topic: 3078Omagh GNRi Good Yard
author remove search highlighting

posted: 12 Sep 2017 23:49

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Attached is an A3 scan of the GNRi Goods Yard in Omagh. The drawings are the engineers drawings and I got these from a retired GNRi foreman at the Dundalk works. Scale is 1":40' or 1:500 metric (approx). Can this type of thing be imported into Templet and used to generate an accurate 21mm track layout?
Attachment: attach_2491_3078_Img010-Add1.jpg     369
Last edited on 12 Sep 2017 23:52 by Tony McGartland
posted: 13 Sep 2017 00:04

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Tony McGartland wrote:
Attached is an A3 scan of the GNRi Goods Yard in Omagh. The drawings are the engineers drawings and I got these from a retired GNRi foreman at the Dundalk works. Scale is 1":40' or 1:500 metric (approx). Can this type of thing be imported into Templet and used to generate an accurate 21mm track layout?
Hi Tony,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

Yes, certainly it can be imported into Templot, see the background > add a background map or image > menu items.

You know the map scale, so if you also know the DPI setting at which you scanned it, Templot can scale (re-size) it on the trackpad to match your model scale (make sure to set that first). If you don't know the DPI you can probably try some guesses, such as 300 DPI. Otherwise you will need to re-size it manually.

When you say "used to generate an accurate 21mm track layout" are you expecting Templot to do that for you?

If only. :?

Background images such as this are used as a guide to your own track design, by aligning templates over them. The accuracy of the result depends on you, obviously.

Thanks for posting it.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 13 Sep 2017 00:17

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

Martin, thank you for the warm welcome. Of courss i dont expect Templot to produce a layout drawing. I meant to trace the layout and place the track over the image.

posted: 13 Sep 2017 00:49

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Tony McGartland wrote:
I meant to trace the layout and place the track over the image.
Hi Tony,

I strongly recommend that you don't try it until you have gained some good experience of Templot's many functions, and can create track layouts in "fresh air" so to speak.

Aligning tracks precisely over an existing map requires significant additional expertise -- even the original designer of the goods yard didn't have to do that. :)

Fortunately working in an exact model gauge such as 21mm makes it a bit easier.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 14 Sep 2017 18:38

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

Martin,
Good advice. I purchased the CrossOver utility today so I can now run Templot without any time constraints on my mac.

Templot Club > Forums > Prototype pics > Omagh GNRi Good Yard
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020