topic: 3027Annoying information panel and joining tracks
author remove search highlighting

posted: 19 May 2017 13:43

Stephen Freeman

Sandbach - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
1)This is more of I wish it wouldn't :).

I find that when I select a track or rail etc to alter the curve etc, invariably a "helpful" little dialogue pops up right over the bit I am trying to alter. I usually have to move the said box so that I can actually see what I am trying to do. No doubt some will say it's a helpful feature, but if we have to have it can it please be slightly offset?

2) Inevitably there are times when you want to join two tracks end on but you don't want to alter either of the other two ends for whatever reason. It would be so very useful to do this, adjusting any small mismatch with radii alterations perhaps etc. Templot has grown so much over the years, that there are now many functions of which I have made but scant use. Is this one of them and if it is what is it? Any clues people please. I don't mean F7, useful though it is, as that impacts on the other end of the track.

posted: 19 May 2017 14:15

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Borg-Rail wrote:
This is more of I wish it wouldn't :).

1) I find that when I select a track or rail etc to alter the curve etc, invariably a "helpful" little dialogue pops up right over the bit I am trying to alter. I usually have to move the said box so that I can actually see what I am trying to do. No doubt some will say it's a helpful feature, but if we have to have it can it please be slightly offset?
Hi Stephen,

Which dialog do you mean? If you mean the mouse action panel:

mouse_panel2.gifmouse_panel2.gif

You can remove it when it's present by pressing the DELETE key on the keyboard, or prevent it appearing in the first place by clicking the action > mouse action options > hide mouse action panel menu option.

If you mean the template name labels, you can hide them by pressing the the END key on the keyboard, or by clicking the trackpad > hide name labels menu option.

If you mean something else, please provide a screenshot, because my telepathy equipment is broken.  :)

2) Inevitably there are times when you want to join two tracks end on but you don't want to alter either of the other two ends for whatever reason. It would be so very useful to do this, adjusting any small mismatch with radii alterations perhaps etc. Templot has grown so much over the years, that there are now many functions of which I have made but scant use. Is this one of them and if it is what is it? Any clues people please. I don't mean F7, useful though it is, as that impacts on the other end of the track.

I think you are looking for the extend/shorten to meet functions:

extend_shorten_trans5a.pngextend_shorten_trans5a.png

This is essentially the same as using the F4 mouse action to change the overall length of the template, but Templot does it for you (and without reference to the fixing peg) to create an exact template boundary. More info:

http://templot.com/companion/link_existing.html

If you are looking for a function which will automatically correct mismatches, I'm afraid there isn't one. There is no way Templot can know which of the many adjustments is the one you require, or how it would impact on the adjacent templates.

If you work methodically, you shouldn't get any mismatches. That means extending and splitting templates, inserting turnouts in them, using the tools menu functions.

Even if you use F7 snapping, the templates should normally align themselves without mismatches.

If you just grab and copy templates at random and try to align them by eye, some mismatches are inevitable and there is no way Templot can fix them for you.

If you post a screenshot of a specific mismatch, I will try to suggest how it could have been avoided.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 19 May 2017 14:46

Stephen Freeman

Hi,
Thanks for the info about the delete key, never thought of that one.

I had looked briefly at the function extend/shorten but hadn't tried it as I wasn't sure it would do what I wanted. It probably does, so I'll give that a go.

posted: 19 May 2017 15:04

Martin Wynne

Borg-Rail wrote:
Thanks for the info about the delete key, never thought of that one.
Hi Stephen,

Alternatively you can click the upper line of text on the mouse action panel -- quick when you know, but not very intuitive.

See: http://templot.com/martweb/gs_mouse_notes.htm

From which:

"Sometimes the mouse action panel will obstruct your view of the drawing. You can drag it and re-size it in the usual way, or you can hide it without cancelling the mouse action by clicking the upper line of text, or by pressing the DELETE key on the keyboard. Pressing DELETE again will show it again."

That text has been there for over 17 years. :)

Martin.

posted: 19 May 2017 16:08

Stephen Freeman

Maybe it has but it hasn't been much of a pain until this week. The extend/shorten function seems to work for some of the joints, others with a small error and others it doesn't want to know about. I can live with that.

posted: 2 Jun 2017 06:35

Martin Wynne

Borg-Rail wrote:
The extend/shorten function seems to work for some of the joints, others with a small error and others it doesn't want to know about. I can live with that.
Hi Stephen,

If you find a situation where the function fails even where you know it should find a precise boundary, please post the details and/or your .box file so that I can check it for a possible bug.

For example where you created the original boundary using the split functions, or using the pegging functions, or using the tools menu, or using the make transition function, make diamond at intersection function, etc.

If there is a genuine mismatch, for example where you aligned or adjusted templates by eye, I'm afraid there is no way the function can work, even if the mismatch is so small that it's not obvious on the screen.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > I wish it would... > Annoying information panel and joining tracks
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020