Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3130Templot update version 216a now available.
author remove search highlighting

posted: 20 Nov 2017 20:16

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Dear all,

The latest Templot update is now available. Version 216a.

Your copy of Templot should update automatically if you restart it and follow the instructions.

If you have any problems with that, follow the download links on the web site.

For details of the changes in this update please refer to my recent posts. I will summarise the changes here shortly.

N.B. If you see an error message like this while installing the update, please turn off your anti-virus program while installing Templot:

w10_av.pngw10_av.png

regards,

Martin.

posted: 20 Nov 2017 21:04

stuart1600

United Kingdom

Thanks, Martin.
Downloaded without a hitch once I overruled AVG! (using Windows 7)
Looking forward to trying out the various new functions.
Regards,
Stuart

posted: 20 Nov 2017 21:26

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

216a installed fine. No install issues ( with Windows Defender :D )

PDF output looks fine, cheers for looking at this.

The reminders notes look excellent and having them fixed while zooming the trackpad is good.

Rob

posted: 20 Nov 2017 21:50

Suddaby

Derbyshire

It hasn't worked for me, I clicked to update, and all seemed fine, but then it won't open Templot, and I get a message from Avast saying they are investigating. I can't find out how to turn off Avast???

Kevin

posted: 20 Nov 2017 21:57

DaveJ61

Northampton - United Kingdom

The update is fine... no problems here with Windows 10 x64 and Defender.
Jeez.... If people have problems with their anti-virus software, it is nothing to do with Templot so I don't know why people report it on this forum...

posted: 20 Nov 2017 21:58

Martin Wynne

Suddaby wrote:
I can't find out how to turn off Avast???
Hi Kevin,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

For Avast turn-off instructions, see:

http://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-disable-avast-temporarily/

regards,

Martin.

posted: 20 Nov 2017 22:04

Suddaby

Derbyshire

Thanks Martin, followed that and Templot now loads. Do I need to do the download again?

Kevin

posted: 20 Nov 2017 22:10

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Go to Google.com and type 'Disable Avast'

This is the first one it finds :-

http://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-disable-avast-temporarily/

Rob

posted: 20 Nov 2017 22:13

Martin Wynne

Suddaby wrote:
Thanks Martin, followed that and Templot now loads. Do I need to do the download again?
Hi Kevin,

If Templot runs and shows version 2.16.a there is no need to repeat it.

Just to test it, try clicking this:

http://templot.com/sk5/templot_explained_first_off.sk5

When your browser asks, select Open or Run, and you should see a video download and play.

If not it would be worth downloading and installing again (with Avast turned off). Download from the green button at the top of this page.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 20 Nov 2017 22:22

Suddaby

Derbyshire

Sorry, me again!!
I only seem to be able to open Templot with Avast disabled.
It is however showing version 2.16a.
A bit flummoxed!!

Kevin
Last edited on 20 Nov 2017 22:24 by Suddaby
posted: 20 Nov 2017 22:30

Martin Wynne

Hi Kevin,

It sounds as if you would be better off without Avast. :)

Which version of Windows are you using?

I suggest:

1. restart Windows.

2. turn off Avast.

3. download the Templot update file again from:

http://templot.com/downloads/download.htm

4. open/run it (double-click on it) to install the updated version.

5. try running the new Templot.

6. close it.

7. turn Avast back on.

8. try running Templot again.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 20 Nov 2017 22:46

Suddaby

Derbyshire

Hi Martin,

Hall - e - lu - jah. It works!!
Many thanks for your help, and so quickly too!
Also thanks to Rob for the Avast disable secret!!
The only trouble is, I'm too kn*****ed to use it now!
Kevin

posted: 21 Nov 2017 08:02

richard_t

Nr. Spalding, South Holland - United Kingdom

Downloaded the update and my reminder added! Just hoping to get some time to look at it now Winter is here and work in the garden should calm down a bit - Saying that I was mowing the grass last weekend :-(

posted: 21 Nov 2017 09:14

stuart1600

United Kingdom

DaveJ61 wrote:
......If people have problems with their anti-virus software, it is nothing to do with Templot so I don't know why people report it on this forum...
Perhaps it's because they think someone else may have had the same experience and know the solution;  and getting the solution posted here may help others in the future....
Stuart

posted: 21 Nov 2017 09:18

Dave Summers

Urchfont, Devizes - United Kingdom

It's usually the same solution. Turn off the anti-virus protection during installation. There's also a huge library of this and similar solutions available here but it is often the habit to post the question rather than take a couple of minutes using the search facility to find the answer to this (and other) questions.
Dave

posted: 21 Nov 2017 09:31

DaveJ61

Northampton - United Kingdom

Dave Summers wrote:
It's usually the same solution. Turn off the anti-virus protection during installation. There's also a huge library of this and similar solutions available here but it is often the habit to post the question rather than take a couple of minutes using the search facility to find the answer to this (and other) questions.
Dave
I absolutely agree. In general, people tend not to search before posting...

Dave

posted: 21 Nov 2017 09:44

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Updated last night, my anti-virus caught it and asked if I wanted it or report a false recognition, which I did and it loaded perfectly.

Godders

posted: 21 Nov 2017 10:55

Martin Wynne

Dave Summers wrote:
It's usually the same solution. Turn off the anti-virus protection during installation.
Indeed it is. And if it isn't -- I don't know the answer:?

I test Templot on several different systems here, including Wine on Ubuntu. If it works on all of them, that's as much as I know -- I haven't the faintest idea why it wouldn't work somewhere else.

It does raise the question of why these 3rd party anti-virus programs prevent Templot loading when Microsoft's own perfectly adequate and free anti-virus software doesn't.

The answer is that they are a complete rip-off. Instead of scanning the file for actual malicious code (which would be worth paying for), they simply announce it as a threat for no other reason than not recognising it -- simply because none of their other users have downloaded it. Well of course they haven't, if I released it only half an hour ago!

It's getting to be a deterrent to releasing updates, if we have to go through all this every time.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 21 Nov 2017 11:39

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:

It's getting to be a deterrent to releasing updates, if we have to go through all this every time.
Hi Martin
I think you need to be a lot clearer and blunter when you release an update!  Almost all commercial software advises you to turn off anti-virus software before updating or installing, although the free, effective MS version doesn't seem to be bothered.  For this release, you posted one example of an error message - if people don't see that particular error they'll ignore the rest of the post.  If it was me, I would do something like:-

BEFORE INSTALLING THE UPDATE, YOU MUST TURN OFF OR OTHERWISE DISABLE ANY ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE YOU MAY HAVE INSTALLED.  REFER TO THE SUPPLIER OF THE ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO DO THIS.  NO SUPPORT CAN BE OFFERED IF YOU DON'T FIRST DO THIS.

If you do then get problems reported, just ignore them!  I know I've said it before, but it's really beyond me these days why people still have, or even pay for, third party AV programs.  It makes me wonder what sort of dodgy sites they're going on!

Just my thoughts!

Paul

Last edited on 21 Nov 2017 11:40 by Paul Boyd
posted: 21 Nov 2017 11:57

Martin Wynne

Hi Paul,

That seems a bit heavy handed. I don't want folks to turn off Windows Defender (or Microsoft Security Essentials) because there is no need to do that. I want updating Templot to be as easy and quick as possible, without insisting on extra hoops to be jumped through.

Also - "no support can be offered if you don't first do this". There is no support offered with Templot anyway, that's why it is free. I certainly don't want to give the impression that provided you follow the instructions, there will be some support available if it goes wrong.

I answer questions here if I feel like it, and not if I don't. That's why Templot is FREE.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 21 Nov 2017 12:46

Martin Wynne

Keeping things in perspective, there had been 96 downloads of 216a by mid-day today. With only a couple of reports of any problems that I know of.

As a matter of interest, there were a total of 1266 downloads of 215d since its release on 3rd October.

Martin.

posted: 21 Nov 2017 14:38

Nigel Brown

Martin Wynne wrote:
Keeping things in perspective, there had been 96 downloads of 216a by mid-day today. With only a couple of reports of any problems that I know of.

As a matter of interest, there were a total of 1266 downloads of 215d since its release on 3rd October.

Martin.
Spot on. I've downloaded 216a with AVG left on (Windows 10) with no problems whatsoever.

Cheers
Nigel

posted: 21 Nov 2017 15:26

Alan Turner

Dudley - United Kingdom

I have Trend anti-virus and it always stops a direct up-date. I simply down-load it to my Templot folder and load it from there.

Trend always queries it again but from there I can tell it to get on with it. It's the direct up-date that I can't override.

posted: 21 Nov 2017 21:54

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello Martin,
Perhaps you could add a line about anti-virus in the "Are you sure you want this program" box to head off the problem a bit.
Regards
Trevor.:)

posted: 22 Nov 2017 13:10

Ariels Girdle

I found that Panda had a quarantine area where rejected files were listed. If you clicked on the file and OKed it, you could then run the updates. It never quarantined Templot update files again, so I never had to close Panda down to do an install. I have no need of Panda now, so can't remember the precise steps and commands required.

posted: 25 Nov 2017 23:35

Simon Dunkley

Oakham - United Kingdom

No problems downloading onto (into?) a wine bottle for Crossover on my Mac.

However, whilst I appreciate a function button for make branch track, you have reallocated one of the most useful functions to do it, i.e. shift-F6 fir rotating a group 180 degrees, frequently used (by me at least) when joining a group onto a notch, rather than overlaying it into a notch.

Not only is Shift-F6 reallocated, but there is no keyboard shortcut for rotating a group 180 degrees.

Why?

posted: 26 Nov 2017 00:20

Martin Wynne

Simon Dunkley wrote:
Not only is Shift-F6 reallocated, but there is no keyboard shortcut for rotating a group 180 degrees.
Hi Simon,

As every software developer knows, you tamper with established keyboard shortcuts at your peril. :)

A few points:

1. no actual functionality has been removed. You can still rotate a group 180 degrees via the menu.

2. there is still keyboard access if needed via the menu accelerator keys. In this case:

a. press and release ALT, press U, press 1. You don't need to remember these because they are shown underlined on the menu*.

or

b. press and release ALT, right-arrow key along to the group menu, down-arrow key down to the rotate group 180 degrees menu item, press ENTER.

*depending on the settings you have made in Windows, the underlines may not appear until you have pressed ALT.

3. The F-key shortcuts are in short supply and allocated on the basis of the most frequently used functions. I felt that the lack of a shortcut on make branch track was an anomaly, and that it is a function used much more frequently than rotating a group.

On the other hand, I'm open to suggestions. The original shortcut scheme was dreamed up on the back of an envelope sometime around 1997, before I had any idea how the program would subsequently develop, or much knowledge at the time of Windows conventions.

Ideally we would start again with a blank sheet -- and a tin helmet. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 26 Nov 2017 11:24

Martin Wynne

Hi Simon,

Hmm. Another day, another think. :?

I think you are right, I was too hasty in removing the SHIFT+F6 shortcut from rotate group 180 degs.

I'm minded to restore it, and use SHIFT+F7 for make branch track instead.

That's currently on cycle notch, which can be changed to CTRL+C (currently on the metric calculator, which probably doesn't need a shortcut).

That means a program update in short order before folks get too familiar with the previous change. There are one or two other things which I forgot in 216a anyway (including updating the printed F-key chart with this very change :( ).

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Templot update version 216a now available.
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020