topic: 2984Windows 10 Possible Problem
author remove search highlighting

posted: 20 Feb 2017 15:09

PJW

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Martin
After switching to Windows 10, I reloaded Templot on 08 February. I put the downloaded file through a virus check before installing, with no problems.
Everything went well until last Friday 17 October.
I exported to several scaled pdf files successfully.
But suddendly, when exporting to a scaled pdf plan, my Kaspersky Internet Security came up with the following message:
PDM.Trojun.Win32.Generic
When I disinfected, Kaspersky had removed templot2.exe
I downloaded the templot files again from your website, rescanned for viruses. All clear. Reinstalled. Ran Malware Bytes before running Templot. All clear.
I ran Templot. As before, ok with standard work on templates, background shapes etc. Again, there was no problem initially with exporting to scaled pdfs, but again an error occurred. The result of disinfecting was to rempove templot2.exe.
Any ideas what could be wrong?
Many thanks,
Patrick

posted: 22 Feb 2017 15:30

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Patrick,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

The Templot program file should be templot_2.exe , not templot2.exe .

Assuming that was just a typo in your message, I think you have a problem with Kaspersky.

The templot_2.exe program file can't be ok at one minute, and become a threat the next minute simply by exporting a PDF file.

Are you having similar problems with any other files created by Templot, such as your .box data files?

Does the problem go away if you export the file to some other location, such as a USB memory stick?

The first thing to try would be updating Kaspersky to the latest definition file. If that doesn't cure it, you need to find the method to tell Kaspersky to ignore the templot_2.exe file. Sorry I don't know how to do that, but someone here will.

Anyone else seeing the same problem?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 23 Feb 2017 09:53

PJW

Dear Martin
Many thanks for your reply.

I realise that I have come up with a minor problem which no one has experienced. Being a computer related rather than a railway related problem makes it even more of a minority problem. But here are some more details.

Sorry about my typo; I had omitted the underscore in the file name.

I have had no problems with any other Templot file type; .box ,.bgs , etc.
Nor are there any problems with printing other Templot files types, either directly from the Templot screen or indirectly.
Also, there is no problem with printing from a previously exported .pdf file.

In summary:
  • The error occurs on 'export to scaled .pdf'
  • The error is intermittent, which naturally makes things difficult. It does not occur on more than 1 in 4 export to .pdf.
  • It occurs before the actual save (when Templot is generating the .pdf file??), ie when Templot prompts the user whether they wish to export each individual sheet, eg export a/1, export a/2, etc.
  • If its relevant, the error(s) occurred when I exported with a non standard scaling factor of 8%, chosen purely to fit the plan on a single sheet of A4 whilst showing the maximum amount of detail.

On reading Kaspersky's 'more details' section there is a suggestion that Templot may be trying to access a problematic area of memory. This may explain why Kaspersky is happy with Templot 99.9% of the time and only objects when I try to execute one specific command.

I always update Kaspersky to the latest definition file each time I turn on the computer before I use any application.
I can simply ignore the message, although the Kaspersky warning window remains on the screen until I go into Kaspersky and take definite action to ignore the warning. Naturally I don't like to do this.

I will try out another computer security system next week, and see if I have the same problems. I will report back.

Many thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Patrick

posted: 24 Feb 2017 17:28

Ariels Girdle

Interestingly Panda antivirus has just treated Templot as a virus after accepting it for a very long time. I found the quarantined file and reinstated it. Everything seems fine now. Maybe Kaspersky has a similar quarantine folder enabling you to restore and accept the risk on Templot?

posted: 24 Feb 2017 19:28

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Patrick,

Do you really need Kaspersky on Windows 10 ?

Windows 10 comes with its own anti-virus program called Windows Defender. It may not be the most all-singing ultra powerful anti-virus program, but it deals with all common threats and 99% of the rest -- with the great advantage that it "just works" in the background. No endless pop-up messages, no nagging requests for subscriptions, no noticeable effect on system performance.

Unless you are in the habit of visiting dodgy web sites, Windows Defender seems to be all that a sensible user needs. It is all I'm using on my Windows 10 system and I have had no problems after a couple of years.

N.B. if you install some other anti-virus, Windows Defender turns itself off. So having installed Kaspersky you would need to turn it on again.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Windows 10 Possible Problem
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020