGS, January 2017, Newsletter, there is a review of a Sutton's Locomotive Works BR Class 24 B0-B0.
The reviewer, Phil Tattershall, expressed the following opinion regarding the wheels:

"Having given a glowing account so far, I have to report that, on placing my loco on the track I could not detect any side-to-side clearance between the wheelsets and the track. Closer examination revealed that the profile of the EM gauge wheels is identical with that of the NMRA RP25-110 ones supplied for 00 gauge but with longer axles to accommodate a 16.5mm back-to-back. There is no doubt that the loco does run on EM track but, if there is any tightness of gauge on your track, there could perhaps be problems. The attached photo shows the profile of the wheels (00 gauge to avoid me removing the EM ones from the loco). The larger root radius between the tread and the flange itself combine to cause the problem."

Phil goes on to say that the loco should have been fitted with EMGS profile wheels.

I have quoted the above because it has always been my belief that 00-SF(4-SF) was EM gauge 18.2mm minus 2mm and that the raison d'etre of 00-SF was that it would accept many wheel standards without modification, particularly 00 RTR wheels and RP25-110 wheels (I believe RP-88 wheels are regarded as too narrow.

Additionally I have often changed my wheelsets from 00 to EM, by changing the Back-toBacks.

Am I very mistaken,  I've never had any problems, or have I just been lucky.

posted: 15 Jan 2017 11:49

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Godfrey,

If RP-25/110 wheels (i.e. ex 00 RTR) wheels are used on EM they should be set to 16.4mm back-to-back, in other words 4-SF (00-SF) + 2mm.

The significant dimension is the back-to-flange dimension, which should not exceed the 17.2mm EM check gauge. With flanges 0.8mm thick, that means the maximum back-to-back is 16.4mm.

For EM dimensions go to

http://00-sf.org.uk

and add 2mm to all figures.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Wheel Profiles 4mm - 00-SF and EM
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020