Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3135SK5 files on a Mac
author remove search highlighting

posted: 26 Nov 2017 14:27

madscientist

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
these download with a SK5 extension , what player is needed ?, safari has no idea what to do with it ?
thanks and regards 
dave
Last edited on 26 Nov 2017 14:28 by madscientist
posted: 26 Nov 2017 14:40

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

madscientist wrote:
these download with a SK5 extension , what player is needed ?, safari has no idea what to do with it ?
Hi Dave,

It's a small loader file. The loader is part of the Templot 216a install.

Tell Safari not to be so feeble, and open it with:

C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\templot_video_loader.exe

SK5 files should have been associated with the loader program by the installer. It's working fine in Windows and Wine on Linux. Is it not working on a Mac, or did you untick the file association option on the installer?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 26 Nov 2017 15:34

Graham Idle

Redhill, Surrey - United Kingdom

Hi,
Videos are not working on my setup. I have just checked my C:\TEMPLOT_DEV folder and it does not have sk5_loader.exe in it. How can I load this file onto my system? I am using windows 7 pro.
Regards, Graham

posted: 26 Nov 2017 15:47

Martin Wynne

Graham Idle wrote:
Videos are not working on my setup. I have just checked my C:TEMPLOT_DEV folder and it does not have sk5_loader.exe in it. How can I load this file onto my system? I am using windows 7 pro.
Regards, Graham

Hi Graham,

Sorry, that should have been:

But it should be working on Windows 7, assuming you have installed the 216a update?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 26 Nov 2017 20:31

Martin Wynne

Hi Dave,

Did you get it to work?

I'm struggling to get definitive information about exactly what happens on a Mac. There doesn't seem to be a consensus among users. I don't want to have to buy one just to find out. :(

Are you using Winebottler? CrossOver? Some other Wine installer? Windows in a virtual machine? Dual-boot into Windows? Dual-boot into Linux+Wine?

Have you tried a different browser? Firefox seems to be by far the most user-friendly with regard to downloaded files.

Anyway, for anyone who has SK5 files which won't open from the browser, I have added yet more menu items:

2_261524_470000000.png2_261524_470000000.png

You will need to know where to find the downloaded file, of course.

In the next program update.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Nov 2017 10:05

Graham Idle

Hello Martin,

I have just checked the templot folder and I only have a file called  TEMPLOT_VIDEO_LOADER.VIR, but no exe file.
I am sure that I installed the last update the same way as all previous updates so I have no idea what has gone wrong.

Regards, Graham

Martin Wynne wrote:
Graham Idle wrote:
Videos are not working on my setup. I have just checked my C:TEMPLOT_DEV folder and it does not have sk5_loader.exe in it. How can I load this file onto my system? I am using windows 7 pro.
Regards, Graham

Hi Graham,

But it should be working on Windows 7, assuming you have installed the 216a update?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Nov 2017 12:23

Martin Wynne

Hi Graham,

Your anti-virus program has decided that the Templot video loader program contains a virus (it doesn't), and has renamed it as .vir instead of .exe.

You need to tell it that it is not a virus. Refer to the anti-virus instructions.

Alternatively, simply renaming it as .exe might work, if it has made no other changes to it.

Or you could turn off your anti-virus program while you install Templot again.

Since there is no actual virus in templot_video_loader.exe, clearly your anti-virus program has not scanned it, and has decided that it doesn't like it simply because it has not seen it before.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Nov 2017 13:49

madscientist

sorry martin , only back in front of the mac

Im running Windows 7 in Parallels ,in coherence mode, which means the windows , windows, appear as mac widows , if you see what I mean hence safari is the default browser

PS: I used to search for videos and tutorials on Templot using Google, but all the searches now lead to 404s !!, have you removed the material ?

posted: 27 Nov 2017 14:00

madscientist

Martin Wynne wrote:
Hi Dave,

Did you get it to work?

I'm struggling to get definitive information about exactly what happens on a Mac. There doesn't seem to be a consensus among users. I don't want to have to buy one just to find out. :(

Are you using Winebottler? CrossOver? Some other Wine installer? Windows in a virtual machine? Dual-boot into Windows? Dual-boot into Linux+Wine?

Have you tried a different browser? Firefox seems to be by far the most user-friendly with regard to downloaded files.

Anyway, for anyone who has SK5 files which won't open from the browser, I have added yet more menu items:

2_261524_470000000.png2_261524_470000000.png

You will need to know where to find the downloaded file, of course.

In the next program update.

regards,

Martin.
no martin it doesnt work because as far as I can see , Mac finder does not allow associations with a .exe to be assigned to file types , you have to wrap the app in a Applescript or other wrapper to fool the Mac into believing its a valid application 
The solution of opening the SK5 file directly in Templot , albeit a little more work should be fine , in my case the video player ,exe are present in the C:/Templot_DEV  folder  and popup 

AT present I cant access any training resource , as the older material is gone and the newer videos are inaccessible ..... sniff sniff .......

regards 

Dave 

posted: 27 Nov 2017 14:06

madscientist

I notice that directly invoking the " basic viewer " brings up a windows app that only takes fbr files it doesnt know anything about sk5 files

Its all getting quite complex Martin, surely just placing the videos on your website and playing them there is easier and more sustainable that a hybrid app/website approach

posted: 27 Nov 2017 14:14

Martin Wynne

madscientist wrote:
no martin it doesnt work because as far as I can see , Mac finder does not allow associations with a .exe to be assigned to file types , you have to wrap the app in a Applescript or other wrapper to fool the Mac into believing its a valid application 
The solution of opening the SK5 file directly in Templot , albeit a little more work should be fine , in my case the video player ,exe are present in the C:/Templot_DEV  folder  and popup 

AT present I cant access any training resource , as the older material is gone and the newer videos are inaccessible ..... sniff sniff .......

Hi Dave,

Sorry about the dead links, see:

topic 3132

I'm sorry, I can't follow your stuff about coherence mode or Mac finder. It seems the only solution is for me to actually buy a Mac to discover how this thing works.

I assumed that once you are in Windows or Wine, the Apple stuff would no longer apply. :?

If Windows-style file associations don't work, I'm baffled how Winebottler and CrossOver can claim to run Windows applications on a Mac.

I will try to get 216b released today.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Nov 2017 14:21

Martin Wynne

madscientist wrote:
I notice that directly invoking the " basic viewer " brings up a windows app that only takes fbr files it doesnt know anything about sk5 files

Its all getting quite complex Martin, surely just placing the videos on your website and playing them there is easier and more sustainable that a hybrid app/website approach
Hi Dave,

With Flash effectively dead, the only option for web pages is MP4, and I have decided that I just can't live with it. Watching it gives me a headache.

I am trying to simplify things rather than complicate them by sticking to one format only, FBR.

The SK5 loader means that they need to be downloaded only once, and can be played again by clicking the web link as many times as you like without downloading again. It also puts the video title in the player's caption bar.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Nov 2017 14:47

madscientist

Martin Wynne wrote:
madscientist wrote:

Hi Dave,

Sorry about the dead links, see:

topic 3132

I'm sorry, I can't follow your stuff about coherence mode or Mac finder. It seems the only solution is for me to actually buy a Mac to discover how this thing works.

I assumed that once you are in Windows or Wine, the Apple stuff would no longer apply. :?

If Windows-style file associations don't work, I'm baffled how Winebottler and CrossOver can claim to run Windows applications on a Mac.

I will try to get 216b released today.

regards,

Martin.
SO Im running Parallels see http://www.parallels.com ( i.e. a virtual machine) on the Mac, hence I have a genuine copy of windows 7 running. its not Wine or crossover, which are emulators 
Parallels have a option called " coherence ", where the Windows 7 " windows " simply appear on the mac UI desktop, There is no Windows Desktop, only a mac desktop 

It works extremely well and I use it for a whole host of CAD, software IDEs and the like that only run on Windows 

However in Coherence , the default browser is Mac safari , so requests for a browser form Windows 7 app, in Coherence mode , starts Mac Safari .

Mac Safari cannot assign .exe apps as file extensions , as Mac Finder ( the file browser) will not support these types as " applications ", Hence Safari cannot handle SK5 types if that requires a non native Mac app to access it.

I appreciate your issue with HTMl/flash, but you are fashioning a rod to beat your own back with the approach you are taking , in my humble opinion 

as always Templot is great 
Dave 

posted: 27 Nov 2017 14:52

madscientist

thats fine , but the companion is largely bereft of information and in fact many of the links in the companion access now dead links , personally in the last few days I have struggled to access any information on Templot at all 
Hi Dave, Sorry about the dead links, see:  topic 3132

posted: 27 Nov 2017 15:00

madscientist

Martin , A further issue in the Templot companion , there are a number of video sequences , e.g.

http://templot.com/companion/fit_turnout_to_existing_curves.php

These present as a series of small " slides " with a request to click on the first one to begin , On safari , nothing happens !! , what is suppose to happen ?
Last edited on 27 Nov 2017 15:02 by madscientist
posted: 27 Nov 2017 15:29

Martin Wynne

madscientist wrote:
Martin , A further issue in the Templot companion , there are a number of video sequences , e.g.

http://templot.com/companion/fit_turnout_to_existing_curves.php

These present as a series of small " slides " with a request to click on the first one to begin , On safari , nothing happens !! , what is suppose to happen ?
Hi Dave,

That was an old experimental format for that page only. I didn't continue with it for any other pages. I have no idea why it doesn't work on Safari.

At the bottom of that page, click plain text version / no script / page print, and you should be able to follow the drop-down content.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Nov 2017 15:38

Martin Wynne

madscientist wrote:
Parallels have a option called " coherence ", where the Windows 7 " windows " simply appear on the mac UI desktop, There is no Windows Desktop, only a mac desktop
Hi Dave,

I don't feel that I can reasonably be expected to support a combined Mac/Windows format about which I know nothing.

Are you able to switch out of coherence to a full Windows desktop when running Templot?

As far as I know most Mac users of Templot use CrossOver or Winebottler to run Templot. Have you tried it (Winebottler is free)? This avoids the expense of buying extra software such as Parallels and a copy of Windows.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Nov 2017 15:53

madscientist

Martin Wynne wrote:
madscientist wrote:
Hi Dave,

I don't feel that I can reasonably be expected to support a combined Mac/Windows format about which I know nothing.

Are you able to switch out of coherence to a full Windows desktop when running Templot?

As far as I know most Mac users of Templot use CrossOver or Winebottler to run Templot. Have you tried it (Winebottler is free)? This avoids the expense of buying extra software such as Parallels and a copy of Windows.

regards,

Martin.
Im not expecting you to support Parallels at all. Its the market leader in virtual machines and is way more stable and useable then emulators, which loads of windows software actually breaks . I wouldn't  dream of using a freeware emulator , I use my Mac to earn  a living :D. Coherence mode has no bearing on Templot at all.  I was merely explaining the setup. The issue is compatibility with Safari, which is a good HTML 5 compliance browser by the way , certainly better then IE. 
However I do think its reasonable to expect that web based solutions would successfully run in Safari on a Mac, thats not an unreasonable expectation.  This is the kernel of the issue, the use of solutions that are not cross browser platform in any way.  The issue of .SK5 is not a Parallels issue, its a format that is not supported by Safari, and Macs are a big proportion of web browsers out there 

it should be noted that Templot is rock solid in Parallels as you would expect , as its running on a genuine Windows virtual machine after all. 

<venting>its a source of increasing frustration that companies developing web software dont test or badly test their software on browsers other then Google Chrome and IE. Yes Macs are about 12% of desktops, but thats still a very reasonable percentage </venting>

regards 

Dave 

Last edited on 27 Nov 2017 15:54 by madscientist
posted: 27 Nov 2017 16:10

Martin Wynne

madscientist wrote:
I wouldn't  dream of using a freeware emulator
Hi Dave,

Wine is a self-reference acronym for "Wine is not an emulator". In effect it's a replacement open-source operating system. You will need a tin helmet if you start calling it an emulator. :)

Nor is it freeware if you buy the supported CrossOver version from Codeweavers.

p.s. they have a big discount for today only! see:

http://www.codeweavers.com/cybersteals

(no connection)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Nov 2017 16:26

Martin Wynne

madscientist wrote:
However I do think its reasonable to expect that web based solutions would successfully run in Safari on a Mac, thats not an unreasonable expectation.  This is the kernel of the issue, the use of solutions that are not cross browser platform in any way.  The issue of .SK5 is not a Parallels issue, its a format that is not supported by Safari, and Macs are a big proportion of web browsers out there
Hi Dave,

SK5 is not a format that is supported by any browser, it is private to Templot.

I'm not expecting any browser to support it -- simply to download the file and launch the application associated with it in the Windows registry if the user so requests. A browser should do that for any file if the header marks it as an attachment.

The problem is not the format, but the file association. The "coherence" mode is not complete if the browser can't see the Windows registry.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Nov 2017 17:36

Graham Idle

Hi Martin,

Just renamed the file but it still isn't working. Have told avira to ignore that file so hopefully it should work with the new program update.

Many thanks, Graham

Martin Wynne wrote:
Graham Idle wrote:
Regards, Graham

Hi Graham,

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Nov 2017 19:46

madscientist

Martin Wynne wrote:
madscientist wrote:
Hi Dave,

SK5 is not a format that is supported by any browser, it is private to Templot.

I'm not expecting any browser to support it -- simply to download the file and launch the application associated with it in the Windows registry if the user so requests. A browser should do that for any file if the header marks it as an attachment.

The problem is not the format, but the file association. The "coherence" mode is not complete if the browser can't see the Windows registry.

regards,

Martin.
Lets leave this martin , the issue is that the Mac will not allow safari to associate file open with an application that is not a mac app. since there is no mac viewer app, safari cannot  accept it as an application extension ,  end of story.  Its nothing to do with Coherence mode or Parallels I can force the system to use IE in the windows mode, ( OMG I cant beleive I have to open a Windows based browser ) :roll::D
Last edited on 27 Nov 2017 19:47 by madscientist
posted: 27 Nov 2017 19:53

madscientist

Wine is a self-reference acronym for "Wine is not an emulator". In effect it's a replacement open-source operating system. You will need a tin helmet if you start calling it an emulator.:)

Its in effect an emulator , because only a virtual machine running a copy of Windows is not an emulator, anything that reports to be Windows to the application but isnt, is by  definition  an emulator . I have a copy of Wine , Wine is a sort of on the fly emulator in that it doesn't emulate the internals of Windows, but it presents an emulated interface all the same .  

Tin hat firmly on:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
Last edited on 27 Nov 2017 19:56 by madscientist
posted: 27 Nov 2017 20:00

madscientist

Good news, there was a way to associate the files with the windows viewer, just me being dense

posted: 27 Nov 2017 20:07

Martin Wynne

madscientist wrote:
I can force the system to use IE in the windows mode, ( OMG I cant beleive I have to open a Windows based browser ) :roll::D
Hi Dave,

Many have done it and lived to tell the tale. :)

But please not IE. Firefox for preference. Microsoft Edge works quite well if you have Windows10. Opera is nice to use.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 28 Jan 2018 16:07

Martin Wynne

madscientist wrote:
Good news, there was a way to associate the files with the windows viewer, just me being dense
Hi Dave,

Please could you provide chapter and verse for this?

Thanks,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > SK5 files on a Mac
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020