topic: 3064Custom gauge scale setting
author remove search highlighting

posted: 15 Aug 2017 11:44

rynd2it

Chabanais 16 - France

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi I could not find a setting for O-16.5 (sometimes called On30) so I created something useable under "custom a" and named it "O-narrow".
However, on loading TEMPLOT later this option was not in the list and I had to recreate it. I can't find how to save my custom setting - I'll bet its obvious but I have searched to no avail

Thanks

David

posted: 15 Aug 2017 12:48

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

rynd2it wrote:
Hi I could not find a setting for O-16.5 (sometimes called On30) so I created something useable under "custom a" and named it "O-narrow".
However, on loading TEMPLOT later this option was not in the list and I had to recreate it. I can't find how to save my custom setting - I'll bet its obvious but I have searched to no avail
Hi David,

There are no narrow-gauge settings in the gauge/scale list because there are just too many of them, and it is next to impossible to get definitive details of the track standards used. Always create narrow-gauge as a custom gauge/scale.

It's not in the list because you don't actually need it there. Just load a .box file containing a template using it, and copy that template to the control template. A library template is intended for such purposes -- i.e. a place to save any custom settings (not just the few in a custom gauge/scale setting).

However, if you do want it to be in the list on a fresh startup, save your program preferences:

This is how to start saving your program preferences (old screenshots, sorry):

2_150324_360000000.png2_150324_360000000.png

2_150325_200000000.png2_150325_200000000.png

Be aware that there are only 4 slots for custom settings in the gauge/scale list, so if you create more than that number, they won't all be available in the list. But they will be in your library templates.

p.s. the gauge/scale list doesn't show the custom name in the actual list, but it is there if you click custom-b or whichever after using program preferences. I will see if I can get that fixed.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 15 Aug 2017 13:01

rynd2it

Chabanais 16 - France

Thanks Martin - that works but a save option for a custom setting would be really useful and would not run the risk of upsetting other program preferences or settings
David

posted: 15 Aug 2017 13:57

Martin Wynne

rynd2it wrote:
Thanks Martin - that works but a save option for a custom setting would be really useful and would not run the risk of upsetting other program preferences or settings
Hi David,

I hear what you are saying -- but in all these years using Templot I have never actually needed such a thing. Which tends to be the criterion for adding new functions. Custom gauge/scale was included in the program preferences only because someone asked for it, I have never used it that way myself.

A .box file containing one or more library templates is the way to go, and far more flexible. Just add it to the storage box along with your current templates.

Note that you can have multiple preferences files, and load a different one at any time.

To do what you want will need a new file type and some buttons to save and load it. I will look at doing that.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 15 Aug 2017 14:12

Martin Wynne

p.s. just to add that by using a library template you can set up so much more for your narrow-gauge templates than just the gauge and scale.

For example timber sizes and spacings, check rail settings, rail section, trackbed width, platform edge spacing, blunt nose width, plain track rail lengths, etc. etc...

Just copy it to the control template, and off you go.

Martin.

posted: 15 Aug 2017 14:17

rynd2it

Chabanais 16 - France

Martin Wynne wrote:
p.s. just to add that by using a library template you can set up so much more for your narrow-gauge templates than just the gauge and scale. For example timber sizes and spacings, check rail settings, rail section, trackbed width, platform edge spacing, blunt nose width, etc. etc...

Just copy it to the control template, and off you go.

Martin.
Thanks Martin, as ever a great response.
I only came across this as I was trying to see what an existing plan would look like if I changed from 009 to On30. It actually looks good and was easy to do - I simply set the scale to 7mm, track width to 16.5 and defaulted everything else. Certainly effective for prototyping - I just expected it to be there next time I went to look at it.

Cheers

David

posted: 15 Aug 2017 14:26

Martin Wynne

rynd2it wrote:
I just expected it to be there next time I went to look at it
OK, preserving the custom gauge/scale settings across sessions is a lot easier than setting up save and load functions to choose a saved file.

I'm hoping to get a new version done by the end of this month, so I will look at adding this, even if I don't ever use it myself.

Martin.

posted: 15 Aug 2017 17:03

Martin Wynne

That's done.

I have removed the custom gauge/scale settings from the saved program preferences.

Instead, the custom gauge/scale settings from the previous session will be reloaded every time, regardless of your preferences settings.

There are only 4 slots for the custom settings, so it is likely that when creating a new custom gauge/scale it will be necessary to delete or overwrite a previous custom setting.

That's not a problem because the previous setting will be in any templates which used it, and it can be adopted back into the custom settings from the control template at any time if necessary.

In the next program update.

Martin.

posted: 15 Aug 2017 18:27

rynd2it

Chabanais 16 - France

Martin Wynne wrote:
That's done.

I have removed the custom gauge/scale settings from the saved program preferences.

Instead, the custom gauge/scale settings from the previous session will be reloaded every time, regardless of your preferences settings.

There are only 4 slots for the custom settings, so it is likely that when creating a new custom gauge/scale it will be necessary to delete or overwrite a previous custom setting.

That's not a problem because the previous setting will be in any templates which used it, and it can be adopted back into the custom settings from the control template at any time if necessary.

In the next program update.

Martin.
We could have done with you in a certain software company - you understand Tech Support, Customer Relations and enhancement requests.
Nice work Martin

Thanks

David

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > Custom gauge scale setting
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020