topic: 2992Antivirus problem
author remove search highlighting

posted: 25 Feb 2017 15:12

David Long

Manchester - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I have just tried to load the latest Templot upgrade but my antivirus (Avast) has spotted something it doesn't like. It appeared to be blocking it and my desktop short cut has disappeared but all my files are still visible on my hard drive. I could possibly turn off my antivirus temporarily but without the short cut I can't get into Templot even though it is still in my hard drive. Any advice would be appreciated. In the meantime I have transferred my box files to a memory stick so that they won't be lost. I still have to try to get the upgrade onto my laptop and am anticipating the same problem.

David

posted: 25 Feb 2017 15:24

John Shelley

St Ciers Sur Gironde 33820 - France

Not much consolation to you David, but my antivirus, Avira, isn't worried by the update.

Cheers for now
John from 33820 St Ciers sur Gironde

posted: 25 Feb 2017 15:51

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi David,

Your files won't disappear.

Did your anti-virus block it while you were downloading the file, or installing the update?

Did you let Templot do the update automatically, or download it yourself?

If Templot won't start from the icon on the desktop, click the Windows Start button, and then type:

run Templot

in the Search box.

Templot 214a should start up, and then it will download and install the update.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 25 Feb 2017 15:57

David Long

The problem was when I was installing the update. The antivirus went away to examine the file and seemed to accept that it was ok but somehow it managed to delete the quick link icon from the desktop. All the Templot files are visible in my hard drive but without the shortcut I didn't know how to access them. The shortcut still appears in 'all programs' but a message says that it is inoperable and do I want to delete it. Strange thing is that the last update (a couple of weeks ago?) was accepted with no problem.

David

posted: posted: 25 Feb 2017 16:06

David Long

When I ask to 'Start Templot' in the search box I get the following message:
"The item 'templot_2.exe'that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly.
Do you want to delete this shortcut?"

David

25 Feb 2017 16:06

Martin Wynne

Hi David,

Was this while Templot was updating automatically, or did you download and install the file yourself?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 25 Feb 2017 16:08

David Long

Automatic update.

David

posted: 25 Feb 2017 16:25

Martin Wynne

Thanks David.

Please go to

http://templot.com/martweb/templot_upgrade.htm

Click on the red links at the bottom and make a note of the details.

Then download the update file, right-click on it and select "Run as administrator".

Make sure the Setup dialog is saying:   C:\TEMPLOT_DEV

Do not change it to "Program Files" or anything which contains a space.

p.s. To mid-day today there have been 87 downloads of 214b with only 2 reports of any problems.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 25 Feb 2017 16:45

David Long

Thanks, Martin. After a couple more apparent rejections I can now access Templot. As I said, the last upgrade wasn't a problem so I'm puzzled as to why this one was so difficult.

David

posted: 25 Feb 2017 16:48

Martin Wynne

David Long wrote:
After a couple more apparent rejections I can now access Templot. As I said, the last upgrade wasn't a problem so I'm puzzled as to why this one was so difficult.
Hi David,

Which anti-virus program are you using? Which version of Windows? Which browser?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 25 Feb 2017 16:52

David Long

Windows 7 with Avast anti-virus. Been using this combination for some years.

David

posted: 25 Feb 2017 17:05

Raymond

Bexhill-on-sea - United Kingdom

Windows 7 Professional and Bitdefender. Bitdefender invoked ransomeware warning but once Templot was identifed as an OK program, it worked fine and loaded as expected.

posted: 25 Feb 2017 18:01

Bob Juleff

Newcastle, Shropshire - United Kingdom

Just to let you know, I too have had difficulty with the automatic update, experiencing the same problems with my anti virus as affected David and Raymond.

I have now successfully updated using Martin's link above although I didn't need to run as administrator or anything thereafter.

I am running Windows 10 with Bullguard antivirus.

Bob

posted: 25 Feb 2017 19:34

Martin Wynne

Hello Bob, Raymond,

Thanks for the reports.

Did you have any problems with the previous 214a update a month ago? There is no difference in the system or installation, only the program file itself has minor changes.

I was hoping to adopt a little and often approach to the updates, to avoid getting a lot of half-forgotten loose ends needing to be finished before an update is ready. Which is what happened with 214a, leading to more than 12 months delay between updates.

Bob, do you feel you need an anti-virus with Windows 10? I have been happy to rely on the built-in Windows Defender, which most commentators suggest is sufficient. Certainly I haven't seen any problems, or mostly even knowing it is there. It runs a daily scan and updates just like other anti-virus programs.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 25 Feb 2017 21:22

David Long

I ran the update on my laptop later which uses the same Windows 7/Avast combination as the desktop. Avast did halt proceedings a couple of times and did a quick check but, having found nothing amiss, allowed the update to proceed.
As 214a loaded with no problem I was rather surprised to find a difficulty with 214b.
Thanks again for your help, Martin.

David

posted: 25 Feb 2017 21:29

Martin Wynne

Thanks David.

When Avast is looking for something amiss, what are the messages displayed? What does it say it is looking for? What does it think it might find?

Did it say anything similar for 214a?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 25 Feb 2017 21:42

David Long

Martin,

I can't remember word-for-word but it suggested that there was something unusual in the program so it did a scan. It then said it needed further investigation and it would get back to me in 63 minutes! There was an option to say that I trusted the program which I clicked and then closed it but it was apparent at this point that I had lost the icon for the short cut. On looking at the various Templot programs in my hard drive it did appear that they may have been updated but I had no way of confirming it.
When I updated via the download from the Templot site, as you suggested, it still did a couple of scans but then confirmed that the program was safe.
214a went through with no problem at all which made the 214b situation more surprising.
If I get any problems such as this in future I will try to get screen shots which may help investigation.
Happy now to have my beloved Templot working as it should!

David

posted: 26 Feb 2017 00:07

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Just reporting no problems with 214b, except Bullguard quarantined it and asked if it was OK to run.

system: Windows 10

Godders

posted: 26 Feb 2017 00:29

Rick

Australia

Templot runs on my Toshiba notebook. It is running Windows10 with Windows Defender in the background. No issues here at all with any installations of Templot.

Best regards,
Rick
Last edited on 26 Feb 2017 00:31 by Rick
posted: 26 Feb 2017 07:58

Raymond

Bexhill-on-sea - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Hello Bob, Raymond,

Thanks for the reports.

Did you have any problems with the previous 214a update a month ago? There is no difference in the system or installation, only the program file itself has minor changes.

I was hoping to adopt a little and often approach to the updates, to avoid getting a lot of half-forgotten loose ends needing to be finished before an update is ready. Which is what happened with 214a, leading to more than 12 months delay between updates.

Bob, do you feel you need an anti-virus with Windows 10? I have been happy to rely on the built-in Windows Defender, which most commentators suggest is sufficient. Certainly I haven't seen any problems, or mostly even knowing it is there. It runs a daily scan and updates just like other anti-virus programs.

regards,

Martin.

I had no problems with the previous upgrade.  Browser is Firefox by the way.

posted: 26 Feb 2017 11:24

Bob Juleff

Newcastle, Shropshire - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Hello Bob, Raymond,

Thanks for the reports.

regards,

Martin.

Hi Martin

Yes, I had a similar problem with 214a.  It seemed to load until about halfway through when Bullguard stopped proceedings and quarantined the file.  I couldn't work out how to unquarantine it so I just quit the process and hoped for the best.  My shortcut icon was still on the desktop and I was able to get in and use Templot normally albeit warily.

As for Bullguard, I am happy to continue with it as I have a morbid distrust of Microsoft...

Bob

posted: 27 Feb 2017 08:16

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Downloaded the new version onto both the PC and laptop with no problems WIN 7 and AVG anti virus.

Phil

posted: 27 Feb 2017 10:29

Judi R

Sutton-on-Sea - United Kingdom

I am using Win 7 Pro and AVG anti-virus. When I want to install any program AVG always pops up and asks me if I'm sure I want to run this and Templot is no different. I simply click to accept and it installs and runs perfectly.

Judi R

posted: 27 Feb 2017 12:26

Nigel Brown

New version downloaded and installed OK. W10 + AVG

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Antivirus problem
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020