author remove search highlighting

posted: 15 Jan 2008 05:07

Adrian

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Following on from the post on Point rodding pics
topic 169
I have been trialing the use of gimp to work out the geometry, so far with mixed sucess but I think I started at the deep end! So just reporting on progress.
As a reminder the starting point!
Attachment: attach_210_314_3way.jpg 315

posted: 15 Jan 2008 05:13

Adrian

I then used the shear and perspective tools in gimp as detailed by Martyn.
It worked quite easily to get something that looked right. Unfortunately when loaded as a background shape in Templot it was difficult to get anything matching. I then realised that despite being careful on the use of the perspective tool I had mis-judged it slightly so I was getting gauge widening through the turnout. If I set the approach road to the right gauge then it'd be 8% to 10% out at the crossing.
So now I use the measure tool in gimp to check the gauge is constant through the turnout before loading it into Templot.
Looks are deceptive, in the photo it looks like the gauge is wider at the top than the bottom, but the gauge is in fact a constant width through the turnout.
Attachment: attach_211_314_3way_measure.jpg 319
Last edited on 15 Jan 2008 05:15 by Adrian
posted: 15 Jan 2008 05:29

Adrian

On my previous attempt I stretched the image too much in Templot so on Martyns suggestion tried something a little shorter.
So this attempt is a 12ft switch and a 1:6 crossing.
Looking reasonable I'd be happy to using at this standard but it's not quite right on the match. The curve on the rails on the turnout sides doesn't quite match between the switch and the crossing. Using a slightly shallower crossing might help but increases the overall length.

I'll still perservere because it's been quite instructive in the geometry of the turnouts and the interaction between the switch settings and crossing.

Adrian
Attachment: attach_212_314_3way_m3.jpg 308

posted: 17 Jan 2008 04:49

Adrian

Hopefully some one will correct me if I'm getting this wrong. I wasn't happy with the previous attempt as the centre crossing just didn't align correctly.
looking at the photo it seemd to me that for the left hand turnout in particular the section between the left-hand crossing and the centre crossing was virtually straight.
I had visions of mixing and matching all sorts of part templates to get the geometry but then I found the option "length of entry straight in front of fine point" in the "real > V crossing options...".
So a little further tweaking has got me this far which I'm happier with. I think I'll crack on with the rest of the design now and see how it fits in the overall scheme.

Adrian
Attachment: attach_217_314_3way_str.jpg 294

posted: 17 Jan 2008 05:09

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Adrian wrote:
looking at the photo it seemd to me that for the left hand turnout in particular the section between the left-hand crossing and the centre crossing was virtually straight.
Hi Adrian,

Well spotted. That's quite unusual I think.

I had visions of mixing and matching all sorts of part templates to get the geometry but then I found the option "length of entry straight in front of fine point" in the "real > V crossing options...".
That mouse action was introduced in 091. Previously you could do it by entering the figures, but having it as a mouse action is proving incredibly useful. One of those "why didn't I think of this before" moments. :)

Note that it works only if the V-crossing is the regular type. There is no entry straight for the generic and curviform types of V-crossing.

Thanks for uploading your gimping results -- it's looking very promising. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 17 Jan 2008 05:19

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

I wrote: 
That mouse action was introduced in 091. Previously you could do it by entering the figures, but having it as a mouse action is proving incredibly useful. One of those "why didn't I think of this before" moments. :)
Hi Adrian,

Oops! I just re-read your message and realised that you did enter the figures! Sorry about that. If you are using version 091b you can make that adjustment by mouse action -- action > mouse actions: real > adjust V-crossing entry straight menu item. It's very handy.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 17 Jan 2008 05:49

Adrian

Martin Wynne wrote:

Oops! I just re-read your message and realised that you did enter the figures! Sorry about that. If you are using version 091b you can make that adjustment by mouse action -- action > mouse actions: real > adjust V-crossing entry straight menu item. It's very handy.

Thanks for pointing that out, I am using 0.91b but I keep forgetting to check the "action" menu.

Adrian
Last edited on 17 Jan 2008 05:50 by Adrian

Templot Club > Forums > Prototype pics > Using gimp on turnouts
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020