Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3058Templot a Macbook running it with Wine and file downloads and transfers
author remove search highlighting

posted: 30 Jul 2017 19:34

Michael Druiett

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hello Everyone, my first post to this forum as a new member,
Im enjoying learning how to use templot and have now got my single slip and tandem drawn, printed out and looking good.  The learning curve has been greatly speeded up thanks to the videos as well so a big thank you for that.
One frustration I am having, I am running the programme on my Mac book, and I'm using Wine as a converter to do so. The programme is working perfectly and Im able to work with it. The frustration is this: Its running each time through the set.exe file, storing saved work etc, I can't seem to get it to work and convert as an independent app and I don't know how to export import files??
Id appreciate any tips how to get over this little hiccup
many thanks
Michael

posted: 30 Jul 2017 20:51

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Michael,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

I know nothing about Macs, I test Templot under Wine on Linux. But there are plenty of users running Templot on a Mac via CrossOver or Winebottler, I'm sure someone will answer.

There is a useful article here which you may not have seen:

http://www.howtogeek.com/263211/how-to-run-windows-programs-on-a-mac-with-wine/

For files, I have found it convenient to load and save them from an external drive such as a USB memory stick. This tends to be easier to navigate to from within Wine than the installation file structure, and is also easily found from the native system.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 31 Jul 2017 11:26

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Michael

I was hoping someone with more experience might reply, but they haven't yet!  I've had a Mac for less than a month, and just this weekend had Templot running on it.  You don't say which Wine package you have, and I discovered there are loads!  I think there are two approaches to this:-

1 - This is what I did.  I already had Templot installed on a PC, so the whole folder was copied to the Mac.  I downloaded and installed WineBottler from http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/, then double-clicked the templot_2.exe file within my Templot folder, and it just worked.  However, you may not have a pre-existing PC installation folder or be able to create one. (although I guess a clean install could be created, zipped up and posted here if Martin is OK with that.)

2 - This worked for a different program, and as it sounds like you're running the installer each time rather then the program, this might work for you.  WineBottler allows you to create a Mac app from a Windows install file.  I'm working from memory here, but the gist is that you run WineBottler, and create a new "bottle".  One of the options asks if you're using an installer, so you say yes and point it at the Templot installer.  This creates an app that you run just like any native Mac app.  The link Martin posted give you loads of detail on how to do this using Winebottler, and in fact was the one I used to get the other program (BankTree) working.

I hope that helps a bit.  Like I said, Macs are still new to me and I'm still learning!

Paul
Last edited on 31 Jul 2017 11:30 by Paul Boyd
posted: 22 Oct 2017 14:00

Michael Druiett

Ive managed to get it all to work successfully, have my detailed templot plan finished, but have hit a stumbling point now. I need to transfer the file to a memory stick or email it in either .pdf or .dxf
For the life of me I can't work out how to get the files out of the wine programme.
I can print from my Mac book no problem, but exporting !?!?!?!

id appreciate any help please
Thanks
Michael

posted: 22 Oct 2017 15:03

Dave Summers

Urchfont, Devizes - United Kingdom

Michael
Let's assume that you want to create a .pdf. ON the trackpad view, select Files and at the bottom of the menu is 'export a file (PDF, DXF....)
Click on it and in the left hand column is the 'export a document (PDF)' option. Having made any changes (the defaults are fine for experimenting!), click on 'create PDF ...'
This will bring up a box asking you 'save PDF file as...' You have the ability to modify the file name here if needed. Use the green up arrow to navigate to 'My Mac Desktop' and click 'Save'. Job done.
Dave

posted: 22 Oct 2017 19:45

Michael Druiett

Thats great Dave, objective achieved!
many thanks
Michael

posted: 16 Nov 2017 19:03

Ian Bunch

I've just installed Wine and WineBottler on my iMac and installed Templot. Everything seems to run as it should as far as I can tell. I'm running OSX High Sierra so Wine hasn't actually been updated for this OS yet. I'll do some track design and printing and see what transpires

posted: 16 Nov 2017 19:21

Ian Bunch

1815_161421_230000000.png1815_161421_230000000.pngIt's very nice having Templot running on a big monitor rather than scrolling around a laptop screen. The install found my printer (wi-fi) and connected without an issue. Calibration file created and stored in the same folder you'd find in the Windows version. Much the same experience but with having to use fn key for key commands. 

posted: 16 Nov 2017 20:50

Martin Wynne

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for that.

One thing I'm keen to know is whether the installer's file associations are honoured on a Mac.

For example, if you click this video link:

http://templot.com/fbr/templot_explained_first_off_1.fbr

and select the Run/Open option in your browser, does the browser launch it in the Templot Flashback Player? And does it play?

I know it is fine on Wine under Linux, but a Mac is not always the same.

Thanks.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 16 Nov 2017 21:17

Ian Bunch

I get this. I have nothing installed on my mac that will open this kind of file. 
1815_161617_000000000.png1815_161617_000000000.png

posted: 16 Nov 2017 22:14

Martin Wynne

Ian Bunch wrote:
I get this. I have nothing installed on my mac that will open this kind of file.
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the report.

Yes you do. It's installed with Templot, but I feared the Mac might not find it. It's working fine on Linux.

In Templot, click the help > video player only menu item.

On the player window, click the File > Open... menu item to open that file.

Is there any way on the Mac to set up an association with FBR files for the player? If you click Choose Application on that dialog, can you navigate to flashback_player.exe in the Wine C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\ folder?

This is a blow, because I was hoping to minimize work on the Templot Companion by posting FBR files only. It's all the more annoying because it works fine in Wine on Linux.

Anyone tried it with CrossOver on a Mac instead of Winebottler?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 17 Nov 2017 18:38

Ian Bunch

Martin, I can actually access the videos. The BBFlashback player opens from the Help menu. I clicked on the link in the splashscreen 'old video list' That opened the Flashback Connect player (in Chrome) shown in the screenshot. So it does work, just a few more clicks than usual. 1815_171338_100000000.png1815_171338_100000000.png

posted: 17 Nov 2017 18:46

Ian Bunch

This is after selecting 'watch a video' from the help menu. Templot downloads it and it plays in the micro player. 1815_171345_180000000.png1815_171345_180000000.png

posted: 17 Nov 2017 19:34

Martin Wynne

Thanks Ian.

The first one is the MP4 video on the FlashBackConnect server, viewed in your browser. That should work on all devices, it would be alarming if you couldn't access that.

The second one is the FBR video playing in the FlashBack player which is installed as part of Templot.

I was hoping that a FBR file download would open that player direct from the browser, as it does in Windows and Linux. But your previous screenshot shows that it doesn't. What happens if you click Choose Application... on that dialog?

The file associations are set by the installer, so it should be working.

Which raises the further question of what happens on a Mac if you download a Templot BOX file? Does it launch Templot and load the file?

Here's one at random to try:

castlegar3.box

Do you need to Choose Application... for that also?

And does this apply only to Winebottler installs, or also CrossOver? Anyone?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 17 Nov 2017 19:44

Martin Wynne

This is what you should see when you click that link:

2_171442_590000000.png2_171442_590000000.png

And if you tick the box, you don't even see that -- it simply launches directly in Templot.

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Templot a Macbook running it with Wine and file downloads and transfers
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020