topic: 3009New 7mm Project
author remove search highlighting

posted: 11 Apr 2017 20:03

Josh C

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Good Evening,
I just thought I'd start a new topic to show you what I have been working on recently, and for any feedback on what other people think of the plan and for some guidance on a few finishing touches for this design.

I have recently been working on a project with a friend of mine, who has recently started out in 7mm. As you will see from the attached photo and file. The project consists of two parts; a permanent fixed running loop with fiddle yard and a integrated layout that has been designed to exhibit.

The outside loop, which contains a double slip, two points and a passing loop on one side and a ladder fiddleyard on the other side. This has been designed based on 32mm Peco track work, this part of the layout has already been built and is just about up and running. The fixed part of the layout has been designed like this so we have somewhere to continuously run locos and to allow friends to run there 0 gauge locomotives which may not be suitable for the finer gauge on the main layout. The plan also allows something to be run on the outside loop, yet still allows the inner loop and fiddleyard to be ran independently.

The second part has been designed so it can be operated as part of the fixed outside layout but so it can also be operated at an exhibition. When at home in the garage, the layout can be operated via the branch line exit and the main line will effectively be used as a head shunt. When at an exhibition the main running track will be utilised with it's own traverser and a secondary traverser or fiddle yard will be bolted onto the branch line track. 

Although the current file shows the layout built with 7 baseboards in a row, the intention is to have 4, 4ft boards and 1 3ft board (which are shown as track centre line outlines) then a trapezium shaped board which will reverse the layout in a "U" style followed by another 4ft baseboard - This is to allow maximum access when at home and during construction. When exhibited this additional trapezium shaped board will not be used but and an additional 4ft scenic board will be bolted on instead. Hopefully this makes sense from the attached pictures. (I notice the plan has changed slightly across these two pictures but is mainly there to show the two baseboard arrangements)

The main design constraints of the layout is to utilise the space as much as possible, whilst still being able to operate the layout via the branch line road when at home. Additionally, we wanted to create something that was simple, flowing and not to over cramped. The other limiting factor is the single radius on the right hand of the garage.

The exhibition part of the layout will be built to 31.5mm, and will be loosely based on a fictional Southern Region station, somewhere down towards the coast with the possibility of utilising holiday traffic. The largest loco is likely to be a King Arthur, but mainly it will be nothing bigger than a T9/T3. To suit my interests, it is also intended to be built so that the buildings could be changed to reflect a Eastern region station giving the option to run two era's of stock if required.

As you will see there are a few complex pieces of point work, mainly the diamond crossover arrangement which will lead into a double slip, which I am currently struggling to design myself in Templot. Being fairly confident this is the final draft of the plan in terms of the layout plan, I am now currently trying to finalise it by building a proper slip in Templot and sort out the sleeper spacing and orientation. However, if someone would like the challenge who is more confident, and probably a lot quicker and familiar with Templot and would perhaps like to "have a go" at sorting this part out and perhaps some help with the sleeper spacing and orientation around this part of the layout, it would be most appreciated. Alternatively, any ideas, suggestions and pictures to help with this would also be greatly appreciated.

As said above, I've posted on here in the hope from feedback from others on the plan, and any potential bottle knecks/problems people can see before construction starts. We have taken delivery of 6, 4ft x 3ft 3 baseboards this week and one 3ft a 3ft 3 board, so we are hoping to finalise on a plan within the next couple of weeks.....!

This is the Boards set up as they would be at an Exhibition - Obviously it cannot be setup like this at home due to the rooms constraints and would require two fiddle yards as described above, and hence the image below for home operation
1691_111500_100000000.jpg1691_111500_100000000.jpg

Baseboards setup for Garage Operation 
(The 3ft board that the bulk of the point work board has since been extended to a 4ft board)
1691_111501_410000000.jpg1691_111501_410000000.jpg

Attachment: attach_2405_3009_7mm_Garage_Layout.box     254
Last edited on 11 Apr 2017 20:06 by Josh C
posted: 12 Apr 2017 23:55

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hi Josh.
I have had a look at your project.
There are a number of things that need attention. Your double track curves are too close as they are at standard track spacing, which needs widening to avoid a conflict. I have done the double slip but there are issues with the positioning of the baseboard joints particularly the one through the diamond in the scissors. I have tried altering the geometry to improve things, but am coming to the conclusion that it will be rather more complex than that to resolve. I will have another look tomorrow. Have attached the box file so far.
Regards
Tony W.
Attachment: attach_2411_3009_7mm_garage_layout_2017_04_12_2351_47.box     233

posted: 13 Apr 2017 04:52

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Josh, Tony,

The double-slip is on 62 metres radius. That's so close to straight I think it would be sensible to make it dead straight and realign the adjacent templates.

It changes by only a few thou, about half a rail-width at each end, but just enough to mean you can then use a straight edge to align the rails during construction.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 14 Apr 2017 18:54

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hi Josh.
Well I think this is the best I can do with your plan and hope it doesn't cause too much disruption with what you have already built. I have widened the track spacing on the double track curves as best I can and used transition curves to ease the reverse curves, which were very abrupt. Altered the scissors type diamond arrangement to get the vees a bit further from the baseboard joint and less problematic with the timbering there and sorted out a few misaligned track joins. I have also taken Martin's comments into account. I will leave you to do the rest of the timber shoving.
Regards
Tony.
Attachment: attach_2412_3009_7mm_garage_layout_2017_04_14_1836_41.box     269

posted: 3 May 2017 10:33

Josh C

I'd just like to post a quick reply to thank you both for your feedback and modifications to the original plan. With a few more amendments the file has been printed, stuck together and we have just started to construct some of the turnouts. Hopefully I'll be able to update with some pictures in due course :)

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > New 7mm Project
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020