author remove search highlighting

posted: 9 Sep 2017 01:06

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Dear all,

In addition to the report here today about installation problems with the latest program update, there has been a similar report on RMweb, but only one.

It does not make sense to have 200 users successfully installing the latest update and 2 users having problems.

I have spent the day worrying about this, and wondering if I have done something wrong in the installer.

This is not fair. I have never set myself up as an expert on Windows or other people's computers. Sometimes the reports about what people are seeing on their computer screen are completely incomprehensible to me.

Not for the first time I get the impression that the way I use my computer as an electronic workshop tool is completely different from the way most folks use their computer. Perhaps it shows in Templot. For example I have never used a computer for any corporate or business use. I have never used Office or Word or a spreadsheet. I still write things down on 5"x3" index cards.

I want to be helpful to Templot users if I can, but the truth is -- I haven't the faintest idea. :(

I have decided therefore that I shall no longer respond to Windows issues or Templot installation problems. There are others here with far more knowledge than me who will hopefully do so.

I'm not going to spend another day worrying about installation issues and trying to fathom out what to advise users having problems.

The bottom line has to be that Templot is nowadays free to use on a "take it or leave it" basis. I'm happy to help with matters relating to the program functions and railway track, but if it won't run on your computer that is your problem, not mine.

All that having been said, I'm convinced that the problems are related to anti-virus software. Here is something I wrote earlier this year when similar problems cropped up with 214b (all eventually resolved by fixing anti-virus settings):  

"Windows 10 comes with its own anti-virus program called Windows Defender. It may not be the most all-singing ultra powerful anti-virus program, but it deals with all common threats and 99% of the rest -- with the great advantage that it "just works" in the background. No endless pop-up messages, no nagging requests for subscriptions, no noticeable effect on system performance.

Unless you are in the habit of visiting dodgy web sites, Windows Defender seems to be all that a sensible user needs. It is all I'm using on my Windows 10 system and I have had no problems after a couple of years."

It also comes with an offline scan function which runs without starting Windows. That is the only way to detect the most serious malicious code. And only Microsoft can provide it, because only they know exactly what should be in each and every Windows file.

It also costs nothing.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 9 Sep 2017 01:35

Andrew Barrowman

USA

Martin Wynne wrote:
Dear all,

In addition to the report here today about installation problems with the latest program update, there has been a similar report on RMweb, but only one.

It does not make sense to have 200 users successfully installing the latest update and 2 users having problems.

I have spent the day worrying about this, and wondering if I have done something wrong in the installer.

This is not fair. I have never set myself up as an expert on Windows or other people's computers. Sometimes the reports about what people are seeing on their computer screen are completely incomprehensible to me.

Not for the first time I get the impression that the way I use my computer as an electronic workshop tool is completely different from the way most folks use their computer. Perhaps it shows in Templot. For example I have never used a computer for any corporate or business use. I have never used Office or Word or a spreadsheet. I still write things down on 5"x3" index cards.

I want to be helpful to Templot users if I can, but the truth is -- I haven't the faintest idea. :(

I have decided therefore that I shall no longer respond to Windows issues or Templot installation problems. There are others here with far more knowledge than me who will hopefully do so.

I'm not going to spend another day worrying about installation issues and trying to fathom out what to advise users having problems.

The bottom line has to be that Templot is nowadays free to use on a "take it or leave it" basis. I'm happy to help with matters relating to the program functions and railway track, but if it won't run on your computer that is your problem, not mine.

All that having been said, I'm convinced that the problems are related to anti-virus software. Here is something I wrote earlier this year when similar problems cropped up with 214b (all eventually resolved by fixing anti-virus settings):  

"Windows 10 comes with its own anti-virus program called Windows Defender. It may not be the most all-singing ultra powerful anti-virus program, but it deals with all common threats and 99% of the rest -- with the great advantage that it "just works" in the background. No endless pop-up messages, no nagging requests for subscriptions, no noticeable effect on system performance.

Unless you are in the habit of visiting dodgy web sites, Windows Defender seems to be all that a sensible user needs. It is all I'm using on my Windows 10 system and I have had no problems after a couple of years."

It also comes with an offline scan function which runs without starting Windows. That is the only way to detect the most serious malicious code. And only Microsoft can provide it, because only they know exactly what should be in each and every Windows file.

It also costs nothing.

regards,

Martin.
All you need is one of these.

2983_082026_130000000.jpg2983_082026_130000000.jpg

This was my test lab where we spent huge amounts verifying product compatibility with MS. Admittedly we were creating drivers which MS would cheerfully break every time they put out a new release.

And, I think you are quite right. You can't possibly diagnose every possible installation issue. There are far too many variables.

Cheers!
Andy
Last edited on 9 Sep 2017 01:37 by Andrew Barrowman
posted: 9 Sep 2017 01:52

Martin Wynne

Thanks Andy.

It looks like you also spent a fair amount on floor polish.

With all that to hand, you are the obvious one to answer any Windows issues. :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 9 Sep 2017 03:41

Andrew Barrowman

USA

It's probably not so spiffy now. That was twelve years ago when it was brand new. The company has been acquired at least twice since then. Easy come, easy go.

posted: 9 Sep 2017 08:28

DaveJ61

Northampton - United Kingdom

Hi all,

I was a computer engineer, starting back in 1985 just after the first IBM PC was brought out. Now I am a systems engineer/analyst working on Linux, Windows and VMS systems.
It is amazing that when new PC's are bought in shops such PC World, the sales person will always push to sell anti-virus software such as McAfee. As has previously mentioned, this is not needed as Windows comes with its own free anti-virus/anti-malware called Defender. They are only selling it to make even more money.
Defender is more than adequate for peoples needs! I have been using nothing but Defender for years and years and have never been struck down by a virus. The latest version in windows 10 is even better and is always kept up to date, unless you configure windows to ignore the updates.

Oh and by the way, I have never had a problem installing or updating Templot, including this update.
I think the few people that do have issues have other problems with their PC such as permissions, ant-virus or something else. It has nothing to do with Templot.

Nice photos Andy, it takes me back a bit.

Oh and by the way, Martin, thanks for this update.

Regards

David
Last edited on 9 Sep 2017 08:29 by DaveJ61
posted: 9 Sep 2017 10:08

stuart1600

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Dear all,

I have spent the day worrying about this, and wondering if I have done something wrong in the installer..........

regards,

Martin.
I think you have come to the only sensible conclusion about this.
Many thanks for an excellent piece of software, which you have somehow managed to make even better.
Have a relaxing day :)
Regards,
Stuart

posted: 9 Sep 2017 10:35

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Martin
I totally agree with the way you are dealing with this.  These days, there is no reason whatsoever to use anything other than Microsoft's AV products with Windows 7 or 10.  Even our external IT support at work says this.  All the paid-for products are simply there so that the maker can desperately cling onto a money-making venture, which admittedly was necessary in the early days.

Incidentally, the upgrade installed perfectly well on my Win 10 system, in a Google Drive folder (don't wince!!) where I can also run it on my Mac within Wine!

Thank you so much for continuing to upgrade and improve Templot, it really is appreciated!  I think my model railway mojo is returning - I've even ordered tickets for Warley, a couple of weeks after the IPMS affair at Telford!

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 9 Sep 2017 22:36

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

I think you have come to the only sensible conclusion about this.
Many thanks for an excellent piece of software, which you have somehow managed to make even better.
Have a relaxing day :)
Regards,
Stuart
Hello Martin,
                    I agree with the response as above. 
More time to do more of what you enjoy.
Best wishes.
Trevor.:)

posted: 11 Sep 2017 13:28

Martin Wynne

Thanks all for the support.

I'm pleased to say that all the problems (which I know about) have now been reported resolved.

Which is a good thing, because there will be a 215b update very shortly. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 12 Sep 2017 22:20

dave turner

United Kingdom

Martin during the years that I have used Templot, and yes I bought it, I have never had an issue upgrading either under Windows or Linux with Wine. You have repeatedly made the prerequisites for installing Templot clear and I believe that the readme file is still there. (I haven't checked). Perhaps a reminder in the initial install and update methods requiring a user to tick a check box much like a licence agreement. Then leave us to our own devices and rely on the community. Start a topic just for installation problems and ignore it unless it explodes with content, which may indicate a real problem. Regards Dave
Last edited on 12 Sep 2017 22:21 by dave turner

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > ADMIN -- Templot installation problems
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020