topic: 3080First Outing on the Permanent Way
author remove search highlighting

posted: 15 Sep 2017 06:53

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Its only right that I don't jump in and take on things that by-pass the basics. Watched the first video and took all in before deciding to go ahead and follow the routines in the video. 
Silly question but how do I draw a straight piece of track or is the default 'straight' always a turnout?

posted: 15 Sep 2017 10:47

John Palmer

To convert a template with a turnout to plain track: (Menu) template -> convert to plain track.
To convert a curved template to a straight: (Menu) geometry -> straight.

posted: 15 Sep 2017 10:58

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Tony,

The quickest way is to use the Quick dialog box which you can call up with Ctrl-Q. In that dialog box you can select a turnout with a choice of switches and crossings and radii. But you can also select plain track, either straight or with a choice of radii.

You can also select the default turnout which appears when you start up Templot and use the "Template/Convert to plain Track" menu item when you are left with a plain track based on the main route through the template. To get the track straight, use the F6 Curving facility and type in a very high radius value - like 1000000 - and you get your line straight. I don't think Martin allowed for the insertion of infinity. :)

Jim.
Last edited on 15 Sep 2017 10:59 by Jim Guthrie
posted: 15 Sep 2017 11:52

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

Thanks Jim and John, will try that.
Cheers

posted: 15 Sep 2017 12:00

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Jim Guthrie wrote:
The quickest way is to use the Quick dialog box which you can call up with Ctrl-Q.
Hi Jim,

Or click the NEW button at the top of the screen.

To get the track straight, use the F6 Curving facility and type in a very high radius value - like 1000000 - and you get your line straight. I don't think Martin allowed for the insertion of infinity. :)

Or just click the geometry > straight menu item.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 15 Sep 2017 12:26

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Jim Guthrie wrote:
The quickest way is to use the Quick dialog box which you can call up with Ctrl-Q.
Hi Jim,

Or click the NEW button at the top of the screen.

To get the track straight, use the F6 Curving facility and type in a very high radius value - like 1000000 - and you get your line straight. I don't think Martin allowed for the insertion of infinity. :)

Or just click the geometry > straight menu item.

regards,

Martin.
Martin,

You must be tempted to give up in despair with all us ancients who still operate Templot as it was years ago.  :) :) :)

Jim.

posted: 15 Sep 2017 12:45

Martin Wynne

Jim Guthrie wrote:
Martin,

You must be tempted to give up in despair with all us ancients who still operate Templot as it was years ago.  :) :) :)
Hi Jim,

Not despair exactly, but it is the reason for paragraph 3 at:

http://templot.com/companion/terms_of_use.html

You can understand a beginner such as Tony getting mighty confused. That's why it's important that I do get on and make some progress with the Templot Companion. Just saying "lots of friendly help on Templot Club" isn't much help if the friends all say different things.

I do wonder how other software copes with this problem?

And having said I'm going to get on with the Templot Companion, I'm not actually doing it today or any other day for months now, because it is far more interesting to get on with the code for the NLS map imports, or the code for auto-generated outside slips, or the code for... :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 15 Sep 2017 20:22

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

I watched one of the video tutorials and found it very interesting. I've tried following the routines in the video and managed to keep up with things. I was not able to activate the command Ctrl + F6 Snake through Peg and was really puzzled as to what it does. Can someone explain please.
Last edited on 15 Sep 2017 20:23 by Tony McGartland
posted: 16 Sep 2017 08:39

Martin Wynne

Tony McGartland wrote:
I watched one of the video tutorials and found it very interesting. I've tried following the routines in the video and managed to keep up with things. I was not able to activate the command Ctrl + F6 Snake through Peg and was really puzzled as to what it does. Can someone explain please.
Hi Tony,

If CTRL+F6 doesn't work on your system, you can instead simply press 6 on the main keyboard. The same applies to the other CTRL+F functions.

If that also doesn't work, all the mouse actions can be accessed from the action menu.

There are two related functions, snake and slide. I have made you a bit of scruff video showing them in action:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=6WxyhoKGPkY4JeXVAjxuTA2

The snake through peg mouse action translates the control template along its alignment, leaving its fixing peg and its alignment fixed in position on the trackpad. This means it remains in alignment with other templates, even if there is a gap between them. If its fixing peg is not on the main-road centre-line, it is moved there when this mouse action starts.

In the video the template alignment is in a separate background template so that you can see what is happening. That is not usually the case of course.

The slide through peg mouse action moves the fixing peg along its current centre-line and shifts/rotates the template on the trackpad to keep the fixing peg fixed in position on the trackpad. The template alignment shifts with the template.

If the peg is on the main-road centre-line and the template is not on a transition curve or slewed, these two mouse actions are very similar in end result. Otherwise they produce different results as you can see in the video.

In practice, snake tends to be used much more often than slide.

Note in the video that although the red fixing peg appears to get "left behind" it is still part of the control template. Each template has its own fixing peg, which can be anywhere -- it doesn't have to be within its boundary.

If my explanations above are impenetrable, sorry about that. Folks often complain that my use of English leaves them none the wiser. Perhaps someone else will jump in with an explanation in different words.

There is another mouse action called roam (beginner button or CTRL+F9 or 9), which can often be used instead, and is perhaps easier to understand. There is a more detailed explanation of that in a proper video (i.e. edited, non-scruff) here:

http://templot.com/companion/4_where_do_i_start.html

There is a further mouse action called orbit (CTRL+F5 or 5) which could often be used too. In this case the fixing peg remains in its position on the control template and takes no part in the process. Try it and see. :)

regards,

Martin. 

posted: 17 Sep 2017 14:56

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

Martin, there was a very simple explanation for the problem that I'm almost embarrassed to tell you about. On the Mac the Function keys require a Function (Fn) key to be held with the required F key. Since I never use Function keys on the Mac I simply didn't know. My apologies.

posted: 17 Sep 2017 15:18

Martin Wynne

Hi Tony,

Glad you found the answer. :)

No reason to be embarrassed. I know nothing at all about Macs, having never used one.

And there is masses of simple stuff on Windows that still comes as a surprise to me.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 5 Oct 2017 06:59

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

A few basics I don't understand.......
1. The 'peg' is the red marker on the track?
2. If I lay a length of straight track and apply a curve to it. How can I make that or any section of track 'live' if I return to it later to make further changes?

Last edited on 7 Oct 2017 19:08 by Tony McGartland
posted: 7 Oct 2017 23:26

Martin Wynne

Tony McGartland wrote:
2. If I lay a length of straight track and apply a curve to it. How can I make that or any section of track 'live' if I return to it later to make further changes?
Hi Tony,

Sorry I didn't see this message until now. I will reply shortly.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 8 Oct 2017 01:52

Martin Wynne

Tony McGartland wrote:
Hi Tony,

Yes, every template has its own fixing peg:

pad_symbols.pngpad_symbols.png

You can imagine the red fixing peg as a "drawing pin" locating a paper template on the baseboard.

For example try the CTRL-F8 move peg mouse action (or just the 8 key). Moving the mouse from side to side slides the red peg symbol along the track centre-line. Leave it somewhere near the middle of the turnout. If you now try the F6 curving action you will see that the response is slightly different, with the turnout "fixed" to the pad at the peg. Try also the F8 rotate mouse action.

More about the fixing peg here:

http://www.templot.com/martweb/gs_geometry.htm

Click on the template which you want. It will highlight in white, and its menu will appear on the left of the screen. Click the make the control menu item, or press M on the keyboard:

2_072045_400000000.png2_072045_400000000.png

The background template is transferred into the control template so that you can make changes to it.

And the previous control template is stored as a background template:

2_072045_410000001.png2_072045_410000001.png

regards,

Martin.

posted: 8 Oct 2017 20:23

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

Martin, thanks for this very informative reply. I spent a fair bit of the day exploring many commands. There is so much to learn, I'm being a disciplined as possible.

Is it possible to add a straight bit of track to another to continue a curve with a different radius, or is there an easier way to do this?

posted: 8 Oct 2017 22:20

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Tony McGartland wrote:
Martin, thanks for this very informative reply. I spent a fair bit of the day exploring many commands. There is so much to learn, I'm being a disciplined as possible.

Is it possible to add a straight bit of track to another to continue a curve with a different radius, or is there an easier way to do this?
Hi Tony.
This can be done simply with the shift and join button at the top of the screen. When you move the ends of the two templates close enough they will snap together automatically.
There is also a rather more elegant way of of doing this with the transition curve method.
Move the peg to the end of the template you wish to fix or peg to the Trackpad. Ctrl 0 or Ctrl 1.
Use the F4 key to extend the length of the control template. Then selected the Geometry drop down menu, go to the transition curve sub menu and choose one of the options such as C curve expanding transition. This will generate a transition curve with the larger radius twice the smaller one if your starting track was curved. Now repeat the process but this time choose the Zero-length instant transition at peg option. You can now adjust the boundary between the two radius by using Shift + Ctrl + F3 adjust transition start position. You can adjust the radii of either using the F6 key (note which radius is being altered which can be changed with Shift + Crtl + F1 or Shift + Ctrl + F2.
This method is one that I use a great deal when planning of variable curves as it allows much more precise alignments to be created than using individual curves and straights so pays dividends later. It also demonstrates I think the power of the program and gives a glimpse of the possibilities within.
Regards
Tony.
Martin will probably explain an easier way of doing the above that I have missed.

posted: 9 Oct 2017 06:50

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

Tony, thanks for that. Makes perfect sense but having laid one piece of track when I go to elect another, it cause my first piece to take on the new command and move from its position.......

posted: 9 Oct 2017 09:14

Tony W

Tony McGartland wrote:
Tony, thanks for that. Makes perfect sense but having laid one piece of track when I go to elect another, it cause my first piece to take on the new command and move from its position.......
Did you save your Control template to the storage box first? The easy way to do this is to use the insert key. In Templot you build up a track plan as a series of background templates (shown in Blue on the Trackpad) in the storage box. You can only alter the Control template (shown in white). To make a copy of a background template and leave the original where it is place the mouse pointer on the desired background template and either right or left click the mouse and select C copy to the control from the menu that comes up.
Don't forget to save the contents of the Storage box to your hard drive at the end of the session.  Open the storage box and click the save all button.
Regards
Tony.
PS I wrote a beginners guide for an earlier version, which is now a bit out of date but you may still find it useful as it explains many of the basics. It can be found here http://templot.com/companion/beginners_guide_tony_wilkins.html

Last edited on 9 Oct 2017 09:31 by Tony W
posted: 9 Oct 2017 12:58

Martin Wynne

Tony McGartland wrote:
Hi Tony,

Going back to the original question, yes it is possible. :)

However, it is not really something you should want to do. You are approaching Templot as if it is a "pick and place" program like AnyRail, XTrackCAD, and many others. It isn't.

Tony W has explained some of the alternatives, but the basic answer without dropping to the low-level functions, is "extend and split". This is the usual way to finish with one template and start with the next one, when there isn't a specific tools function to do what you want. By splitting from the first template you retain all its settings, and the initial curving radius will match.

I really must soon do some more on the new Templot Explained beginners guide, but in the meantime I have made you a bit of scruff video showing "extend and split". For plain track templates it is necessary to use the peg to mark the split position. Here is the video: 

http://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=_HdPZUrRoP5SIkRUmkIa5g2

p.s. before repeating the process for the next template press CTRL+N, template > swap end-for-end. Otherwise you would need to do make the control on the new background template. Try it and see.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 9 Oct 2017 20:22

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

3466_091523_460000000.png3466_091523_460000000.pngMartin, I appreciate this. To be honest,your video was pretty good and I managed to get the hang of it. Is it fair to say that laying track over a drawing could mean quite a few splits and movement of the peg to trace the layout of the track accurately?

I did a small section of track and I had to move the peg 4 times to obtain an accurate curve over my background drawing.
Last edited on 9 Oct 2017 20:23 by Tony McGartland
posted: 9 Oct 2017 22:00

Martin Wynne

Tony McGartland wrote:
Is it fair to say that laying track over a drawing could mean quite a few splits and movement of the peg to trace the layout of the track accurately?
Hi Tony,

You are determined to jump in the deep end!

Aligning tracks over a background image is tricky. Even the original designer of your goods yard didn't have to do that. Normally I suggest not to try it until you have a good grasp of all the functions in Templot because you are likely to need all of them. This note is on the download page:

2_250040_080000000.png2_250040_080000000.png

Your method of stepping along the track in a series of short templates will obviously work, but then how are going to insert the pointwork where it's needed?

Unless tracks are obviously dead straight, the usual method I would use is to add several strategic dummy templates using the CTRL+F10 swell function. You can then create transition curves between them, and later delete the dummy templates. Even then you may need an occasional slew as the only way to get an exact match. Sometimes the only possible conclusion is that the map must be wrong.

More about using CTRL+F10 swell here:

http://templot.com/companion/swell_function_ctrl_f10.html

More about creating a transition curve between dummy templates here:

http://templot.com/companion/link_existing.html

regards,

Martin.

posted: 10 Oct 2017 05:57

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

Making a fresh new start......
Last edited on 14 Oct 2017 06:37 by Tony McGartland
posted: 14 Oct 2017 06:47

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

Martin Wynne wrote:
Tony McGartland wrote:
Hi Tony,

Going back to the original question, yes it is possible. :)

However, it is not really something you should want to do. You are approaching Templot as if it is a "pick and place" program like AnyRail, XTrackCAD, and many others. It isn't.

Tony W has explained some of the alternatives, but the basic answer without dropping to the low-level functions, is "extend and split". This is the usual way to finish with one template and start with the next one, when there isn't a specific tools function to do what you want. By splitting from the first template you retain all its settings, and the initial curving radius will match.

I really must soon do some more on the new Templot Explained beginners guide, but in the meantime I have made you a bit of scruff video showing "extend and split". For plain track templates it is necessary to use the peg to mark the split position. Here is the video: 

http://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=_HdPZUrRoP5SIkRUmkIa5g2

p.s. before repeating the process for the next template press CTRL+N, template > swap end-for-end. Otherwise you would need to do make the control on the new background template. Try it and see.

regards,

Martin.
I'm determined to grasp this, I'm back to the basics!

posted: 14 Oct 2017 08:25

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

3466_140327_330000000.png3466_140327_330000000.png

I am working through a section of track which has a simple turnout and a Y crossing right into the siding. This Y branches off at one side (where I have placed my peg) to a turntable and the other to an engine shed. Can I insert a I at the peg?
Last edited on 14 Oct 2017 08:28 by Tony McGartland
posted: posted: 14 Oct 2017 08:32

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

3466_140333_310000000.png3466_140333_310000000.pngThink I've got it, I made a split at the peg, highlighted the branch, made it the control, then placed the turnout. Its a left-hand turnout, can I change this for a Y.
Last edited on 14 Oct 2017 08:33 by Tony McGartland
14 Oct 2017 08:32

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

Think I've got it, I made a split at the peg, highlighted the branch, made it the control, then placed the turnout. Its a left-hand turnout, can I change this for a Y.

posted: 14 Oct 2017 13:42

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

Hello Tony

The way I would do that (which may not be the 'official' way) would be to curve the control template along the route you want and then change the vee to a curviform and then increase/decrease the angle until you get it how you want. (trying to keep to whole or half numbers- ie 6,6.5,7 etc)

That will give you a very close approximation of a Y. Also set timbering to equalised.

To get a more precise Y, you need to use partial templates, including half an ordinary crossover, but if I understand rightly you aren't quite at that point yet.

I'm sure others will be better placed how to make a more precise Y when you are ready to do so. Good luck.

posted: 14 Oct 2017 13:57

Martin Wynne

Tony McGartland wrote:
Think I've got it, I made a split at the peg, highlighted the branch, made it the control, then placed the turnout. Its a left-hand turnout, can I change this for a Y.
Hi Tony,

You don't need a Y-turnout. Beginners keep asking for Y-turnouts, but they are really quite rare on the prototype. Unless you have actual prototype evidence of a split-deflection switch, all you need to do is to apply some contraflexure (negative curving radius) to an ordinary turnout.

Quite often when you do that, you will also want to change to a curviform V-crossing, so that the branch track diverges rapidly and curves away from the main road. But don't do that if the turnout is part of a curved crossover, leave it as (or change it to) a regular V-crossing.

You don't need to make a split to get a turnout where you want it. You can simply roam it into position. You can split off the approach and/or exit tracks afterwards if needed.

All that in this scruff video:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=UalU_1Uz_WjSC4_ftCxHsA2

Note however how scruffy it is - in the last few frames I failed to release the mouse action before stopping it, resulting in an unintended change in the radius.

I'm finding making these videos really hard work nowadays. It took me about an hour to make this one, and edit it to being remotely usable on all screen sizes. :(

More about curviform V-crossings here:

http://www.templot.com/martweb/gs_realtrack.htm#xing_types

regards,

Martin.

posted: 14 Oct 2017 14:44

Martin Wynne

p.s.

Note that in the video I used the menus to swap facing/trailing and swap hand.

These frequently used functions are also available on the beginner buttons:

2_140940_220000000.png2_140940_220000000.png

In addition to the keyboard shortcuts which I would normally use (CTRL+N, CTRL+X).

Martin.

posted: 14 Oct 2017 15:03

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

3466_141004_080000000.png3466_141004_080000000.pngMartin, the videos are always welcome. I've done a little more but how how I extend the two branches coming off the turnout with straight track segments going into a shed?
Last edited on 14 Oct 2017 15:04 by Tony McGartland
posted: 14 Oct 2017 15:31

Martin Wynne

Tony McGartland wrote:
I've done a little more but how how I extend the two branches coming off the turnout with straight track segments going into a shed?
Hi Tony,

You could split off, or add, separate straight templates, but the easy way is to first extend sufficient length (F4) on the existing templates and then click geometry > transition curve > easement to straight.

For the turnout, put the peg on CTRL-0 first.

For the lower track in your screenshot, you need to swap end-for-end first. (Or else do easement from straight instead).

Then use SHIFT+CTRL+F3 and SHIFT+CTRL+F4 to get the change from curve to straight where you want it. Just play about with them to see the effects, I don't think I have the strength to make another video today. You can use the quick keys [ and ] instead on most systems.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 14 Oct 2017 16:58

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

Martin,
I will explore myself, don't worry about the video. I'll read through some of the other postings, theres always a lot to learn from others

Martin Wynne wrote:
Tony McGartland wrote:
I've done a little more but how how I extend the two branches coming off the turnout with straight track segments going into a shed?
Hi Tony,

You could split off, or add, separate straight templates, but the easy way is to first extend sufficient length (F4) on the existing templates and then click geometry > transition curve > easement to straight.

For the turnout, put the peg on CTRL-0 first.

For the lower track in your screenshot, you need to swap end-for-end first. (Or else do easement from straight instead).

Then use SHIFT+CTRL+F3 and SHIFT+CTRL+F4 to get the change from curve to straight where you want it. Just play about with them to see the effects, I don't think I have the strength to make another video today. You can use the quick keys [ and ] instead on most systems.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 14 Oct 2017 17:26

Martin Wynne

Tony McGartland wrote:
I will explore myself, don't worry about the video. I'll read through some of the other postings, theres always a lot to learn from others
Hi Tony,

I have now had a nice boiled egg and put on thicker socks, so I will make you a bit more video shortly.

Tracks in an engine shed are typically at 15ft centres:

2_041420_120000000.png2_041420_120000000.png

It would make a nice exercise to put that image on the trackpad as a guide.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 15 Oct 2017 00:54

Martin Wynne

Martin Wynne wrote:
I have now had a nice boiled egg and put on thicker socks, so I will make you a bit more video shortly.
Hi Tony,

Another video, creating your engine shed tracks:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=Bxx5m6dSF5usPBJVhpWTYw2

regards,

Martin.

posted: 15 Oct 2017 07:35

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

Martin,
This was another very informative video, I appreciate the time you have taken to produce it. It really shows how powerful the programme is and yet how simple (when you know) it is to use. I've a lot of reading and video to get through here today to keep me busy. Its now time for my 'nice boiled egg' too, cheers!

posted: 16 Oct 2017 06:30

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

Martin, going through your tutorial video at moment. When I go to 'transition curve' - 'Easement to Straight' the arrow points in the opposite direction to yours? Why is this.......

also, I tried printing the drawing just to see what it looked like and although the quality was perfect, the printer didn't seem to print it all. Is it better to export to pdf for printing?
Last edited on 16 Oct 2017 10:30 by Tony McGartland
posted: 16 Oct 2017 11:12

Tony W

Tony McGartland wrote:
Martin, going through your tutorial video at moment. When I go to 'transition curve' - 'Easement to Straight' the arrow points in the opposite direction to yours? Why is this.......
Hi Tony.
It all depends which end of the template is attached to the previous one (Ctrl 0 or Ctrl 1). For a length of plain track Ctrl 1 is the reference end and has the line across the end.
To change it Wipe the template to the control, if it is not already the control template, and swap end for end (Ctrl + n), it will then match the tutorial.

also, I tried printing the drawing just to see what it looked like and although the quality was perfect, the printer didn't seem to print it all. Is it better to export to pdf for printing?
What did you ask Templot to print?
If you used the print now option there are three choices, print just the control template (the black and grey one) or print all the background templates (the blue ones) or print group (only available if a group is selected. These options will produce an uncalibrated printout whose accuracy is not guaranteed. For a more accurate printout use the Output option, which is far more flexible, but you must set up the printer at the bottom of this menu first.
It does not need to be converted to a PDF unless you are going to have it commercially printed.
Regards
Tony.

Last edited on 16 Oct 2017 13:29 by Tony W
posted: 16 Oct 2017 12:30

Martin Wynne

Tony McGartland wrote:
Hi Tony,

That is actually the better way round because it means the rail lengths and timbering are originating from the vee rail joints on the turnout.

Click the template > swap end-for-end menu item to swap a template end-for end, or press CTRL+N.

Note however that it has also swapped the 1st and 2nd radii when you want to adjust them, and an easement to straight becomes an easement from straight.

But I'm puzzled how you got there by following the video, perhaps you could post a screenshot?

I tried printing the drawing just to see what it looked like and although the quality was perfect, the printer didn't seem to print it all. Is it better to export to pdf for printing?
There's no need to export a PDF simply to print, it is better to print directly from Templot. Whatever was missing in the print would also be missing in the PDF.

The two most likely explanations are:

1. you printed the control template (F11) instead of the entire track plan (all background templates, CTRL+F11). When you print the control template, only those background templates which happen to be on the same page(s) get printed.

or

2. part of your track plan is in the negative quadrants on the grid. In order to print them you would need to move the page origin (SHIFT+CTRL+F10). But it is generally better to keep everything in the positive quadrant my moving the entire track plan (SHIFT+CTRL+F7 or just press the BACKSLASH key).

regards,

Martin.

posted: 16 Oct 2017 12:48

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

3466_160749_000000000.png3466_160749_000000000.pngI imported the actual engineers drawing that I want to work on and I followed your video up to the point where 'easement from straight' occurred. As you can see the arrow faces the wrong way. I also have to adjust the other tracks on the mainline but can go to them later. I cannot find the actual menu command where you performed the straightening of the curved section in the engine shed.
Ps. What are the little tags on the shot TR014 etc?
Last edited on 16 Oct 2017 12:50 by Tony McGartland
posted: 16 Oct 2017 13:07

Martin Wynne

Hi Tony,

Thanks for posting that. But it has a left-hand turnout and is different from the screenshot which you posted previously:

3466_141004_080000000.png3466_141004_080000000.png

which had a right-hand turnout and which I used as a starting point for the video.

So it's difficult to know exactly what you clicked to get there. As it stands it looks that you would need to click geometry > transition curve > swap transition radii to get what you want.

Ps. What are the little tags on the shot TR014 etc?
Little tags? Do you mean the template name labels? You can turn them off if not wanted by pressing the END key, or trackpad > hide name labels.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 16 Oct 2017 14:04

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

To be honest Martin, I have run through you tutorial video a few times creating various track arrangements. I will go through the tutorial exactly as you have shown so I know how it works.

Two questions I'd like to ask.

Can the background imported image be hidden with an on/off function?

Can the scale be changed either during or at the end - change from 5'3" to 00 without any errors?

posted: 16 Oct 2017 14:21

Martin Wynne

Tony W wrote:
These options will produce an uncalibrated printout whose accuracy is not guaranteed.
Hi Tony,

Just to clarify that print-now! does use calibration data if it is available. But doesn't suggest calibrating the printer if not, to avoid interrupting the print process.

The biggest warning with print-now! is that it will print ALL the pages, which could be dozens. There is no option to stop it or select which pages to print.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 16 Oct 2017 14:37

Martin Wynne

Tony McGartland wrote:
Can the background imported image be hidden with an on/off function?
Hi Tony,

Yes. Press SHIFT+HOME to toggle all background shapes on and off, or click the trackpad > trackpad background options > hide background shapes menu item.

If you want to hide just one background shape, select it on the list and then untick the show on trackpad box:

2_160932_130000000.png2_160932_130000000.png

Can the scale be changed either during or at the end - change from 5'3" to 00 without any errors?

Yes and no. There will be some misalignments. See:

topic 3086 - message 22111

Because of the big change in the gauge:scale ratio for 00, it is not going to convert very well. It will need the templates to be re-aligned -- whether that is better or worse than starting again is up to you. :?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 16 Oct 2017 15:40

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

Hi Martin, our College closed today because of the storm so I'm on overdrive with Templot this afternoon.

The layout I am hoping to model is impossible to build as is. What I proposed to do was model various aspects of the engineers drawings and bring them together on my baseboard.

To create a circuit in 4mm would be impossible without some sort of 'modellers licence'.

Bringing various aspects of the general station area, Goods Yard and engine shed together as one would work around a circuit with some freedom from the original track layout.
Last edited on 16 Oct 2017 15:40 by Tony McGartland
posted: 16 Oct 2017 15:49

Martin Wynne

Tony McGartland wrote:
To create a circuit in 4mm would be impossible without some sort of 'modellers licence'.

Bringing various aspects of the general station area, Goods Yard and engine shed together as one would work around a circuit with some freedom from the original track layout.
Hi Tony,

See also:

http://templot.com/companion/wrap_picture_shape_to_curve.html

regards,

Martin.

posted: 16 Oct 2017 17:18

Tony W

Martin Wynne wrote:
Tony W wrote:
These options will produce an uncalibrated printout whose accuracy is not guaranteed.
Hi Tony,

Just to clarify that print-now! does use calibration data if it is available. But doesn't suggest calibrating the printer if not, to avoid interrupting the print process.

The biggest warning with print-now! is that it will print ALL the pages, which could be dozens. There is no option to stop it or select which pages to print.

regards,

Martin.
Hi Martin.
Thanks for the clarification of the Print-now option and calibration. That certainly isn't obvious from the menu.
Personally I always use the output option so I can control what I want to print out and some of my track plans can be quite big.
Regards
Tony.

posted: 16 Oct 2017 17:57

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

Would a bog standard A4 printer be able to print and allow me to glue templates together?

posted: 16 Oct 2017 18:19

Tony W

Hi Tony.
Yes, but you may need quite a few pages to do it.
Regards
Tony.

posted: 16 Oct 2017 18:49

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Tony,

Yes an A4 printer is fine - either colour or B&W. A3 or larger is even better of course. The trackpad->page outlines for printer menu option allow the currently selected printer paper size to be seen on the trackpad as you work on your plan.

I print out the pages I need and then use a scalpel or stanley knife to trim off the margins. You can then either glue them down carefully or use sellotape or similar.

There are lots of options for printing to explore. The Output->Print Background Templates menu option is the one to use to print all the items in the storage box(ie your trackplan)

Rob

posted: 16 Oct 2017 19:42

Martin Wynne

Tony McGartland wrote:
Would a bog standard A4 printer be able to print and allow me to glue templates together?
Hi Tony,

Sure. That's the primary purpose of Templot. See the typical printed pages at the bottom of the home page:

http://templot.com/companion/templot_home.html

To get the best fit on the printed templates, Templot rotates the screen view through 90 degrees when printing. This means that the top edge of the printed page always corresponds to the left edge of the screen view.

This sometimes causes confusion for new Templot users -- generally you will get the best results if you simply leave Templot on the default setting, which is called upright / end-run / portrait printing.

As a guide, Templot can display the printing page outlines on the screen as dotted lines.

Here are some diagrams to explain the orientation settings:

upright / end-run / portrait printing:

print_orient_endrun_screen.pngprint_orient_endrun_screen.png

print_orient_endrun_print.pngprint_orient_endrun_print.png

sideways / side-run / landscape printing:

print_orient_siderun_screen.pngprint_orient_siderun_screen.png

print_orient_siderun_print.pngprint_orient_siderun_print.png

For track construction the templates are normally printed on good quality plain paper (e.g. 100 gsm), or thin card (e.g. 160 gsm).

Pages are trimmed to the red lines and fitted together. 160gsm thin card is easier to use because the trimmed pages can be butted together like tiles. This leaves a flat surface for track construction.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 16 Oct 2017 21:03

Tony McGartland

Omagh - Ireland

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, especially Martin himself. I was able to print off a drawing which I taped together. It gave me a really accurate output of what I am thinking of modelling to the correct scale. Superb programme!

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > First Outing on the Permanent Way
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020