Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3087Triple Crossover
author remove search highlighting

posted: 27 Sep 2017 16:11

Cornelis de Groot

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi just a brief introduction of myself. I live and work in Australia and am building a Dutch layout. In the old Utrecht central station they had around 6 sets of these. It allowed short EMU's to stop at say platforms 4a and 4b. Yet a long train would be just at platform 4 taking up both a and b sections. Short trains could pass each other through the centre.

I want to build this in HO 16.5 mm with a track distance of 51-54 mm and in code 83 FB.

I am familair with CAD and find this program very impressive. I have built over the years a number off ordinary points but not an assembly like this.

I would prefer symmetrical 3-way points (frogs at the same alignment), but non-symmetrical ones will be fine too.

Is there someone out there who has built something like this and could share the template please?

Regards

Cornelis

posted: 27 Sep 2017 16:28

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Cornelis de Groot wrote:
I want to build this in HO 16.5 mm with a track distance of 51-54 mm and in code 83 FB.
Hi Cornelis,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

That's a common operating practice at UK stations too. I think you mean a "scissors" crossover?

1200px-A_scissors_crossover_at_Uraga.JPG1200px-A_scissors_crossover_at_Uraga.JPG
Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication

There are some notes on scissors crosovers here:

topic 2930 - message 20790

If you post a track plan or photo, we can be sure we are talking about the same thing.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Sep 2017 16:35

Cornelis de Groot

Hi Martin
Yes that is more or less it. However I like to have a triple sciccor crossover. I had already uploaded a picture (see gallery) but will do it again and try inserting this time.
Regards

Cornelis3467_271134_080000000.jpg3467_271134_080000000.jpg

Martin Wynne wrote:
Cornelis de Groot wrote:
Hi Cornelis,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

That's a common operating practice at UK stations too. I think you mean a "scissors" crossover?

1200px-A_scissors_crossover_at_Uraga.JPG1200px-A_scissors_crossover_at_Uraga.JPG
Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication

There are some notes on scissors crosovers here:

topic 2930 - message 20790

If you post a track plan or photo, we can be sure we are talking about the same thing.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Sep 2017 17:36

Nigel Brown

Never thought about it before but how do P*c* get the frogs on a 3-way aligned? Is the left-hand road sharper than the right-hand road?

posted: 27 Sep 2017 19:05

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Nigel Brown wrote:
Never thought about it before but how do P*c* get the frogs on a 3-way aligned? Is the left-hand road sharper than the right-hand road?
Hi Nigel.
It depends on the formation.
With a Tandem Turnout, the two base turnouts will need to be somewhat different in order for the two far crossings to have their nose on the same A timber and allow the first set of switches enough distance to clear the second set of switches. There will be a limited number of combinations where this is possible.
For a Three Throw Turnout, where the switch blades coincide, both base Turnouts will be the same just of opposite hand.
Regards.
Tony.

posted: 20 Nov 2017 14:54

Cornelis de Groot

Gents

I came across this guy from Indonesia who builds these and also other point configurations as custome made to order.

His work is very good. I had some other things on my mind so I had them built. His turn-around time was 3-weeks. I told him I was not in a rush. The arived just under 5-weeks after order/payment.

He charged $435 USD for the two sets in code 83 Micro Engineering stock rails inc delivery. His name is Andreas Jodie but insists on being called Jodie. I tried explaining to him that is rude in our view but that didn't make any difference. I gave him a $40 USD tip of which he only accepted $20 USD.

Here are some pictures. Electrically only the frogs are isolated, I have not ran a train over them but with the multimeter it sure works well. He used double sided PC board, that would be how he got the polarity transferred to the crossings and wherever PCB's are not required; he used laser cut timber for the ties. The running characteristics of stock coaches is superb.

The rest of the simple points I will be making myself and will use templot for the templates. I know sharing these images is kind of risky on this site! However this is worth knowing.

His email address is: pinguintrains@gmail.com

Regards

Cornelis
3467_200941_330000000.jpg3467_200941_330000000.jpg
3467_200942_010000000.jpg3467_200942_010000000.jpg
3467_200942_330000000.jpg3467_200942_330000000.jpg
3467_200943_230000000.jpg3467_200943_230000000.jpg

Tony W wrote:
Nigel Brown wrote:
Hi Nigel.
It depends on the formation.
With a Tandem Turnout, the two base turnouts will need to be somewhat different in order for the two far crossings to have their nose on the same A timber and allow the first set of switches enough distance to clear the second set of switches. There will be a limited number of combinations where this is possible.
For a Three Throw Turnout, where the switch blades coincide, both base Turnouts will be the same just of opposite hand.
Regards.
Tony.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Triple Crossover
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020