click image to open Templot Club in a new tab
Templot club top logo
looking for Templot? - (free)

you are not logged in  - Login | Join

receive all messages by email: info

Recent Topics
Front Page  Search  Image Gallery  Gallery Upload  My Account  Members  Help  
make a donation  
please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors Templot Companion - User Guide
            messages archive on Yahoo
page trail:  Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > 0-MF curved points. A question of radii ?
main Templot web site

0-MF curved points. A question of radii ?

Start new topic   Reply blank   Printer friendly 
  Rate this topic  
AuthorMessage
 Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
1st message | this message only posted: 2 Jun 2017 11:50
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank 
madscientist

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Oh collected gurus 

For my sins , I'm designing a large 35 feet 15 foot O gauge layout for my club and building " some " of the turnouts. As I have a lot of 00-Sf work under my belt , how hard can it be ?????!!!
Reading the  Gauge O guild trackwork handbook, they mention that the respective radii of curved points should be  1:1.5 to avoid fine angle at the " V" and potentially long leads on the switch blades , with the comment that wheel drop could occur. 

Now my space contraints mean my main line double track inner curve is at 6 ' ( sorry I'm an old money man ! ) And I need to diverge inside that to access the goods line , that divergence radius , I'd like to keep to a min of 5'6" 

I haven't temploted this yet.  But even in O-MF am I storing up issues here 

Thanks 

Dave 

Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
2nd message | this message only posted: 2 Jun 2017 12:53
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Please do not send requests for help direct to me via email or PM.

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
madscientist wrote: avoid fine angle at the " V" and potentially long leads on the switch blades , with the comment that wheel drop could occur.Hi Dave,

This is the sort of utter rubbish which is still too prevalent within the hobby.

Wheel drop is caused by the flangeway gap being too WIDE, or the wheels being too NARROW, whichever way you want to look at it.

The ANGLE of a crossing, and the LENGTH from the knuckle to the vee is irrelevant.

It's true that if the flangway gap is too wide, or the wheels are too narrow, then wheel drop will occur and it will be worse for flatter crossing angles.

But if that is not the case, NO wheel drop will occur regardless of the crossing angle.

The width of the gap across between the wing rails immediately in front of the crossing nose is the SAME regardless of the crossing angle. If the wheel is wider than this, as it should be, it is physically impossible for it to fall into the gap.

You have ensured that your wheels will be wider than that gap by adopting the 0-MF standard, so you can safely build curved turnouts as long as you like.

The note about switch blades is also misleading. They are no longer in a curved turnout than in the same sized straight turnout.

It's true that if folks draw simple curved templates by hand using tangential radii they will create some unnecessarily long thin switch blades. This also happens in the Trax program for example in creating curved turnouts. I often see curved turnouts on exhibition layouts where the switch blades are far too long and could sensibly have been shortened if prototype designs had been followed.

If you create your curved turnouts for 0-MF in Templot, you won't have any problems.

See for example:

http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/heyside-7mm-l-y-late-50s-early-60s.552/page-62#post-118358

(70 pages).

regards,

Martin.        

3rd message | this message only posted: 2 Jun 2017 13:43
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Please do not send requests for help direct to me via email or PM.

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
p.s. Dave,

Having said all that, getting 5ft-6in out of 6ft-0in is pushing it a bit, and would mean an F-18 or F-20 turnout in 0-MF. Which is the longest normally found on the prototype for bullhead. Making a 1:20 vee from rail is no 5-minute task.

If you could ease the outer radius to 1870mm (6ft-1.6in), and set a generic (or curviform) V-crossing, you could do it at E-16 which is bit easier to build, and saves some space:

Martin.

4th message | this message only posted: 2 Jun 2017 15:16
Jim Guthrie
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
madscientist wrote: Now my space contraints mean my main line double track inner curve is at 6 ' ( sorry I'm an old money man ! ) And I need to diverge inside that to access the goods line , that divergence radius , I'd like to keep to a min of 5'6" 

I haven't temploted this yet.  But even in O-MF am I storing up issues here 
Dave,

I did almost exactly that formation for the trailing cross-over on Heyside for Richard Lambert - at the signalbox end of the layout - and it has worked very well with all his locomotives.   Heyside is laid to O-MF standards and the minimum radius throughout was supposed to be six feet but we had to break that rule to make this crossover.    I don't have the Templot file since the work was done on a laptop which no longer functions but I'll check with Richard Lambert to see if he still has the file around.

Jim.

5th message | this message only posted: 2 Jun 2017 19:36
madscientist

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Thanks Martin , I had a feeling that the gauge O guild trackwork technical sheets had a whiff of male cow manure about it.

And thanks to the others for their additions and comments

I'll post the box file sometime this month for comment. The layout is a cut down version of Badmington aimed at WR stream diesel transistion period

This is topic ID = 3035     Page created at 18:24 (local time)  
You can type a quick reply to this topic here.

Click in the box to begin.

But to reply to an individual message, or to include images, attachments and formatted text, use the reply buttons on each message above.

To start a new topic in this forum, click the Start new topic button below.
To start a new topic in a different forum, click the Forum Jump drop-down list below.

Start new topic 

click to jump to a different forum:     Back to top of page

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > 0-MF curved points. A question of radii ?
about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Old Templot Companion Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines only

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2017