topic: 3046Making a start on shoving timbers
author remove search highlighting

posted: 16 Jul 2017 21:22

d827kelly

Coventry - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
With kind help from here and the Scalefour forum, I've got a workable plan that both myself and my co-operator are happy with.

Now I need to turn to sorting out something I've not really looked at before now, timber shoving.

I've looked at the prototype for the area the layout is based upon, Shepperton, and it seems to suggest straight-on timbering, which is what it is already, so that should be fine.

I've made a start on the crossover in the station/platform area. Lengthened some, moved others. I think I'm getting there. Some feedback before I carry on with other points would be helpful.

2356_161622_220000000.png2356_161622_220000000.png
Attachment: attach_2468_3046_Shepperton_-_v11.0.4_-_Attempting_Timber_Shoving.box     227

posted: 16 Jul 2017 23:20

d827kelly

Done some googling and further reading of various timber shoving threads, etc, Attached is attempt at shoving timbers on all the turnouts on the plan. I think I've mostly got it right, probably needs further tweaking and may have used more longer sleepers than would have been normal (era is 1959-62, BR(S)).

Attachment: attach_2469_3046_Shepperton_-_v11.0.4c__-_Attempting_Timber_Shoving.box     251

posted: 16 Jul 2017 23:55

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hi Kelly.
I have had a look at your first attempt posted earlier. You must not move the timbers supporting the crossings as you have done, only lengthen / shorten and twist them. Their spacing is predetermined by the crossing angle. This has been stated many times before but people still do it. Trying to timber crossovers correctly can be quite difficult sometimes. It is often easier to adjust the track spacing slightly to get the timbers to align before attempting anything else. I have reset the timbering of the platform crossover and adjusted the track centres to 44.9mm which gives a much better starting point. The ideal spacing will vary according to the crossing angle. I have realigned the approach curve to match. Take a look at which timbers I have shoved as a guide to what to do. I have only lengthened the turnout timbers without moving any. The sleepers on the exit roads have been shoved / moved forward / back to fit into the gaps between the timbers of the adjacent turnouts. I have also altered the turnout timbering of the yard turnout to give you an example of a correct way to do things for your period.

Regards
Tony.
Attachment: attach_2470_3046_kelly_shepperton_timbering_revised.box     257

posted: 16 Jul 2017 23:59

d827kelly

Tony W wrote:
Hi Kelly.
I have had a look at your first attempt posted earlier. You must not move the timbers supporting the crossings as you have done, only lengthen / shorten and twist them. Their spacing is predetermined by the crossing angle. This has been stated many times before but people still do it. Trying to timber crossovers correctly can be quite difficult sometimes. It is often easier to adjust the track spacing slightly to get the timbers to align before attempting anything else. I have reset the timbering of the platform crossover and adjusted the track centres to 44.9mm which gives a much better starting point. The ideal spacing will vary according to the crossing angle. I have realigned the approach curve to match. Take a look at which timbers I have shoved as a guide to what to do. I have only lengthened the turnout timbers without moving any. The sleepers on the exit roads have been shoved / moved forward / back to fit into the gaps between the timbers of the adjacent turnouts. I have also altered the turnout timbering of the yard turnout to give you an example of a correct way to do things for your period.

Regards
Tony.
Hi Tony,

Thanks. I thought I might have been going wrong in some aspects, but unless you have a go and make mistakes you don't learn i find.

I'll have a proper look tomorrow and compare what I did with what you have done so I can clearly see what you mean.

Thanks,

Kelly

posted: 17 Jul 2017 16:44

Tony W

Hi Kelly.
On taking a further quick look I notice that the track spacing between the two curved running lines is at standard spacing. This needs to be widened considerably for the radius used. I will have a closer look later. Better to find out now than later. I know of a layout where sadly this was not discovered until the track had been laid.
They who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Regards
Tony.

posted: 17 Jul 2017 17:31

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Kelly,

Use tools > spacing-ring • dummy vehicle to check for clearance conflicts:

2_171227_450000000.png2_171227_450000000.png

regards,

Martin.

posted: 17 Jul 2017 18:58

John Palmer

When I posted the boxfile forming the basis of Kelly's current design on the Scalefour Society forum, I should probably have issued a stronger warning than I did that clearances should be tested - I plead guilty to having adopted standard spacings, as my principal concern was to arrive at a layout meeting the required operational criteria.

The attached boxfile widens the running line centres to 49mm.  This seems to maintain 6" clearances between dummy vehicles of 4-SUB dimensions, but may still not be aceptable.  I didn't alter the carriage line and shunting neck clearances as these already provided more than the standard six foot.

I've done some timber shoving which may or may not be to your taste.

I've also provided a trap at the approach to the outer crossover, which I think is what you require.  If, instead, you want to trap the 'oil terminal' points on the inside of the layout, the storage box includes a couple of single tongued traps in what I think are appropriate positions.

Attachment: attach_2471_3046_kelly_shepperton_mod_2017_07_17_1835_50.box     228

posted: 17 Jul 2017 19:28

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

John Palmer wrote:
I didn't alter the carriage line and shunting neck clearances as these already provided more than the standard six foot.
Hi John,

The standard for those is 10ft way (60.67mm centres) from a running line.

Or 9ft way minimum, 56.67mm centres, where space constraints make it unavoidable -- for example between bridge parapets.

However, often on a model we have our own space constraints. :)

Martin.

posted: 17 Jul 2017 20:45

John Palmer

Yes, I thought I had adopted the 10' spacing both between running line and carriage line and between carriage line and neck, but on re-visiting this I find that I must have adopted a rather smaller value close to nine foot - can't now recall why I did so.  I admit to having been lazy this time and not opening out the spacing of these tracks!

posted: 20 Jul 2017 02:43

d827kelly

Thanks for all your assistance and comments. Thanks also to John for his efforts over on the scalefour forum to get to the starting point at the start of this topic.

Always something to learn, I'm certainly in a position of lots to learn!

Unfortunately I've not been able to take a look at the changes due to being away from home and not having a computer with Templot set up on available at present until I am back home again.

Hopefully I can get the last niggles sorted out so I can make some kind of start with track building soon, but we'll see.

posted: 12 Sep 2017 15:32

d827kelly

Due ill health I've not been able to revisit this plan since July.

Now looking at it again, I'm trying to form a list of what changes are needed before laying can commence.

(no particular order):
1. finish timber shoving
2. Increase (where possible) track centres between running lines and sidings to 10ft (60.67mm)(currently 56mm.
3. Possibly increase spacing for the running curved lines to allow longer units later (most stock initially will be 2BIL/HAL, SUB/EPB and Mk1 based, but there is scope for more modern longer vehicles to be used, 455/466 etc).

Have I missed anything off that list?

EDIT: shoved a bit more, following Tony's guide. I've concentrated on the left hand 6ft of board space. Also added label prefixes.

Have I done things right in relation to 31 [station] - TR358, 32 [station] - PL353 and 29 [Station]- TR359?
Attachment: attach_2490_3046_kelly_shepperton_mod_2017_09_12_1612_13.box     276
Last edited on 12 Sep 2017 16:14 by d827kelly
posted: 13 Sep 2017 22:48

Tony W

Hi Kelly.
Sorry to learn you have not been well, I wondered why things went quiet.
As well as widening the track spacing with the sidings, the track spacing between the running lines should ideally be increased from 49mm to 52mm for the radius you are using.
Not sure about your timbering arrangement for that crossover. There are an awful lot of long timbers and they would in any case all be 12" wide crossing timbers rather than 10" timbering. I have attached what I think is a more likely scenario, although there are undoubtedly other solutions.
Regards
Tony.

Attachment: attach_2493_3046_kelly_shepperton_mod_2017_09_13_2236_39.box     221

posted: 13 Sep 2017 23:03

d827kelly

A combination of medication changes and my usual health problems being a bit of a pain (literally, morphine is a friend), but after July and August spent doing not a great deal I'm a bit better and refreshed at least now (upto June was rather hectic with DEMU Update work and a lot of shows, so it wore me out somewhat).

Yes, I'll look at widening the spacings (I've moved the outer siding on the right out a bit already, though more is needed, but too late to do more now).

I've made some changes since my earlier posting, having researched the location, it seems more than usual long timbers were used to support the crossings, possibly this is due to the 3rd rail to give more support where it has to switch from outside to inside (which it will in the station)?

A look at your revision and compared to photos of the area on flickr (admittedly a bit later than my time period, but I can live with that) It also seems to show that interlaced sleeping was not used in the area.
Attachment: attach_2494_3046_kelly_shepperton_mod_2017_09_13_2123_02.box     228
Last edited on 13 Sep 2017 23:06 by d827kelly
posted: 14 Sep 2017 15:42

Tony W

Hi Kelly.
Ah yes PE! Photographic Evidence is always the best reference source.
Whilst I accept that extra long crossing timbers are used throughout, for whatever reason, it should perhaps be born in mind that due to our unprototypically tight curves producing extra wide track spacing the result can be somewhat exaggerated.
Be that as it may, all the crossing timbers should be wide (4.00mm in this case), I have altered those that aren't, and spaced them more to the rail joints and made the timbering symmetrical with the crossing vee A timber the first through one in both cases.

Regards
Tony.
Attachment: attach_2495_3046_kelly_shepperton_mod_2017_09_14_1518_02.box     243

posted: 14 Sep 2017 17:04

d827kelly

Tony W wrote:
Hi Kelly.
Ah yes PE! Photographic Evidence is always the best reference source.
Whilst I accept that extra long crossing timbers are used throughout, for whatever reason, it should perhaps be born in mind that due to our unprototypically tight curves producing extra wide track spacing the result can be somewhat exaggerated.
Be that as it may, all the crossing timbers should be wide (4.00mm in this case), I have altered those that aren't, and spaced them more to the rail joints and made the timbering symmetrical with the crossing vee A timber the first through one in both cases.

Regards
Tony.
Thanks Tony. I'd only done the station two and the entrance to the sidings/coal area initially. I'll see if I can manage to get the spacing for the double track extended in a bit to allow for future use of more modern units if so required (better to allow for that than not I expect!).

posted: 14 Sep 2017 17:53

d827kelly

Made alterations to the plan to increase the spacing of the double curved tracks (I need to readd the trap point). I increased it to 56mm rather than 52mm, it should give plenty of room (unless that now looks too much?).

Made some minor changes to the plan on the Oil Terminal siding too. I've changed another turnout to B6 rather than B5.5 to make it easier for me to implement.
Attachment: attach_2496_3046_kelly_shepperton_mod_2017_09_14_1751_36.box     208

posted: 14 Sep 2017 20:17

d827kelly

Done some more Timber Shoving now for the remainder of the turnouts. If someone could take a look and see if I've introduced errors etc that would be great.

Thanks

Kelly2356_141516_540000000.png2356_141516_540000000.png
Attachment: attach_2497_3046_kelly_shepperton_mod_2017_09_14_2015_24.box     188

posted: 15 Sep 2017 12:40

Tony W

Hi Kelly.
Just had a look at your latest iteration. Largely there now I think apart from the alignment of the switch blades of the coal siding turnout (17) with the timbering, now sorted. Otherwise I have just tidied up a few areas where I thought the timbering could look better. Regarding the track spacing, too wide is better than too close. The stated spacings are a minima after all. You may also find the extra separation of benefit when you come to design your fiddle yard. I have also tidied up your storage box.
Good luck with building it.
Tony.

Edit.
PS. I note from the above posting that one of your baseboard joins is very close to the crossing of the yard turnout and appears to cut through the check rails. It would be better moved slightly to avoid this. Also be careful of your timbering generally where baseboard joins are concerned. Ideally the rails should be cut at 90 degrees and not follow the baseboard angle, if that makes sense. Did you post the background shapes for the baseboards, if so I must have missed it?
Attachment: attach_2498_3046_kelly_shepperton_mod_2017_09_15_1217_40.box     187
Last edited on 15 Sep 2017 12:50 by Tony W
posted: 15 Sep 2017 12:55

d827kelly

Tony W wrote:
Hi Kelly.
Just had a look at your latest iteration. Largely there now I think apart from the alignment of the switch blades of the coal siding turnout (17) with the timbering, now sorted. Otherwise I have just tidied up a few areas where I thought the timbering could look better. Regarding the track spacing, too wide is better than too close. The stated spacings are a minima after all. You may also find the extra separation of benefit when you come to design your fiddle yard. I have also tidied up your storage box.
Good luck with building it.
Tony.

Edit.
PS. I note from the above posting that one of your baseboard joins is very close to the crossing of the yard turnout and appears to cut through the check rails. It would be better moved slightly to avoid this. Also be careful of your timbering generally where baseboard joins are concerned. Ideally the rails should be cut at 90 degrees and not follow the baseboard angle, if that makes sense. Did you post the background shapes for the baseboards, if so I must have missed it?
Hi Tony, find attached the background shapes which show the baseboards. The forum limits to one upload at a time so I didn't add them previously.

I've made some more changes (mainly to the oil terminal to make it a bit longer).
Attachment: attach_2499_3046_kelly_shepperton_mod_17_07_07_0203_16.bgs     170

posted: 15 Sep 2017 12:58

d827kelly

2356_150801_590000000.png2356_150801_590000000.png2356_150802_280000000.png2356_150802_280000000.pngFind attached the changes I made before you posted Tony. It does mean the oil terminal point is now on a baseboard join, which I didn't notice until after i'd made changes.

I expect the joins are unavoidable without making the points too tight to work.

One idea I had was having them on balsa wood bases and removing/slotting them. Might prove problematic over time I expect though?
Attachment: attach_2500_3046_kelly_shepperton_mod_2017_09_15_1253_28.box     159
Last edited on 15 Sep 2017 13:02 by d827kelly
posted: 15 Sep 2017 14:41

John Palmer

Should be easy enough to shift the yard turnout so that checkrails don't straddle a board joint.

Is it worth considering an infill of the 'notches' caused by the baseboard shapes, as shown by the red lines on the attached screenshot?  As you can see, this then makes it possible to rotate the entire track formation and ease the curvature of the approach tracks somewhat.  Just a thought...

2129_150937_410000000.png2129_150937_410000000.png

posted: 15 Sep 2017 16:39

d827kelly

John Palmer wrote:
Should be easy enough to shift the yard turnout so that checkrails don't straddle a board joint.

Is it worth considering an infill of the 'notches' caused by the baseboard shapes, as shown by the red lines on the attached screenshot?  As you can see, this then makes it possible to rotate the entire track formation and ease the curvature of the approach tracks somewhat.  Just a thought...

2129_150937_410000000.png2129_150937_410000000.png
Hi Johm.

That is something I'd considered, it shouldn't be too hard to ask Tim Horn to make a few fillets, and have the control panels there.

It does also give a bit more room for the 3 sidings at the bottom middle. I'd need to move the point of the oil terminal to avoid the join, but otherwise much better.

Kelly

posted: 15 Sep 2017 16:54

Tony W

Hi Kelly.
Latest version attached, but I get the distinct feeling it may not be the final one!
Regards
Tony.
Attachment: attach_2501_3046_kelly_shepperton_mod_2017_09_15_1646_15.box     134

posted: 15 Sep 2017 17:33

d827kelly

Tony W wrote:
Hi Kelly.
Latest version attached, but I get the distinct feeling it may not be the final one!
Regards
Tony.

Thanks Tony. There is always something that needs altering/tweaking. But that is why I am using templot, as it is much easier (in theory) to modify on the screen) than to realise I've made a mess and redo the physical trackwork.

posted: 15 Sep 2017 18:20

d827kelly

Adding the fillets and rotating the plan to have it over the fillets does give more room for the sidings and parcel bay, which was looking a bit tight previously. Working from your latest version it looks like it could work.

Natalie likes the fillets as well, and as it makes the space on the right much bigger, she's suggested that we add a private siding (ferro-concrete works was in the rough position marked in orange on the image below. Her drawing is so small though I'm not sure if I've gotten it right. Ideally it might be better if it were a tandem, but not worked out how to do those yet.

In the image below the colours represent:

Pink/Puple: points crossing baseboard joins.
Orange: added private siding for ferro-concrete plant.
2356_151316_290000000.png2356_151316_290000000.png
Attachment: attach_2502_3046_kelly_shepperton_mod_2017_09_15_1816_38.box     171

posted: 15 Sep 2017 18:45

d827kelly

Slight adjustments as the uppermost crossover had ended up off the end of the board.

2356_151345_320000000.png2356_151345_320000000.png
Attachment: attach_2503_3046_kelly_shepperton_mod_2017_09_15_1845_40.box     170

posted: 15 Sep 2017 20:06

d827kelly

Discussed the right hand side with Natalie and figured it out mostly. Simplified to a single private siding, with a small spur to a small shed/stable point for the industrial loco. (ignore the orange bits in this). Still need to work on the overlapping (baseboard) points. Getting there slowly!

2356_151504_270000000.png2356_151504_270000000.png

posted: 15 Sep 2017 21:54

d827kelly

I've altered the plan to move as much of the points off of joins. I can't get one of them to avoid it without shortening the carriage siding too much. Done most of the timber shoving (might have inadvertantly made an error or two there though!).

2356_151653_430000000.png2356_151653_430000000.png
Attachment: attach_2504_3046_kelly_shepperton_mod_2017_09_15_2151_00.box     149

posted: 19 Sep 2017 13:13

Tony W

d827kelly wrote:
I've altered the plan to move as much of the points off of joins. I can't get one of them to avoid it without shortening the carriage siding too much. Done most of the timber shoving (might have inadvertantly made an error or two there though!).

2356_151653_430000000.png2356_151653_430000000.png
Hi Kelly.
If you are now reasonably happy that this will be close to the final version, I shall have another look at your timbering.
Regards
Tony.

posted: 19 Sep 2017 13:24

d827kelly

Tony W wrote:
Hi Kelly.
If you are now reasonably happy that this will be close to the final version, I shall have another look at your timbering.
Regards
Tony.
Hi Tony,

Yes, I am reasonably happy it is as close as I can get, the only things that might need attention is the oil terminal turnout, as I'm not sure i f the clearances are sufficient for a 4 car unit to be in the second platform (effectively a carriage siding) and access to the oil terminal being sufficient. changing the turnout angle might alleviate most of it, I expect I'll tweak that when it is laid on a board though.

Kelly

posted: 19 Sep 2017 23:34

Tony W

OK Kelly, I think this is about it.
Regards
Tony.
Attachment: attach_2505_3046_kelly_shepperton_mod_2017_09_19_2330_02.box     130

posted: 20 Sep 2017 16:08

d827kelly

Thanks Tony. Looks good.

posted: 3 Oct 2017 18:38

d827kelly

Can someone double check I've not made any mess ups with the slight junction change (for the oil terminal). I've shoved the timbers there, to what seems to look ok.

I'd appreciate a double check before I start printing templates onto card.

Thanks.
Attachment: attach_2513_3046_kelly_shepperton_mod_2017_10_03_1835_34.box     155

posted: 3 Oct 2017 22:58

Tony W

Hi Kelly.
I have checked your latest version. There seem to be a couple of misalignments between the approach track of the oil siding turnout and the sections of track either side of it.
Sorting these out results in the turnout radius becoming a bit sharp through the switch. I have changed it to a C - 10 with a curviform crossing to optimise the situation so hope the result is acceptable. Changing the C switch for a D paradoxically makes the situation worse.
Timbering also sorted, I hope!
Regards
Tony.
Attachment: attach_2514_3046_kelly_shepperton_mod_2017_10_03_2238_55.box     169

posted: 3 Oct 2017 23:01

d827kelly

Thanks Tony. That should be it. I've printed the other templates to the left and below of there off.

Should be good to print the oil depot off now too.

Thanks again for all your help.

Next job, join the templates up and secure trackbed to boards (balsa) and templates to that. Then track building can slowly start.

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > Making a start on shoving timbers
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020