topic: 3128new MS marker
author remove search highlighting

posted: 18 Nov 2017 22:44

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I have been asked for an easier way to identify main-side (MS) and turnout-side (TS) of plain track templates when making double-track.

Traditionally if you can't work it out just by looking, you switch the timber numbers on (which are always on the MS). I have also heard of folks inserting a turnout and then removing it again just to find out which side is which. :)

I thought it would help to have a mark permanently visible (as if there aren't enough marks already), so I have added a "hook" mark on the MS side of the CTRL-1 rail-joint marker at the far end of a plain track template. I hope this will be reasonably easy to see when zoomed out, and not get confused with the goal-post marks for the end of a transition zone:

2_181742_020000000.png2_181742_020000000.png

In the next program update.

Martin.

posted: 18 Nov 2017 22:53

JFS

United Kingdom

Excellent! I have long wanted this as so often it seemed to be a case of trial and (almost always) error! Never thought / knew about using the timber numbering...

Well done and many thanks,

Howard
Last edited on 18 Nov 2017 22:56 by JFS
posted: 20 Nov 2017 12:32

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

In a previous life, I used to use the adjacent rails facility for this, but that option disappeared when Templot was updated to show all four rails at once. Like Howard it was then a case of hit or miss, so this will be welcomed.
Regards
Tony.

posted: 20 Nov 2017 15:27

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Tony W wrote:
Like Howard it was then a case of hit or miss, so this will be welcomed.
Hi Tony,

It wasn't supposed to be hit or miss. :) You look along the template towards the CTRL-1 end marker. If it's a Left-Hand template, TS is on the left and MS on the right. And vice-versa for a Right-Hand template. The hand of a plain track template is shown on the info panel.

However, this makes it a lot clearer, at the expense of more clutter on the screen.

You can use template > swap hand (CTRL-X) to swap the hand of a plain track template (no visible change). This swaps the MS and TS sides, which is useful if you have set up differing adjacent track centres.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 21 Nov 2017 12:29

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hi Martin.
Yes, I know it should be possible to work it out, but is is often easier to just suck it and see.
Regards
Tony.

posted: 28 Nov 2017 20:36

dave turner

United Kingdom

Martin, I too welcome some indication. The screen can become cluttered enough particularly when zoomed out. You can't read the timber numbers then, at least on a 15" laptop screen. To what degree the hook remains visible for various screen size v resolution v zoom level remains to be seen. I'll probably still get it wrong time and again.

As an afterthought perhaps just an arrow or series of arrows on the centre line might work at any zoom level.

regards
Dave
Last edited on 28 Nov 2017 20:42 by dave turner

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > new MS marker
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020