Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3071Radstock S&DJR
author remove search highlighting

posted: 4 Sep 2017 14:45

John Palmer

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Greatly aided by Chris Handley's splendid 'Radstock Coal and Steam', I've been plotting the S&D station in Templot, just for a bit of fun.  Here's the boxfile.
Attachment: attach_2480_3071_radstock_2017_09_04_1429_19.box     304

posted: 4 Sep 2017 14:56

John Palmer

...sk81 file...
Attachment: attach_2481_3071_radstock_17_09_01_1312_55.sk81     313

posted: posted: 4 Sep 2017 14:57

John Palmer

...sk82 file...
Attachment: attach_2482_3071_radstock_17_09_01_1312_55.sk82     291

4 Sep 2017 14:57

John Palmer

...sk83 file...
Attachment: attach_2483_3071_radstock_17_09_01_1312_55.sk83     340

posted: 4 Sep 2017 14:58

John Palmer

...and the shapes file
Attachment: attach_2484_3071_radstock_17_09_01_1312_55.bgs     277

posted: 4 Sep 2017 15:07

John Palmer

Although NLS' range of town plans is concentrating on the West Country, they have not as yet scanned Radstock, unfortunately, so I have had to use the 25" series. There are a few departures from the OS plan, partly because I hae me doots about some of the alignments, but more importantly because I wanted to show the 1936-37 alterations to the layout, primarily affecting the ladder of slips across the yard and the connection into the Up Main. Whilst excluding what I take to be the tramways, I have included the lower end of the Clandown Branch, and the standard gauge incline across the bridge giving access to Tyning colliery and batches.  Also shown are the connection towards Ludlows and the British Wagon Works tracks, the latter a mess of tight curves which I have eased somewhat. I got to know the shed area fairly intimately when working with the S&D Circle/Trust in the years it occupied the Radstock site (early 1970's), so preparation of this layout has brought back some fond memories! Hope this may be of some interest.
Last edited on 4 Sep 2017 15:21 by John Palmer
posted: 4 Sep 2017 15:09

John Palmer

Blimey, three downloads of the boxfile already!  Obviously a popular prototype!

Incidentally, for those unfamiliar with the location, the incline up to Tynings did not cross the S&D on the level, but on a plate girder overbridge.  In addition, the siding slightly to the south of the main lines passed beneath the incline by means of a masonry arch (always referred to as Marble Arch) that effectively formed a short tunnel.  Such was the very low clearance of this that only diminutive shunting engines and wagons of no greater height could pass through it.  The various restricted loading gauge shunting engines employed by the S&D for this work were in due course replaced by Sentinel chain driven shunters, and occasionally by a L&Y Pug when one of the Sentinels was away for repairs.
Last edited on 4 Sep 2017 15:18 by John Palmer
posted: 5 Sep 2017 12:41

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi John,

Many thanks for posting all that. Looks great.

A nice collection of slips and tandems for someone to build. :) I like the 3-rail incline.

p.s. on the irregular slip by the Cattle Market, you have missed a switch opening behind the check rail.

By the way, if you use the crop/combine function on the maps, you would have only one .sk8 file to upload.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 5 Sep 2017 17:53

John Palmer

Thanks, Martin!

I failed to adjust the checkrail not only on the slip leading to the Up Siding (near the Cattle Market) but also the slip leading from Up Main across to Number One Road via the Down Main.   Probably because this is a shallow-angled diamond (almost too shallow?), the check rail adjustment via 'customise V-crossing' had no effect and I failed to notice the problem until prompted to review the layout by your post.

The British Wagon Company works may also need some further work, and would certainly need it for a post-Second World War layout.  After the war, the site of Edgarley's saw mill (to the east of the wagon works shown on the OS plan) was acquired by the company and a new wagon repair works erected upon it, served at east and west ends by traversers.  After the closure of Ludlows in 1954, access to the wagon works was only possible via the S&D, and the connections serving it were altered to reflect this.

I was pleased about the incline!  A little calculation and experimentation required to get the correct adjacent track offset, but after that it's a doddle to set such an arrangment up in Templot using the 'make double track' functions.

A good tip about the crop and combine of the shap file map images - I'll try to remember that one.

posted: 8 Sep 2017 14:24

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi John,

Templot can now make these NLS screenshots for you, and scale them to the correct size.

However, for screenshots made manually and imported, there is now a calculator tool to help you get them to the right size. Remember to set your gauge/scale first:

2_080908_000000000.png2_080908_000000000.png

2_080908_570000000.png2_080908_570000000.png

The information needed is in the map URL if you still have it or can get it again:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=52.3214&lon=-2.5272&layers=176&b=6

The pixel width of the image is shown below the list on the background shapes dialog.

The result:

2_080912_370000000.png2_080912_370000000.png

Sorry about the silly long decimal fraction. I will get that fixed.

Click the modify shape > re-size... button to enter it.

For details of the actual maths, see:

topic 3051 - message 21748

regards,

Martin.

posted: 9 Sep 2017 11:42

John Palmer

Martin, many thanks. As it may be of some interest to others who are importing maps into Templot, I'll set out my experiences in the Direct Loading thread

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > Radstock S&DJR
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020