click image to open Templot Club in a new tab
Templot club top logo
looking for Templot? - (free)

you are not logged in  - Login | Join

receive all messages by email: info

Recent Topics
Front Page  Search  Image Gallery  Gallery Upload  My Account  Members  Help  
make a donation  
please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors Templot Companion - User Guide
            messages archive on Yahoo
page trail:  Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > First Outing on the Permanent Way
Templot web site

First Outing on the Permanent Way
  Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2       
 Start new topic   Reply blank   Printer friendly 
  Rate this topic  
AuthorMessage
 Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
41st message | this message only posted: 16 Oct 2017 14:04
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank 
Tony McGartland
Omagh, Ireland

view images in gallery
view images as slides
To be honest Martin, I have run through you tutorial video a few times creating various track arrangements. I will go through the tutorial exactly as you have shown so I know how it works.

Two questions I'd like to ask.

Can the background imported image be hidden with an on/off function?

Can the scale be changed either during or at the end - change from 5'3" to 00 without any errors?

Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
42nd message | this message only posted: 16 Oct 2017 14:21
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Please do not send requests for help direct to me via email or PM.

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Tony W wrote:These options will produce an uncalibrated printout whose accuracy is not guaranteed.Hi Tony,

Just to clarify that print-now! does use calibration data if it is available. But doesn't suggest calibrating the printer if not, to avoid interrupting the print process.

The biggest warning with print-now! is that it will print ALL the pages, which could be dozens. There is no option to stop it or select which pages to print.

regards,

Martin.

43rd message | this message only posted: 16 Oct 2017 14:37
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Tony McGartland wrote: Can the background imported image be hidden with an on/off function?Hi Tony,

Yes. Press SHIFT+HOME to toggle all background shapes on and off, or click the trackpad > trackpad background options > hide background shapes menu item.

If you want to hide just one background shape, select it on the list and then untick the show on trackpad box:

Can the scale be changed either during or at the end - change from 5'3" to 00 without any errors?
Yes and no. There will be some misalignments. See:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=3086&forum_id=3#p22111

Because of the big change in the gauge:scale ratio for 00, it is not going to convert very well. It will need the templates to be re-aligned -- whether that is better or worse than starting again is up to you. :?

regards,

Martin.

44th message | this message only posted: 16 Oct 2017 15:40
Tony McGartland
Omagh, Ireland

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin, our College closed today because of the storm so I'm on overdrive with Templot this afternoon.

The layout I am hoping to model is impossible to build as is. What I proposed to do was model various aspects of the engineers drawings and bring them together on my baseboard.

To create a circuit in 4mm would be impossible without some sort of 'modellers licence'.

Bringing various aspects of the general station area, Goods Yard and engine shed together as one would work around a circuit with some freedom from the original track layout.

45th message | this message only posted: 16 Oct 2017 15:49
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Tony McGartland wrote:To create a circuit in 4mm would be impossible without some sort of 'modellers licence'.

Bringing various aspects of the general station area, Goods Yard and engine shed together as one would work around a circuit with some freedom from the original track layout.
Hi Tony,

See also:

http://templot.com/companion/wrap_picture_shape_to_curve.html

regards,

Martin.

46th message | this message only posted: 16 Oct 2017 17:18
Tony W
North Notts., United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote: Tony W wrote:These options will produce an uncalibrated printout whose accuracy is not guaranteed.Hi Tony,

Just to clarify that print-now! does use calibration data if it is available. But doesn't suggest calibrating the printer if not, to avoid interrupting the print process.

The biggest warning with print-now! is that it will print ALL the pages, which could be dozens. There is no option to stop it or select which pages to print.

regards,

Martin.
Hi Martin.
Thanks for the clarification of the Print-now option and calibration. That certainly isn't obvious from the menu.
Personally I always use the output option so I can control what I want to print out and some of my track plans can be quite big.
Regards
Tony.

47th message | this message only posted: 16 Oct 2017 17:57
Tony McGartland
Omagh, Ireland

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Would a bog standard A4 printer be able to print and allow me to glue templates together?

48th message | this message only posted: 16 Oct 2017 18:19
Tony W
North Notts., United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Tony.
Yes, but you may need quite a few pages to do it.
Regards
Tony.

49th message | this message only posted: 16 Oct 2017 18:49
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Tony,

Yes an A4 printer is fine - either colour or B&W. A3 or larger is even better of course. The trackpad->page outlines for printer menu option allow the currently selected printer paper size to be seen on the trackpad as you work on your plan.

I print out the pages I need and then use a scalpel or stanley knife to trim off the margins. You can then either glue them down carefully or use sellotape or similar.

There are lots of options for printing to explore. The Output->Print Background Templates menu option is the one to use to print all the items in the storage box(ie your trackplan)

Rob

50th message | this message only posted: 16 Oct 2017 19:42
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Tony McGartland wrote: Would a bog standard A4 printer be able to print and allow me to glue templates together?Hi Tony,

Sure. That's the primary purpose of Templot. See the typical printed pages at the bottom of the home page:

http://templot.com/companion/templot_home.html

To get the best fit on the printed templates, Templot rotates the screen view through 90 degrees when printing. This means that the top edge of the printed page always corresponds to the left edge of the screen view.

This sometimes causes confusion for new Templot users -- generally you will get the best results if you simply leave Templot on the default setting, which is called upright / end-run / portrait printing.

As a guide, Templot can display the printing page outlines on the screen as dotted lines.

Here are some diagrams to explain the orientation settings:

upright / end-run / portrait printing:

sideways / side-run / landscape printing:

For track construction the templates are normally printed on good quality plain paper (e.g. 100 gsm), or thin card (e.g. 160 gsm).

Pages are trimmed to the red lines and fitted together. 160gsm thin card is easier to use because the trimmed pages can be butted together like tiles. This leaves a flat surface for track construction.

regards,

Martin.

51st message | this message only posted: 16 Oct 2017 21:03
Tony McGartland
Omagh, Ireland

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, especially Martin himself. I was able to print off a drawing which I taped together. It gave me a really accurate output of what I am thinking of modelling to the correct scale. Superb programme!

This is topic ID = 3080     Page created at 02:51 (local time) Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
You can type a quick reply to this topic here.

Click in the box to begin.

But to reply to an individual message, or to include images, attachments and formatted text, use the reply buttons on each message above.

To start a new topic in this forum, click the Start new topic button below.
To start a new topic in a different forum, click the Forum Jump drop-down list below.

Start new topic 

click to jump to a different forum:     Back to top of page

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > First Outing on the Permanent Way
about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Old Templot Companion Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines only

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2017