posted: 2 Oct 2017 23:00

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Dear all,

There is a major fatal bug in 215c.

DO NOT use the "pre-set" option when setting the adjacent track centres. Templot will crash and you will lose work.

I will get this fixed and post an update overnight. Thanks to Rodger Chaplin for reporting it.

I'm very sorry this has happened.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 3 Oct 2017 00:14

Ian Allen

Milton Keynes - United Kingdom

Martin,

Thanks for the warning. I must say it's the first instance I can recollect in 19 years where Templot would crash like this.

We are all grateful for the work you do with Templot.

Regards

Ian

posted: 3 Oct 2017 02:43

Martin Wynne

Thanks Ian.

Now fixed in 215d, I hope.

Or at least, I have fixed the floating-point maths exception. But it should have been trapped without causing Templot to crash, and I need to look deeper and see how that was able to happen. But that might take a day or two.

Yes, that was the worst bug in 19 years of Templot. :(

It has shaken me up to discover I released a version of Templot with such a bug in it. I can't understand how I could have made such a silly mistake, and then failed to find it when testing.

For anyone interested, I commented out these two lines while testing, and then forgot to uncomment them:

if od[0]=def_req then od[0]:=134;
if od[1]=def_req then od[1]:=134;

I normally put a flag on code changed for testing, and then do a global search for any flags remaining before the final builds. So that was something else I forgot to do. :(

I've been aware for some time that my 69-year-old brain is not the 50-year-old one I had when I first released Templot. I make silly mistakes, lose concentration, forget things. I try to compensate by double-checking everything several times, but clearly that was not enough to find this bug.

I'm worried that a time will come when my dabbling in the code will do more damage than good. If that happens I do hope someone here will tell me.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 3 Oct 2017 02:49

d827kelly

Coventry - United Kingdom

Even with all the testing you could do, bugs will slip by.

It was found, reported and fixed very quickly. That is the more important thing really.

posted: 3 Oct 2017 07:56

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Hi Martin

I have downloaded the latest update to my laptop, the other two PCs are yet to be done, but I am getting blocked by AVG from opening it, see the attached screen shots.38_030251_040000000.png38_030251_040000000.png

I have clicked on the I trust this file and now get this next image.

38_030253_160000000.png38_030253_160000000.png

My problem is I don't have a clue how to configure settings to allow me to open Templot. This is the first time AVG has blocked Templot. I am using Win 7 .

Phil

posted: 3 Oct 2017 08:20

wcampbell23

Hamilton, Scotland - United Kingdom

Hi Martin

Same problem here - Windows 7, AVG anti-virus on an HP Pavilion with an AMD processor.

Regards.

Bill Campbell.

posted: 3 Oct 2017 08:45

Matt M.

Australia

Hi Guys,

You need to go into AVGm and specify the file path. It will give you a
a choice to browse and when you click on that Templot will appear in the list.
Click on the box at the side to tick and all should be well. AVG is getting a little aggressive these days.

Matt M.

posted: 3 Oct 2017 09:01

JFS

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:

It has shaken me up to discover I released a version of Templot with such a bug in it. I can't understand how I could have made such a silly mistake, and then failed to find it when testing.

As others have said, no need to beat yourself up - to err is human - and you are amongst sympathetic friends!

It seems to me that the rate of development of Templot is also as high as it has ever been, and if the penalty for that is an occasional slip, then for me at least, that is fine.  The automatic update process means up-versioning is no problem (at least for those of us who have already got shut of AVG!) so the fixes cause no hassle at all. Ultimately, when we use "free" software, we accept that we are all Beta Testers!

Why not have a day off and come back refreshed - I have just put a small donation in the pot so you can buy yourself a drink of your choosing!

Best wishes,

Howard
Last edited on 3 Oct 2017 09:06 by JFS
posted: 3 Oct 2017 09:29

Phil O

Matt M. wrote:
Hi Guys,

You need to go into AVGm and specify the file path. It will give you a
a choice to browse and when you click on that Templot will appear in the list.
Click on the box at the side to tick and all should be well. AVG is getting a little aggressive these days.

Matt M.

Thanks Matt 

I will give it a go, when I get home, later. 

Phil. 

posted: 3 Oct 2017 10:56

Nigel Brown

I clicked the This file is clean button on the message, which sent a message off to AVG. They responded that the file is clean. I can now load Templot2 OK without taking any further action.

Worth trying to see if it's now OK for everybody; if not the above process should work. They took about 1/2 hour to respond.

posted: 3 Oct 2017 12:15

Phil O

All sorted now, when I came home and opened up Templot all was well.

Thanks

Phil

posted: 3 Oct 2017 12:19

David Higgs

Bletchley - United Kingdom

I am getting a "Unable to obtain any update information for the Video tutorials" error since installing 215d.
Also my "background shapes" are appearing as a blank white rectangle, but this maybe something I'm doing wrong.

Regards

David

posted: 3 Oct 2017 13:50

Martin Wynne

Thanks for the comments.

So far 98 downloads of 215d by mid-day today, with just the usual handful of reported problems caused by false negatives in anti-virus software.

I don't really know what to do about that because it never happens here, and I don't have copies of the relevant software to provide instructions for changing the settings. For Windows 10 it is all totally unnecessary anyway, because that comes with a free fully-integrated copy of Windows Defender.

No doubt a digital certificate would help, but that can cost into 3-figures per year, which is not tenable for free software bearing in mind that it makes not a shred of difference to the actual program functionality.

In fact I have already paid that much for the NLS API subscriptions for the tiled maps -- which do add significantly to the program functionality -- so the cupboard is bare for the time being.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 3 Oct 2017 14:18

David Higgs

Martin,
I think you've hit the nail on the head; I'm just trying to sort out Nortons then I think everything will be ok.

Martin Wynne wrote:
So far 98 downloads of 215d by mid-day today, with just the usual handful of reported problems caused by false negatives in anti-virus software.

posted: 3 Oct 2017 14:24

Martin Wynne

David Higgs wrote:
I am getting a "Unable to obtain any update information for the Video tutorials" error since installing 215d.
Hi David,

Working ok here. Click the help > obtain video list menu item to try again. If it is caused by a problem with your internet connection, try restarting Windows.

Also my "background shapes" are appearing as a blank white rectangle
That means Templot can't find the .sk81, .sk82, ... image files.

Have you renamed the .bgs file(s)? You need to rename the corresponding .sk81, .sk82, ... files to match.

Have you installed 215d in a different location and moved the .bgs files? You need to move the corresponding .sk81, .sk82, ... files to the same location.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 3 Oct 2017 14:28

Martin Wynne

David Higgs wrote:
I'm just trying to sort out Nortons then I think everything will be ok.
Hi David,

Some info about Norton settings here:

topic 1791 - message 13269

Sorry I don't know if it is up to date, I have never used Norton.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 3 Oct 2017 14:37

David Higgs

Hi Martin,

Thank you for the link. In the mean time I did manage to download 215d by over ruling Nortons. All working ok so far!

Regards

David

posted: 3 Oct 2017 15:01

Matt M.

Australia

Hi Martin,

This AVG palaver is new from the last update. I personally don't like
AV programs that won't let me over-ride the blocking and insist on
calling home with information about what I'm loading on the computer.
It is a little bit like being hacked in itself.

Admittedly there was a list that appeared to include a choice of allowing
Templot to run while AVG was having a panic but it disappeared faster
than I could react.

Allowing the pathway using the menu worked for me straight away.

I only use AVG as I photograph records at the state archives and the
computers there are public access. They had a major problem of
things like shortcut viruses last year but finally have been
keeping a better eye on those machines.
While mostly working in the Apple OS occasionally I need to drop
something into Windows.

Mind you, AVG couldn't find one of the shortcut viruses on a scan
of the USB even though I was looking at the virus at the time so
I have my doubts on its usefulness.

Running Windows 7 on Bootcamp on Apple notebook.

Matt M.

posted: 3 Oct 2017 15:05

John Shelley

St Ciers Sur Gironde 33820 - France

Martin Wynne wrote:
Thanks for the comments.

I don't really know what to do about that because it never happens here, and I don't have copies of the relevant software to provide instructions for changing the settings. For Windows 10 it is all totally unnecessary anyway, because that comes with a free fully-integrated copy of Windows Defender.

No doubt a digital certificate would help, but that can cost into 3-figures per year, which is not tenable for free software bearing in mind that it makes not a shred of difference to the actual program functionality.

In fact I have already paid that much for the NLS API subscriptions for the tiled maps -- which do add significantly to the program functionality -- so the cupboard is bare for the time being.

regards,

Martin.
No problems here with Avira (free version), on Windows 7

John, from 33820  St Ciers sur Gironde

posted: 3 Oct 2017 15:19

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:

No problems installing on a memory stick at work using the free Security Essentials on Win7, I anticipate no problems at home using the free Windows Defender on my Win10 system at home, nor do I anticipate any problems running it on my Mac under Wine.  I gave up with 3rd party AV software many years ago as being totally unnecessary and in some cases less effective than the free/bundled MS product!  Number of viruses contracted?  None.

posted: 3 Oct 2017 15:25

Martin Wynne

Paul Boyd wrote:
No problems installing on a memory stick at work using the free MS Security Essentials on Win7, I anticipate no problems at home using the free Windows Defender on my Win10 system at home, nor do I anticipate any problems running it on my Mac under Wine. I gave up with 3rd party AV software many years ago as being totally unnecessary and in some cases less effective than the free/bundled MS product!  Number of viruses contracted? None.
Thanks Paul.

That exactly mirrors my own experience.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 3 Oct 2017 15:31

DaveJ61

Northampton - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Paul Boyd wrote:
No problems installing on a memory stick at work using the free MS Security Essentials on Win7, I anticipate no problems at home using the free Windows Defender on my Win10 system at home, nor do I anticipate any problems running it on my Mac under Wine. I gave up with 3rd party AV software many years ago as being totally unnecessary and in some cases less effective than the free/bundled MS product!  Number of viruses contracted? None.
Thanks Paul.

That exactly mirrors my own experience.

regards,

Martin.

My thoughts exactly. Defender is perfectly adequate enough. Never had a problem.

David

posted: 3 Oct 2017 15:42

stuart1600

United Kingdom

I was a bit concerned to read of the problems some of you have had with AVG when uploading Templot.  I have AVG Internet Security package running on a PC with Win7 Home Premium version.
I've just uploaded 215d and it installed perfectly, as usual, without a murmur from AVG, which leaves me a bit puzzled, but relieved!
Am I living in a charmed parallel universe?
Stuart...

posted: 3 Oct 2017 16:27

Martin Wynne

stuart1600 wrote:
I've just uploaded 215d and it installed perfectly, as usual, without a murmur from AVG, which leaves me a bit puzzled, but relieved!
Hi Stuart,

That's what baffles me too.

Between February and September this year there were 2940 downloads of version 214b, with only a handful of reports of any problems.

Which tends to suggest that the Templot installer program is fine and doesn't need any changes. And I haven't made any -- it is still exactly the same installer* for 215d.

Yet every time I release an update I know that there will be some reports of problems, and I'm at a complete loss to know what to say to them. Being able to replicate the problem here might help, but I can't. On every system I try it works just fine. If it didn't I would have done something about it by now.

*Many thanks to Jordan Russell for Inno Setup.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 3 Oct 2017 16:39

Martin Dobbins

Memphis - Tennessee USA

If it is any consolation your batting average over the past 19 years would have put the Microsoft team to shame.  Even now, considering Microsoft could field two full professional test teams, your averages look a heck of a lot better than theirs.  Considering that you are a one man band, I think you should feel proud.
Martin
Martin Wynne wrote:
Thanks Ian.

Now fixed in 215d, I hope.

Or at least, I have fixed the floating-point maths exception. But it should have been trapped without causing Templot to crash, and I need to look deeper and see how that was able to happen. But that might take a day or two.

For anyone interested, I commented out these two lines while testing, and then forgot to uncomment them:

if od[0]=def_req then od[0]:=134;
if od[1]=def_req then od[1]:=134;

I normally put a flag on code changed for testing, and then do a global search for any flags remaining before the final builds. So that was something else I forgot to do. :(

I've been aware for some time that my 69-year-old brain is not the 50-year-old one I had when I first released Templot. I make silly mistakes, lose concentration, forget things. I try to compensate by double-checking everything several times, but clearly that was not enough to find this bug.

I'm worried that a time will come when my dabbling in the code will do more damage than good. If that happens I do hope someone here will tell me.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 3 Oct 2017 17:32

d827kelly

Coventry - United Kingdom

Never had McAfee give any issues after the initial Windows request to install new software.

2.15b, c and d all installed perfectly.

Only had a brief play with the new features, though not been able to get the maps to work right with my Shepperton inspired plan, but suspect I'm doing something wrong somewhere along the line (it makes the map huge and the track plan tiny or gives a browser error).

posted: 3 Oct 2017 17:52

Nigel Brown

stuart1600 wrote:
I was a bit concerned to read of the problems some of you have had with AVG when uploading Templot.  I have AVG Internet Security package running on a PC with Win7 Home Premium version.
Am I living in a charmed parallel universe?
Stuart...

First time I've ever had a problem with AVG and Templot. The previous version installed fine.

This is on a newly installed Win10 Home and AVG Internet Security; newly installed because the PC a few weeks ago ended up stuck in a Repair loop and I couldn't resolve it.

Nigel

posted: posted: 3 Oct 2017 23:04

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hi Martin.
Just downloaded and installed the latest version of TEMPLOT onto my Acer laptop running in Wine under Linux, no problem as usual.
Regards
Tony.

3 Oct 2017 23:04

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hi Martin.
Just downloaded and installed the latest version of TEMPLOT onto my Acer laptop running in Wine under Linux, no problem as usual.
Regards
Tony.
Edit: At least there wasn't until I tried to post this and got an error message, so tried again and found it had posted twice :shock:.
Last edited on 3 Oct 2017 23:07 by Tony W

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > ADMIN BUG WARNING: adjacent track centres - FIXED
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020