author remove search highlighting

posted: 15 Aug 2017 11:18

Andrew Howlett

Torquay - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Dear Martin & fellow Templotters,

I purchased Templot 0.74A on 28/09/2002 and did have a go at learning it then, but have forgotten 99% of it since!
I've now started a new project - ordered the shed, booked a builder to lay the concrete foundation, booked the electrician, and drawn the track plan on the back of an envelope (designed around Peco 0-gauge track.  Last night at the club I was told I should be building my own C&L track, so I guess I should be drawing up the plan in Templot as well.
If there is anyone who can spare a few minutes give me a nudge into the right menus in those new dark unknown areas that were not even a twinkle in Martin's eye when I first started, I should be most grateful.

Firstly I need to draw a 24ft by 13ft rectangle (the shed), followed by a second rectangle 103mm inside the first (the inner wall), then create the continuous running line (c/l 75mm inside the inner wall - works out at about 5ft 11ins radius at the ends, I think), then finally add a passing loop each side (one to clear a 190mm wide island platform, from which I can develop the rest of the station - based on St. Agnes on the GWR Newquay branch; the second at running line/siding spacing from which to develop the fiddle yard).

I know that later, when I need to insert the catch points and the double slip, I will have to face "partial templates", the mention of which has always sent shivers down my spine.

Many thanks,
Andrew Howlett

posted: 15 Aug 2017 13:22

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Andrew,

Welcome back. :)

Don't use your old Templot CD from 2002 -- download the latest Templot2 version from:

http://templot.com/downloads/download.htm

I like your mix of units -- a 24ft x 13ft shed with walls exactly 103mm thick!

To get started on that:

background > quick baseboard outline > other sizes and options > other size in ft... menu item.

Enter 24ft x 13ft.

206mm is 8.11 inches, so the next one is 279.89 inches x 147.89 inches:

background > quick baseboard outline > other sizes and options > other size in inches... menu item.

Enter those dimensions.

Then on the background > shapes dialog, click the modify shape tab > shift by... button. Enter 103mm for both X an Y to shift it into the centre of the first rectangle.

Save your .bgs background shapes file with those rectangles -- files > save all as... on the background shapes dialog.

Call the file start.bgs -- it will then be loaded automatically every time you start Templot.

More info:

background > quick baseboard outline > ? quick baseboards - more info

regards,

Martin.

posted: 16 Aug 2017 11:15

Andrew Howlett

Torquay - United Kingdom

Thank You, Martin.

Although I've not used Templot for some time, I've always kept the current version on which ever computer I've been using at the time, and in any case my current computer, a MS Surface Pro 4 doesn't have a CD drive!

The mix of units is in this instance down to the shed company.

Once I get started I'm sure the basics will come flooding back, and I know from reading the various posts, so much is now easier than it was in 0.74a.

Once again, thank you for getting me started.

Andrew.

posted: 16 Aug 2017 11:48

Martin Wynne

Hi Andrew,

I'm also now using a Surface Pro for development, linked to widescreen monitor for desk use.

In the next program update I have added a program sizing option so that the whole Templot program can be made a better fit on a tablet or a full monitor, to suit different users. That means the size of buttons and fonts, etc., it doesn't affect the track planning.

I'm hoping to get it released before the end of this month.

regards,

Martin. 

posted: 8 Sep 2017 13:52

Andrew Howlett

Torquay - United Kingdom

Martin,

I've managed to produce a layout that I am 95% happy with.  The new make slip function came at just the right moment, and I've had to set the text to maximum to get it back to where it was on the Surface Pro 4.
I'll try and attach the box file.
The station is loosely based on St. Agnes on the GWR Chacewater to Newquay line.  The only station with only an island platform on a single track line that I could find.  I have assumed the station to be on a line that has been taken over by a preservation society, and they have built carriage sidings and a loco depot just down the line from the station.  The mix of turnouts in this area being deliberate, reflecting the wide source the track has been acquired from.
The tandem 1:7/1:9 in the goods yard hasn't been finished as I don't know how to.  Also, there should be a catch point at the 1:5 crossover/1:8 end of the station of a similar design to the one at the other end, but I couldn't get it to look right.  Hence my largely unsuccessful attempt to incorporate it into one end of the 1:5 crossover.

MegaPoints Controllers have produced stickers for customers to attach to their layouts advertising that they are using MegaPoints Controllers products.  How about something similar to advertise that the track plan was created using Templot.

Once again, many thanks for producing and maintaining such a wonderful product.

Andrew Howlett

Attachment: attach_2486_3063_st_agnes_2017_09_07.box     220

posted: 11 Sep 2017 22:29

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hi Andrew.
Since no one else appears to have taken up your challenge, I thought I would have a go.
Well done so far.
The Tandem needed several changes to it to make it work, the main one being that the two turnouts were set at differing radii so would not line up. The curvature of the inner road was very tight. I have managed to ease this slightly. The next stage was to place the third crossing at the intersection of the two rails where the notch should be if it loads as saved. This was not an easy task as the radius changes very close to this vee hence my two part solution. If you step through the box file you will see the numerous partial templates required. You should try to retain the timbers for each crossing and switch set as they will be at the correct spacing but alter the length to suit.
I have also had a go at the trap points. The one on the inside looks sharp, but is probably the best solution given the circumstances. I have also sorted out some of the timbering elsewhere although there may still be some more that I have missed.
I have also changed the box file title so it saves by default. To do this open the storage box and select the Edit drop down menu "box title (project title)"
Good luck with your project.
Tony.

Attachment: attach_2488_3063_st_agnes_2017_09_11_2207_41.box     234

posted: 11 Sep 2017 22:53

Martin Wynne

Hi Andrew,

I see that you have adopted the GOG-F standard.

Are you aware than many (most?) handbuilders of 0 gauge track now prefer the 0-MF standard?

This gives much better running with modern Slater's-pattern wheels. There has been much discussion about this on other forums such as RMweb.

I believe the Gauge 0 Guild will be adopting 0-MF in the next edition of their standards.

0-MF is 31.5mm gauge with 1.5mm flangeways.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 12 Sep 2017 10:07

Andrew Howlett

Torquay - United Kingdom

Many thanks Tony,

Much appreciated,

Andrew.
Tony W wrote:
Hi Andrew.
Since no one else appears to have taken up your challenge, I thought I would have a go.
Well done so far.
The Tandem needed several changes to it to make it work, the main one being that the two turnouts were set at differing radii so would not line up. The curvature of the inner road was very tight. I have managed to ease this slightly. The next stage was to place the third crossing at the intersection of the two rails where the notch should be if it loads as saved. This was not an easy task as the radius changes very close to this vee hence my two part solution. If you step through the box file you will see the numerous partial templates required. You should try to retain the timbers for each crossing and switch set as they will be at the correct spacing but alter the length to suit.
I have also had a go at the trap points. The one on the inside looks sharp, but is probably the best solution given the circumstances. I have also sorted out some of the timbering elsewhere although there may still be some more that I have missed.
I have also changed the box file title so it saves by default. To do this open the storage box and select the Edit drop down menu "box title (project title)"
Good luck with your project.
Tony.

posted: 12 Sep 2017 10:18

John Palmer

I have also had a go at the tandem and managed to ease the curvature so that I don't think any part of this formation  has a curvature less than 59" in radius.  Won't guarantee that I have successfully preserved all the alignments of adjacent track (in any case all the exits from the tandem have been transitioned), but there has been no substantial change to such alignments.  There's also a bit of timber shoving still required.

I have also inserted two traps into turnout TL 762.  The stretchers on these would, no doubt, be operated by the same rodding connection as that driving TL 535.

Attachment: attach_2489_3063_st_agnes_2017_09_12_0939_24.box     237

posted: 12 Sep 2017 10:37

Andrew Howlett

Torquay - United Kingdom

Martin,

I was originally going to use Peco track, hence GOG-F, and then I was persuaded to build my own using C&L.  Since then, a couple of people in the Exeter club have mentioned about 0-MF, but nobody seems to use it, everyone using Peco track!
When it was mentioned I did wonder about trying it, but then I have already ordered the crossings and blades from C&L.  I believe the crossings are soft soldered so I could adjust the flangeways.  Can anyone advise a source of 0-MF track gauges?
Would I need to change gauge in Templot, or could I use the 0-F printouts with 0-MF trackgauges?

My previous 0-gauge experience was some 60 years ago with Hornby tinplate.  A lot has changed since then!

Andrew.

Martin Wynne wrote:
Hi Andrew,

I see that you have adopted the GOG-F standard.

Are you aware than many (most?) handbuilders of 0 gauge track now prefer the 0-MF standard?

This gives much better running with modern Slater's-pattern wheels. There has been much discussion about this on other forums such as RMweb.

I believe the Gauge 0 Guild will be adopting 0-MF in the next edition of their standards.

0-MF is 31.5mm gauge with 1.5mm flangeways.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 12 Sep 2017 13:07

Martin Wynne

Oh dear, Andrew. :)

So much has been written about all this in recent years on the various forums, some of it by me. I don't think I have the will to write it all down again. I suggest you join the Western Thunder forum for a lot of friendly advice, especially from Richard Lambert of this parish (Dikitriki on other forums). See for example:

http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/o-gauge-31-5-vs-32-mm.6180/

and

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/124869-315-vs-32mm-gauge/page-4#entry2809317

and

topic 1394 - message 8685

Briefly:

1. Many/most builders of 0-MF pointwork use 32mm plain track flexi from C&L or Peco. It can be joined to 31.5mm gauge by warming the rails to soften the chairs, or by building a short length of gauge-transition track. The wider gauge is useful for gauge-widening on sharp curves.

2. Gauges for 0-MF are available from Debs of this parish, and from Roxey Mouldings:

2281_281441_470000000.jpg2281_281441_470000000.jpg

post-7091-0-24142100-1503481704.jpgpost-7091-0-24142100-1503481704.jpg
image linked from RMweb

3. It is difficult to find any dimensions on the C&L web site. Hopefully this will change with the new owner. So we don't know the flangeway gap width on their assembled crossings.

They are assembled with high-temperature solder so not easy to modify. In any event attempting to change the flangeway gap on an assembled crossing is almost certainly doomed to failure, you would simply wreck it. 10 times easier to start again from scratch.

In any event they are all made straight-over-straight, whereas a lot of your pointwork is curved, so they are not going to fit very well.

4. Plain turnouts can be built to 31.5mm gauge on 32mm templates with a bit of fudging. However this won't work for diamond-crossings and slips, which must be built on templates printed for the matching gauge, otherwise the rails won't align properly. Generally it is much better to print templates for the actual gauge in use.

Here's a picture of 0-MF track on Richard Lambert's Heyside layout:

post-19751-0-70070100-1441558193.jpgpost-19751-0-70070100-1441558193.jpg
image linked from RMweb

Here's a diagram showing why the modern 0 gauge wheels drop into the crossings on traditional GOG-F (F7) track:
2_041033_280000000.png2_041033_280000000.png

regards,

Martin.

posted: 12 Sep 2017 16:41

Andrew Howlett

Torquay - United Kingdom

I'm sorry Martin,

I didn't expect you to go through it all again.  After asking about the gauges, I found an "advert" from Debs in Templot Club with an e-mail address, and I've just ordered a set from her.
I'll be using C&L chairs with plywood sleepers for the straight track as well (GWR 2-bolt chairs) so I'll regenerate the plan to the new gauge in sections as I build.

Many thanks,

Andrew.

posted: 12 Sep 2017 17:59

Martin Wynne

Andrew Howlett wrote:
I'm sorry Martin,

I didn't expect you to go through it all again.
Hi Andrew,

No need for an apology. Sorry if I didn't word that very well -- I'm feeling a bit under the weather today.

best regards,

Martin.

posted: 15 Sep 2017 09:31

Andrew Howlett

Torquay - United Kingdom

John, sorry I missed your reply.

Thanks for the tandem.  I'm comparing it with Tony's version.  I shall have to carefully measure up the headshunt lengths for the coal siding access (the one nearest the front.  The sharp curvature into the sidings was a trade off with the length of the headshunt.  This was the reason for a V7/V9 tandem.  I did also try a separate V7 & V9, and a V8/V10 tandem.

Many thanks,
Andrew Howlett.

John Palmer wrote:
I have also had a go at the tandem and managed to ease the curvature so that I don't think any part of this formation  has a curvature less than 59" in radius.  Won't guarantee that I have successfully preserved all the alignments of adjacent track (in any case all the exits from the tandem have been transitioned), but there has been no substantial change to such alignments.  There's also a bit of timber shoving still required.

I have also inserted two traps into turnout TL 762.  The stretchers on these would, no doubt, be operated by the same rodding connection as that driving TL 535.

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Beginner 2nd (or 3rd) time around
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020