topic: 3038Bosmellin - 4SF (OO-SF)
author remove search highlighting

posted: 20 Jun 2017 13:37

RichardS

Norwich - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Previously I have posted some half-hearted attempts at track designs - Hellesdon and Oby. The latter is my small adventure into P4 and will progress. Meanwhile however, lurking in the background, has been my long term plan to make a model based on Boscarne Junction. I have always liked rural branch lines and the history and operation of the Bodmin and Wadebridge Railway combining SR and (G)WR services is appealing.
When I discovered 4-SF/OO-SF I was immediately taken by the concept. Although Oby will be P4 Bosmellin will not. P4 requires more time and has a higher cost (wheels, chassis, etc etc) than 4mm other scales and I can afford to allocate neither at this time to a layout of this size. 

Bosmellin is intended to be a portable layout. However, the space I have available 3.47m x 2.54m is only just large enough for the outside dimensions of the track plan basing this on a minimum radius anywhere of 916mm (3ft to all intents and purposes) and ensuring that the SR loop and Siding One (the exchange with the GWR) can accommodate the Bodmin North branch passenger train - a P set - when augmented by a third carriage and headed by an 'N' Class.

Thus the scenic areas outside the track will be created as separate modules. While the track plan has turned out to be an almost regular oval when surrounded by the scenery I intend it to be more 'askew.'

While the whole Templot plan has been created to 16.2 gauge I will probably limit this to the sidings, loops and points. The running tracks will be 16.5 I think as they are mostly curved.

It has taken me several days to get to this stage with this plan and I know it is not perfect. Sleepers need attending to at the very least  I have used a variety of V crossing and switch versions depending on what works best in a given place. T5 has a reverse curve so a curviform crossing has been used.

In an ideal world the whole junction arrangement would be more to the left but I was unable to fashion the plan like this due to the radius of the points on the 'Wenford' Line (that's what looks like a branch) falling below 3ft.

Why 3ft? I will probably use three link couplings for wagon rakes that do not need uncoupling and of course in time, who knows, It could be converted to P4 just by changing the track (only joking!)

I would welcome any comments and advice. Please.

Thanks for reading and looking
RichardS
Norwich

Attachment: attach_2451_3038_Bosmellin_9.box     298

posted: 20 Jun 2017 15:00

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Richard,

This turnout was mismatched at all 3 boundaries. To fix it without changing your other alignments I used a 9ft-5.6 turnout. Although very short, the contraflexure means the radii remain well within your limits. With a bit more tweaking it could be changed to a more likely prototype 1:5.5 angle. Or with more tweaking to a B-6.

2_200955_080000000.png2_200955_080000000.png

You have made very little use of transition curves, which gives the design a bit of a train-set look. Also there was a mismatch at the top right. To show what I mean I have introduced 3 transitions (marked yellow bars). You can see that it produces a better "flow" effect -- and also smoother running.

.box file below (no other changes).

regards,

Martin.
Attachment: attach_2452_3038_richard_boscarne_mods.box     248

posted: 20 Jun 2017 16:02

Martin Wynne

Hi Richard,

Here is a version with a B-6 which you may prefer.

As you can see, I have smoothed out some of the other template boundaries with transition curves.

2_201100_280000000.png2_201100_280000000.png
regards,

Martin.
Attachment: attach_2453_3038_richard_boscarne_mods_b6.box     254

posted: 20 Jun 2017 20:21

RichardS

Norwich - United Kingdom

Hello Martin, thank you so much for doing those bits. I think I prefer the B6.
I had overlooked transition curves I must admit and hadn't really realised how 'fixed' it all looked.
As you might surmise Bosmellin 9 is the 9th attempt - but there were some #As and Bs too in earlier manifestations!
I think I was so pleased to have completed something (almost).
When I've attended to the sleepers I will post an update.
Thanks again.
Richard

posted: 24 Jun 2017 10:37

RichardS

Norwich - United Kingdom

Good morning, here is an update but not the one I was hoping to  provide.
I had decided that I would modify the curves to ease them a bit and move the points to the left along the plan.
So far so good.
I spent some time looking at transition curves and trying them out on a test plan. Then moved onto my new v12. And this happened.
App went unresponsive after the lines appeared but now seems to be stable but I am loathe to touch anything for the moment.
I imagine I have activated something unintentionally but I do not know what. 
My apologies if it is obvious.
Richard 

Attachment: attach_2455_3038_Screenshot_(1).png     581
Last edited on 24 Jun 2017 10:39 by RichardS
posted: 24 Jun 2017 10:41

RichardS

Norwich - United Kingdom

And here's the box file which I have labelled 12a in the hope that v12 is not damaged.R. :?

Attachment: attach_2456_3038_Bosmellin_12a.box     259
Last edited on 24 Jun 2017 10:42 by RichardS
posted: 24 Jun 2017 11:00

Martin Wynne

Hi Richard,

Don't worry, you haven't broken anything.

Click geometry > constant radius.

For explanation, see: topic 1391

regards,

Martin.

posted: 24 Jun 2017 11:21

Martin Wynne

p.s. that template wasn't aligned to the turnout on the left.

Here is something which may be nearer to what you were looking for.

Attachment: attach_2457_3038_richard_bosmellin_curve.box     334

posted: 25 Jun 2017 09:53

RichardS

Norwich - United Kingdom

Thanks Martin. 
I'm in good company if Gordon of Eastwood fame has also seen the phenomena. :)
Glad too that it's a known 'system feature.'  My PC is quite old now and has a few moments so I expect the processor capability is lacking as you suggest. I've added RAM and minimized all the other demands on the processor but I know it's nearly time for retirement. (Although it should run Win10 it didn't do it very well and I reverted to 8.1 so it's built in obsolescence is starting to kick in)

Thanks for attending to that curve. I was trying to even out a change in radius after that turnout where I initially had a join between two templates. I hadn't noticed it wasn't aligned.

I think I'm nearly there with the plan though. 

Onward!
Best wishes
Richard

posted: 26 Jun 2017 12:12

RichardS

Norwich - United Kingdom

Well, I think I'm there. I've flattened out the outer line. Shortened a couple of switches and added several transition curves where they looked as though they were needed. I don't think it looks too bad.
Radii are all within 916 mm and the two middle loops are 1290 and 1483 mm respectively.

Thanks for your guidance as ever Martin if you have 5 mins for a quick look I'd be very grateful. I'm certain your very expert eye will find something though. :)

Kind regards
Richard
Attachment: attach_2458_3038_Bosmellin_2.box     292

posted: 18 Mar 2018 13:35

RichardS

Norwich - United Kingdom

Well here I am still busily Templotting away but I think I'm a little bit less baffled than before. Having now joined the ranks of senior citizens and living in the lap of luxury on my newly paid pensions (ha!) I have a bit more time and am determined to resolve my Boscarne Junction 'derailments.'

Having decided that I would not be satisfied with the compression and compromises with the curved layout which was sort of finalised 12 months ago - basically squeezing it in to 3.5x2.5 metres was just not right - I have been working on the 1907 1:2500 map and the box and shape files are attached.

Secretly I'm quite pleased with this version. The radii are all big, I've managed to get some transition curves looking right (too me) and while it is still too long in practice I feel I've got the general feel of the place.

The 1907 map does not show Siding 2 which was added later. I did find a 1964 1:2500 map at old-maps online and have used this as a guide as to where Siding 2 was laid. 

Chief problem is the point at the East end linking the exchange line (siding 1) to both the Northern SR line and the Southern GWR line (that'll confuse 'em in Swindon and York!)  I tried a variety of turnout profiles but have ended up with a little bit of curved track between the two.

Essentially the two important elements are the fan of points near the level crossing and the points splitting the lines. I've grouped these as Green and Maroon on the plans.

So here is another 'Aunt Sally' I'd appreciate any critique or advice. 
I think I'm there in principle.

Many thanks
Richard

Attachment: attach_2655_3038_Boscarne_Junction_18032018.box     256

posted: 18 Mar 2018 14:57

RichardS

Norwich - United Kingdom

And here is the Shapes file.
RichardS

Attachment: attach_2656_3038_Boscarne_Junction_1907_1_to_2500_and_siding_18032018.sk81     286

posted: 20 Mar 2018 20:28

Martin Wynne

RichardS wrote:
Chief problem is the point at the East end linking the exchange line (siding 1) to both the Northern SR line and the Southern GWR line (that'll confuse 'em in Swindon and York!)  I tried a variety of turnout profiles but have ended up with a little bit of curved track between the two.
Hi Richard,

That bit of curved track contained a reverse curve which didn't align very well. In re-aligning it, I have ended up working over most of your plan. It is obviously entirely up to you whether to take any notice. :)

2_201515_050000000.png2_201515_050000000.png

You didn't post the BGS file, so I obtained the map myself from NLS. I used the georeferenced version, and I think you probably used the original OS sheet version (Find By Place), because there was a difference in the map projection and I need to rotate the whole thing a fraction to align with the georeferenced map.

Generally it is better to use the georeferenced version if possible, because Templot can be more accurate in scaling it to the world coordinates than to the old OS County Series mapping:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=19&lat=50.4740&lon=-4.7611&layers=168&b=1

files attached.

cheers,

Martin.
Attachment: attach_2659_3038_boscarne_georef.box     256

posted: 20 Mar 2018 20:29

Martin Wynne

BGS background shapes file
Attachment: attach_2660_3038_boscarne_georef.bgs     255

posted: 20 Mar 2018 20:30

Martin Wynne

SK81 image file
Attachment: attach_2661_3038_boscarne_georef.sk81     230

posted: 22 Mar 2018 19:29

RichardS

Norwich - United Kingdom

Fabulous, thank you Martin. I'm sorry for making work. But this is it; no question about taking notice. I have already started on the alterations to my Railway Parlour which means taking over most of the rest of the garage.The stake is in the ground!
Best wishes. 
Richard. 

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > Bosmellin - 4SF (OO-SF)
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020