author remove search highlighting

posted: 22 Oct 2017 15:04

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi,

Found this product that may be of use to others for building track on templates when you want to remove the template before laying the track on the layout :-

Double sided low tack tape

Available in 3 widths. Strong adhesive on one side to place face down on the template and low tack ( like a post-it note sticky bit ) on the other surface. Holds the sleepers/timbers in place while adding the chairs and rails but allows the completed track to easily peel off when complete. May even be suitable for re-using the template but not tried that yet.

Other suppliers may be available but I haven't seen any yet.

Rob

posted: 22 Oct 2017 16:58

Nigel Brown

Rob,

Any idea how thick this tape is? Wondering if one could use it the other way around, so remove both track and tape from the template then use the low tack side to lay it.

Nigel

posted: 22 Oct 2017 21:41

Rob Manchester

Nigel Brown wrote:
Rob,

Any idea how thick this tape is? Wondering if one could use it the other way around, so remove both track and tape from the template then use the low tack side to lay it.

Nigel
Hi Nigel,

It is thin just like regular double sided tape if you have ever used that. I just took a piece of the low tack, removed the backing without sticking it to anything and folded it back on itself many times. Very roughly 12 layers gives a total of about 0.9mm in thickness. I said it was thin........HTH :)

It may have some slight 'squash' when pressed together like this but you get the idea. It isn't foam type tape by any means.

Rob

posted: 23 Oct 2017 00:45

Nigel Brown

Rob Manchester wrote:
Nigel Brown wrote:
Rob,

Nigel
Hi Nigel,

It is thin just like regular double sided tape if you have ever used that. I just took a piece of the low tack, removed the backing without sticking it to anything and folded it back on itself many times. Very roughly 12 layers gives a total of about 0.9mm in thickness. I said it was thin........HTH :)

It may have some slight 'squash' when pressed together like this but you get the idea. It isn't foam type tape by any means.

Rob
Interesting. What I tend to do is lay regular double-sided tape along the template with the backing-paper underneath and still on, and fix it at the ends (beyond the template) with magic tape. Cutting the ends of the double-sided tape then enables me to lift the complete track assembly off the template, after which I can remove the backing tape and carefully lay it where I want it. This does have a couple of disadvantages:
(1) because the tape is only fixed at the ends, there's potential for it to shift in the middle, and
(2) you have to be very careful when laying it because moving it if you get it wrong is difficult.

In practice, neither of these is too much of a problem if care is used. But this stuff sounds as though it could make life easier.

Nigel

posted: 23 Oct 2017 00:58

Rob Manchester

Nigel,

Sounds like you need to splash out on a roll. My plan from now on is to use this tape to build chunks of track at the workbench and then remove it from the template and transfer to the layout. Copydex or similar would then be used to fix it down.

I was also thinking that you could use this tape to make the common crossings first using the upside down method on a reversed template with n/s or brass strips to keep the alignment. Maybe I will try that too soon.

Rob

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > Building track at the workbench
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020